PDA

View Full Version : Ebay #@$^&*&% - PayPal only from 16 June.

TheDirtyDigger
10th April 2008, 08:12 AM
Ok, apart from eBay screwing with the time so that because of daylight savings my auctions finished 2 hours early when people were still working or commuting home from work, they have just announced that you will only be able to pay by Paypal or COD so they can squeeze more money from sellers.

EBAY SOB's Steal More Money! (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=67909)

liegeprime
10th April 2008, 08:20 AM
Darn there goes one of my friends.... im not comfortable with paypal - you pay a bit more since the seller tends to charge the buyer for the paypal fees. :(:(

kup
10th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Paypal customer service is crap as all hell but I see it as a necessary evil since we live in a barren desert when it comes to cool stuff.

The_Damned
10th April 2008, 09:03 AM
that is the worst news ever guess i wont be using ebay to sell stuff anymore

1orion2many
10th April 2008, 09:09 AM
:confused:Actually I have bought more things since I have got Paypal, life is so much easier than getting a Western Union Money order ,then posting it by registered mail so you made sure your payment got there, then waiting for the item to be posted. It has both saved me time and money so if I pay a little extra on the item for fees I'm not worried as I'm saving a lot more not having to get the WU money order or the registered post to send. People you are better off, I started on ebay in 1997, it was painful to organise items, appreciate what you have been given to make your life easier:).

Pulse
10th April 2008, 09:28 AM
I thought 95%+ of Demonbay people dealt with Paypal already. :confused:

I've only used Western Union once (for G1 Shockwave - The Seller wanted to use it for a behind-the-scenes deal) & that worked out perfectly so either form of paying-receiving dollars doesn't really bother me.

TheDirtyDigger
10th April 2008, 10:05 AM
:confused:Actually I have bought more things since I have got Paypal, life is so much easier than getting a Western Union Money order ,then posting it by registered mail so you made sure your payment got there, then waiting for the item to be posted. It has both saved me time and money so if I pay a little extra on the item for fees I'm not worried as I'm saving a lot more not having to get the WU money order or the registered post to send. People you are better off, I started on ebay in 1997, it was painful to organise items, appreciate what you have been given to make your life easier:).

As a seller it makes things more expensive as now we can't accept direct deposits as payment we have to not only pay the percentage to Paypal in the first place but pay more to pretty much register every item sent as any buyer can put in a claim that it was lost in the mail and get the item and their money refunded.

griffin
10th April 2008, 10:24 AM
I can understand why they are doing it (with a large number of transaction disputes apparently relating to payments outside of paypal), but I wouldn't be too keen to use ebay if I can't get payment direct into my account. When you get money by paypal, you lose about 5%, then lose more when you transfer any money into your bank account from your paypal account (through fees and fudged exchange rates).
I do use paypal a lot for purchases (sorta need to for all the foreign purchases I make), but I prefer people use direct deposit when buying stuff from me.

i_amtrunks
10th April 2008, 10:31 AM
Well my usage of ebay will drop dramatically now. I prefer direct deposit when buying, its quicker for the cash transfer etc.

I hate having a symbol saying payment is pending on ebay for a week.

Burn
10th April 2008, 11:21 AM
It really is a bad move and will stop the casual seller (like myself) from selling on e-bay.

Personally i'll even be reluctant to buy things now as well. Before even if the seller had Paypal as an option I chose the direct deposit option instead to save them a few fees.

But if E-Bay is going to shove Paypal down our throats then it's time they REALLY start to conform with banking industry practices.

Gutsman Heavy
10th April 2008, 11:43 AM
well no more selling on eBay. Jerks.

dirge
10th April 2008, 12:07 PM
I can imagine a lot more "COD" via Direct Deposit...

Dumb move. Just because you're dominant doesn't mean people will flock to you by default. eBay's market position was built up partly through ease of use. As Burn alluded to, it's the more casual users who will just abandon eBay.

Personally, I normally purchase stuff from overseas anyway, and use PayPal for that. But I'll use eBay Australia even less, because the number of casual sellers will drop (and the scalpers/most dealers on eBay Australia are of no use to me).

jaydisc
10th April 2008, 12:09 PM
It sucks, but other than for greed purposes, it does prevent bucketloads of fraud. It's your standard two pronged sword. Of course, their monopoly doesn't really help the situation. Thus, discontinuing the use of eBay will ultimately be biting off your nose to spite your face.

griffin
10th April 2008, 12:56 PM
Just got the email from ebay, and includes something that prevents people who don't like paypal or have a credit card from using ebay to sell stuff.

From 21 May you must offer PayPal on all your listings as well as currently permitted payment methods.

From 17 June you will only be able to offer PayPal on your listings and pay on pick up (i.e.paid for when picking up the item).
Pay on pick up can only be offered in conjunction with PayPal. No other payment methods will be permitted.

It might save them time and money by eliminating disputes, but it will surely have an effect on their revenue. Then again, forcing everyone to use their paypal service, could generate ebay more money in the end (more than half of my local sales in the past have been paid by direct deposit).

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th April 2008, 01:34 PM
Mr MacGibbon acknowledged that some buyers would be upset by the change, but believed most would benefit from the increased level of security.

Taken from the linked article in the first post.
Its very buyer based now isn't it?

I only used paypal for overseas transactions and because of the percentage they charge on transactions for paypal only wanted payment via bank deposit. Now with Listing fees, Final Amount fees and now paypal fees its 3 sets of fees on top of transferring the money into a real account.

Any other Auction sites that we can change to and show Ebay that they suck.

Robzy
10th April 2008, 01:49 PM
This sucks! :mad: Once again, everyone gets screwed all because of a small proportion of fraudsters!

TheDirtyDigger
10th April 2008, 01:57 PM
Any other Auction sites that we can change to and show Ebay that they suck?

I second the question!:mad:

STL
10th April 2008, 02:01 PM
Thus, discontinuing the use of eBay will ultimately be biting off your nose to spite your face.

Very nicely put.

I'm mostly a buyer and a very rare seller. So it won't affect me a great deal. I can imagine it will deter me from even selling now since i'm so casual. I guess we'll just see less n less casual sellers which will be a pity since its often a bargain bin for me.

Rampage
10th April 2008, 02:09 PM
just charge a few bucks extra (5 for every 100 spent) for shipping to cover the costs

www.oztion.com.au is the only other auction site i know but they dont have anything usually tf wise

Burn
10th April 2008, 02:58 PM
just charge a few bucks extra (5 for every 100 spent) for shipping to cover the costs

Oh i'm sure the "handling fees" will be the next thing they go after.

SofaMan
11th April 2008, 11:32 PM
eBay Australia, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that every payment method other than PayPal will no longer be accepted after June 16 2008. You will be able to use cash, but only if the item is being picked up from the seller.

They claim this is to make payment more secure, and safer for both buyer and seller. Of course, the fact that eBay OWNS PayPal has nothing to do with it, along with the extra revenue they'll generate from being the only game in town.

Despite being happy to use eBay for a long time, I think this will pretty much end my relationship with them - I'm sure many of you will feel the same. And I suspect the ACCC may be less than pleased also.

PayPal the only option for trading on eBay (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23516566-5014108,00.html)
Discussion on eBay Forums (http://forums.ebay.com.au/thread.jspa?threadID=600085910&tstart=0&mod=1207920218949)
Petition against eBay Australia's payment changes (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/petition-sign.cgi?ebayau)

dirge
11th April 2008, 11:37 PM
I've merged Sofaman's new topic into the existing thread, renamed for clarity.

MV75
11th April 2008, 11:41 PM
Yep, if google started and advertised a competing auction site tomorrow, ebay would be dead in a week. There isn't a better time than right now for them to start one.
________
JEEP HURRICANE HISTORY (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Jeep_Hurricane)

Tropisetron
12th April 2008, 12:51 AM
So any other auction sites you guys suggest?

I'm sick of paying ebay all the fees and charges... time for a change..

griffin
12th April 2008, 03:12 AM
There have been other auction sites in the past, but each time they were bought out by ebay and shut down. If you find one, it probably won't be too old, and probably won't be around for too long.

roller
12th April 2008, 05:27 PM
so if you pay with paypal they charge more?

i havent read the whole thing

Borgeman
12th April 2008, 05:58 PM
i say the following based on a normal paypal account (not a business/premier one)

from what im aware, paypal only affects buyers when buying overseas, as they use a lower exchange rate to include the currency changing fee.

sellers get charged when accepting c/card pymts, and can only have 6 per 12month period (unless you apgrade your account). it also costs money to move funds from paypal to your bank account if its less than $150.

George

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th April 2008, 08:11 PM
I thought they charged a transaction fee (to the seller) even if you used a bank account as well, or was I wrong.

Man this blows big stinky chunks. Now all buyers will have to have Paypal accounts as well.

jaydisc
12th April 2008, 09:45 PM
The fees are described here:

https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

MV75
12th April 2008, 10:30 PM
Yea, so technically, it's fee free if payment is used from a savings account and you have $150 to withdraw from paypal.

2nd is most unlikely with the majority of transactions being casual <$50.

I'll just continue doing what I normally do, state in my auctions that if you paypal me, it will be $1 more on the final price.

Also for the casual user, this will also involve a longer turn off addition to signing up, having to dig up and enter your bank details for a paypal account.
________
TOYOTA COROLLA E70 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_E70)

SofaMan
14th April 2008, 11:30 AM
I'll just continue doing what I normally do, state in my auctions that if you paypal me, it will be $1 more on the final price.

Be aware though that this is against eBay policy, and they get quite stroppy if they catch you charging extra to use PayPal. Better to just quietly add $1 to your shipping/handling fees.

i_amtrunks
16th April 2008, 03:16 PM
Seems the deal aint done yet, the ACCC may still block it (doubt it though):
Full Story (http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23548903-15306,00.html)

And you can also Sign this Petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/ebayau/petition.html) against the changes.

Burn
16th April 2008, 03:22 PM
Seems the deal aint done yet, the ACCC may still block it (doubt it though):
Full Story (http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23548903-15306,00.html)

I wouldn't write the ACCC off so quickly. If anything they really should turn their attention to Paypal's business practices. That's the weak point in this plan.

Paulbot
16th April 2008, 03:25 PM
The ACCC should also be spending their time making sure we can all use the iPhone no matter what network we're on. :)

Soundwarp
16th April 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm happy with Paypal as i feel more secure :D

jaydisc
16th April 2008, 06:05 PM
The ACCC should also be spending their time making sure we can all use the iPhone no matter what network we're on. :)

You already can ;)

iceburn
16th April 2008, 06:09 PM
ohh this news was just on TV awhile ago...looks like a major impact to me
hmm when i wanna start selling things on ebay, here comes more troubles and worries

Adzma
16th April 2008, 10:29 PM
Well, personally this new policy doesn't affect me since I don't sell over eBay, I only buy. However I signed the petition anyway since I don't believe in them simply forcing these new regulations upon the people without even consulting the users first. Plus, I don't want to see my fellow Ozformers losing their sales.

TheDirtyDigger
24th April 2008, 07:06 AM
EBAY (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HYokLWfqbaU&feature=related)

Borgeman
24th April 2008, 08:14 AM
^That was simply beautiful......

George

dirge
24th April 2008, 08:25 PM
I love that song.

Anyone else notice that the pet rock's box has airholes? (:

Pulse
25th April 2008, 05:44 PM
Honestly, Isn't the sole reason Ebay exists is so that we can own stuff like used tissues & Megan Fox's worn clothing... :D