PDA

View Full Version : Macross Acquisitions

jaydisc
2nd July 2010, 02:12 PM
I think it's time we start one of these up, as these just get too buried in other acquisition threads and I think there's enough of us here with interest.

My first valkyrie!

http://itfdb.com/temporary/tf/P1000318.jpg

Muchos gracias to Tober for answering my numerous questions over the past year or so, as well as just recently spotting it for me quite cheaply at Ami Ami. Thank you!

Mr Ed
2nd July 2010, 09:39 PM
Nice acquisition.

Just recently I bought 8 * 1/100 scale Toynami Macross Valkyries

Skull leader Roy Fokker (with Space kit)
Brown VF 1-A (with Space kit)
Rick Hunter VF 1-A - plain white with red surrounds
Red skull leader Rick Hunter
Red skull pack Rick Hunter
Blue skill pack Max Sterling
Entirely Blue Valkyrie - Max Sterliing
Entirely Red Valkyrie - Milia Sterling.

When I have time I will post them pictures of them.

They were pretty cheap. Only $50 each from Toyworld Brisbane City. I dont know how many are left as I got them 1 month ago and the last time I went the supplies were being depleted.

Whilst quality is not best, its better than nothing. I loved Macross/Robotech as a kid.

I remember playing with Roy Fokkers Skull Leader mech as a kid - similar to TF Jetfire. My friends purchased it in Hong Kong probably in the mid 1980's!!

Fungal Infection
2nd July 2010, 11:46 PM
Picked all these up last month (the biggest and most expensive single month I've had ever in terms of toy acquisitions):

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Redboost77/Acquisitions/acquisitions196.jpg

L-R:
Macross Quarter
Queadluun-Rau (Max)
DX VF-25F Tornado
Queadluun-Rau (Miria)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Redboost77/Acquisitions/acquisitions197.jpg

Toynami Masterpiece Beta Fighters

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Redboost77/Acquisitions/acquisitions198.jpg

Bandai Super VF-1A (Hikaru and Max types)

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q305/Redboost77/Acquisitions/acquisitions199.jpg

Yamato 1/60 V2s
Super VF-1J Max
VF-1D
VF-1J Hikaru and GBP-1S Armour
Super VF-1J Miria

Also have received my shipping notice for the YF-21 reissue. After that arrives, that will probably will end up being my last purchase for a very long time as I've just made an even bigger purchase which will occupy me for quite some time.....

Tober
3rd July 2010, 01:50 AM
My first valkyrie!

Muchos gracias to Tober for answering my numerous questions over the past year or so, as well as just recently spotting it for me quite cheaply at Ami Ami. Thank you!

What do you think of it?

jaydisc
3rd July 2010, 03:26 PM
It's very neat. The level of detail on the Valkyrie is impressive. It's a gorgeous piece. The landing gear is really neat; meticulously detailed. The stiffness of certain key joints is very impressive, namely the thighs and shoulders, although it's a bit tough getting the arms back into place in jet mode due to the stiffness of that shoulder joint. There are certain things I've had to exert a bit of pressure making me nervous (this isn't some cheap toy I can exchange at Kmart), like getting the rear landing gear to come out the first time, covering the flap on the underside of the nosecone after attaching the nosecone to the metal bar in robot mode, getting the gun in robot mode's hand, with the palm gripping it and the finger on the trigger.

I haven't played with a Jetfire since I was a kid and much of the transformation is the same, but there are some differences (advancements?) like the way the nose cone locks into the metal thigh bar.

The armor is a bit of fun. It reminds me of my first "dress up" robot, a Combat Calibur. It's quite different to Transformers in that regard, but a bit of fun nonetheless. The armor is well designed in the ways it attaches without restricting robot movement too much.

All in all, it's very impressive. A lot of attention clearly has gone into it. There are no QC issues I've noticed, so that helps.

I have no intention of getting any more, which isn't meant to be seen as a negative, but rather a reflection of the lack of diversity from toy to toy as well as their price. When I ordered my first Macross toy, a Yamato 1/60 Destroid Tomahawk, they accidentally sent me a Defender, which, in the end, they told me to keep, so I now have 3 Macross toys. I would like to maybe get one more of the different jet molds (thinking Double Nuts or Bird of Prey), and a Monster when & if released, but that will probably be the end of my small Macross collection.

Lord_Zed
5th July 2010, 07:41 PM
Wow, looks like Fungal outspent me even though I was in Japan. Nice.

I saw so many discounted secondhand Valkyries but I just couldn't justify getting so many repaints.

I did get these guys though, for a steal no less.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/zedkaiser/Minatures%20and%20toys/supanova20052081.jpg

jaydisc
6th July 2010, 07:00 PM
That's the other mold I'm considering, likely in the from of Double Nuts (<insert Beavis laugh) or Bird of Prey. What's your opinion of it Zed?

Lord_Zed
6th July 2010, 10:25 PM
Don't know if I'm the best person to ask as Its only been free of its plastic cage for less than a week, and transformed twice.

That said mine is a second hand one, but Japanese second hand so hardly touched. Generally speaking I'm pretty impressed I haven't encountered any really floppy joints or obvious QC problems so far. The legs are not floppy which I heard was a common issue with the first releases. My only two issues are that the latch that holds the nosecone to the gullet in Battaroid mode could be more solid, its easy to shake loose, and the main issue I have is the gunpod is wobbly in fighter mode.

As a toy it"s pretty nice, a little long legged like its rival the 21, but still good. Transformation is pretty good and not to hard or scary, mine came with no instructions but I muddled though having seen Tober change his in the past. I find it easier to transform than the 21, but harder than the 11b.

I prefer the 21/22 for its design and the VF 11b for being a little more solid and polished, however this is still a great toy and I"m happy I got it, admittedly I picked it up for 10800 yen, secondhand so I was expecting issues, but so far its all good.

Dkaris
7th July 2010, 05:57 PM
damn these threads!! im considering picking up bird of prey

Dkaris
13th July 2010, 06:50 PM
was in hobby co today they have a load of macross kits 1/72 scale

http://www.hobbyco.com.au/search/search_results.php?find=macross&searchtype=1&Submit=Search
some listed there but in store they had the frontier valks, the ozma, the green one, the standard white, didnt see the blue, they also had the white one with some extra parts, also some of the YF's the VF-0S the VF-0D, the vf-1s and 1A really heaps of them. i was talking to the guy he was saying they are going to be stocking a lot more mecha kits from now on, good to see there will be more than just gundam!!

Also, they had the red zoids command wolf and some of the armored core kits.