PDA

View Full Version : ebay payment question

SGB
6th July 2010, 03:42 PM
Can you purchase items from ebay using your visa/credit card without having to use a PayPal account?

Looked through ebay's help section for an answer to this but didn't find any clear answers.

Saintly
6th July 2010, 06:23 PM
No, I don't think so..

You can use Bank account details though

SGB
27th July 2010, 11:24 PM
Ba-dump-a-bump.

Anyone able to definitively answer my question? Would really like to know as there's a couple of items on ebay I'd like to get.

liegeprime
28th July 2010, 12:24 AM
As far as I know in all my buying years on Ebay, nope. You have the option to link your credit card account to Paypal, then that they would accept but just plain credit card direct nope. Its either - Paypal - Cash deposit - INternet bank transfer those are the usual options they offer on checkout. They used to have postal money order but was highly discouraged since and I think it has been phased out.

SGB
28th July 2010, 01:12 AM
Did some more looking up ... it looks as if you can pay with a visa only if the seller has a merchant account, which most sellers don't have. Bugger.

griffin
28th July 2010, 11:53 AM
As limiting as it may be, having it restricted makes it easier to police, as there are scammers on both sides.

dirge
28th July 2010, 04:46 PM
It _used_ to be the case you could simply have a Credit Card & no bank account with PayPal - my PayPal account is set up like this (and I have no intention of linking a bank account, since my PayPal account isn't held in AUD). I've never had a problem using PayPal with a credit card, mind you.

SGB
1st August 2010, 04:29 PM
To answer my own question, you CAN pay for auctions with a visa/credit card without needing to use a Paypal account; it's by way of one-off visa/credit card transaction that's processed by Paypal. Just paid in this method for two auctions I won this morning.

jaydisc
2nd August 2010, 01:00 AM
I suspect it might require the recipient to have a PP Business account, as that is the only type of PP account that can accept CC payment without the payer having a PP account. I'm not sure if eBay makes an exception though.