PDA

View Full Version : IDW comics to get a local release this month

Paulbot
11th July 2010, 07:30 PM
The Sunday Herald Sun had a story about comics today with an interview with the founder of IDW.

The story ended with this note

"Star Trek and Transformers comics and James Patterson graphic novels are being launched in Australia this month by Wilkinson Publishing in association with IDW of the US. They will be available from newsagents, bookshops and online"

Images accompaning the story included detail of Hot Rod from the issue IDW ongoing #1 cover, Ultra Magnus from #2 (I think), and a rather spoilerific page from issue 6.

IDW comics haven't been hard to get in the dedicated comic shops, but this should make them more available to kids (and older fans) who don't visit the comic stores.

Ingram
12th July 2010, 01:13 AM
Sure wish it was easier to find the IDW Complete Collection Volume 1. Only place online I can find is Amazon US.

popculturepooka
12th July 2010, 07:41 PM
IDW comics haven't been hard to get in the dedicated comic shops, but this should make them more available to kids (and older fans) who don't visit the comic stores.

I don't think many kids really pick up comics these days. Ones that do probably already hit comic shops where possible.

I'm not hugely sure this will be a succesful venture.

5FDP
12th July 2010, 07:51 PM
This is good news for me... I don't have a comic shop within 30 km's of my place.

Hursticon
13th July 2010, 12:47 AM
This is good news for me... I don't have a comic shop within 30 km's of my place.

I'm with you there 5FDP for two reasons:
1. The last proper comic book store in the Illawarra closed down in 1999. :mad:
2. Anybody who has the Spectre of Mortal Kombat in their Sig/Avatar knows what they're talking about. :D:p

It'll be nice to see these novels locally, now that I don't have to go to Sydney or buy online I may become more interested in the Comic-verse, I have always loved the artistry of the IDW and Dreamwave comics though.

Seraphim Prime
9th November 2010, 03:06 PM
As reported here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=203296&postcount=614), I saw both Transformers Ongoing Vol. 1 and Transformers Bumblebee in the books department of the Target Store that I work in.

The only difference between the Wilkinson version and the IDW version appears to be the publishers logo on the book, and a sticker with a HftD online code stuck to the front. Material inside appears to be exactly the same, although I didn't have time for a thorough look. :(

RRP appears to be $20 (http://www.wilkinsonpublishing.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=194), and at Target was scanning in at just under $13.

Low cost alternative to buying the IDW imports?

5FDP
9th November 2010, 03:08 PM
As reported here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=203296&postcount=614), I saw both Transformers Ongoing Vol. 1 and Transformers Bumblebee in the books department of the Target Store that I work in.

When I click on the link it's like I'm trapped in some weird loop :p

Great news! Off to Target I go :D

Paulbot
9th November 2010, 03:13 PM
I might buy them for that price rather than waiting for the eventual hardcover.

And I just went to Target at lunchtime but didn't look at the book section.

Paulbot
4th December 2010, 02:19 PM
A local printing of the Last Stand of the Wreckers trade is also now available in Target stores.

Comicbooks have started to appear in Newsagents with issues of Drift spotted today for $4.95 each (cheaper than buying them from the comic shop).

They also had an issue of an IDW Star Trek series.

Apart from the logo on the front cover and the details on the inside cover, it's exactly the same, complete with all the IDW inhouse ads.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcvvencFmH1qbguy1o1_500.jpg

5FDP
4th December 2010, 03:56 PM
Bugger! I was just at Target today and forgot to check :(

Paul Agnew
5th December 2010, 10:54 AM
While it's great to have easy (and cheap) access to Drift, I do wish they'd put Sonic the Hedgehog back on the shelves. :(

Issue 3 should be out by December 10.

GoktimusPrime
6th December 2010, 09:32 AM
I don't think many kids really pick up comics these days. Ones that do probably already hit comic shops where possible.

I'm not hugely sure this will be a succesful venture.

I think kids are reading comic books more than ever now! I've had to confiscate comic books on a few occasions in class when kids are reading them instead of doing their classwork, and I've noticed that most of the time when I'm handing out overdue library book notices to kids in my roll call class, they're for overdue comic books!

When I was in school, not that many kids read comic books -- especially in high school when more kids decided to "grow out" of comic books, toys and cartoons (bah!), leaving me a member of an increasing minority. I remember schoolkids used to mock my friend and I cos we'd used to go read Transformers and TMNT comics in the library (fortunately my friend stood up for me and chased those bullies away). But yeah, nowadays a lot more kids are reading comic books - not just nerds. And even girls are reading them too (though they prefer reading manga... graphic novels I see from DC, Marvel etc. are read by boys). Although there's at least one female student at my school who's openly into Batman and Star Wars Clone Wars.

Krayt
11th January 2011, 11:50 AM
To kill time at work i've been periodically checking the WP webste for more releases, and today was so bored I emailed asking if their were any more releases coming up....

Hi Michael,

Not at this stage.

Michael Wilkinson

Wilkinson Publishing

Seraphim Prime
12th January 2011, 02:33 PM
To kill time at work i've been periodically checking the WP webste for more releases, and today was so bored I emailed asking if their were any more releases coming up....

Shame to hear that. Part of me wanted to support a local business trying to provide people with cheaper books. The other part of me though wanted to know I had the book i wanted and closer to the time of release. If Wilkenson could guarantee that they would probably do better business.