PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Generations Cybertronian Megatron

griffin
28th August 2010, 09:57 PM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Cybertronian Megatron

Series - Generations
Sub-line - (War For Cybertron)
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 2
Released here - Sept 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $25-30
Approximate Size - 15cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Cybertronian Tank, Hover Tank
Main Features/Gimmicks - Launching missile, War For Cybertron character
Main Colours - Grey, black, maroon.
Main Accessories - Missile, cannon/launcher

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen05.jpg

griffin
4th September 2010, 06:47 PM
(haven't got it yet - just played with Justowen's)

I like the fact that there is another toy of one of the game characters I've played with for hours... but feel that this one is not as good as the other WFC toys. It's easier to transform than the first two (Op, Bbee), which I prefer, but the alt mode doesn't interest me much (despite replicating its form on the game).
Still recommended, as part of the WFC set.

5FDP
4th September 2010, 08:04 PM
I have him and I absolutely love this toy. He looks evil and menacing just as Megatron should look.

While I was sceptical at first when I heard that this series was going to be deluxe size only, I am more than satisfied with the amount of detail this toy has.

I agree that he's not the strongest of the WFC toys, but it's a moot point considering they have all been fantastic and warrant a place in everyone’s collection.

Advice - buy him on sight :)

SharkyMcShark
4th September 2010, 08:23 PM
I want this but have yet to see it.

I feel that I should point out that as a space cannon with massive kneepads and high shoulders this would make a cracking Galvatron with a new head (and possibly cannon barrel?)

jaydisc
6th September 2010, 11:17 AM
Yet another shit alt mode for Megatron, although not as bad as Movie or Animated (Cybertron modes). Robot mode is pretty cool, but the light gray seems KOish.

griffin
6th September 2010, 01:48 PM
As noticed at the Brisbane meet yesterday, Megatron sorta has 3 modes. The hover tank in the first posting, and a tank mode (created by flipping out from underneath, the black tank treads, in that photo).

5FDP
6th September 2010, 07:20 PM
As noticed at the Brisbane meet yesterday, Megatron sorta has 3 modes. The hover tank in the first posting, and a tank mode (created by flipping out from underneath, the black tank treads, in that photo).

What's the third mode :D

SkyWarp91
6th September 2010, 07:36 PM

A gerwalk?

Btw 5FDP - MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

liegeprime
7th September 2010, 08:26 AM
Does the gun barrel detach?

5FDP
7th September 2010, 08:27 AM
Btw 5FDP - MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

I noticed that you keep changing your avatar :p

jaydisc
7th September 2010, 09:48 AM

It's barely a third mode. You flip out treads on the side for ground mode. Flip 'em under for flight mode.

Yes. It's detached and reattached in both directions of transformation.

Sleeve
7th September 2010, 09:57 AM
Fantastic robot mode, really emphasises the menace Megs exudes. Alt mode is a little left to be desired, I do prefer it with the treads down for a more 'traditional' tank mode. Would be happy to replace my Classics voyager Megs placement on the display shelf with this one.

The only problem I have is a manufacturing issue. The left shoulder of mine doesn't slot in all the way when converting to alt mode. Apart from that, love him.

SharkyMcShark
8th September 2010, 01:41 PM
Looks nice, sculpting is impressive.

The treads aren't nearly as token as I thought theyd be, they're a lovely touch.

JuzMel
8th September 2010, 02:26 PM
Robot mode is pretty cool, but the light gray seems KOish.

Only the gray? I reckon the whole thing looks KO-ish! But I plan to collect most of the main generations line and he is Megs, so will get him anyway. Wonder if the colour is really that "glossy" like in real life?

Tallestblue
8th September 2010, 06:13 PM
I really think this is the best War For Cybertron toy yet, nice and solid, and a simple transformation that won't be confusing me when I pick him up tomorrow and transform him. I love all the sculpted detail, especially the 'Con symbol on Megatron's back, It almost looks like the Fallen (The Movie Version) is hitching a ride. HAs anyone noticed that the Cannon has two gun barrels? The first missile firing one, but the other side is a double barrel laser of some kind. It's very neat.

Doubledealer
8th September 2010, 08:27 PM
Can someone please post a pic of the 'tank with treads mode'? My classics shelf doesn't have a Megatron just yet & how this mode looks will determine whether that changes anytime soon. :p

Tabias Prime
12th September 2010, 09:48 PM
I pick Megs up yesterday, even thought I tend to me a Autobot collector more than anything, I do like him so much I decide to buy him mainly because Darkmount would be so lonely without a fellow decepticon...I wasn't disappointed with him unlike with Optimus Prime who every-time I want to transform i get half way through and then want to throw it at the nearest wall. I'm sure you know what I mean...:mad::p:mad::p

Stompy
12th September 2010, 10:59 PM
Exceptionally good looking in robot mode. Unfortunately with 90% of Megatron figures, the alt mode is disappointing. While not bad, its just a bit boring. Conversion is simple and uninteresting. Especially the way the treads just float on a ball joint underneath or on the side. Keep this one in bot mode.

DoubleD, here's a pic with the treads. Note the hands visible just inside the treads:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/WfCMegatronTankMode.jpg

Doubledealer
13th September 2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the pic mate. :) The treads help a bit but I still think it looks like monochrome squashed Wall-E. I think they would have been better off giving Megatron a flying alt mode ala Animated, and a helicopter would have made a nice change of place from playing as a seeker. Ah well. :P

SharkyMcShark
13th September 2010, 01:24 PM
To be honest it looks like the Star Fox tank (Landmaster), especially from side profile.

Except with a really big cannon on it.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th September 2010, 02:14 AM

Left and right arm mountable as well.

Blad vehcile mode, slightly limited movement in robot mode, but robot mode just looks frikkin coooool! Don't regret buyinh one bit!

kaiden
16th September 2010, 01:26 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs687.snc4/62701_126666120717492_100001223132070_173213_73544 25_n.jpg

Seige mode.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs347.ash2/62701_126666117384159_100001223132070_173212_88911 4_n.jpg

Gerwalk mode?

GoktimusPrime
16th September 2010, 04:35 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs347.ash2/62701_126666117384159_100001223132070_173212_88911 4_n.jpg

Gerwalk mode?
Boom-chicka-waa-wow! ;) :p
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/Quagmire.gif

Nightscreech
16th September 2010, 10:11 PM
Love this mold, but I could say that about all the WGC figure. Awesome megatron cannot recommend highly enough.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th September 2010, 12:16 AM
Ha haaaa! Here is a good spot for these pics...

I got bored with his blandness and went over him with my Gundam marker and the results came out pretty good. this was my first time using this pen too. I didn't want to got too overboard with it. I attempted the back, but there is too much there and I think it would lose the effect.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_2077.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_2079.jpg

I like this figure more and more every day. The power of the bot mode rawks!1

kaiden
18th September 2010, 01:20 AM
I got bored with his blandness and went over him with my Gundam marker and the results came out pretty good. this was my first time using this pen too. I didn't want to got too overboard with it. I attempted the back, but there is too much there and I think it would lose the effect.

oh thats an interesting idea, but your inking seems a bit feint.

I personally want to improve my Megatron by adding 2 more of his arm cannons as he is conveniently able to attach it to his left arm too. but i guess 1 more on the back is a bit overkill.

the problem is what to do with the left over megatrons....

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th September 2010, 04:18 AM
It is the first time I used the markers ever, and the lines to getthe pen in are a bit thin. I am not too sure I would want to go much darker anyway as I didn't want the lines to become the focus point. Maybe I will darken them up, I can always grab another body if its too much, but for now it ok.

Soundwarp
18th September 2010, 07:11 AM
Looking forward to this one, my only concern is his little lady hips.

kurdt_the_goat
25th September 2010, 08:13 PM
Got this guy today... went in knowing i wouldn't like the Alt mode (breaking one of my purchasing rules while i was at it) ... but tbh i don't mind it, at least in hover mode. The treads don't lock in as a tank, and look flimsy and stupid. At least he holds together better than Animated Blitzwing which he kinda reminds me of. I think it can pass as a legitimate Megatron alt-mode considering the history of tanks/gun emplacements, moreso than Animated Megatron's flying blob.

Robot mode is where it's at though! He's just really nicely designed aesthetically.. great colours (i actually like the plain white/grey, creates a nice contrast), good proportions, very menacing. Not perfect as a toy though - his chest is loose and his cannon likes to pop off a bit easily. I don't understand how people who design transformers all day (some excellent ones at that) can overlook non-locking in chestplates and barely clipping on guns! His backplate afterall clips in very solidly!

Overall recommended!

kup
25th September 2010, 10:37 PM
I am clearly in the minority here but I am impressed by the plastic quality and paint apps on this toy. The white is solid with a nice mat finish - We could have easily have ended up with a crappy thin (almost translucent) 'Alternator' white or a Hasbro swirly cheapo grey but instead we have a solid color. The red metallic paint also looks really nice.

When I stand WFC Prime next to Megatron, Prime is the one that looks KOish. I have grown to gradually dislike WFC Prime's paint finish so I may end up getting the superior Japanese release and flog the Hasbro one.

I wouldn't call the hover tank mode a 'third mode'. It's the tank mode in hover function just like in the game - The tracks are for speed function, kind of like changing gears on a car.

Paulbot
26th September 2010, 12:18 AM
I'm seriously unimpressed with this toy. Anyone in Melb wanna buy mine for a cheaper than in store price? Maybe because I haven't played WFC yet I don't get the appeal of the robot mode, but the transformation is practically Legends class in complexity and the lack of substance to the vehicle mode is hidden by the big gun (the Fusion Cannon is the only thing I like about the toy.) I'll transform it back to robot mode tomorrow and see how I feel but I think this goes in my sale pile.

kaiden
26th September 2010, 05:04 AM
I'm seriously unimpressed with this toy. Anyone in Melb wanna buy mine for a cheaper than in store price? Maybe because I haven't played WFC yet I don't get the appeal of the robot mode, but the transformation is practically Legends class in complexity and the lack of substance to the vehicle mode is hidden by the big gun (the Fusion Cannon is the only thing I like about the toy.) I'll transform it back to robot mode tomorrow and see how I feel but I think this goes in my sale pile.

I only want the fusion cannon

1AZRAEL1
26th September 2010, 09:32 AM
I am clearly in the minority here but I am impressed by the plastic quality and paint apps on this toy.

I must be as well. I love this figure alot, and agree in regards to Prime. Prime pails in comparison to Megatron. Megatron is just a great figure in general, though I prefer his robot mode. Quite easy to transform between the 2 as well, unlike Prime who I had trouble with the first time I transformed him.

GoktimusPrime
26th September 2010, 09:41 AM
This toy was surprisingly better than I expected.

MV75
26th September 2010, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't call the hover tank mode a 'third mode'. It's the tank mode in hover function just like in the game - The tracks are for speed function, kind of like changing gears on a car.

I'd say more like when fred flintstone puts his feet down and runs to make it go faster.

kup
26th September 2010, 10:41 AM
I must be as well. I love this figure alot, and agree in regards to Prime. Prime pails in comparison to Megatron. Megatron is just a great figure in general, though I prefer his robot mode. Quite easy to transform between the 2 as well, unlike Prime who I had trouble with the first time I transformed him.

I am happy with WFC Prime's design just not his paint finish.

I'd say more like when fred flintstone puts his feet down and runs to make it go faster.

That works :)

griffin
26th September 2010, 11:42 AM
I am clearly in the minority here...

What minority... 60% recommend the toy, and only 20% don't want it or can't recommend it. And the rest are still willing to buy it if on sale.

My vote doesn't count though, as I pretty much buy everything, so can sometimes be a little biased to make myself feel better... :p

kup
26th September 2010, 12:19 PM
What minority... 60% recommend the toy, and only 20% don't want it or can't recommend it. And the rest are still willing to buy it if on sale.

My vote doesn't count though, as I pretty much buy everything, so can sometimes be a little biased to make myself feel better... :p

Sometimes I buy things that I don't particularly like for different reasons. So what's your final verdict?

griffin
26th September 2010, 01:15 PM
I voted yes because it was a form I am really familiar with in an official medium, so have to have a toy for it - and it was simplistic enough to be fun to play with. We've already had a couple brain-teasers (Optimus and Bumblebee), so the line needs more fun toys for the kids to buy up and make Generations more successful than the Autobot-Alliance/Movie line... which probably won't matter, because Hasbro keeps pushing the Bay-styled robot toys for the movie line, instead of the nicer looking and 'funner' CHUGU toys.

kup
26th September 2010, 09:37 PM
CHUGU!

Lord_Zed
26th September 2010, 11:59 PM
He's not bad in my opinion, I'm reminded of when I bought ROTF crab Megs, the alt mode is crummy but accurate to the source, while the robot has a nice action figure quality to it. I like the robot design, and the Mat grey colour is surprisingly pleasing compared to grey translucent plastic.

Biggest gripe in my opinion is the limited articulation for such a simple toy, Prime is still my favourite WFC toy, though I probably like Megs as much as Bumblebee.

SkyWarp91
27th September 2010, 09:06 PM
I have mixed feelings for this toy. On the positive it's a mean-looking toy like Megatron ought to be in both vehicle and robot mode, has decent articulation and a good paint job.

On the negative it's one of those toys that doesn't really seem to bear as much significance and impact as other Megatron incarnations. It's a nice toy, but so what? There's so many other Megatron toys that have much more of a intimidating feel to them like G1 Megatron, ROTF Megatron and even Animated LEader Megatron.

kaiden
27th September 2010, 09:31 PM
On the negative it's one of those toys that doesn't really seem to bear as much significance and impact as other Megatron incarnations. It's a nice toy, but so what? There's so many other Megatron toys that have much more of a intimidating feel to them like G1 Megatron, ROTF Megatron and even Animated LEader Megatron.

It primarily appeals to people who played the game i think. otherwise its a hard sell to kids of which would have been more exposed to the CG intense bay movies and the immediate appeal of Animated.

as for wfc, i didnt feel it was kid friendly, especially so in multiplayer.

when cybertronian optimus came out I disappointed with the size and design. It should have been leader or at least voyager size which would probably have avoided the design failings of the deluxe version.

cybertronian megatron is a nice compliment to optimus in the end.

griffin
28th September 2010, 12:00 AM
It primarily appeals to people who played the game i think.

I'm in that category... the game, like any other official 'animated'/drawn medium, made me want it, for the familiarity of it.

kurdt_the_goat
28th September 2010, 12:28 AM
In update to my first impressions, i now realise the gun in robot mode does indeed mount pretty firmly, not sure what i was doing the first time!

I do find it kind of lazy that they didn't put a waist swivel on him since there's no reason why he couldn't have had one. WFC Optimus Prime definitely had more attention lavished over him.

1AZRAEL1
28th September 2010, 08:53 AM
It primarily appeals to people who played the game i think.

I'm in that category... the game, like any other official 'animated'/drawn medium, made me want it, for the familiarity of it.

I'm in that category as well. Fun game, so I want the figure.

I do find it kind of lazy that they didn't put a waist swivel on him since there's no reason why he couldn't have had one. WFC Optimus Prime definitely had more attention lavished over him.

You know, I had the same problem with him. Could have been easily done as well, as his waist was big enough. Half tempted to make mine do it anyway by modifying him.

GoktimusPrime
28th September 2010, 09:16 AM
Optimus Primes are often overlavished compared to Megatrons - typically because the "hero" toy sells better than the "villain". Look at movie Optimus Primes compared to Megatrons; the OPs are way better made than the Megatrons IMO. (although I think Animated Megatron is much better than Animated OP).

Could be worse... we could have an entire series that was almost entirely dominated by Autobots and devoid of Decepticons. *cough*Zone*cough*Battlestars*cough*

SamLoi888
28th September 2010, 11:01 AM
This is one good-looking bot!

Grievous
30th September 2010, 08:44 PM
I picked up Megatron today...and he's awesome...
So much better than WFC Optimus and Bumblebee...

I'm not really into the vehicle mode...but the bot mode...
It just looks so evil and powerful...100% win!

Bonus points for the large flat feet!
:D

5FDP
30th September 2010, 11:00 PM
Bonus points for the large flat feet!
:D

Agreed. You can make him stand in some awesome poses :cool:

Doubledealer
10th October 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this one. The scultped detailing is mechsquisite - I especially love the more intricately designed Decepticon insignia that shows up on his back, very robot-Yakuza. :D

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2010, 03:13 PM
Optimus Prime has the same back-tatt too. They also have it in the game. :)

Oilspill
27th October 2010, 03:32 AM
I really like this figure, even the tank mode I really like. It would have been even better if the treads locked in, or had a waist swivel, but otherwise great. The moulded detail is excellent too.

Also, Megatron is the one character where I actually like him having a spring loaded missile - mostly because his fusion cannon is big enough to accommodate one without looking foolish.

Oilspill
27th October 2010, 03:37 AM
The only problem I have is a manufacturing issue. The left shoulder of mine doesn't slot in all the way when converting to alt mode. Apart from that, love him.

I had the same issue, but I have a fix for this. Lemme find where I posted it...

Ahh, here (http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/wfc-megatron-transformation-problem-t70471.php) we go:

...I thought it might be a bit of platic from the tree that hadn't been cut of properly, or a clearance issue, but I couldn't find anything. I tried forcing it but it wouldn't budge and I felt that I might be stressing some plastic somewhere. I thought, "Maybe they misassembled something?", so I took the arm apart, turned it around and tada! Perfect.

So if anyone else has this issue, just unscrew the two screws in the middle of the back of his shoulder. Loosen the top shoulder screw (don't need to fully remove it). Then take off his arm, rotate the black shoulder joint bit 180 degrees, and put the arm back on.

LordCyrusOmega
27th October 2010, 09:45 PM
The more i look at him the more i think i should get him for my animated shelf has he looks more accurate (better) then the actual cybertron mode Megatron from animated. Any ideas?

Sleeve
2nd November 2010, 10:33 AM
So if anyone else has this issue, just unscrew the two screws in the middle of the back of his shoulder. Loosen the top shoulder screw (don't need to fully remove it). Then take off his arm, rotate the black shoulder joint bit 180 degrees, and put the arm back on.

Beautiful! :D Just did it then, and took all of two mintues, and his shoulder slides in perfectly now.. Cheers for the tip, Oilspill.