PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Band Thread

1AZRAEL1
24th September 2010, 05:29 PM
With the thought from UltraMarginal, I thought I would create this thread.

Post your favourite band of all time, or of the moment, any style, and explainm why it is so.

I'll start off.

Well if anyone who knows me, or recognizes my avatar, my all-time favourite is in fact Immortal. Black metal from the frosty lands of Oslo, Norway.

Got into metal in high school, while some of my friends went the way of more traditional heavy metal, I went to the extreme of Black metal and Death Metal. Immortal was one of the first bands I got into, and is a major inspiration for my singing (if you can call it that :p) career. I still do it for fun when I have time. No band currently though.

Now my current favourite would have to be a band called Drudkh. Melding traditional Ukranian folk music with black metal is just amazing.

I have too many favourite bands anyway, because I have such a varied musical taste so I will just list some off.

Therion, Tyr, Behemoth, Rob/White Zombie, The Kovenant, Dungeon, Darker Half, Atomizer, Alestorm, Turisas, Alkonostt, Primus, Slayer, Steel Panther, ACDC, Children Of Bodom, Lordi... (I can't be bothered to list them all :p)

Hursticon
24th September 2010, 06:59 PM
As 1AZRAEL1 says, I was one of the couple of mates who followed a slightly more traditional Metal route. :rolleyes::p

For me, my favourite Band/s of all time are Rammstein & Ozzy Osbourne. :cool:

Now, funnily enough, I'd never actually known who or what Metal was, when I told 1AZRAEL1 that... I was then quite rightly punched in the head and was introduced to Metal through Rammstein by him and our German Teacher.

I don't know what it was, but that day in German Class when our Teacher, Mr. Spicer, said: "Here is an easy, modern German song I want you to learn, it's a Heavy Metal song I believe, I think it is?, anyway I want you to learn it: Rammstein's Engel" - It triggered something that would change my entire personality from that day forward and for the better. :D

It got even better when 1AZRAEL1 gave me a copy of the Album (Sehnsucht) to listen to and told me some names of bands that I might like, as did a couple of other mates, one act of whom being Ozzy.

I downloaded Ozzy's Crazy Train off Napster (that's how long ago it was, lol) and was instantly hooked! :D

I don't know what it is about Ozzy, but be it Sabbath (my close 3rd favourite) or solo Ozzy, I just can't get enough!

My tastes in Metal have stuck pretty much along the same lines for the past 12 years, listening to the same Old Guard that I did all those years ago. :eek:

Here are some you may know:

Fear Factory, Disturbed, Slipknot, Pantera, Coal Chamber, KoRn, Rob Zombie/White Zombie, Static-X, Machine Head, Mudvayne, Marilyn Manson and Drowning Pool to name a few. :p;)

MV75
24th September 2010, 07:03 PM
It's hard to pin down just one, but I think a notable mention would be run-dmc.

They melded rap/hiphop/rock together so well and uniqely that there has been noone else since to even come close to any sort of emulation or style.

It's funny though, I can't stand rap (postering fools), or hiphop (candy arsed bubblegum crap), I do like rock. But those guys put it together so well and when they collaberated with other artists such as aerosmith, it became legendary.

5FDP
24th September 2010, 07:22 PM
I can't pick just one. As per my sig / handle Five Finger Death Punch and Skinlab :D Also a big fan of Mudvayne and Nothingface (who unfortunately broke up many years ago :().

Oldschool78
24th September 2010, 07:59 PM
Cool thread. Every band that was mentioned are great choices.
As for me my favourite of all time is Motley Crue.
I got into music in 1989 and the album that was just released was Dr Feelgood and it didnt take long to know every word!
The music back then was great ae, Appetite for Destruction was still real popular, Pump was about to be released and the next year Metallica and ACDC released two of the most popular albums of all time!
Just a shame i wasnt a bit older i couldve seen Van Halen Rule the world.

Apart from the Crue my other favs
Pink Floyd, Guns n roses, Ozzy, Bon Jovi, ACDC, Poison and Kiss, which ive all seen live and Aerosmith and Van Halen which ive still got to see......... Van Halen is gonna be a mission!

Bartrim
24th September 2010, 09:00 PM
Like so many people it's hard to pin down one so I'll just list a few of my favourite bands/musicians

Bon Jovi, U2, Screaming Jets, INXS, Linkin Park, Talking Heads, T.I.S.M, Adam Ant, Mental as Anything, Michael Buble, Van Halen and Def Lepard will do for a start.

An honourable mention goes to a band that I've just discovered. Northern Kings. They do some real amazing covers of 70's and 80's songs in a sort of 90's euro-rock sort of way I guess would be the best way to describe them. My personal favourites of theirs are "Hello", "Don't Stop Believing" and "Sledgehammer"

loophole
24th September 2010, 09:27 PM
my top band is ACDC but others would include Rammstein, R.A.T.M., Regurgitator, White Sripes

Rammsteins "Shensucht" was the first album of theres that i had heard and loved them ever since with Buch Dich being one of my favourite songs

BigPenney
24th September 2010, 09:59 PM
Like most, I cant choose one favourite band but a few of mine are The Aquabats!, Daft Punk, Gorillaz and Primus.
I guess most of my taste in music comes from my nostalgia for the mid/late 90s and from spending so much of my child hood with my three older sisters (one hooked me on rock and the other two got me on dance/electro :o).

Demonac
24th September 2010, 10:14 PM
I have a short list of stuff I always go back to.
The Dictators, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Type-O-Negative, The Misfits, Led Zeppelin, Burzum, Bathory. I'm sure I missed a few.

Autocon
25th September 2010, 12:45 AM
lots n lots

linkin park - not so much their new stuff, disturbed, rammstien, ac/dc, inxs, micheal jackson, metallica, genesis/phil collins, john farnham, some korn, faithless, some limp bizkit, some gyroscope, few drowning pool, motley crew, megadeath, stereo mcs, 28 days, sure i missed stuff

then i like 1 - 4 songs from somewhere the knife- silent shout, ghetto musik - outkast, flo rida etc etc

top ones old linkin park, rammstein, disturbed, phil collins/genesis, acdc metallica

SkyWarp91
25th September 2010, 03:03 AM
Fav Band right now = IRON MAIDEN, UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fatbot
25th September 2010, 07:47 AM
Manowar.

Nice.

my real favourite is The Coop. The man who started shock rock. The man who autographed my tattoo of him & which I had permanently had etched into my skin.

He, of course, led down the path of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, With other favourites including Motorhead, Dio, Jorn, gunners, rob/white zombie.

1AZRAEL1
25th September 2010, 12:23 PM
I have a short list of stuff I always go back to.
The Dictators, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Type-O-Negative, The Misfits, Led Zeppelin, Burzum, Bathory. I'm sure I missed a few.

Ah, how did I forget Misfits and Type-o and Sabbath? Great stuff

T.I.S.M

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

my real favourite is The Coop. The man who started shock rock. The man who autographed my tattoo of him & which I had permanently had etched into my skin.

He, of course, led down the path of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, With other favourites including Motorhead, Dio, Jorn, gunners, rob/white zombie.

Coop, Motorhead, Dio, all greats as well. Man there are just too many bands I like to name them all.

UltraMarginal
7th October 2010, 12:16 AM
With the thought from UltraMarginal, I thought I would create this thread.

Post your favourite band of all time, or of the moment, any style, and explainm why it is so.

I'll start off.

Well if anyone who knows me, or recognizes my avatar, my all-time favourite is in fact Immortal. Black metal from the frosty lands of Oslo, Norway.

Got into metal in high school, while some of my friends went the way of more traditional heavy metal, I went to the extreme of Black metal and Death Metal. Immortal was one of the first bands I got into, and is a major inspiration for my singing (if you can call it that :p) career. I still do it for fun when I have time. No band currently though.

Now my current favourite would have to be a band called Drudkh. Melding traditional Ukranian folk music with black metal is just amazing.

I have too many favourite bands anyway, because I have such a varied musical taste so I will just list some off.

Therion, Tyr, Behemoth, Rob/White Zombie, The Kovenant, Dungeon, Darker Half, Atomizer, Alestorm, Turisas, Alkonostt, Primus, Slayer, Steel Panther, ACDC, Children Of Bodom, Lordi... (I can't be bothered to list them all :p)

Well thought 1AZRAEL1;)

My favorite band of the moment is without a doubt, The Bamboos, they are a Funk Band From Melbourne that started up a few years ago, lots of energy and they do a lot of collaboration on their albums, really looking forward to seeing them live, again.
other bands on frequent rotation are Jamiroqui, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, the Brand New Heavies, the Cat Empire. U2, Gorillaz, Thievery Corporation, ACDC, Kiss, Muse.
Scores to films, Transformers (of course) starwars, star trek, Lord of the rings, spiderman, generally anything scored by John Williams, Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, Michael Giacchino, it's great stuff to have on in the background while working.
There's a new group who I saw support The brand new heavies a few weeks ago, they are the Electric Empire, four guys, really exciting to watch, the drummer is a nutter, they were about to release their first album, I think they are worth keeping an eye on.

There seems to be a fair leaning towards heavy metal in the list, I wonder if there is a parallel between loving heavy metal and liking Giant
Freaking Robots? The score of the original show and animated movie had a lot of rock, even the newer movies soundtracks only have a bit of fairly heavy rock, apart from being inspired by a German Teacher and 1AZRAEL1(who is obviously passionate about sharing music :cool:), what other things have inspired peoples music tastes.

I know for me it was actually an early episode of transformers, Jazz played something to distract the Decepticons ( or something) and it was a really groovy piece of music, I'd never heard anything like it (my dad listened to both kinds of music:(), so I've since tried to learn about Jazz, which I really enjoy, this led me more towards Acid Jazz, Funk and through inspiration through playing drums at school and uni I picked up interest in orchestral scores, rock and various other genre's.

Sorry for blabbing, sometimes I get carried away.:o etc etc...

Bartrim
7th October 2010, 07:56 AM
Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Why do I get that alot?:confused::p

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2010, 11:14 AM
KISS Players (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kiss_Players_%28singing_group%29)*, Linkin Park (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Linkin_Park) and
and Cyber Nation Network (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Nation_Network) (sorry, unable to find English language web site about them, but here's a sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PkkDz5iRk))

-------------------------------------------
*speaking purely from a musical POV; this is not to say that I'm a fan of KISS Play fiction or anything. But I like their music. :)

Oldschool78
7th October 2010, 03:21 PM
What a Bunch of Bogans we are!

LordCyrusOmega
7th October 2010, 05:45 PM
I have eclectic taste when it comes to music but prefer metal before others.
Top bands at the moment are Disturbed, Rammstein and anything with Rob Zombie.

Otherwise i like old Korn, NIN, Cradle of Filth etc.

5FDP
10th October 2010, 12:52 AM
Linkin Park (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Linkin_Park)

*snip*

I wasn't really a fan of Linkin Park until I heard their new CD 'A Thousand Suns'. A lot of fans have voiced their disapproval on the direction the band has taken, but I really like it. Worth a listen if you haven't already :)

Bartrim
10th October 2010, 09:55 AM
My brother liking his dance music knowing that I liking my older rock was kind enough to show me this... Not bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DTm_bWEjs

5FDP
10th October 2010, 09:59 PM
My brother liking his dance music knowing that I liking my older rock was kind enough to show me this... Not bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DTm_bWEjs

Old rockers don't get older, they get better ;)

Pillow fighting at 1:42.... noice :D

Sam
11th October 2010, 09:16 PM
I enjoy listening to Lifehouse, a-ha, and some Asian pop singers (such as Wang Lee Hom and YUI).

Paul Agnew
16th October 2010, 07:37 PM
Always have been a fan of The Screaming Jets. Saw them live twice (along with Status Quo) this year and they were brilliant.

Jay-Tron
17th November 2010, 10:14 PM
There's a couple of favourites I have now after checking out different styles of music over the years. Some of them include Nirvana, Guns 'n' Roses, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, The Beatles, 2Pac and The Wu-Tang Clan.

I was a big G'n'R and Nirvana fan back in the 90's but the rest of them I only really got into in the 00's. I had barely even heard any Alice in Chains, 2Pac or Beatles until the 00's.

Bartrim
18th November 2010, 07:55 AM
Always have been a fan of The Screaming Jets. Saw them live twice (along with Status Quo) this year and they were brilliant.

I've seen the Jets live. They are awesome:D

UltraMarginal
18th November 2010, 09:58 AM

The Jets have done some great work.:cool:

Live bands are nearly always great value, I've seen U2, The Cat Empire, the Bamboos, Kiss, Ozomatli, Jamiroquai, James Morrison and The Brand New Heavies all live, and in the next month my wife and I are going to Muse and Bon Jovi and James Morrison (Again). Probably the least enjoyable were Kiss, Jamiroquai and U2, simply because they were in such big venues and I thought those shows were awesome.

I love a live show in a smaller venue like the Enmore or Metro(even though I'm not convinced their mixing is particularly good there), the packed space and energetic band make for killer gig.

I think as a band plays together longer and get to know each other better, their music keeps getting better.

Cheers

Bartrim
18th November 2010, 10:07 AM
, and in the next month my wife and I are going to Muse and Bon Jovi and James Morrison (Again).

I'm going to see Bon Jovi too. Last time I saw them was at Rumba in 2003. I can't wait.:D

UltraMarginal
19th November 2010, 11:32 AM
I'm going to see Bon Jovi too. Last time I saw them was at Rumba in 2003. I can't wait.:D

Neither of us have ever seen them live, we are "fairly pumped":D

Jay-Tron
24th November 2010, 11:03 PM
I've only seen two bands live so far - Guns 'n' Roses and Def Leppard. The Gunners were awesome, live they sound more heavy metal than rock.