PDA

View Full Version : Transformers with GPS, BP, and any fragile parts

griffin
6th August 2010, 10:27 PM
A reference topic for collectors to be careful with future purchases, or current toys in their collections.

GPS - Gold Plastic Syndrome (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/GPS), is when (usually gold) colouring isn't mixed well enough into the plastic before injecting into the mould-tree, creating weaker bonds along the colour lines/waves in the plastic.

BP - Brittle Plastic, can either be caused by using a harder, less flexible plastic, or an incompatible colouring that makes the plastic more brittle.

Fragile parts - any part that isn't able to take the strain of normal transformation, or breakage/stress marks from moving/inserting of parts.

(try to post breakages/flaws that are likely to occur to others as a general flaw in that particular toy, not just because it broke while playing with it)

griffin
6th August 2010, 10:44 PM
After having my 10th Anniversary Dinobot break from Brittle Plastic today, I decided that we need a reference guide of toys to be careful of.

The obvious ones...

Gen2 Slingshot (1994) - majority is gold plastic, and is prone to breaking.

Pretender Skyhammer (1989) - gold plastic on outer shell can break easily when opening and closing.

Mirage (1984) - mid-section is prone to breaking.

Euro Spark/Pyro (1993) - mid-section gold plastic breaks easily with transformation.

Euro Turbomaster weapons (1992) - gold plastic posts break off easily.

Beast Wars Transmetal Megatron (1997) - brown chest plastic is brittle.

RiD Optimus Prime (2001) rubber tyres split easily.

RiD Ultra Magnus (2001) rubber tyres split easily.

10th Anniversary Dinobot (2006) - brown plastic on robot legs is brittle, when plugging them onto the posts to form Dino mode... post holes can split and break.

TF2 Voyager Bludgeon (2009) - gap in hand is too narrow for large sword, so is known to break fingers/thumb.

Animated Arcee (2010) - gap in hand is too narrow for swords, so causes stress marks.

JP Masterpiece Starscream (green) (2006) - used softer 'model' plastic which isn't able to take as much force/strain when transforming the parts.

JP Masterpiece Megatron (2007) - shoulder joints were known to break with too much force.

griffin
6th August 2010, 11:35 PM
From the TFWiki link in the first post...

JP Black Zarak (1988) - the gold feet and shield.

Pretender Bristleback (1989) - gold parts can break when inserting Monstructor's fist.

Pretender Slog (1989) - gold parts can break when inserting Birdbrain in combined mode.

Pretender Roadblock (1989) - gold robot parts where the post-holes are, can break when inserting weapons.

Euro Skyquake (1992) - light-bronze plastic, rear-mounted sight is prone to breaking.

Gen2 Electro (1994) - gold plastic limb joints, like the knees, can break when transforming toy.

Beast Wars Grimlock (1997) - post-holes inside robot legs and hip ball-socket joints can both break.

JP Beast Wars Randy (1999) - spring-loaded gimmick could strain the brittle plastic enough to break it.

Beast Wars Magnaboss Silverbolt (1997) - gold tail section can break.

GoktimusPrime
7th August 2010, 08:55 AM
Torca (1998) - tail section can break.

kup
7th August 2010, 10:54 AM
Torca (1998) - tail section can break.

Technically so can the sides of the body but the tail joint is the part that gets all the pressure as the tail relies on friction to stay in place. One has to be careful with the whole toy really.

5FDP
7th August 2010, 11:18 AM
There's also rust problems (http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=11507) with MP-05. This is a very real problem and it happened to mine and other members here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3661&highlight=rust&page=2) :mad:

kup
7th August 2010, 12:43 PM
There's also rust problems (http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=11507) with MP-05. This is a very real problem and it happened to mine and other members here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3661&highlight=rust&page=2) :mad:

I used White knight car polish on Megatron's feet and it worked really well.

Since we are in the topic of toy fragility, MP-05's waist plates have a little hook which breaks really easy as it's supposed to keep the whole leg assembly aligned in gun mode and a lot of force is placed upon it.

I wish a 3rd party would release metal versions of those parts like they did with the lower leg plates for the gun extensions.

valkyrie_76
7th August 2010, 05:04 PM
Mirage (1984) - mid-section is prone to breaking.

Oh I know that *sigh*

GoktimusPrime
8th August 2010, 09:07 PM
I always took pride in never breaking the mid section of my Mirage. As a child I was one of only 2 people I knew of who never broke their Mirage. Then in 1988 I lent Mirage to my next door neighbour... who broke it at the mid-section. :( :( :(

SharkyMcShark
8th August 2010, 11:40 PM
To be more specific the main problem with the MP Starscream mold is the double hinge that the wings use to flip during transformation. If you do it all as one motion there's a large change of causing stressing/breakage in the plastic around the pin.

The best way to avoid is to very carefully do each hinge individually (two careful 90 degree movements as opposed to a single 180 movement).

iceburn
9th August 2010, 01:37 AM
Dinobot mutant mask break from Brittle Plastic
Blue Cyrotek legs broke...too brittle
ROTF Decepticon Bludegon definitely has stress marks

SofaMan
9th August 2010, 07:41 PM
The bronze plastic that they've used for SWTF Millenium Falcon/Chewbacca's upper arms and legs is brittle and prone to cracking and breakage.

I've seen it on 2 examples of this toy now, particularly the upper arms.

GoktimusPrime
10th August 2010, 11:52 AM
Hasbro's Animated Blitzwing -- brittle canopy tabs. Stress marks appear whenever transforming the toy to and from jet mode. :(

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animated_blitzwing_qcmondai.jpg

1AZRAEL1
10th August 2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with Universe/Classic Rodimus? I was looking at mine the other day and the shoulders where the pins are have caused stress marks to form, even though I have maybe transformed him 3 times in his existence. I'll take some photos later on tonight to show what I mean.

Hursticon
10th August 2010, 12:48 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with Universe/Classic Rodimus? I was looking at mine the other day and the shoulders where the pins are have caused stress marks to form, even though I have maybe transformed him 3 times in his existence. I'll take some photos later on tonight to show what I mean.

I just checked mine dude, no stress marks at all but to clarify, when you say "pins near shoulders" are you referring to the pins that hold the whole chest, head and arm assembly on?

I'll tell you what I did notice though, my Rodimus' ball joints that connect the legs to the figure have gotten fairly bloody loose and not because of overuse either. :mad:

Has anyone else found this with theirs? how are the new reissues/repaints on this issue?

1AZRAEL1
10th August 2010, 12:51 PM
I just checked mine dude, no stress marks at all but to clarify, when you say "pins near shoulders" are you referring to the pins that hold the whole chest, head and arm assembly on?

I think the pins holding the whole chest. I have to go home and clarify it. I just remembered off the top of my head. And if I didn't post it, I would most likely forget about it when I get home :p

5FDP
10th August 2010, 01:13 PM
I'll tell you what I did notice though, my Rodimus' ball joints that connect the legs to the figure have gotten fairly bloody loose and not because of overuse either. :mad:

I have Classics Rodimus and have noticed this as well. He has only been transformed once.

kup
10th August 2010, 03:20 PM

I have to check mine, I don't remember any stress marks though and I have transformed it like 50 times.

SharkyMcShark
10th August 2010, 06:39 PM
The shoulder on my Rodimus completely snapped eventually - I mean I played with it a reasonable amount. Maybe 25 - 30 transformations down the years?

I still don't think that'd be enough to destroy it.

I'd get another one but the upcoming FP armour has driven the price up above what I'm willing to pay.

SharkyMcShark
10th August 2010, 06:41 PM
Oh also re brittle plastic, the first live action movie deluxe class Brawl, specifically the automorph gears that get his treads to filp up onto his shoulders were very prone to cracking (this was remedied for the RotF Desert redeco as they used a different kind of plastic).

jaydisc
10th August 2010, 08:55 PM
Killbison - GPS

1AZRAEL1
10th August 2010, 09:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0971.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0970.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0969.jpg

Those are the pins I mean. As well as that, I noticed there s a stress mark on both arms where the yellow peg connects to the arm. Kind of annoying.

kup
10th August 2010, 09:37 PM
I just checked mine. It's ok - Thankfully.

Mine is the original Classics release, was yours part of the 2 pack or was it like that out of the package?

1AZRAEL1
10th August 2010, 10:16 PM
I think it was the single pack. I can't remember, it was so long ago :p I think I still have the package for it, just have to look for it.

kup
10th August 2010, 11:24 PM
I think it was the single pack. I can't remember, it was so long ago :p I think I still have the package for it, just have to look for it.

Yeah I ask to see if there is a manufacturing difference between these two releases. I have no stress marks on mine despite several transformations and even playing around to see if I can match the Protector 'before armor' configuration.

swoop
28th August 2010, 07:46 PM
Armarda starscream: stress marks on hands when holding sword

Oilspill
28th August 2010, 10:28 PM

Yeah, mine does on his right shoulder. Has had a pretty bad stress mark there for as long as I can remember.

tjparkside
3rd September 2010, 03:18 AM
these are a few fragile figures with issues;

-G1 kickback-yellow insect/robot ears-Bp/fragile parts

-G1 megatron-shoulder joint sometimes has brittle plastic where the shoulder socket screws into the arm(silver)

G1 jetfire-red arm weapons have Bp clips,beware some try to sell these parts with broken clips as "mint"(ebay o/s)
-jetfire has BP around plastic/metal shoulder joints(where the jet folds in half to make back and chest)due to incorrect movement
-jetfire is prone to stress marks on the black antennae on the robot's head due to incorrect movement.

G1 soundwave and blaster prone to broken cassette eject button/latch/door(not the case w/mine!)

hope this helps!

Hammerstorm
3rd September 2010, 08:18 AM
ROTF Scalpel aka tha doc. Ball joint casing for legs (pick any of the many you like) is easy to crack didn't even get mine out of the packaging before "Smashie Smashie"

5FDP
3rd September 2010, 10:16 AM
@ tjparkside - You sure these are common issues and not just problems arising from these toys being 25 years old and being handled extensively?

I know some people have troubles with Soundwaves chest compartment but I'm sure this is just from overuse. I've never noticed these issues with my Megatron or Kickback...

Eruntalon
15th September 2010, 07:27 PM
G1 Victory Leo - the two front white plastic landing gears located on the chest in robot mode are fragile/brittle. I just discovered that one of mine is actually broken as I have never bothered transforming it. I have also seen this on other Victory Leo's on the internets.

SkyWarp91
16th September 2010, 10:52 PM
Question: Is Movie 2007 Protoform Starscream prone to GPS? His elbow joints are INCREDIBLY tight.

griffin
16th September 2010, 11:33 PM
Not that I'm aware of. (mine's still in one piece)

Autocon
17th September 2010, 12:22 AM
Question: Is Movie 2007 Protoform Starscream prone to GPS? His elbow joints are INCREDIBLY tight.

good question
haha shows u how much i played studied it:p

SharkyMcShark
17th September 2010, 12:47 AM
Mine's had bits snapped off, but it's second hand and I can't remember if it came like that.

Tallestblue
17th September 2010, 06:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0971.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0970.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/1AZRAEL1/SANY0969.jpg

Those are the pins I mean. As well as that, I noticed there s a stress mark on both arms where the yellow peg connects to the arm. Kind of annoying.

I just noticed the same problem on mine. Damn these massive piehooks of mine!!

tjparkside
18th September 2010, 02:13 AM
@ tjparkside - You sure these are common issues and not just problems arising from these toys being 25 years old and being handled extensively?

I know some people have troubles with Soundwaves chest compartment but I'm sure this is just from overuse. I've never noticed these issues with my Megatron or Kickback...

you are right-most of what i mentioned are probably overuse/age issues.

Supergodginrai
24th April 2011, 11:46 AM
Another one is the clips at the waist tower of Grand Max. They are easily broken and not way to be replaced due to the METAL PIN on the tower waist, damn it

Sky Shadow
24th April 2011, 02:35 PM
Sadly, 2003 RiD Megabolt suffers from GPS.

LordCyrusOmega
26th April 2011, 01:00 PM
Universe 2.0 Powerglide arm ratchets are too tight. Twisted the arm right off second time transforming it.

Movie 2007 Transscan Bumblebee joint sockets prone to snapping, both the legs and waist have snapped on mine.

Don't know if it counts but the shoulder pins on my Animated Wreck-Gar always work their way out when transforming and I have to knock them back in with a hammer or something.

liegeprime
26th April 2011, 06:08 PM
Hmmm with all these additions coming in, mebbe there should be an updated list in the very first post. Listed per series - Tf name/character and then next to it is the description of what parts is fragile/easily broken from it can also include (mebbe) who added this issue ... so that it eill easier used as reference rather than scrolling pages and pges of the thread. When this thread reaches like20+ or so it's gonna get confusing and hard. Plus, it's a good reference for those who want to add more to the list so there be no double listing once they've scanned thru the first page list....

SkyWarp91
27th April 2011, 11:18 AM
PCC Mudslinger Commander toy.

I let my cousin play with the figure and when trying to put together the combiner mode his (R) hip joint snapped. My cousin is very careful with both his and my TFs and he is 11.

I managed to save the joint by using small strips of duct tape, but this is a warning to all to be careful with this one.

Sky Shadow
28th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Just in case anyone wanted to throw a few thousand dollars at a G2 First Aid, note that he too suffers from GPS. :)

5FDP
28th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Just in case anyone wanted to throw a few thousand dollars at a G2 First Aid, note that he too suffers from GPS. :)

If anyone is willing to blow a couple of grand on one, I don't think they'd care :p

GoktimusPrime
29th May 2011, 10:29 AM
Sky Shadow: You were right about Randy. The moment I opened him and took him out of his plastic tray, a chunk of his gold plastic snapped off. :rolleyes:

Sky Shadow
29th May 2011, 01:21 PM
Sky Shadow: You were right about Randy. The moment I opened him and took him out of his plastic tray, a chunk of his gold plastic snapped off. :rolleyes:

I warned you, Mr Prime! :(

GoktimusPrime
29th May 2011, 10:53 PM
Ah well, I got it for $7 MISB and I already have Razorbeast. It was a self pity purchase after I'd gone to all the trouble of traversing across half of Taipei, even crossing one of the main bridges, to find this little out-of-the-way-away-from-everything toy store... to find nothing of interest. Blargh. So I just grabbed the cheapest Transformer there so I wouldn't walk away empty handed. The damage is on the side of the beast mode body, which isn't really that noticeable

ah well

griffin
25th September 2011, 09:57 PM
Actionmaster Rumbler's exosuit - the blue wrecking ball attachments to the front wheels.
Originally they were softish plastic (they might have even been rubbery, but I can't remember), but mine and Demonac's have shattered upon touching them. They are too fragile to even pull out of the wheels.... and this is probably something all suffer from now, not just out-of-packaging ones (due to age of the softer plastic).

Not sure if I should just try to glue mine back together, or buy a new complete one and just never touch it ever.

kup
26th September 2011, 02:32 PM
Actionmaster Rumbler's exosuit - the blue wrecking ball attachments to the front wheels.
Originally they were softish plastic (they might have even been rubbery, but I can't remember), but mine and Demonac's have shattered upon touching them. They are too fragile to even pull out of the wheels.... and this is probably something all suffer from now, not just out-of-packaging ones (due to age of the softer plastic).

Not sure if I should just try to glue mine back together, or buy a new complete one and just never touch it ever.

They are supposed to be of very soft rubber. One of my Rumbler wrecking balls has remained so while the other isn't so good.

The same thing happened with one of my Rumbler Wrecking balls. The rubber ends up hardening to the point that it becomes brittle. It also looses color by becoming a dark 'greenish' shade of blue instead of it's original light blue. The symptoms are very similar to GPS although I am not sure if it's the same thing as the balls start of as rubber not plastic.

I had to fix mine up as the first thing to go is the peg.

kup
16th December 2012, 12:28 AM
WARNING:

Robot Masters Star Saber's sword hilt can expand withing the fist hole and be near impossible to remove. Mine has unfortunately snapped when I tried to remove it.

Ravagecat
16th May 2013, 10:36 AM
If any of you out there like that feeling when someone drags their nails down a blackboard then this video is a must watch :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrdcj_M7I0w

He is reviewing G1 Skyhammer and even makes a comment about GPS but shows little to no care when transforming him in this review :eek:

1orion2many
16th May 2013, 05:17 PM
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but I may have missed it, Beast Wars Soundwave is an absolute crapper for GPS:(. Has anyone tried coating these parts with a clear nail polish or the like to see if it helps hold them together a little better?

GoktimusPrime
16th May 2013, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah... I'll never forget the time when I saw Hursticon getting BW Soundwave and it literally crumbled in his hands as he walked out the store! :(

theshape
17th May 2013, 12:38 AM
If any of you out there like that feeling when someone drags their nails down a blackboard then this video is a must watch :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrdcj_M7I0w

He is reviewing G1 Skyhammer and even makes a comment about GPS but shows little to no care when transforming him in this review :eek:

This guy does the best reviews on YouTube IMO, no BS. Yeah when he opens those feet....could feel it about to shatter :confused:

VERT
17th May 2013, 07:55 AM
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but I may have missed it, Beast Wars Soundwave is an absolute crapper for GPS:(. Has anyone tried coating these parts with a clear nail polish or the like to see if it helps hold them together a little better?

And a special thanks to Gok for the BW Soundwave post. I read it and ran off to look at my minty fresh never used one. Then his Bat chest/Croc head snapped off :(

GoktimusPrime
17th May 2013, 09:49 AM
Heh, I know that feeling. In 2011 I bought a MISB Randy. A chunk came off its side when I opened it and took it out of the plastic tray! (thankfully it was cheap :rolleyes: - I bought it as a "pity buy" after traipsing across Taipei to find some little isolated collectable toy store that had nothing I really wanted to buy :p)

Hursticon
28th May 2013, 05:05 PM

Oh yeah... I'll never forget the time when I saw Hursticon getting BW Soundwave and it literally crumbled in his hands as he walked out the store! :(

Nor will I Goki, nor will I...

And a special thanks to Gok for the BW Soundwave post. I read it and ran off to look at my minty fresh never used one. Then his Bat chest/Croc head snapped off :(

Sorry to hear of yours befalling the results of the same curse Vert. :(

For posterity, below is a series of photos highlighting all the areas to look out for with Beast Wars: Mutants - Soundwave;

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Crap/MutantsSoundwave03-1.jpg (http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Darkone666au/media/Crap/MutantsSoundwave03-1.jpg.html)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Crap/MutantsSoundwave04-1.jpg (http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Darkone666au/media/Crap/MutantsSoundwave04-1.jpg.html)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Crap/MutantsSoundwave02-1.jpg (http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Darkone666au/media/Crap/MutantsSoundwave02-1.jpg.html)

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Crap/MutantsSoundwave01-1.jpg (http://s1032.photobucket.com/user/Darkone666au/media/Crap/MutantsSoundwave01-1.jpg.html)

griffin
26th February 2014, 01:55 AM
JP Choro Q "metallic" Rodimus (and probably the others as well) suffers from Brittle Plastic Syndrome.
Fresh out of a sealed box, I turn the yellow back fin, and the little knob that locks into a tiny dimple at the front and back (for the two modes)
knocks out a chunk of plastic where the dimple was. There is now a hole in the back panel that is about the size of half a pea.
The arms were really stiff, and creaking, so I stopped transforming it halfway and put it back in Robot mode.

The plastic is very sparkly, and not flexible like regular Transformers toy plastics. Any attempt at bending a plastic panel was met with creaking and stress marks.
The black "metallic" Megatron I got had the same creaking sounds, so I had to be really careful transforming it (I didn't get the "TV" version, and wanted to see the gun mode).

I'll take some photos later, to replace this one, which just shows people which toys I'm talking about (the four little ones in the middle).
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/1402d.jpg

Sky Shadow
26th February 2014, 07:15 AM
The black "metallic" Megatron I got had the same creaking sounds, so I had to be really careful transforming it

Definitely be careful - my one of those broke, and I blamed myself, but it makes sense if the plastic is fragile to start with.

ChlorHex
28th February 2014, 09:16 PM
JP Choro Q "metallic" Rodimus (and probably the others as well) suffers from Brittle Plastic Syndrome.
Fresh out of a sealed box, I turn the yellow back fin, and the little knob that locks into a tiny dimple at the front and back (for the two modes)
knocks out a chunk of plastic where the dimple was. There is now a hole in the back panel that is about the size of half a pea.
The arms were really stiff, and creaking, so I stopped transforming it halfway and put it back in Robot mode

So glad I got rid of it a year after they were released.
It just makes it so hard to predict which ones will crumble in time.
G1 toys still stand tall and proud... If you don't include the Japanese bots like Black Zarak that is :D

ChlorHex
28th February 2014, 09:35 PM
Aside from the usual Beast Wars Neo Randy that also broke on me upon taking it out of the package, Longrack also has brittle red plastic with the spring mechanism shattering the red plastic in its claw arm over time.
It shot out the claw and knocked another BW Neo toy in my shelf.
Another reminder that these are just toys... ain't built to last :(

griffin
5th March 2014, 12:06 AM
This is the photo of the Choro-Q Hot Rodimus, showing the chunk of brittle plastic that was punched through the inside of the toy - the tab under the wings should have popped out of the dimple in the maroon panel, but instead, it ripped out the surrounding plastic. A little later, I found the tiny tab, which had broken off in the process.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b761.jpg

It will never by transformed again, due to the fragile sounds to the creaking of the plastic. :(

ChlorHex
5th March 2014, 01:04 AM
BIB is the way to go for that bot, griff! :p
Surprised that the rubber wheels still remain intact!

kup
6th March 2014, 11:25 AM
G1 toys still stand tall and proud... If you don't include the Japanese bots like Black Zarak that is :D

Ironic given that some of the biggest offenders of GPS are G1 toys :p

plakstift
4th March 2018, 02:13 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but TR Wolfwire / Weirdwolf cockpit joint is very fragile. The yellow plastic is under stress and too skinny out of the box. It will most likely break if the cockpit is opened too often, but the soft pink plastic will keep the piece attached at the pin so annoying but not world ending.

1AZRAEL1
4th June 2018, 11:41 PM
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet, but TR Wolfwire / Weirdwolf cockpit joint is very fragile. The yellow plastic is under stress and too skinny out of the box. It will most likely break if the cockpit is opened too often, but the soft pink plastic will keep the piece attached at the pin so annoying but not world ending.

I bought a Takara Weirdwolf off someone recently, yea it already had it happen and seller hadn't realises until someone pointed it out. I still grabbed it from him as it didn't bother me too much. Was gonna attempt to transform him, but the part had mostly disintergrated so I stopped

Now, I was playing with my Mp Starscream, Hasbro first release. Went to transform him, and noticed the plastic around the pins to flip the wings were cracked. So again back to robot mode where he shall remain

ChlorHex
6th June 2018, 06:16 PM

That's rather concerning seeing that it's a new toy :o