PDA

View Full Version : Live Chat Featurette?

SkyWarp91
18th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Will there ever be one on OTCA? Or will that be too difficult?

Golden Phoenix
18th July 2010, 07:05 PM
While there for pretty much any topic you want to talk about, Maccaddam's Old Oilhouse isn't as fast as a real chat room kind of thing.

The problem with the chat room idea is that it would be nigh impossible to have it moderated 24/7, which you may need it to be seeing how easily arguments can get started here

5FDP
18th July 2010, 07:38 PM
There was also talk of a podcast some time ago. What ever happened to that??

SkyWarp91
18th July 2010, 07:59 PM
While there for pretty much any topic you want to talk about, Maccaddam's Old Oilhouse isn't as fast as a real chat room kind of thing.

The problem with the chat room idea is that it would be nigh impossible to have it moderated 24/7, which you may need it to be seeing how easily arguments can get started here

Yeah that's quite a good point as to why an instant chat shouldn't exist on OTCA, as for the Podcast... ..that could be quite interesting! :rolleyes:

Golden Phoenix
18th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah that's quite a good point as to why an instant chat shouldn't exist on OTCA, as for the Podcast... ..that could be quite interesting! :rolleyes:

One way it could be done is if only activated when there was a mod to moderate it

GoktimusPrime
18th July 2010, 10:21 PM
I think the live chat thing is overrated, considering:
1/ We used to have an IRC chat channel (#transformers on austnet) and while there was a time where it was pretty busy; and playing Transformers trivia on live chat was heaps fun, and sometimes international fans like Ben Yee, Rob Jung etc. would occasionally drop by for a chat which was kewl... but in the end it became a ghost town with springah camping out with ChanOP 24/7 on away mode. I suspect the establishment of the forum has kinda made the chat channel somewhat irrelevant.
2/ Big international forums like Tformers have a live chat function... and most of the time it's pretty quiet. And when people do chat it's usually about fairly trivial stuff... like the weather or maybe someone farted and it stinks. Or maybe someone discovered bacon flavoured salt. :D Cos if you have something TF related to discuss or ask, you can just post on an existing thread or section of the board. All the left over stuff usually ends up on the live chat section. And yes, people often say some rather nasty stuff there that's hard to police. OTCA is a fairly civilised place to discuss TFs compared to some other boards out there. I've been on boards where I've seen board staff attack users! :o :/

* Goktimus has joined #transformers
<Goktimus> op me
*** Goktimus has been kicked off #transformers by @ChanOP (there's your answer)
<Timewarrior> lol

Tommy K
18th July 2010, 11:55 PM
about the podcast i was thinking every parra fair we do one and then one for the melb guys and one for the brissies and lastly the rest of australia, unless theres a large group of people in perth lol

griffin
19th July 2010, 12:27 AM
I'd still like to see someone do a podcast, to see how it turns out. It isn't something I have the time or resources to do at the moment, but others are free to try it.

I'm also keen on a chat facility as well, as Messenger is usually just one-on-one, and often only a few people are on when I log in. Problem is that this forum doesn't have the module within it, so it would need to be an external feature, requiring setup and individual registration by members. Again, time and resources will dictate how likely or quickly I can generate something with this.

DarkHyren
19th July 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm also keen on a chat facility as well, as Messenger is usually just one-on-one, and often only a few people are on when I log in. Problem is that this forum doesn't have the module within it, so it would need to be an external feature, requiring setup and individual registration by membersIf it helps, another forum I visit uses a chat program called CometChat, it doesnt need users to be registered with anything but the forum itself.
It seems to work ok but I dont know all the specifics of it, I only use it.

Burn
19th July 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm also keen on a chat facility as well, as Messenger is usually just one-on-one,

From memory you should just have to invite people into the discussion.

GoktimusPrime
19th July 2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I just tested it then and it worked. Just open a conversation with someone, then hit "invite" to add more people.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/msnconference.jpg

5FDP
19th July 2010, 10:16 PM
Geez... these kids are getting into buying properties younger and younger these days :p

liegeprime
8th August 2010, 10:39 AM
Geez... these kids are getting into buying properties younger and younger these days :p

Which is why parents opt for a ceasarian these days, hard to push a baby holding an I-phone, Wii, PS3, and Mac notebook out hehehe:p:p;)