PDA

View Full Version : Transformers in Japan

funkyaw
28th March 2008, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know of any good stores to find Transformer toys in Tokyo, Japan?

It looks like I'll be spending a day there whilst in transit to London for work.

Thanks!

roller
28th March 2008, 08:02 PM
i went to the ginza shopping district, there was 1 good toy shop

ask Rokdog, Tetsuwan convoy and Goktimus Prime they have more experience in Nihongo land toy shops

the toys r us their do stock a good assortment of Takara tf figures

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2008, 10:42 PM
Which parts of Tokyo are you planning on going to? I would personally recommend Ikebukuro's Seibu, Tobu and Bic Camera - and yeah, any TRU. :)

funkyaw
28th March 2008, 11:22 PM
Absolutely no idea but I will be arriving at Tokyo Narita airport and have a day to spend. Haven't booked a hotel yet but from what others have recommended Akihabara is a good place to go for electronic gadgets and things.

Whats the go with Tokyo TRUs? Wouldn't they just have the same retail stuff we get here?

Thanks for your suggestions though.

roller
28th March 2008, 11:29 PM
the toys r us would have Takara stuff, which is usually hard to find in bulk or assorted range in Australieeee

you might find some Beast wars returns figures, exclusive repaints to japan

or some disturbing Kiss players

funkyaw
29th March 2008, 08:35 AM
I'd like to try and find the G1 Optimus Prime repaint of Music Label Convoy.

Not sure what my boss would think if he saw me shopping for Kiss Players though...

Cheers.

excelonzero
29th March 2008, 02:40 PM
I found some stores near Akibahara Station
(with in three blocks), with both new and 2nd hand stuff
(like the gold plated Grand Convoy!)
You can find some good stuff if your willing to look around!

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st March 2008, 01:20 AM
Akihabara would probably be a good bet for the music label convoy, although Bic camrea as Gok said would most liekly have it too.

Toys R Us can be a bit hit and miss as they only have the recent lines. When I was last in Japan, the only things about were Mp3 Starscream and some left over Galaxy force at mark-down prices. At the moment, thougbI suspect that Taktoms Classics would be sparkling all over the place.

If your boss is a femme, hide any kissplayers you find, or else there is gonna be trouble!

Also travel wise, if you're only there for a day, fork out the cash for the fast train, as it can take precious time away from toy shopping when commuting.

funkyaw
5th April 2008, 11:08 PM
Well i went to Akihabara today and most stores had some stock of transformers ranging from G1 to the movie to the to-be-released animated. But it was not quite the transformers heaven that sometimes it is made out to be. Making it harder was that most stores had them all over the place and not necessarily in one shelf.

The animated stock was inflated significantly. For example, a loose voyager prime was 16,800 yen (or about $180).

Some rare finds included MIB Victory Saber for 145,000 yen (or about $1500) and Diaclone Convoy (can't remember exact price but was expensive).

Unfortunately most of the stores that sold the rarer G1 transformers would only accept cash and surprisingly it was difficult to find an ATM that would accept Australian bankcards.

Will upload photos when I get find the camera cable...

excelonzero
6th April 2008, 01:05 AM
Funkyaw said
But it was not quite the transformers heaven that sometimes it is made out to be.
Your right it's not heaven..

IT'S HELL

Everything you could want...
... Assuming you're willing to kill _lots_ time for looking it
... and getting _lost_ trying to find the store in the first place [a]
... and at prices you can't afford (well only if you've been thifty for 20 odd years)
... and you have to pay cash (ok I had 1/2 million Yen onhand at day one and was trying to bend my CC on the final day)
... and the staff might not understand or speak English <-- OK I know _gross_ exaggeration. I only found two people who couldn't in a four week period (but three who thought I was a Yank :) )

:D

[a] I got lost both going to and from a store somewhere between Hiroshima and shira-ichi . A good map is essential !

roller
6th April 2008, 01:17 AM
i'll ask my friend Commodore Perry to open up the Japanese tf shops for our needs, surely a jap board would want to help us find their toy shops

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2008, 07:58 AM
excelonzero: you're doing pretty well if you can find anyone who can speak English. Unless you're talking about Akihabara - lots of Akihabara staff speak English because it's a major tourist centre.

Unfortunately most of the stores that sold the rarer G1 transformers would only accept cash and surprisingly it was difficult to find an ATM that would accept Australian bankcards.
How many Australian ATMs accept Japanese cards like JTB, Sakura or Musashino? ;p Most major stores will accept international credit cards like Amex and Visa - with Visa being much more widely accepted.

funkyaw
6th April 2008, 09:23 AM
I just found it a bit strange that outside of the airport that literally only a handful of ATMs I came across would accept Cirrus/Maestro cards. It's not as if Cirrus or Maestro is a piddly Australian banking network - it's global!

Whenever I've gone through the US, Europe and other parts of Asia, its easy to find ATMs that will accept these cards.

I found that in Akihabara that most of the stores on the main street will speak english which was handy.

But it was still fun experiencing the culture over there. And gotta love all those uniforms and cosplay outfits!

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th April 2008, 05:54 PM
I was a bit shocked at the lack of Card compatability. Making a note of your bank compatible ATMs is recommended before you leave.

Japan still loves cash and a lot of ATM's still aren't open 24hr as well. I found going into a bank to do some stuff was a very surreal experience. Took forever (it was a comlex transaction) but they had comfy chairs and I found the whole thing quite amusing.

GoktimusPrime
6th April 2008, 07:40 PM
Absolutely true - the Japanese aren't too fond of cards: they still prefer to use cash. Don't worry... it's very safe for you to carry large amounts of cash on you. :) You're more likely to get groped on a train than you are to be robbed. ;p

Japan still loves cash and a lot of ATM's still aren't open 24hr as well.
I've never understood why they do that. It's not as ATMs need to sleep... the only times ATMs should be shut is if they're out of order or out of cash.

I found going into a bank to do some stuff was a very surreal experience. Took forever (it was a comlex transaction) but they had comfy chairs and I found the whole thing quite amusing.
...god I hate banking in Japan... I hate banking period, but banking in Japan is so frustrating. Stupid Hanko system... (-_-)

roller
7th April 2008, 10:14 PM
We may need to compile a shop list as one of my agents will be going there soon, im going to ask for toys

Robzy
7th April 2008, 10:33 PM
You're more likely to get groped on a train than you are to be robbed.
That settles it.... I'M GOING! :D