PDA

View Full Version : Any tips and ideas to prevent c/c fraud???

primatives
29th August 2010, 05:40 PM
Hey guys as the title says what do you guys do to prevent c/c fraud??? Reason I ask is recently BOTH me and my gf's c/c details were somhow used by someone for xbox live. I don't know how they obtained it.

I only use my c/c to pay for things instore and try not to ues them at atms and if i do i try to use them at the big branches where i think skimming machines are unlikely to be put there.

i do use virus programs but mine has expired recently and i have just installed Spybot - Search & Destroy. any other programs u guys use and reccomend???

I dont know if there is any spyware on my computer as i have not bought anything on my c/c over the net recently although i did use it at my TAFE. I think its safer at TAFE as they have a big network and less chance of hackers getting in compared to home. any ideas i'd like to hear from that would be great :)

Gutsman Heavy
29th August 2010, 05:55 PM
My dad has had his card ripped off several times. If you get statements in the post be sure to shred them before you bin them, that's how his card was ripped off once.

GoktimusPrime
29th August 2010, 09:01 PM
Don't have a credit card. :)

Although this year I received a letter from my financial institution informing me that some of the digits of my debit card had been compromised and so they replaced my card. :/ Though it's probably unnecessary, I tear up receipts that I don't want to keep before binning them. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid I deposit each piece in different rubbish bins!

Lint
29th August 2010, 09:57 PM
Hey guys as the title says what do you guys do to prevent c/c fraud??? Reason I ask is recently BOTH me and my gf's c/c details were somhow used by someone for xbox live. I don't know how they obtained it.

There was a big thing a few yrs back where heaps of ppl were getting their xbox live accounts hacked and c/c info stolen to rack up points. Could there be a resurgence in this crime since it has happened to you and your gf?

Otherwise the normal security measures of only using your cc at places you trust and burning all your statements should be enough. Also if you're using your card online, never type in any numbers or passwords straight up. Mix it up a bit so any keylogger viruses cannot copy your information.

Autocon
29th August 2010, 11:46 PM
There was a big thing a few yrs back where heaps of ppl were getting their xbox live accounts hacked and c/c info stolen to rack up points. Could there be a resurgence in this crime since it has happened to you and your gf?

Otherwise the normal security measures of only using your cc at places you trust and burning all your statements should be enough. Also if you're using your card online, never type in any numbers or passwords straight up. Mix it up a bit so any keylogger viruses cannot copy your information.

if u saved it in word doc then copy paste would that deter keyloggers?

Lint
29th August 2010, 11:58 PM
if u saved it in word doc then copy paste would that deter keyloggers?

Yes... but if your computer was compromised someone could read the word doc.

What I usually do is just type it in in a scrambled order.

For example if my password was auto123

I would type in 123 then click in front of the 1 and type auto

Another way to confuddle keyloggers is to delete part of what you've typed.

Same example, I type instead autobot123 then highlight and delete bot leaving the real password behind.

dirge
30th August 2010, 12:56 AM
It can happen that attendants at certain retail outlets make copies or take photos of cards - obtaining then either using or selling the details.

Service stations are known for this (but it's not limited to them), so it's possible that one near your place has ripped off your cards/

5FDP
30th August 2010, 08:50 AM
I've noticed quite a few ATM's have recently installed 'shields' above the keypad which is a good measure if the camera has been compromised. It's obviously a big enough problem that the banks are now doing this.

kup
30th August 2010, 12:33 PM
I only use my Credit card for online purchases and the limit is very low (less than $900). I never use it for retail purchases or ATM withdrawals. So far I had no fraud issues directly relating to the CC.

I also do online Banking so I can check statements at any time I want and can notice discrepancies quickly.

Despite what some people think, online banking actually helps you pick up on CC or Account frauds very quickly. If you are clever you can 'fortify' yourself against fraud as you have the freedom to keep the bulk of your money in a secure account and only transfer what you need to the Mainstream account.

Eg:

My set up:

Mainstream account: I can access by ATMs, EFTPOS, Etc. - I keep the absolute minimum there, only what I need for the day. If any transfer attempts are made to external accounts, I immediately get contacted by SMS requesting confirmation.

Net Saver Account: Only accessible by online banking or Bank branch. Can only transfer to the Mainstream Account. This is where I keep all my savings as there is no external access to it whatsoever. I simply transfer funds as needed from it to my Mainstream account.

CC account: Can be accessed by ATMs, EFTPOS, etc but because I never use it as such, the risk is minimal or non existent- The limit is also too small.

Benefits:

Due to the SMS security, even if someone 'hacks' into my NetBank account, they can't transfer externally as the moment they do so , I get an SMS telling me of the attempt before it happens.

If someone skims my Card, they would only be able to steal $40-$100 at the most since that is all I keep in the Mainstream at any given time.

The bulk of my savings is within an secure account that can only transfer to my Mainstream account. Any attempt at an external transfer sends an SMS warning.

The reason that I went to this set up which is actually very handy (I don't ever need to visit a Branch and can make transfers in seconds) is because when I had the 'traditional'' account set up, I got skimmed and the robbed me of $1000. I didn't pick up on it until the next bank statement was sent to me by mail weeks later. Now I know what is happening to my accounts 'live'.

DarkHyren
30th August 2010, 11:36 PM
although i did use it at my TAFE
I think this here is your problem.
While the TAFE network may be ok from outside attacks (though even this is not a certainty), it just takes one person to place an infected usb stick into one of the networked machines to set off a chain reaction.
I know as this happened at my TAFE, someone brought in a particularly nasty virus on their stick and it spread throughout the whole TAFE campus library network.
And that's if it's done by accident, if someone really wanted they could put something alot worse onto one of those networked machines on purpose.

So one of my rules for using a CC online- make sure you know exactly what is on the machine you are using.
In most cases this will mean you just use your home PC or a trusted friends machine, never ever use your CC on a machine that strangers have access to though.