PDA

View Full Version : If you had to sell your entire collection…

5FDP
5th July 2010, 09:19 AM
If you had to sell your entire collection but could keep one toy, which one would you choose to keep?

A simple question really. You can only choose to keep one.

If I had to choose, it would be my G1 Sideswipe as this was the first Transformer I ever owned and I remember quite vividly going to Kmart with my parents and being able to choose a Transformer as a reward for not biting my nails for 2 weeks. For me, it’s not about dollar value but more for the sentimental value as it is irreplaceable.

I’m interested in hearing about your favourite Transformer and the reasoning behind ‘why’ you would never choose to part with it.

1AZRAEL1
5th July 2010, 09:40 AM
Well, the figure I would have to keep would probably be Soundwave, was the first figure I can remember owning.

Deceptic_Optic
5th July 2010, 09:43 AM
DRIFT!...lol

gamblor916
5th July 2010, 09:48 AM
My G1 Grimlock. It is my only surviving childhood Transformer and is still in great condition. It's nearly complete, only missing 1 rocket. I modified the launcher with a more powerful pen spring, this thing could take an eye out :D

5FDP
5th July 2010, 09:53 AM
DRIFT!...lol

I was waiting for someone to mention Drift :D That's cool... if you sold your entire collection to me, I'm sure we could reach a deal where you get to keep him ;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
5th July 2010, 10:03 AM
BW TM2 Megatron.
It's a toss-up between him and Predaking for my favourites, but ultimately BW Megs is my favourite TF character, I'm a sucker for dragons, and the resale value of a complete G1 Predaking versus TM2 Megs means ol' grape-face wins.

Sharky
5th July 2010, 10:18 AM
G1 Optimus Prime

My G1 optimus prime not the 6 or 8 others i own

the one with broken smokestakes and worn dicast broken peg on gun

it was my first transformer i remember looking at them in the shops and wanting trucks were cool, trucks that turned into robots cooler.. I even remeber dad taking me elsewhere why mum snuck away to buy it for my birthday.....

dirge
5th July 2010, 10:19 AM
G1 Dirge.

Deceptic_Optic
5th July 2010, 10:42 AM
I was waiting for someone to mention Drift :D That's cool... if you sold your entire collection to me, I'm sure we could reach a deal where you get to keep him ;)

lol and i knew someone would say something along those lines...lol

Sleeve
5th July 2010, 10:45 AM
G1 Sludge, extreme sentimental value.

GoktimusPrime
5th July 2010, 10:50 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/homer-screaming.gif

*flees from thread*

Eruntalon
5th July 2010, 10:52 AM
Since I couldn't really technically keep one of my first G1 transformers in it's entirety, that being Optimus Prime (since over the years I've repaired and mish-mashed him with better parts from other Optimus Primes) I would most likely keep the most unattainable toy from my collection if I were to ever collect again. That being said I would probably keep my Victory Leo and Incomplete Star Saber at the current time.

griffin
5th July 2010, 12:01 PM
G1 Optimus Prime

My G1 optimus prime not the 6 or 8 others i own

the one with broken smokestakes and worn dicast broken peg on gun

it was my first transformer i remember looking at them in the shops and wanting trucks were cool, trucks that turned into robots cooler.. I even remeber dad taking me elsewhere why mum snuck away to buy it for my birthday.....

So many seem to still have somewhere, their first ever TFs toy. Makes me really sad everytime I think about when I lost mine (Beachcomber) some time ago during a move. :(
It would be nice to have in one's collection, that one toy that started it all, no matter how worn and decrepid it now is. :)

Thanatos
5th July 2010, 12:37 PM
This is a tough question and it would depend how I was feeling. If I was only able to keep 1 toy, it would probably be either something sentimental (Like my G1 Sandstorm or if it wasn't broken, my BW TM1 Megatron), but if I was to keep something out of it being a centrepiece, I think I'd keep Classics Optimus, just to remind me about all the good times shared with the collection.

Gutsman Heavy
5th July 2010, 02:48 PM
MP Prime, so I can yell at him for getting me into collecting.

1orion2many
5th July 2010, 02:54 PM
:)I'd keep my Transformers and sell my wife:p:D

iceburn
5th July 2010, 03:18 PM
i wont keep only one toy but a series e.g. Binaltech or Masterpiece as a token of my previous collection

Sleeve
5th July 2010, 03:26 PM

How much do you want for her?

5FDP
5th July 2010, 03:33 PM

Get her AFA graded before you do... she'll be worth more :p

Doubledealer
5th July 2010, 05:50 PM
G1 Gnaw. I've loved the Sharkticons since I was knee high to a Minicon but never had the pleasure of seeing their toy, let alone playing around with one as a young un. I was so happy when I acquired a Gnaw from this very forum (thanks again Whoop!), he's just brilliant! Interestingly, he's my girlfriends favourite Transformer also. :D

MV75
5th July 2010, 06:03 PM
Mmmmm There would have to be a reason to be selling all of the collection, so in that case, none.

I'd either start up again later, or not at all, move to something else.

SharkyMcShark
5th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Hhmmm. Probably G2 Hooligan. It was my favourite as a kid - as kids do I lost it at some point and would spend entire weekends searching the house for it (storage box after storage box, etc).

I went to the trouble of getting a new one off ebay a few years back. It holds a special place in my heart.

Bartrim
5th July 2010, 08:00 PM
This is after selling anything else that we didn't need right?????(like our car, house, excess body organs:p)

jaydisc
5th July 2010, 08:20 PM
Classics Jetfire

GoktimusPrime
5th July 2010, 08:42 PM
Okay, I've mustered up enough courage to come back to this scary thread. As cliché as it may sound, I'd keep my 2000 reissue of 1984 Optimus Prime.

Some people have spoken about starting up again... I think if I ever sold (or lost) my collection, I wouldn't start again. Because for me, I never consciously became a Transformers collector as an adult. I'm simply a kid who never stopped playing with my Transformers and buying more of them to keep playing with. As such, the greatest value of my toys is the sentimental value. Once I sell or give away or lose a toy... I don't want to replace it with another one because it's not the same.

As some of you know, 5 years ago I was burgled and had my childhood 1984 Optimus Prime, G1 Ultra Magnus and G1 Galvatron stolen (as well as my original 1984 G1 Megatron, though that wasn't a childhood toy). I have no intention of repurchasing those figures. Now sure, part of that reason is because I do have reissues of all of them - but the reissues aren't the same (especially with Galvatron who has a different face sculpt and electronic gimmick). But the main reason is because even if I do replace them, the replacements will NOT be the same toys that I grew up with. It's really as simple as that. I since received another original G1 '84 Optimus Prime as a gift from someone... but yeah... it's just not my Optimus Prime. :(

So if the worst ever happened - and as Bartrim said, by that stage I'd have to be totally homeless and short one kidney - and I had to part with my TF collection... I don't think I'd start again.

My Transformers are like my childhood friends. I could never part with them. And like I said, whenever I look at the original '84 Prime on my shelf, it's like looking at a stranger. At best a new friend, but not my old friend.

AussieJason
5th July 2010, 09:02 PM
Add me to the 1984 Optimus Prime list.

Not my first TF (maybe fourth or fifth), but the most memorable to me. Best Christmas morning I ever had !

Prime_217
5th July 2010, 09:07 PM
i would have to keep my tf 2007 movie leader prime. he was the first transformer i perchased. i can still remember my excitement when i got him at the perth nexus fair january last year for an early birthday present. transforming him for the first time is one of my fondest memories! :D

Magnus
5th July 2010, 09:58 PM
My G1 (reissue) Ultra Magnus. That figure was very high on my 'want' list as a child, but I never got it. 'Going back' to get the figures I wanted but never owned was the reason I started collecting in the first place.

RagingBull
5th July 2010, 09:59 PM
Beast Wars Optimal Optimus Primal.

bought him with money from my confirmation. was my fav toy as a kid. this toy went everywhere with me. on holidays, to my grandparents, family drives...everywhere!

i remember taking a day off school so i could stay home and play with it the day after i bought it. the amazing thing about this was because it was an amazing feat to get a day off school, full stop! i was in 6th grade, and i kid you not, my mother would never let me take a day off school unless i was dieing of plague. right up to year 12!

i dont know how i faked the best sickness ever, but i did, and i got the day off.
ah memories. :D

higsy19
7th July 2010, 06:24 PM
My original Flash is the worst example around, but he is my only surviving transformer that wasnt given away or donated by my mother! The sentimental side of things is spot on guys...He is mine and i wouldnt want to see him go.

I stumbled across another flash which i had to buy!

My personal fav as a kid....dinobots and OP all the way....

Oldschool78
7th July 2010, 06:49 PM
G1 Shockwave, i could never part with him.

AussieJason
7th July 2010, 06:58 PM
My original Flash is the worst example around, but he is my only surviving transformer that wasnt given away or donated by my mother! The sentimental side of things is spot on guys...He is mine and i wouldnt want to see him go.

I stumbled across another flash which i had to buy!

My personal fav as a kid....dinobots and OP all the way....

Have a look at the description for G1 Flash (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Flash). It covers the condition of your original Flash quite well :D

loophole
7th July 2010, 08:42 PM
thats a tough one it would a fight between G1 Grapple (my first tf), Cyclonus (cause hes such a cool toy) and Menasor/Stunticons (my favourite tf team)

Robzy
7th July 2010, 09:39 PM
G1 Optimus Prime

liegeprime
8th July 2010, 12:13 AM
This thread's question makes me cry.... sell my collection? NEvaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!:p ok Id keep G1 Soundwave but all his cassettes too hehehehe:p

5FDP
8th July 2010, 08:28 AM
ok Id keep G1 Soundwave but all his cassettes too hehehehe:p

Shenanigans! :p

valkyrie_76
18th July 2010, 05:59 PM
I have been thinking about selling most of my collection.........I would probably keep the Japanese stuff and get rid of the US stuff.

But in saying that, I am too lazy to do anything in getting rid of anything :D

SkyWarp91
18th July 2010, 06:02 PM
ROTF Leader Prime, he's what got me into collecting TF and started making me poor, though now I am spending less and less on TFs :D

sideswipes brother
18th July 2010, 07:20 PM
My complete G1 Wheeljack. Not my first Transformer i ever owned, but the only one i have kept since childhood. I moved around alot as a kid, so the fact that i still have him 100% complete is nothing short of amazing. However, he has since had a new coat of white paint on his feet and a reprolabels do over. :D

kurdt_the_goat
18th July 2010, 08:42 PM
I have been thinking about selling most of my collection.........I would probably keep the Japanese stuff and get rid of the US stuff.

But in saying that, I am too lazy to do anything in getting rid of anything :D

All you need to do is have an open house sale :)

heroic_decepticon
19th July 2010, 01:18 AM
If I had to sell my collection, I'd sell my whole collection, every single one. It'd be too painful to keep even one. If I had to keep one, I would probably keep my childhood Optimus Prime, which is banged up bad, but still in a pretty decent box.