PDA

View Full Version : Shattered

Borgeman
3rd April 2008, 07:21 PM
Basketball last night:

Down 2 pts with ~20sec left, the other team turned the ball over. i carried the ball down the court, dished it off, my teammate set up for a 3 pointer, sucked the defender in, gave it back to me as i had set up in the corner of the court - i put up the 3 to win the game....

AND MISSED!!!!! F%^&$T!C|<

and then lost. Shattered.....

George

GoktimusPrime
3rd April 2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.mrarmageddon.com/awesome/learnedfromsimpsons/homers_words_never_try.jpg :p

i_amtrunks
4th April 2008, 11:25 AM
I've missed a free throw after the final siren to lose a match before... theres no shame in missing a 3 point buzzer beater either.

We managed to have a goal scored against us with only 30-odd seconds left in Broomball last night, after letting in an equalising goal only a few minutes earlier, and leading the whole match beforehand. :(

TheDirtyDigger
4th April 2008, 11:33 AM
I was reffing a game the other week where a team was two points down and a second before the buzzer a player launched an almost half court shot to snatch victory by a point.
It was exciting even for me.

Anyway B-man don't worry too much. Like I tell the 8 yr old girls I coach...

"NOT F@#$%ING GOOD ENOUGH LADIES!!! SECOND IS THE FIRST LOSER!!! THE PAIN YOU FEEL IS WEAKNESS LEAVING YOUR BODY. WORK HARDER OR GET OFF MY COURT!!!"

Funny thing is at our last training session I sat them down and said I thought I had been a bit too hard on them this season and things were going ok coz we're sitting on top the ladder and I wasn't going to yell violently next game but be gentle coach instead.
They all protested and insisted that they needed me to yell and be harsh as they believe it's responsible for our winning streak.
I'm so proud of them. :)

1orion2many
4th April 2008, 02:23 PM
:confused:I'm lost for words DD:confused:. I personally have never met an 8 year old girl that likes getting yelled and screamed at, I didn't think most of them took their sports that seriously at that age:confused:. Borgeman, I wouldn't worry about the miss or the loss, if you play sports you are going to be on the wrong side of the score sheet sooner or later, enjoy it while your out there because as you get older your mind says yes but your body says don't be stupid you old fart. This normally happens when you get a serious injury, yes I'm speaking from experience:o.

TheDirtyDigger
4th April 2008, 02:42 PM
I personally have never met an 8 year old girl that likes getting yelled and screamed at, I didn't think most of them took their sports that seriously at that age

Haha..I was a bit lost for words too. I thought they'd jump at the chance for me to go softer on them because we train hard as well. We are generally up against all boys schools so I push them to aggressive and nurture a very sweet and violent streak in them all. I think we're the only basketball team that trains with boxing gloves and I reward any girl that puts the hurt on the other team with some 'accidental' fouls.
But yeah...they are definitley competitive. Winning is fun!
And everyone likes to have fun yeah?

griffin
5th April 2008, 07:38 PM
Even though there probably should be some age limit for that sort of verbal encouragement (up to a certain age, they should be more focused on having fun than focussing on winning at any cost), but it is an interesting example of how hungry for motivation some young kids can be, especailly if they are often neglected by their sole or working parents these days.

TheDirtyDigger
5th April 2008, 07:57 PM
Yeah as refs and teachers we do put the emphasis on fun when they are 5 and 6 years old but once they turn 7 we push the competition aspect of the game.
And as a coach I really push it.
I don't think parental neglect has anything to do with their motivations but I really wouldn't know.
Apart from my own daughter and a couple of other girls most of the team come from relatively very wealthy families and if anything the parents have too much 'interest' in their child's activities when they should just sit down, shut-up and let the coach deal with things.
The parents are even more competitive than the children it seems.:rolleyes:

Pulse
5th April 2008, 08:14 PM
Challenge the parents to a fight & beat the snot out of them. :D Then the kids will realise who the main man is & not to disobey the coach's orders - or else! :p