PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Exodus review/thoughts

bassbot
22nd June 2010, 12:47 PM
Hi all, I noticed that my LCS (Parramatta's "Phantom Zone") has the novel Transformers: Exodus being released this week - so thought i'd set up a thread ready to go with comments.

Is anyone else interested/excited about the latest TF novel?!?

Sharky
22nd June 2010, 12:57 PM
Is anyone else interested/excited about the latest TF novel?!?

i have to admit i have not been that interested in the novels as of late, maybe because i didnt really like one or tw of the other ones.......

would be interesteing to see what people thought though

kup
22nd June 2010, 01:30 PM
i have to admit i have not been that interested in the novels as of late, maybe because i didnt really like one or tw of the other ones.......

would be interesteing to see what people thought though

I read the first Transformers prequel novel - It wasn't very good (barely ok) and on top of that, it seems to have been based on a very early script of the movie as it doesn't really fit in continuity with the Bay film.

As a result, I won't be jumping to buy this novel unless there is good reason to.

5FDP
22nd June 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm buying it online (The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780345519856/Transformers-Exodus)) when the Transformers Animated Almanac Vol. 2 becomes available.

GoktimusPrime
22nd June 2010, 08:01 PM
the only TF novel I read was "Hardwired" by Scott Ciencin... which was an absolute POS IMHO. I'd much rather read Shane McCarthy's work over Ciencin's any day! I have interest in reading the rest of the Keepers series. I haven't read any of the movieverse novels, but I've been told that they're rather mediocre.

bassbot
23rd June 2010, 10:37 AM
David Cian redeemed Ciencin's work imo, and I enjoyed reading the quasi-classic dreamwave characters. the editing was way off, but I still enjoyed it.

The movie tie-in novels suffered from being tied to movie continuity, but reading them as novels was still interesting, although i prefer the original prequel to the ROTF prequel.

Anyhow, i've been in a reading glut recently so looking forward to adding this to my pile!

christalcase
24th June 2010, 09:39 AM
If you guys are unsure whether you'll like the book or not... the first four chapters are available to be read online:

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/discover/movie-news/EXODUS.cfm

Paulbot
24th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Those first four chapters are an intriguing read and I'm eagerly waiting to receive my copy of the book.

There seems to be a lot of references that make sense to us, but as a standalone scifi novel I wonder what casual TF fans or non-TF will make of it?

My only gripe with the content in the preview is very light spoiler the unimaginative naming of "Slaughter City".

5FDP
24th June 2010, 10:13 AM
If you guys are unsure whether you'll like the book or not... the first four chapters are available to be read online:

http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/discover/movie-news/EXODUS.cfm

Thanks for posting that up christalcase.

Hmmm... not sure what to make of it. It seems very disjointed in my view which makes it difficult to read.

bassbot
25th June 2010, 11:11 AM
only read the first two chapters on that link (thanks btw!) and picking it up tomorrow morning.
Interesting so far. Gotta read more to make a good judgement.

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st July 2010, 12:28 AM
Up to chapetr 5 at the moment and not entirely sure what I think. Sor of yes with a little bit of no right now. Progressing nicely though and I think I will like it as I move in.

Big qualm I have is robot mode being called 'proto-form'...

griffin
1st July 2010, 04:33 AM
Judging by what Hasbro was saying at their Sunday BotCon Panel, the Exodus book is the launch-pad of their long-term storyline (outside of the movie), relating to The First 13, War For Cybertron, and anything else over the next several years.

Hasbro's Aaron Archer worked with a number of other people over a period of time to structure a long-term framework/direction of the Brand... so based on that, if you want to know where TFs will be going for the next 5+ years, the Exodus book 'should' be the introduction fans need to read.

(until such time that I ever end up reading the book, or reading a review of its contents, this is the impression I got from Hasbro over the Book's purpose)

reillyd
1st July 2010, 07:18 PM
Judging by what Hasbro was saying at their Sunday BotCon Panel, the Exodus book is the launch-pad of their long-term storyline (outside of the movie), relating to The First 13, War For Cybertron, and anything else over the next several years.

Well many fans will be disappointed. I've just finished reading the IDW Cybertron comic, which claims to be an 'adaption' of the book Exodus.

I'm hoping its just a BAD adaption, but did you know that autobots did not exist until AFTER the decepticons? All Cybertronians had free will, and were autonomous robots or Autobots, as Optimus called them. Optimus strongly supported the core arguments of the Decepticon cause, and called Megatron friend and brother. The High Council appears to have been a capitalist mining company (think BP), who forbade miners from having ACTUAL NAMES.

It hints that there were actual laws against it, as a representative challenged Megatron's "right" to call himself Megatron.

So there's a tad part of the IDW Megatron series being brought in, but a complete retcon on the history of the Autobots.

I haven't played much of the game yet, but does that plotline tally with what's expressed in the game?

Maruten
2nd July 2010, 09:58 AM
I'm only a few chapters into the novel but already there are several clashes between Exodus and WfC, and from what everyone's saying there are heaps more to come.

Autocon
2nd July 2010, 11:12 PM
can someone post the four chapters? it keeps saying they are broken and cant be repaired:confused:

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th July 2010, 10:35 PM
I am about halfway through and although there are some nice nods to G1-iness, there seems to be a lot of things that are tacked on too. The combaticons are mentioned as Bruticus Maximus and then called Constructicons and My feelings so far are that the books kind of goes against the game in a couple of ways.

Seems a bit of research into the plot of the game wouldn't have gone astray...

Possible Spoiler alert:

Optimus gets called optimus prime as he is made leader of the Autobots by the council, but the game has him starting as just plain old Optimus, until he gets the Matrix of leadership and then he becomes prime.

End of spolers

5FDP
9th July 2010, 11:00 PM
can someone post the four chapters? it keeps saying they are broken and cant be repaired:confused:

It's working fine for me dude. Give it another try.

kup
10th July 2010, 07:46 PM
I have zero confidence in Archer so he being heavily involved is not a plus. I am afraid that he will introduce weird concepts to the lore that rewrite it into something lesser and more simplified than what it was.