PDA

View Full Version : Visiting USA

sanbot
23rd June 2010, 12:21 PM
Hey all,

I'm thinking of going to USA in november and doing a road trip along the west coast over 2 weeks. So was wondering what places along the west coast are worth visiting for TF shopping?

So far I have in mind to goto LA, San Fran, Las Vegas and Vancouver. But in between locations not sure where to visit?

Also, this being my first time in USA and by myself as well, I'm somewhat nervous about driving. Is it hard to drive and get use to driving on the other side? Do I need to get an permits to drive or is a valid drivers license all I need?

Would also love to hear anybody's suggestions on what route's to take and what places are worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!

jaydisc
23rd June 2010, 10:22 PM
Driving's not too tricky, but too each their own. When I moved here (I'm American), another ex-pat gave me a piece of advice to always remember that approaching cars should be on the same of the car you are sitting on. So when you're there driving a left hand drive, opposing cars should be on the left. This worked for me. Bonus tip: In America, unless told otherwise, you can make a right at red light. ;) (would be the equivalent of being allowed to make left turns at red lights here)

If you're going to be driving, about an hour south of SF is Monterey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_California), Big Sur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur) and the 17 Mile Drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive), which is some of the most gorgeous coastal road in the world. Highly recommend. Monterey's a pretty nice town too. There's a renown aquarium, a nice wharf, plus more.

In between San Fran and Vancouver are two of my favorite American cities, Portland and Seattle. I'm not sure Portland has much to offer to tourists, but Seattle does. The Pacific North West, as it's referred to, is generally beautiful and the most progressive part of America.

As far as TF shopping, there's basically a Walmart every 5 miles across most of America unfortunately. Targets aplenty too. TRUs are more sparse. They aren't doing very well and are being enveloped by their more successful BRU sister. Kmart is virtually dead and that about covers it. I don't much insight to specialty shops in that part of the country.

Remember to take advantage of the free Wifi that's virtually everywhere, e.g. Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera Bread

Robzy
23rd June 2010, 10:44 PM
Heya - sounds very cool!! :)

I went to the US all by myself when I was about 21. It was pretty exciting, but I was definitely nervous too. I actually hired a car and drove all around the east coast and the west coast (about 2 weeks each). I did meet up with my brother, who was coming back from Paris, which made it a little easier.

There's heaps I could tell you... driving on the other side of the road takes a little getting used to. It feels so foreign (pardon the pun) because you just feel like you want to use the wrong hands. Even turning at an intersection is really daunting... you hope that your mind can remember to stay on the other side of the road :D But, tbh, I had similar problems with just crossing the street on the first day - I kept looking the wrong direction, thinking it was clear, before remembering the traffic was behind me.

As for the licence; when I did it, I didn't need anything else apart from my normal Australian one. But things may well have changed, and it's advisable to get an international licence anyway. It just saves you from any potential hassles.

I drove from LA to Las Vegas, then on to Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, and up to San Fran. I then headed back down the coast, which is gorgeous, past Monterey (Cannery Row) and Morro Bay, down to all the "Santas", then back to Disneyland... err, I mean LA.

sanbot
24th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! All useful. I'll be sure to take advantage of the free wifi especially to use assisted gps on my phone and be sure to look the correct direction before crossing the street hehe

From the sounds of it, TF shopping in the States isn't all that exciting? But I am sure I would still be fascinated by Walmart. I've heard everything is bigger in the States including the shops.

What are the speed limits like? Are there any "weird" road rules/signages that I should be aware of?

The locations you guys mentioned sound great. What about drives that go through "foresty" areas?

I always been keen to experience hanging out with the locals. What would be the best way to do that for a lone traveller?

Robzy, when you travelled by yourself, how did you find the experience in general? Like, did you still go out to restaurants by yourself etc?

Saintly
6th July 2010, 06:36 PM
"foresty" areas... Virginia was nice to drive through...

Speed limit is around 100k but in miles.

Tolls are mainly in the eastern states.

jaydisc
6th July 2010, 07:45 PM
What are the speed limits like? Are there any "weird" road rules/signages that I should be aware of?

The locations you guys mentioned sound great. What about drives that go through "foresty" areas?

I always been keen to experience hanging out with the locals. What would be the best way to do that for a lone traveller?

Speed limit is typically 55 MPH, but if you go less than 67, you get honked at, but that's maybe just New York :D

The only weird road rule is the one I mentioned: Left on red is cool after you've come to a complete stop.

Big Sur while heavily coastal is also gloriously foresty for much of it. It's the best of both worlds. But head further North and you'll see the amazing Redwood Forest (http://www.nps.gov/redw/).

Best way to hang out with the locals is to simply open your mouth. As soon as Americans hear an Australian accent, they'll flock to you :)

sanbot
8th July 2010, 12:25 PM
Speed limit is typically 55 MPH, but if you go less than 67, you get honked at, but that's maybe just New York :D

The only weird road rule is the one I mentioned: Left on red is cool after you've come to a complete stop.

Big Sur while heavily coastal is also gloriously foresty for much of it. It's the best of both worlds. But head further North and you'll see the amazing Redwood Forest (http://www.nps.gov/redw/).

Best way to hang out with the locals is to simply open your mouth. As soon as Americans hear an Australian accent, they'll flock to you :)

I think wherever I drive I'll probably be honked at since I'll be driving extra carefully :o

Redwood forest looks nice. But do I have to get out of the car to see that or is it clearly visable whilst driving?

I'll be sure to work on exagerating my aussie accent when conversating with the locals.

Saintly, thx for the tip. I'll be sure to check it out next time I go to the east coast.

llamatron
8th July 2010, 07:45 PM
Most Americans love "aussies" and the accent.

Right on Red.

Eat at the following:

In N Out
Chick-Fil-A
IHOP
Denny's
Taco Bell

jaydisc
8th July 2010, 09:29 PM
Right on Red.

Shit. I've been here too long. :D

Wheel-J
8th July 2010, 09:32 PM
It might also be worth to mention about the 4-way stop in case you find one.

And "take away" is the same as "to go" :)

sanbot
9th July 2010, 10:38 AM
Most Americans love "aussies" and the accent.

Right on Red.

Eat at the following:

In N Out
Chick-Fil-A
IHOP
Denny's
Taco Bell

mmm I can already taste the greased up and oversized junk food

what is up with american's loving the aussie accent?

llamatron
9th July 2010, 10:43 AM
what is up with american's loving the aussie accent?

I think Crocodile Dundee made a good impression. Anyway, it's probably enough to get you laid so go nuts and play it up to the extreme.

jaydisc
9th July 2010, 11:12 AM
Don't forget to try one of these:

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/

Bartrim
9th July 2010, 11:18 AM
I think Crocodile Dundee made a good impression. Anyway, it's probably enough to get you laid so go nuts and play it up to the extreme.

Worked for me. Never been to America but met an American girl and apparently I have a real thick Australian accent which she absolutely loved. It was sort of liked that scene in "Love Actually"where the English guy goes to America except there was only one girl... and she didn't look quite as good:D

I also have a friend from NZ who is rather short and when he went to America he managed to score by telling girls he was an extra in the Shire scenes in "Lord of the Rings":D

sanbot
9th July 2010, 11:31 AM
Being an asian I don't think I fit the stereotype aussie, well at least not based on dundee. I reakon I'll prolly get a lot of where you from questions. To which I'll reply Australia and then they'll go where you really from?! :p

Mann I am so going to clog up my arteries with all that juicy greasy goodness.
I reakon I'll prolly be hated on for eating so much junk but not getting fat coz of my skinny asian genes.

Paulbot
9th July 2010, 11:33 AM
Have fun in the US. I want to go back again (but the long flight puts me off, and the cost).

Don't forget to try one of these:

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/

Or you could try the Grilled Cheese Burger Melt (http://consumerist.com/2010/06/friendlys-grilled-cheese-burger-melt-is-coming-for-your-arteries.html) - a hamburger where each bun is a grilled cheese sandwich! (highlighted on last night's Colbert Report - watch (http://videos.nymag.com/video/Colbert-Report-on-the-Grilled-C#c=NXHCN632KN7BJPCT&t=Colbert%20Report%20on%20the%20Grilled%20Cheese%2 0Burger%20Melt))

jaydisc
9th July 2010, 12:30 PM
That was such a good Report last night, probably also why the Double Down was front of my mind. I was laughing the entire episode.

sanbot
9th July 2010, 12:33 PM
Have fun in the US. I want to go back again (but the long flight puts me off, and the cost).
[/URL])

Paulbot, the airfares have gone down a lot since last year. You can get as cheap as $900 with Delta airlines (although they still have those old airplanes).