PDA

View Full Version : [EOI] stackable figurine stands

grimlock531
23rd August 2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Guys, not sure if this is the correct place to post, please move if required. :o

So, I started building these stands to maximize the space in my display cabinet, and thought other board members might be interested. I am currently looking at EOI to see if this project is worth continuing and also determine what sizes would be most appropriate for people's collection, official sales thread will be created once design is finalized.

Looking at creating 3 different sizes, these stands will stand at about 50mm tall. Sizes will depend on the feedback received in this thread.

The price will vary from the 3 sizes, more material = more costs, to give a rough idea, I would be looking at around $50 for a pack of 10 stands (platform size 100mm x 100mm, this is still a WIP and can change depending on interest and feedback).

The pack will include 10 platforms with 4 pre-drilled holes, and a bag of 40 rods. It won't come assembled, makes it easier and safer to ship. Superglue is required for a fixed and strong assembly, this is due to varied tolerances in manufacture.

This will all be done in my spare time, so turn around time can vary.

Think that's about it, let me know what you guys are interested or not, comments and criticisms welcome =D

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu197/shenlong531/shelvingunits.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu197/shenlong531/shelvingdisplay.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu197/shenlong531/shelvingdisplayangle.jpg

kup
23rd August 2010, 09:57 PM
Looks pretty nice. I would actually be interested.

So $50 for 10 stands sounds ok.

iceburn
23rd August 2010, 10:03 PM
i would be interested if the price is abit cheaper; also could we have 20-30 short and 10-20 medium/long rods?

Sharky
23rd August 2010, 10:17 PM
i would be interested

loophole
23rd August 2010, 10:22 PM
i would be interested too

llamatron
23rd August 2010, 10:43 PM
If I wasn't possibly moving I would be all over those. Good work and I encourage you to see the projection through to completion, I think they look excellent. I still might just pick up one set...

Sam
23rd August 2010, 11:41 PM
Looks quite nice and professional. Unfortunately I have very little space left in my place, so I will take a pass. But great work!

Hursticon
23rd August 2010, 11:49 PM
Oh man!, if I had started to build a proper display case I would truly be all over these as they are an excellent looking product and I like to help out local guys where I can.

From the looks of things Grimlock531 you've certainly got a bit of interest here, would you still be interested in producing them in a couple of months time? :D

gamblor916
24th August 2010, 06:46 AM
I'm interested in a few of these. Is it possible to get a mix of different sizes?

Deceptic_Optic
24th August 2010, 07:53 AM
me too :D

5FDP
24th August 2010, 08:40 AM
Nice work grimlock531 :)

SamLoi888
24th August 2010, 09:59 AM
They look great!
In my opinion a little expensive for what they are, especially as glue/assembly by the buyer is required.
Another point that might help in sales and/or cost reduction is that only 10 for $50 is nowhere near enough for a lot of members here with very large collections.
Would you consider doing packs in greater quantities such as 50's or maybe even 100's?

liegeprime
24th August 2010, 10:06 AM
I'm interested in a few of these. Is it possible to get a mix of different sizes?

I agree, perhaps different lengths/width as well? Also, different heights for the legs, that way you get more variance in heights rather than stacking them one top of each other , those platforms used to stack on could be of more use for other figures rather than just be platforms to stack another platform on.

grimlock531
24th August 2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the comments and interests guys, just to answer a few questions.

I can arrange say about 3 different pack choices, for example:

pack 1 - all the same sizes
pack 2 - 2 different sizes
pack 3 - 3 different sizes

As I don't have a wide variety in my collection, getting a few rough dimensions of what would suit members collection would be handy.

Different height rods can be arranged if this option is prefered by majority of members

As for the price, it was just a ball park figure to gather interest, it will be cheaper once this goes ahead.

For larger orders, it'll best to contact me and we'll work something out.

Just a reminder, nothing is set in concrete as yet, so if there are any more suggestions or preferences, I will look into it.

Incase there is some confusion, these stands will be made in my spare time by me, it's not a business venture, just thought I would share these stands with the community. :D

gamblor916
24th August 2010, 11:20 AM
Can you post dimensions for each stand? If you're doing them yourself how are they being made, lasercut acrylic?

liegeprime
24th August 2010, 01:00 PM
So, um does this mean we can order like made to order sizing or should we send suggestion of dimensions which can be standard for a SM, M, L kinda sizing and variant length as well, as well as for the peg stands heights?

Ooooh lazaaaah cutaaahhh!!:D

1AZRAEL1
24th August 2010, 01:07 PM
So, um does this mean we can order like made to order sizing or should we send suggestion of dimensions which can be standard for a SM, M, L kinda sizing and variant length as well, as well as for the peg stands heights?

I know you definitely need them, all those minicons on one shelf, looks like just a sea of robots :p

But I like the idea of getting these. Not sure If I will get some, but it's worth seeing how it will look with my collection.

grimlock531
24th August 2010, 09:13 PM

sending in suggestions would be appreciated, I've only designed my current set up to suit the shelves I have, which may not suit other members shelves. thanks.

grimlock531
24th August 2010, 09:31 PM
Can you post dimensions for each stand? If you're doing them yourselves how are they being made, laser cut acrylic?

As for dimensions, I would like to get an idea of what members are after, as my choices may only suit my collection.

Won't be laser cutting, got access to a cnc cutter,so protective covers for the plastics will remain intact. to ensure nice surface finish during shipping.

JuzMel
25th August 2010, 01:45 PM
I like the idea! Would like some too and then I can dump my styrofoam / make-shift boxes! :p

kristofferrer
25th August 2010, 03:05 PM
hey that looks so brilliant! i'm interested.

snaketales
25th August 2010, 10:41 PM
These do look good... much better than the empty ferroro rocher chocolate boxes I am using..
Pencil me in as interested

jaydisc
26th August 2010, 09:03 PM
Beautiful work!

reillyd
26th August 2010, 10:25 PM
These look absolutely incredible. I dearly wanted to buy an acrylic display system from the states, but the shipping is astronomical and diabolical.
If you can make these yourself, and find a way to ship them (like unassembled) you are going to get a ton of interest. Just leave enough profit to make it worth your while, because I think you might find yourself overwhelmed with orders, and if you're doing it in your spare time you might find spare time runs out quick!

grimlock531
29th August 2010, 10:26 PM
thanks for all the comments guys

I have decided to offer 2 different sizes for now, but you'll have the option of 2 different heights.

Just to get an idea if these dimensions suit members I am looking at getting one of these sets made up. any feedback would be appreciated if platform size doesn't suit majority of members collections.

option A: 100x100mm and 100x200mm
option B: 125x125mm and 125mmx250mm

and if a third size is required for smaller figs, (depending on number of interests)

option C: 50mm x 50mm
option D: 100mm x 75mm

heights available would be approx 50mm and 100mm

I will have official prices when sizes are confirmed.

cheers

Oilspill
30th August 2010, 02:49 AM
Great idea, I'd be keen on some of these.

I have a question for you grimlock.

I'd be interested in using vertical space to allow me to display more figures in the same area.

Would it be possible to do stands that are about 200mm high (and maybe 300mm x 150mm in size)? Or is that not structurally feasible? Would the posts be too thin to support that kind of height?

The idea is that this would allow me to display a figure on the stand and one below. E.g. Animated Skywarp in vehicle mode on the stand, and Animated Oilslick below it, as a random example.

grimlock531
30th August 2010, 01:23 PM
that might be possible, would have to set one up to get a better idea, but would most likely involve another platform at the base to make the overall assembly more rigid if that makes sense? would rather not use other diameter rods at this stage.

Oilspill
31st August 2010, 03:06 AM
that might be possible, would have to set one up to get a better idea, but would most likely involve another platform at the base to make the overall assembly more rigid if that makes sense? would rather not use other diameter rods at this stage.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

Would anyone else be into this? Or is it just me?

gamblor916
31st August 2010, 06:48 AM
I'm interested in the 100x200mm ones with varying heights, say 30, 40, 50mm.

Deceptic_Optic
31st August 2010, 07:12 AM
I'm interested in the 100x200mm ones with varying heights, say 30, 40, 50mm.

count me in this one :D