PDA

View Full Version : Images of Transformers: Prime characters

Bartrim
13th August 2010, 09:10 AM
Courtesy of Seibertron

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-prime-up-characters-up-close/19547/

fatbot
13th August 2010, 09:15 AM
I wonder if they took design cues from a lame devil costume for Cliffumpers head?

Towers_Spy
13th August 2010, 09:48 AM
expect heavy metal action, nail-biting suspense, and more human drama than ever.

Yes, yes, ...what? more hyooman drama? :rolleyes:

I do like Ratchet's design though

Tabias Prime
13th August 2010, 09:55 AM
well at least cliffjumper isn't just a redeco of bumblebee for a change..I'm sure he'll like that...:p:p:p:p

Tabias Prime
13th August 2010, 09:57 AM
more images here...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/new-transformers-prime-character-images-170407/

kup
13th August 2010, 10:06 AM
The CGI there looks really 1990s

Adzma
13th August 2010, 10:31 AM
Ugh, they've combined Bayformers with Animated? Any hopes I had for this series have disappeared. :(

5FDP
13th August 2010, 10:31 AM
If anyone needed further convincing that all they've done is combine Animated with the movie 'verse, all you have to do is look at those images.

It has Bumblebee ripped straight from the Bay storyboards, and a Megatron that looks almost identical to his Animated (Cybertronian) counterpart.

I'm not feeling this at all...

i_amtrunks
13th August 2010, 10:38 AM
"Its too clean cut".

That was the first thing into my head.

Ratchet looks okay, cant half tell he is based on his animated counterpart. Not a fan of the shade of Blue on Arcee, but thats just getting nitpicky. :p

I hope this series is okay, if it's not it'll just make me sadder that they canned animated for it.

5FDP
13th August 2010, 10:57 AM
Further to what I said above, I would have been as happy as a bot in a pile of sloppy energon if they went ahead and made a show based on WFC.

The designs were great and the characters were already developed to a point where it would have been easy to expand on the story.

Also, we already have the toys - Prime and Bumblebee with Megs and Soundwave to come, which is 4 more than we're expecting to get from this pile of crap.

Doesn't make sense to me.

Robzy
13th August 2010, 11:36 AM
Hmmm... not a fan at all!

I'll wait to see if they look better (in different images), but so far they look awful IMO.

Paulbot
13th August 2010, 12:12 PM
More complaints about early promotional pictures. :(

Did nobody learn the lesson of Animated to wait and watch the show before complaining?

Adzma
13th August 2010, 12:47 PM

Did nobody learn the lesson of Animated to wait and watch the show before complaining?
Can't speak for everyone here but I certainly gave Animated a chance. It blew it.

Sharky
13th August 2010, 12:50 PM
they kinda remind me of robots from the 80's astroboy series that bruton(??) destroyed....

Hursticon
13th August 2010, 01:06 PM
more images here...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/new-transformers-prime-character-images-170407/

Ha! the front end of Bumblebee looks almost like a VK Commodore. :p

I myself am not over the moon with this incarnation either but I'll see what it's like as the designs IMO are a little better than Animated but I did like the quality of writing that Animated had.

I think this is gonna have to be a wait and see.

Thanatos
13th August 2010, 01:11 PM
This show looks okay guys! Maybe my youth of Beast Wars makes me a bit of a sucker for CG animation but I think I'll give it a chance.

Unless it's the new Armada. That would suck.

5FDP
13th August 2010, 01:11 PM

Nope ;)

With Animated, wasn't a fan of the early character models and wasn't a fan of the finished product either. The thing that drew me into that show was the story and character development - something that had been sorely lacking in previous series. The disappointing aspect was that it became interesting with season 3 and we all know what happened then :(

It's being written by Orci and Kurtzman so I think fans have more than enough reason to be sceptical at this point.

Bartrim
13th August 2010, 01:25 PM
Unless it's the new Armada. That would suck.

I've always thought that it was kinda funny that Armada (a show that got quite a bit of panning) has the best TF computer game to date. Yes even though I enjoyed War for Cybertron I still prefer the PS2 Armada game.

I learnt my lesson with Animated so even though I'm not a fan of the designs (although Ratchet and Cliffjumper intrigue me) I'll wait and see what the actual show is like.

Lord_Zed
13th August 2010, 01:32 PM
Ugh, they've combined Bayformers with Animated? Any hopes I had for this series have disappeared. :(

That's what I've been saying since I saw the first Bumblebee pic.

I'll give it a chance eventualy. I am actual watching Animated now, or more correctly I'm watching %15 of Animated which isin't too bad once you get to the end of series 2. Still wouldn't call myself a fan though.

But then I haven't really enjoyed a TF cartoon since Beast Machines, so will this one actualy change my mind?

Probably not but you never know.

Lint
13th August 2010, 01:45 PM
It's being written by Orci and Kurtzman so I think fans have more than enough reason to be sceptical at this point.

Are they really the writers? I was hoping their input as exec producers was going to be limited to the premise and design aesthetic. I don't think they quite 'dig' transformers enough to be good writers for a show.

Jeff Kline as producer/writer gives me some hope, I liked MIB and Jackie Chan Adventures :o

Robzy
13th August 2010, 03:04 PM

Can't speak for everyone here but I certainly gave Animated a chance. It blew it.
+1

I gave Animated a chance too before it came out.

Anyway, the show might be great - that's not what (some) people are saying they dislike. We can only judge what we're seeing, and so far (personally) I'm not feeling it. I may like the show, but I think I'll will always dislike these character designs no matter what (they're too close to movie designs, which I don't like at all).

5FDP
13th August 2010, 03:40 PM
Are they really the writers? I was hoping their input as exec producers was going to be limited to the premise and design aesthetic. I don't think they quite 'dig' transformers enough to be good writers for a show.

From what I have heard, they will be co-writers as well as executive producers on the series.... so in other words, they will be writing the series ;)

Lint
13th August 2010, 03:57 PM
From what I have heard, they will be co-writers as well as executive producers on the series.... so in other words, they will be writing the series ;)

Do not want!!! :mad::(:p

Tallestblue
13th August 2010, 06:15 PM
Yay a new tv show! In a year we'll have toys and after three neat seasons it will cancelled without a word leaving us wanting more. (Oh, a expect them keep showing a prototype of Arcee and end up having it delayed until it turns up as a U.S. exclusive product.)

(Yes I'm still sore about Arcee.)

(And Animated.)

loophole
13th August 2010, 06:29 PM
those pictures look like something out of a kids storyboard lol

1AZRAEL1
13th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Funnily enough, I haven't watched anything since Beast Wars. Though I did watch the first episode of Galaxy Wars, and didn't watch more. But I am willing to give this a go. I kinda like the design of them.

Sky Shadow
13th August 2010, 09:31 PM

Blew our minds, that is! :cool:

The only things that really make or break a series are script, characterisation and voice acting, none of which can be discerned from these images. I'll wait and see.

All that long grass sure is creepy, though.

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2010, 08:51 AM
Both the Animated and Movie franchises were quite successful for Hasbro, so I don't blame them for wanting to combine their aesthetics. IMO it looks a lot better than Don Fig's attempt at blending movie-aesthetics with G1. I'm also glad that Cliffjumper is a whole new design and not a simple repaint/retool. The CGI to me looks too cartoonish and isn't as 'groundbreaking' as Beast Wars was (for its time - remember that BW did win an Emmy Award for best visual effects in an animated television series in 1998).

LordCyrusOmega
15th August 2010, 01:36 PM
I don't know, Animated = thumbs up (when i came around) Bayverse-Not so good. To early to tell but doesn't look to bad. I wrote animated off at the start and it's ended up being my favourite line. On the other hand i was psyched for the movie and was brutally disappointed.

So i'll just wait and see

Doubledealer
15th August 2010, 03:05 PM
We obviously can't judge the show itself yet so let's settle for first impressions. I'm not sure if I was in the minority but I adored Animated as soon as I saw the first artworks for it. This, on the other hand, looks like Animated infected with a bad case of the B(ay)-Virus. Why couldn't they a) expand on WFC (which is still fresh in most peoples minds) or b) create something new and exciting without creating a confused looking mess?

Gutsman Heavy
15th August 2010, 04:43 PM
well Hasbro sometimes says WFC is in the Prime continuity...

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th August 2010, 04:55 PM
Its interesting that people compare this to the relatively recent outrage of the first images of Animated. I thought animated looked bad from that image, but that mainly boiled down to me generally not liking the way the picture was drawn.

I love animated now, have a vast majority of all the figures and yet when I look at that pic it still makes me wann barf.

Having not yet looked at these images, I can say that from the previous pics I saw, I think the combined styles might be ok, but I would have preferred a WFC continuation for sure.

As for 'more human drama' .... I might just have to pass thanks. The 'human drama' from animated, especially in the first season were the definite rubbish episodes.

Anyway, aren't we watching Transformers? I wanna see Transformer drama. If I want human drama, I will watch days of out lives!

No toys planned for this either? Meh, I don't see the point of following at the moment. I am not going to buy Movie toys when they aren't the same ones as the ones in the cartoon... Saves me money though I guess.

kup
15th August 2010, 06:39 PM

I don't buy that. I think Hasbro is just trying to shoe horn it in for marketing purposes - I don't think Hasbro's marketing or it's more administrative departments fully understand their own brands beyond the commercial aspects. The developers who are the people who created the game have said that War for Cybertron is G1 and when you play the game, everything points to that.

It may not be exactly within any pre-existing G1 continuity like Sunbow, Marvel, DW or IDW but it is certainly within it's own take on a 'pre-Earth' G1 continuity.

Gutsman Heavy
15th August 2010, 06:55 PM
^ I agree 100% Kup

SamLoi888
15th August 2010, 07:09 PM
As Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Arcee, Ratchet, and the others "roll out" against Megatron, expect heavy metal action, nail-biting suspense, and more human drama than ever.

Most disappointing part of their promo statement highlighted in case anyone missed it.

kup
15th August 2010, 07:34 PM
Most disappointing part of their promo statement highlighted in case anyone missed it.

More evidence that the Hasbro corporate staff have no freaking clue. I am sure that kids watch Transformers because Transformers are in it, not primarily to watch "More Human Drama".

Lord_Zed
15th August 2010, 09:26 PM
More evidence that the Hasbro corporate staff have no freaking clue. I am sure that kids watch Transformers because Transformers are in it, not primarily to watch "More Human Drama".

Unless by human drama they mean they are actually going to have character development and drama like Beast Wars did. Human drama is inherent in all Transformers titles as Transformers display human emotions. Beast Wars had the most human drama of any Transformers series, despite having no proper humans in it. :p

Of course knowing Hasbro they probably mean it's going to have some stupid kid character(s) and plenty of slapstick.

kup
15th August 2010, 09:42 PM
Of course knowing Hasbro they probably mean it's going to have some stupid kid character(s) and plenty of slapstick.

Based on recent historical trends, I am inclined to think that is what they do mean.

Doubledealer
15th August 2010, 09:46 PM

I think the new movie 'Splice' is a good analogy for the look of Transformers Prime. Take two things that, on their own, are great but when you combine their genes you end up with something incredibly ****ed up that is gonna end up biting you in the arse.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th August 2010, 11:47 PM
Having finally had a look at the pics, I quite like the design of Ratchet especially and most of the others. Bumblebee is a tad too movie-esque for my liking. I dig Cliffjumper though.

In the second lot of pics, with the red car, I query the Fraggle playing in the background....

FFN
16th August 2010, 12:08 AM
Remember when this forum raged about Animated and then looked silly afterwards?

Good times.

It's being written by Orci and Kurtzman so I think fans have more than enough reason to be sceptical at this point. They may be writing something or other , but their main job will be executive producing. Besides, without the influence of Michael Bay, they wrote the critically acclaimed Star Trek.

I don't buy that. I think Hasbro is just trying to shoe horn it in for marketing purposes - I don't think Hasbro's marketing or it's more administrative departments fully understand their own brands beyond the commercial aspects. The developers who are the people who created the game have said that War for Cybertron is G1 and when you play the game, everything points to that.

It may not be exactly within any pre-existing G1 continuity like Sunbow, Marvel, DW or IDW but it is certainly within it's own take on a 'pre-Earth' G1 continuity. Well, the WFC Exodus book is based on Hasbro's own Transformers "bible", which serves as backstory for Prime and presumably future Transformers series. The game doesn't fit in too well into this, but there you go, it's just a game with a bare minimum of storyline and characterisation.

From Hasbro's perspective, Exodus/their bible is the pre-Earth storyline for this new franchise, with the game being the mass market media to represent it.

As for whatever High Moon Studios and Activision think - they say what is needed to sell the game to the millions of people who aren't really Transformers fans (in the sense that you and me are fans) but remember "the cartoon from the 80s". So they've said a load of rubbish in videos, podcasts and interviews about it being the prequel to the Sunbow cartoon, which is of course, totally untrue.

More evidence that the Hasbro corporate staff have no freaking clue. I am sure that kids watch Transformers because Transformers are in it, not primarily to watch "More Human Drama". I think you people are taking that a little too literally.

The way I read human drama is a marketing buzzword for "more complex and developed stories/characterisation" or something to that effect. Saying "more robot drama than ever before!" doesn't make any sense.

1orion2many
16th August 2010, 02:00 AM
I actually disliked the drawing style of animated and still do, I like the look of Ratchet but not sure on the others yet in this new series. The storyline in Animated wasn't to bad but I still find that style of cartoon not to my taste and I dislike watching it and don't think I look silly because of my opinion and dislike in general of that series. I must admit a little more of an open minded view by people until they watch some of the new and upcoming series would be nice but if they dislike the designs then it doesn't mean they are going to look silly because that is their opinion;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th August 2010, 02:11 AM
Knowing that exodus book is intended to possibly be based on Prime seires makes a bit more sense. AFter reading it, I thought it was supposed to run with WFC, but mute Bumblebee and Ninja Prowl made little sense when comparing to the game.

I guess if it's based on hasbros bible, mute bumblebee and ninja prowl is the future. Bugger.

Nevertheless, I will still watch the cartoon and reserve major judgement for that.

5FDP
16th August 2010, 09:01 AM
They may be writing something or other , but their main job will be executive producing. Besides, without the influence of Michael Bay, they wrote the critically acclaimed Star Trek.

And the critically panned Mission: Impossible 3 ;)

SamLoi888
16th August 2010, 09:30 AM
I think you people are taking that a little too literally.

The way I read human drama is a marketing buzzword for "more complex and developed stories/characterisation" or something to that effect. Saying "more robot drama than ever before!" doesn't make any sense.

I'd bet 100 dollars you are wrong and it's referring to lame humans they will be inserting into the story.

Doubledealer
16th August 2010, 09:44 AM

Good times.

I think it would be foolish to completely write off Prime without first watching it, however, you have to admit that it's a different kettle of fish when compared to Animated - a series that was very much its own thing stylistically. Animated's aesthetic was very much an acquired taste (as said previously, I think it's great), but at least it stood apart from the crowd. Can the same be said of Prime?

I don't see how this new series could have anything to do with WFC as wouldn't every characters alt mode be the same as in the G1 comics/cartoon? It's certainly a curious one. :p

kup
16th August 2010, 10:17 AM

Good times.

A lot of people here and in the fandom as a whole still don't like Animated. Keep in mind that Animated only became more consistently good from Season 3 onwards and that's where a lot of the 'liking' comes from. The first Season IMO was very bad and the second season was spotty at best.

I think that its very silly to state that all the people who disliked Animated were somehow 'converted' after watching it. I still see consistent comments from the same people when commenting on the show.

kup
16th August 2010, 10:24 AM
Knowing that exodus book is intended to possibly be based on Prime seires makes a bit more sense. AFter reading it, I thought it was supposed to run with WFC, but mute Bumblebee and Ninja Prowl made little sense when comparing to the game.

I guess if it's based on hasbros bible, mute bumblebee and ninja prowl is the future. Bugger.

Nevertheless, I will still watch the cartoon and reserve major judgement for that.

I think Exodus is meant to be TF:Prime but was also artificially shoe horned into WFC because Hasbro wanted it to.

I am now dreading this mute Bumblebee. It sucked in the movie and I don't see how it's not going to suck now.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th August 2010, 10:39 AM
I am now dreading this mute Bumblebee. It sucked in the movie and I don't see how it's not going to suck now.

I concur with that statement 100%

Lord_Zed
16th August 2010, 01:15 PM
I think that its very silly to state that all the people who disliked Animated were somehow 'converted' after watching it. I still see consistent comments from the same people when commenting on the show.

Check, I've watched a bit of Animated It gets better around series 3, but I wouldn't say it's thrilled me, I still don't dig the designs and have no desire to collect the toys.

I'm also still entirely bewildered by something I can only describe as Lugnut Mania.:D

As for Bumblbee the days of him being the slightly unsure of himself everyman TF are gone, he's now been recast as either Silent Warrior or Fiesty Warrior.

FFN
16th August 2010, 04:19 PM
A lot of people here and in the fandom as a whole still don't like Animated. Keep in mind that Animated only became more consistently good from Season 3 onwards and that's where a lot of the 'liking' comes from. The first Season IMO was very bad and the second season was spotty at best.

I think that its very silly to state that all the people who disliked Animated were somehow 'converted' after watching it. I still see consistent comments from the same people when commenting on the show. The level of bile, anger and hatred spewed forth by practically all forums upon sight of the first images of Animated was an embarrassing period for this fandom. And then, as it turns out, Animated didn't deserve that initial reaction at all, regardless of what you think of it now. It was never as bad as you imagined.

The point is pre-judging a series before you have more concrete information and context is illogical.

kup
16th August 2010, 04:28 PM
The level of bile, anger and hatred spewed forth by practically all forums upon sight of the first images of Animated was an embarrassing period for this fandom. And then, as it turns out, Animated didn't deserve that initial reaction at all, regardless of what you think of it now. It was never as bad as you imagined.

The point is pre-judging a series before you have more concrete information and context is illogical.

The first season is every bit as bad as I imagined it, perhaps worse.

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah but it might not have been. I believe FFN is merely advocating that people ought not to pass judgement on a series until after they've watched it. If after watching it you think it's crap, then fine. Shows don't always meet our expectations -- after watching three Seasons of Beast Wars I thought Beast Machines would rock (even though I knew they'd changed writers). And while I did enjoy Beast Machines, it certainly did not meet my expectations.

kup
16th August 2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah but it might not have been. I believe FFN is merely advocating that people ought not to pass judgement on a series until after they've watched it. If after watching it you think it's crap, then fine. Shows don't always meet our expectations -- after watching three Seasons of Beast Wars I thought Beast Machines would rock (even though I knew they'd changed writers). And while I did enjoy Beast Machines, it certainly did not meet my expectations.

But I don't think anyone on this thread has passed final judgement on the new show nor showing irrational hatred towards it. We are all merely commenting on what has been shown to us so far not the show itself. Everyone despite the views being positive or negative have been well composed and reasonable. The most 'charged' posts on this thread happen to be from the person accusing us of it only that they happen to lean towards the other extreme of the equation.

5FDP
16th August 2010, 06:53 PM
All I will say is – being judgemental is the right of all sentient beings :p

As you were :D

SGB
16th August 2010, 07:05 PM
Wow, the designs are quite sucktacular.

Lord_Zed
16th August 2010, 07:17 PM
While I also don't think anyone has written the series off, FFN does have a point. Us old TF fans do get stuck in our ways and tend to be skeptical of these new Transformer series. I remember being skeptical of the merits of Beast Wars cartoon back when it first came out.

Lint
16th August 2010, 09:40 PM
All I will say is – being judgemental is the right of all sentient beings :p

Wisest words i've read all day!

FFN there are still a couple of people I cannot convince to watch Animated to this day, despite my continued insistence that it is worth watching. The images/cartoon style still are that offensive. :p

1AZRAEL1
17th August 2010, 09:48 AM
FFN there are still a couple of people I cannot convince to watch Animated to this day, despite my continued insistence that it is worth watching. The images/cartoon style still are that offensive. :p

I would probably be one of those. I have no real interest in watching Animated. But I can honestly say I will give Prime a go and watch the show to make my own opinion. Not going to judge it on what little we have seen of it. I haven't watched any Transformers show since Beast Wars, even though I have the Beast Machines series. I did see a few episodes of RID, but was turned off it by the animation. Probably the same reason I was turned off animated.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2010, 10:54 AM
There are still people who refuse to watch Beast Wars despite the fact it's the only Transformers TV series to win an Emmy Award and was extremely popular with fans and is widely considered by fans to be one of the best stories ever written for Transformers. Some people just can't get past the fact the organic alt mode thing.

Likewise some people really dislike the live action movies and Animated because they can't get past the unorthodox designs. I'm not a huge fan of Animated's designs either TBH, but I was able to get past it and allowed myself to watch the show and judge it accordingly. I didn't like Season 1 very much, Season 2 was hit and miss, and I enjoyed Season 3 (so Animated got cancelled just as I was starting to like it -- and of course, my favourite season of Animated is the only one that's NOT available on DVD! :mad:).

But hey... some people just won't allow themselves to watch something just because they don't like the aesthetic designs, no matter how often people tell them that it's good and that they should see it.

5FDP
17th August 2010, 11:04 AM
There are still people who refuse to watch Beast Wars despite the fact it's the only Transformers TV series to win an Emmy Award and was extremely popular with fans and is widely considered by fans to be one of the best stories ever written for Transformers. Some people just can't get past the fact the organic alt mode thing.

:o

FFN
17th August 2010, 11:35 AM
Now that that is more or less resolved, what about my pointing out that High Moon Studios and Activision didn't know what the hell they were talking about/lying when they were hyping up War for Cybertron? The game is not a prequel to the Sunbow cartoon.

With that in mind, I don't see how there's an assertion that they are more trust worthy about WFC's intended continuity than Hasbro.

I've seen some people on other forums propose that Hasbro is merely doing this to have TF Prime feed off of WFC's popularity. The problem with this theory is that Hasbro doesn't need to connect the game to the new cartoon for the purposes of hype, because the majority of the game's customers will not care about Transformers cartoons beyond the Sunbow cartoon (and to a lesser extent, whatever series they grew up with), and the primary target market of TF Prime will not care about the complex intricacies of series continuity.

Basically, Hasbro's statement about continuity is for their internal universe-building and for those of us on the internet who care.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2010, 12:16 PM
Wow, I never new that WFC was meant to be a direct prequel to anything -- I thought it was like a prequel to "generic G1" (as opposed to any specific G1 continuity)... so that's how I view WFC, as existing in a 'generic' continuity of G1. Having said that, my exposure to WFC has been purely through the toys -- I haven't touched the game yet. :)

Deceptic_Optic
17th August 2010, 12:21 PM
Its look cool in IMHO... might watch this and dfinitely get the toys if it does come out :D

kup
17th August 2010, 12:36 PM
Wow, I never new that WFC was meant to be a direct prequel to anything -- I thought it was like a prequel to "generic G1" (as opposed to any specific G1 continuity)... so that's how I view WFC, as existing in a 'generic' continuity of G1. Having said that, my exposure to WFC has been purely through the toys -- I haven't touched the game yet. :)

That's how I understood it. I have played the game from start to finish and the game itself tells me so.

With that in mind, I don't see how there's an assertion that they are more trust worthy about WFC's intended continuity than Hasbro.

They made the game ;)

Hasbro is just adding their own spin after it has already been created.

Gutsman Heavy
17th August 2010, 03:01 PM
I'd argue artisitic intent RE: WFC. The developers have stated that its a prequel to the G1 toon many times, it makes numerous references to the G1 toon, and Rumble is blue!

5FDP
17th August 2010, 03:22 PM
...and Rumble is blue!

Here we go again :rolleyes: :D

kup
17th August 2010, 03:29 PM
I'd argue artisitic intent RE: WFC. The developers have stated that its a prequel to the G1 toon many times, it makes numerous references to the G1 toon, and Rumble is blue!

I'll agree that the artistic intend is indeed for the game to be a prequel to cartoon G1. However during development there has been some artistic liberties taken with the story and characters that somewhat changes the story from being a straight prequel to the cartoon to more of being a unique story based on it. This pretty much creates another new G1 continuity such as DW or IDW G1.

Spoilerish:

For example: Having the core of Cybertron being a Primus like entity (or Primus himself since some Autobots shout "By Primus!") or having characters such as Jetfire present during the war when he should have been frozen in ice on Earth. Having Silverbolt and Air Raid present when they shouldn't have been created yet (according to cartoon). These story discrepancies to the cartoon make War for Cybertron stand more in a G1 continuity of its own. However the cartoon wasn't exactly super consistent with itself but one would surmise that a story made 25+ years after the cartoon would at least try to maintain some level of story consistency with it (such as Jetfire's or the Aerialbot origin episodes). Unless they made a conscious decision to branch out into a story of their own which I believe they have.

Doubledealer
17th August 2010, 03:36 PM

The other thing about Beast Wars is that, by todays standards, the 3D animation is limited and ugly eg. Sega Saturn CG quality. The organic alt mode thing was definitely hard to stomache (for me at least) but I just found it a real chore to watch this series beyond a few episodes because of the basic, ugly animation and (to me) childish presentation. If they could do some kind of Evangelion-esque 4-part movie remake I'd be all for it. :)

5FDP
17th August 2010, 03:48 PM
I honestly believe that people are reading too much into this 'continuity' thing when comparing character whereabouts in WFC and the Sunbow cartoon.

Remember how Megatron created the Constructicons in a cave on Earth in the episode Heavy Metal War which conflicts with the episode The Secret of Omega Supreme as they were present on Cybertron during the great war. This is suppose to be the same continuity :confused:

Oh... and everyone knows that Rumble is red ;) :p

EDIT: I typed the above while kup edited his post to include...

However the cartoon wasn't exactly super consistent with itself...

Couldn't agree more mate :)

kup
17th August 2010, 04:05 PM
Couldn't agree more mate :)

I think that we can all agree (except FFN :p) that despite what Hasbro says, WFC is G1 even if it's not totally consistent with any pre-established G1 continuity. You only need common sense to come to that conclusion after playing the game.

Lint
17th August 2010, 04:43 PM
The other thing about Beast Wars is that, by todays standards, the 3D animation is limited and ugly eg. Sega Saturn CG quality. The organic alt mode thing was definitely hard to stomache (for me at least) but I just found it a real chore to watch this series beyond a few episodes because of the basic, ugly animation and (to me) childish presentation. If they could do some kind of Evangelion-esque 4-part movie remake I'd be all for it. :)

I agree with you fully. Every episode seemed like 'slapstick adventures of the ugly robo-animals against the same bleak rocky backdrop'

Hursticon
17th August 2010, 06:49 PM

I agree with you fully. Every episode seemed like 'slapstick adventures of the ugly robo-animals against the same bleak rocky backdrop'

Blasphemy!

I can't believe you would even consider comparing 15y/o CG with what we have today, are you serious? :confused:

In that line of thinking, you guys must think that Animated is SO much better than the G1 cartoons? :confused:

Without G1 - we wouldn't have this franchise.
Without BW - we wouldn't have this franchise.

Give this new show a chance because without out it or the movies, guess what?...

Lint
17th August 2010, 07:29 PM
Blasphemy!
I can't believe you would even consider comparing 15y/o CG with what we have today, are you serious? :confused:

I thought it was crap at the time and would have preferred richer animation that would have been viable using traditional 2d techniques.

Give this new show a chance because without out it or the movies, guess what?...

I seriously can imagine the TF franchise continuing strongly without the movies. A lot of childhood TF fans were attracted back by the classics line and have continued interest with Universe and now Generations. Animated was a well produced cartoon which has ensured the enduring memory of TFs in children born in the 2000's Transformers will always survive so long as there is a show. I'd just like it to be good. :)

As someone said earlier "Being judgemental is the right of all sentient beings" :D

This discussion probably belongs more to the Iacon Arena :p

Hursticon
17th August 2010, 08:04 PM
I thought it was crap at the time and would have preferred richer animation that would have been viable using traditional 2d techniques.

I seriously can imagine the TF franchise continuing strongly without the movies. A lot of childhood TF fans were attracted back by the classics line and have continued interest with Universe and now Generations. Animated was a well produced cartoon which has ensured the enduring memory of TFs in children born in the 2000's Transformers will always survive so long as there is a show. I'd just like it to be good. :)

As someone said earlier "Being judgemental is the right of all sentient beings" :D

This discussion probably belongs more to the Iacon Arena :p

Admittedly, I do tend to get a little defensive with BW, a hard habit to break :p.
But you got to admit for the day, they did bloody well with the CG on BW as the only thing better at the time was Toy Story, given, they could've done the show in traditional 2D but the franchise was knocking on death's door and really needed something that stood out from the rest of the crowd.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of the cartoons that followed BW, though I was at least impressed with the writing of Animated.

The animation and story of every cartoon from BM to Animated basically had the same affect on me as Dick Knubbler:

Though in their Japanese contexts, RiD - Energon might be better than their Western counterparts.

I'd also like the next cartoon to be good, animation looks good so far - designs will take getting used to but the main thing is writing and story.

GoktimusPrime
17th August 2010, 08:32 PM
I've made a thread to continue this discussion about Beast Wars here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=187044#post187044) rather than further derailing this thread that should be about images of TF: Prime characters. :) Cheers.

This discussion probably belongs more to the Iacon Arena
Great minds think alike and fools seldom differ. :D

AussieJason
17th August 2010, 09:28 PM

I've been reading this thread for a few days now without comment... and these are the wisest words I have read in it.

I didn't like BW. Sorry, but there it is. However, it doesn't matter as many fans did. I understand those that defend it and why. It played it's role in keeping the brand alive.

Many hated Animated. I liked it, so again I am probably in the minority here. I liked the reboot, and the fact they were trying to get back to basics, in that transforming robots was the gimmick. In my opinion, the brand probably needed this. This was what the Bay Transformers movie had, and it's what any current TF TV show also should have had.

I am not a fan of Bay-verse. Yes, I'll go and watch TF3 but I'll walk in that cinema reluctantly. It concerns me that despite ROTF doing well revenue-wise, it may have damaged the brand in the long term.

Hopefully, TF:Prime can keep the brand alive. The last thing we; as dedicated TF fans want is the brand to wane, and fade away.

I have to admit I don't hold high hopes for TF:Prime... but I would rather that I don't like it and it perform well with the mainstream audience, than I like it and be gone within 2-3 seasons.

It keeps the fandom alive, and in turn an excellent community such as this alive. Griffin has created and maintains an excellent site here, and it would be a huge loss for us all if we were to lose Transformers from the mainstream media.

Hursticon
17th August 2010, 11:56 PM
Thank you for the compliment AussieJason.

@ Doubledealer and Lint - please see my post here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=187044#post187044) and I apologise to you guys for any disrespect and for almost derailing this thread.

Guys, lets just give this new show a chance, I never saw how the fandom reacted to Animated when it first came out but I did hear about it. So far from these few pictures of this new show though, I now know. :o

kup
18th August 2010, 12:59 AM
One has to admit that the first shown Animated promo pic was pretty god damn awful. It doesn't properly represent the actual Animation of the show which is much better. But since it was the official promo pic and we were lead to believe that this was what the show would look like. Then the rage was at the time somewhat justified even if it's not so much now from a retrospective point of view.

For your reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-x_2EotzHU&feature=related)