PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean up your room?

sanbot
31st August 2010, 10:07 AM
My room has turned into a home for dust. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and show em who's boss!

My game plan is to first remove all the stuff I want to clean from my room. Wipe the things remaining in my room with a wet cloth (e.g. furniture and built-in). Wipe the things outside my room with a wet cloth. Sort through all the junk I want to throw away. Vacuum my room and then chuck all my crap back into my room. I will then try to strategically place things so that its easier to clean next time. My TF's are cared for by simply wiping them individually with a wet cloth, but man it gets annoying coz of the little crevices that build up dust in them.

This game plan was initiated on saturday and I still havn't finished and it looks like each morning I wake up more dust appears! So much for showing em who's boss! :mad:

So how do other people clean up their room and how frequently? How do you prevent dust from accumulating so quickly? Anyone care to pass on there pearly wisdom? Critique my method? Anyone out there with mad allergies that they felt compelled to do something more severe?!

5FDP
31st August 2010, 10:20 AM
Making sure my collection room is clean is important to me as well since I suffer from asthma (yeah... and I smoke :o). From one collector to another, having a display cabinet is invaluable. It keeps everything organised, well displayed, and relatively dust free.

Some cabinets are quite expensive but the investment is worth it in the long run. And dare I say it, if there ever comes a day when you stop collecting Transformers, the cabinets can be reused for something else.

I have a few items on display outside the cabinets, but these are mostly MISB / MOSC items that are protected in their plastic prisons anyway :p If I can be bothered, I sometimes wrap them in clear wrapping paper to avoid dust getting inside the box flaps etc. I know this is a bit extreme, but considering the money most of us fork out for our addiction, I don't mind taking the extra step.

Lastly, if you have a spare room that you can use for storing / displaying your collection, that also helps because there would only be one reason to go in there stirring up all the dust. If it's in a room that is heavily used, it becomes more difficult to keep that room clean.

griffin
31st August 2010, 11:55 AM
Have a room without carpet, and no open doors/windows to the outside (a low traffic area of the house). Have no pets, and few humans... as those are the four main sources of dust (carpet, dirt, pets, humans).

GoktimusPrime
31st August 2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, having a dedicated room is the best thing as it reduces the amount of traffic (and thus dust). Even when my cat was alive she was _never_ allowed anywhere near my Transformers room -- I drummed that into her when she was a kitten so when she got older she wouldn't even dream of going anywhere near it.

Unfortunately my TF room is carpetted - but the room is vacuumed at least once a week.

5FDP
31st August 2010, 01:45 PM
Even when my cat was alive she was _never_ allowed anywhere near my Transformers room -- I drummed that into her when she was a kitten so when she got older she wouldn't even dream of going anywhere near it.

I didn't know that you could actually train a cat :confused: Just goes to show how much I know about them... :)

sanbot
31st August 2010, 02:06 PM
5fdp, I would not fault you at all for being extreme with protecting your TF's from dust. Having allergies I know all too well how much dust can effect you, its sometimes just as bad as having a cold with all the coughing and blocked noses.

I've been thinking about a display cabinet. But that would then mean taking up more space =( Where would be a good starting point to look at different glass cabinets? I'd imagine I won't need that big of a cabinet given my small collection.

I'm definately gonna consider the carpet removal option, now if only I could convince my folks....:cool:

5FDP
31st August 2010, 02:26 PM
I've been thinking about a display cabinet. But that would then mean taking up more space =( Where would be a good starting point to look at different glass cabinets? I'd imagine I won't need that big of a cabinet given my small collection.

Speaking from experience, they actually take up less space because all your toys would be stacked on top of each other.

Before I had my cabinets, they were all spread across the room.

Some people swear by IKEA cabinets, so they might be worth a look. I bought mine from a furniture pine store which cost a bit more - approx. $700 each.

Deonasis
31st August 2010, 07:17 PM
I imagine the right static duster would be better that a wet cloth. On my old dusty models the damp cloth seemed to pool the dust into the deepest details.

SkyWarp91
1st September 2010, 01:27 AM
Well I live in a 2.4m by 4m room which is SMALL as, especially since I own about 80+ Transformers and about 95% of them are complete in their packages. Dust builds up very quickly in my room, everyday I see small dustballs on the ground :S, and there's no room for cabinets or whatsoever.

If worse comes to worst, I think I'm going to have to move out of my room into the shed, but before I move to the shed I have to make any gaps to the outdoors sealed!

liegeprime
1st September 2010, 09:30 AM
Carpet - vacuum, bought me an expensive one so I might as well use it ( it shampoos as well but I havent learned that yet:p)

Fiugres wise, I try to play with a figure at a time, like 1 a day - handling them cleans them in a way, but I have to say I am losing on that end heheheh:(
Shelves, wet-ones and just plain wipes. A bit of vacuuming too once I removed the figures, but this I do like once every 2-3 months as its to troublesome;)

MOst of the time its just vacuuming the carpet.

If anything keep the lighting in the collection room dim to hide the dust from sight hehahahahah.:D:D

5FDP
1st September 2010, 10:25 AM
Fiugres wise, I try to play with a figure at a time, like 1 a day

Question for you - what is your definition of 'playing'? Do you stage huge battle scenes or do you just transform them a couple of times and put them back? I know that there are some members here that take the meaning of the word literally and will act out whole scenarios complete with sound effects. Just curious is all...

Deceptic_Optic
1st September 2010, 10:49 AM
i have these microfibre clothes that collect dust and is specifially made for cleaning dust so i dont really need to damp it and got some air cans (kinda expensive if you buy it ) but i get it from work for free so that does the trick having timber floors and automatic shutters keeps sunlight off and dust free environment and last but not the least cleaning my room every second day :D

1AZRAEL1
1st September 2010, 12:04 PM
I must be the complete opposite. I have not cleaned them since I put most of them up about a year ago :p

liegeprime
1st September 2010, 12:32 PM
Question for you - what is your definition of 'playing'? Do you stage huge battle scenes or do you just transform them a couple of times and put them back? I know that there are some members here that take the meaning of the word literally and will act out whole scenarios complete with sound effects. Just curious is all...

A bit of both. I somehow have an ongoing storyline in my head with scenes I play with a few figures or a figure at a time, which doesnt necessarily stay in the TF room hehehe, like Starscream flying over sea and land ( which translates to my bedroom and the sala hehehe)... or elsewhere ( which translate while Im in the kitchen. although at the end of it I put them back in their places or at least in the Collection room coz i don't want to misplace the toy. I also do the voices :p:D bit but not often, my vocal cords ain't as great as they used to be - ( Lies!!, lies!! Insubstantiated fantasies! ...ooops wrong one)

liegeprime
1st September 2010, 12:35 PM
I must be the complete opposite. I have not cleaned them since I put most of them up about a year ago :p

Im so tempted to find a feather duster icon... for post reply when we see dust on a pics mwahahahahah!!:p:p:D

GoktimusPrime
1st September 2010, 04:56 PM
liegeprime does voices in public places at fan meets!

Although he has this one generic voice which he uses for Starscream, Cobra Commander, Gollum... probably Terrorsaur or anyone else with a screechy voice. But don't ever tell him that. :p ;) The beauty of doing the voices is that they all sound accurate in your head though! :D well, except for doing female voices - the illusion on doing that wore off after my voice broke... although the funny thing was before my voice broke I still thought my male voices for characters like Optimus Prime sounded quite deep whereas in reality it was probably quite high pitched. Heh. I just speak really softly when doing voices for females (e.g. Arcee, Mikaela etc.) -- but I just come across sounding like a drag queen instead.

sanbot
2nd September 2010, 11:20 AM
i have these microfibre clothes that collect dust and is specifially made for cleaning dust so i dont really need to damp it and got some air cans (kinda expensive if you buy it ) but i get it from work for free so that does the trick having timber floors and automatic shutters keeps sunlight off and dust free environment and last but not the least cleaning my room every second day :D

Air cans? whats that? The microfibre clothes sounds handy might give that a go.

I'm still cleaning 5 days after starting grrr :mad:

1AZRAEL1
2nd September 2010, 11:33 AM
Air cans? whats that?

You can buy cans of compressed air. They can be quite expensive. I too get mine from work. Bunnings would stock them. The one we get are called Fellowes Duster.

And you know, I never thought to use them :p

sanbot
2nd September 2010, 11:50 AM
You can buy cans of compressed air. They can be quite expensive. I too get mine from work. Bunnings would stock them. The one we get are called Fellowes Duster.

And you know, I never thought to use them :p

What exactly do they do? :confused:

liegeprime
2nd September 2010, 11:53 AM
What exactly do they do? :confused:

it basically blows the dust off your figures, think an aerosol insecticide can - instead of the liquid when you press the button its just forceful air thereby blowing off the dust from your figures, especially useful for crevices and detailed unreacheable parts of a figure your cleaning , but darn expensive ;):p

@Gok, yeah my screechy voices has merged into one generic screechy voice now that Ive aged, it used to be high pitched for Screamer and low pitch for CC now its all just Gollum having an asthma attack :p