PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Botcon Shattered Glass Comic Preview

STL
1st April 2008, 10:33 PM
http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=12696&

Somewhat underwhelming. The art style harkens back to G2 imo. Not a favourite style of mine. More importantly I cant' say I'm that thrilled by the preview pages. The characters seem flat. Starscream especially.

Thanatos
1st April 2008, 10:57 PM
These three pages make me want the set... and all of a sudden a wave of regret washes over me for not getting it :(

What an excellent storyline, I must admit I'm not the biggest fan of the look, but the lines by Grimlock (except for the overusage of one particular line) make that toy seems worthwhile in itself.

Drool and approval from me!

roller
1st April 2008, 11:31 PM
nice comic

pity this entire line is exclusive

GoktimusPrime
2nd April 2008, 09:17 AM
The art style harkens back to G2 imo. Not a favourite style of mine. More importantly I cant' say I'm that thrilled by the preview pages. The characters seem flat. Starscream especially.
The artist is mimicking the G2 art of Manny Galan, who IMO was the weakest of the G2 artist - so I totally agree in that it's not very good looking. (-_-)

Nice easter egg there with the G1 Classic Pretenders. :)

i_amtrunks
2nd April 2008, 09:18 AM
I love the old senior-esque style art, too bad it ended up being an April Fools joke though, as the camp factor of the comic was entertaining.

STL
2nd April 2008, 09:24 AM
It was an April Fool's joke? I thought it was fairly legit given the 3 pages they put up. Someone went to all that effort just for a joke? Well colour me grateful as tho it wasn't particularly great, its good to know we have such committed and creative fans out there.

Pulse
2nd April 2008, 09:35 AM
A pretty lame April Fool's Day Joke. (Couldn't the Yankees have thought of a better hoax/joke than that?)

kup
2nd April 2008, 10:09 AM
I love the old senior-esque style art, too bad it ended up being an April Fools joke though, as the camp factor of the comic was entertaining.

I agree, I thought it was good in a campy sort of way. I was looking forward to reading the whole thing, the Pretenders grabbed my attention.

Thanatos
2nd April 2008, 10:27 AM
Joke? Well, that's a shame, I really enjoyed it :P.

Still makes me want the set. Anyone willing to give it up? :P

EDIT: Actually, Jazz channeling Mr. T was probably a dead giveaway.

Paulbot
2nd April 2008, 10:56 AM
I'd like the book to have a G2 look but it needs the G2 lettering style to complete the feel.

Predacon shrink ray? :)

A polite English Grimlock is pretty cool, and a jibber-jabbering Jazz.

But jokes aside: Pretender Classics characters = Botcon 08 characters. I know that in both cases the characters selected were the popular ones, but it's an intriguing connection.

i_amtrunks
2nd April 2008, 12:17 PM
It was an April Fool's joke? I thought it was fairly legit given the 3 pages they put up. Someone went to all that effort just for a joke? Well colour me grateful as tho it wasn't particularly great, its good to know we have such committed and creative fans out there.

Yeah the final page even had quite the spoiler:

http://www.botcon.com/botcon08/08comicpreview/previewpage3.jpg

Although the real 3 page spoiler is meant to be out on the 3rd...

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd April 2008, 01:27 PM
I thought it was quite nicely done! The "I Grimlock" part was pretty clever and "70's Blacksploited" Jazz made me chuckle.

One thing though, with mirror universe style stories, are the characters menat to be just evil/good versions of the good/bad guys or opposites? I thought that the personalities would be opposite to what they really are. EG Jazz would be an extreme redneck, grimlock weak and cowardly etc.

griffin
3rd April 2008, 02:20 PM
Now that I've actually looked at this topic, it has been moved to the more applicable location.