PDA

View Full Version : Generations Dirge v Henkei Dirge

5FDP
13th August 2010, 09:42 PM
Some comparison images have been posted over on KOToys and mirrored on TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/photo-gallery-of-generations-dirge-170408/) comparing the differences between Generations Dirge and Henkei Dirge.

The general consensus seems to be that Generations Dirge is the better version which is good news for those that were unable to afford the more expensive and hard-to-find Henkei release. I tend to agree however I'll let the picture do the talking (if you place your ear right up against your monitor, you'll hear him speak ;))

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1096/generationsvhenkei.jpg

kaiden
13th August 2010, 09:47 PM
sweet.

at $25AU you really cant go wrong with the generations line. I'm very happy with Thrust as well.

lcz128
13th August 2010, 10:51 PM
from the pictures i do like the generations' shade of blue but I still prefer the henkei version heaps better - the black plastic that can be seen from the top of the alt mode is the most disappointing thing about this release I reckon :( that and the fact that the lines on the wings are disjointed.

Lord_Zed
14th August 2010, 12:03 AM
The Generations Dirge will fit in better with my mostly Classics seekers, as the paint apps are similar, while the Henkei is a bit more unique.

I'm sure there both fine though horses for courses and all.

Gutsman Heavy
14th August 2010, 12:52 AM
I like the Generations one better

*glares at Henkei Dirge on shelf*

Hursticon
14th August 2010, 02:19 AM
I like the Generations one better

*glares at Henkei Dirge on shelf*

:p:D

That made me laugh man, no love for the expensive guys. :p

dirge
14th August 2010, 09:33 AM
Being Dirge, I'll grab the Generations toy; even though I have Henkei & BotCon versions.

(I only have BotCon Thrust, skipped Henkei & Generations)

hanprimus
14th August 2010, 10:39 AM
Wow the generations looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better......:p

liegeprime
14th August 2010, 10:45 AM
Ill buy one, just so I can have the variant, not sure if I wanna set it free though, prolly like Generations Thrust, a prisoner mwahahahahah.:D

Tallestblue
14th August 2010, 10:56 AM
Naturally I'll buy whatever Is easily available, but It's good that Generations Dirge and Thrust look a lot nicer compared to the Henkei versions.
Now if only Hasbro does a Generations Thundercracker.

Jetfire
14th August 2010, 11:06 AM
Generations Dirge looks great, another top addition to a great line-up. Keep the seekers coming Hasbro.

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2010, 11:20 AM
+1. Bring on Generations Thundercracker. :)

bruticus
14th August 2010, 04:27 PM
the black plastic that can be seen from the top of the alt mode is the most disappointing thing about this release I reckon :(
agreed. not sure why they left those parts black. should have been blue.
Fingers crossed that those photos from KOToys are the QA/QC rejects and hopefully the final release will have the corrected colours.

Ill buy one, just so I can have the variant, not sure if I wanna set it free though, prolly like Generations Thrust, a prisoner mwahahahahah.:D
yep, i'll be buying one but may have to keep him imprisoned until i can reshuffle my display cabinets.

Now if only Hasbro does a Generations Thundercracker.

+1. Bring on Generations Thundercracker. :)

+ 2 indeed

1AZRAEL1
14th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Dayum, I like this Dirge better than the Henkei. Oh well I will buy this one.

MV75
15th August 2010, 11:49 AM
agreed. not sure why they left those parts black. should have been blue.

Nope. :) It would look like a lazy ko if it was too much one colour. Umm oops. :D

Look at a real comparison, g1 dirge. The g1 versions are what they are modelled after in the universe/generations line. Generations is spot on. Even the orientation of the faction symbols is correct.

The henkei version looks like what acid storm did to starscream in comparison. Same toy, but different scheme for a different character. Speaking of acid and other substances, I really can't even find a link on henkei colour choice. Grey instead of black? Blue/white instead of red/white? Where is the link?

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2010, 10:58 AM
Dirge isn't Henkei, he's Gentei. A separate sub-line, and the word "Gentei" means "exclusive." And when something's a limited exclusive, you can make it as weird looking (or ugly - just look at BotCon Cindersaur!) as you like and you'll know they'll sell because they're a limited exclusive, and fans will grab at it like pigeons going for crumbs of bread. Look at all the random black, clear and pewter variants! I remember someone made a fan comic (was it Shortpacked or Itswalky??) where Takara execs were coming up with an idea for a new exclusive variant and they had to spin their "Wheel O' Exclusives," which had Black Black Black Black Clear Black Black. :)

I don't think Gentei Dirge is bad looking btw - he just looks different from the G1 colours and different isn't necessarily bad. But for people who prefer more G1-accurate colours then Generations is definitely preferable. As many of you recall, I bought both Gentei and Generations Thrust... and I had a lot of trouble trying to decide which one I preferred because both had their individual merits. I couldn't really make up my mind, and in the end I decided to keep Gentei Thrust just cos he's an exclusive (i.e. if I ever change my mind later it would be easier/cheaper for me to get another Generations Thrust vs. replacing my Gentei Thrust).

If I already had Gentei Dirge, I'd buy a Generations Dirge then compare the two and keep one. But I missed out on Gentei Dirge, so I'll definitely be getting a Genny Dirge for keepsies. :)

Gutsman Heavy
16th August 2010, 01:10 PM
(or ugly - just look at BotCon Cindersaur!)

THEMS FIGHTING WORDS!

:p

GoktimusPrime
16th August 2010, 04:47 PM
THEMS FIGHTING WORDS!

:cool::D:p http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/stinkoman20x6.gif

gekisou
18th August 2010, 07:25 AM
THEMS FIGHTING WORDS!

I totally agree that Cindersaur is the ugliest thing I've seen in a while... as an exclusive. But I still have one cos a friend in the US grabbed one for me. So, I'm happy...

But yeah, back on track... I don't have any of the Dirge exclusives so I'm getting the Generations one for sure.

kup
18th August 2010, 12:03 PM
I totally agree that Cindersaur is the ugliest thing I've seen in a while... as an exclusive. But I still have one cos a friend in the US grabbed one for me. So, I'm happy...

But yeah, back on track... I don't have any of the Dirge exclusives so I'm getting the Generations one for sure.

No one here is going to deny that he is the ugliest thing ever but that is why we like him :)

dirge
18th August 2010, 01:52 PM
No one here is going to deny that he is the ugliest thing ever

I will deny it. G2 Flamefeather is even uglier :eek:

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2010, 02:50 PM
And yet he's a thing of beauty compared to _any_ of the Transformers Animorphs! ;)

Hursticon
18th August 2010, 04:24 PM

Agreed! :)

And yet he's a thing of beauty compared to _any_ of the Transformers Animorphs! ;)

Super Agreed! :D

Oh, the Animorphs... where does one begin? :p

Lord_Zed
19th August 2010, 01:20 PM

I will deny your denial!

Disagree'd!!!!:p

GoktimusPrime
19th August 2010, 03:58 PM
Flamefeather is my favourite Firecon just cos he was my first. Well, got Sparkstalker at the same time, but it was technically my brother's at the time. ;)

Lord_Zed
19th August 2010, 06:14 PM
Flamefeather is my favourite Firecon just cos he was my first. Well, got Sparkstalker at the same time, but it was technically my brother's at the time. ;)

Also Flamefeathers Alt mode is probably the closest we've seen to a Griffin, by which I mean the mythological beast and not that other Griffin.:D I always wanted TF's that turned into actual established mythological beasts, other than the endless Dragons I mean.

But anyway I thought this thread was about Dirge, even though he's not as cool as Flamfeather. :)

dirge
19th August 2010, 10:09 PM
I will deny your denial!

But anyway I thought this thread was about Dirge, even though he's not as cool as Flamfeather. :)

You really wanna _walk_ on Sunday morning, don't ya? :p