PDA

View Full Version : CHUGU... suggest a better name.

griffin
3rd October 2010, 10:36 AM
The acronym CHUGU (Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations, United, etc...) was convenient, but wasn't snappy enough to really catch on. And now that it is fast becomming a word long enough to need shortening itself, I want to see if we can come up with a better term for the style of toys in those series, that we as dedicated collectors seem to like more than the 'main' movie line.

It needs to be short (like an acronym or abbreviation, or short word - as I need something short for topic titles), and easy to recognise by most collectors as covering these toy moulds/gen1 homages that have now been spread across 6 different sub-lines (and likely to continue into future lines for years to come).

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2010, 10:55 AM
I thought CHUGU was catching on fairly well here actually. With Reveal the Shield it could then become CHUGUR (pronounced "Chugger" or "Chug-oor" if you wanna be fancy). I don't mind CHUGUR... sounds better than pronouncing OTFCC ("Ott-F*cc").

I also refer to CHUGU(R) as "Classicsverse" myself, cos for me it all started with Classics and while Hasbro keeps slapping different labels on them, I still classify them as Classics.

Paulbot
3rd October 2010, 11:20 AM
Classics is a good catch all for Hasbro's toys in that style. Henkei is a good catch all for Takara's versions.

I've never liked Ogga-Chuga

KaRNiV8L PRiME
3rd October 2010, 11:20 AM
I thought CHUGU was catching on fairly well here actually. With Reveal the Shield it could then become CHUGUR (pronounced "Chugger" or "Chug-oor" if you wanna be fancy). I don't mind CHUGUR... sounds better than pronouncing OTFCC ("Ott-F*cc").

I also refer to CHUGU(R) as "Classicsverse" myself, cos for me it all started with Classics and while Hasbro keeps slapping different labels on them, I still classify them as Classics.

I agree. I like TF:CHUGUR but I also just call it my classics collection.

Doubledealer
3rd October 2010, 12:30 PM
*flashes forward to the year 2020* Hey guys, you gotta come over some time to see My CHUGURLUGARBUGAR collection. :p

morg176
3rd October 2010, 12:31 PM
what about something simple like 'CLASIX' or 'GENX' the 'X' denoting the classics style. you could even abbreviate genx to GX if we were really lazy :)

5FDP
3rd October 2010, 01:57 PM
Classics is a good catch all for Hasbro's toys in that style. Henkei is a good catch all for Takara's versions.

I've never liked Ogga-Chuga

+1

*flashes forward to the year 2020* Hey guys, you gotta come over some time to see My CHUGURLUGARBUGAR collection. :p

LMAO :D

The_Damned
3rd October 2010, 02:07 PM
could just call it awesome

Tallestblue
3rd October 2010, 02:57 PM
Isn't there a push out there to call it Generation 3? I've seen it on TFW2005 a few times, and Fansproject's G3 trailer seems to be an obvious reference to the name Generation Three. So I'd like to suggest Gen3 or simply G3 to replace CHUGURTS.

MV75
3rd October 2010, 03:00 PM
The acronym CHUGU (Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations, United, etc...) was convenient, but wasn't snappy enough to really catch on. And now that it is fast becomming a word long enough to need shortening itself, I want to see if we can come up with a better term for the style of toys in those series, that we as dedicated collectors seem to like more than the 'main' movie line.

It needs to be short (like an acronym or abbreviation, or short word - as I need something short for topic titles), and easy to recognise by most collectors as covering these toy moulds/gen1 homages that have now been spread across 6 different sub-lines (and likely to continue into future lines for years to come).

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....... *GASP*..... NO NO NO NO NO, and no.

Just call it whatever line it came from. Never heard of the united line either. :p

EG: classics grimlock, universe hound, generations galvatron, etc. Because when you get things like starscream where there were releases across a few of the lines, if you say chew-goo starscream, people will say, yea, which bloody one? Then you'll have to say it anyway, like classics starscream.

Yes that too. I'm pretty sure I mentioned that elsewhere, but if you say classics whatever, people will know the style and line you are talking about.

tinyJazz
3rd October 2010, 03:06 PM
Am I kawaii chuguu~? *^3^*

:rolleyes: Yeah, thanks to the internet I can't take CHUGU seriously. ahaha!

Personally, I like to call it Neo-G1, because I can't think of a better way to describe it. :/ That's what it is.
neo- a combining form meaning “new,” “recent,” “revived,” “modified,”

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2010, 03:14 PM

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/roflcopter.jpg

SharkyMcShark
3rd October 2010, 03:22 PM
I don't see what's wrong with calling an individual toy by the name of their line f you must. Classics Jetfire. Generations Bumblebee.

As a catch all for the collection just call it 'Classics'.

I've got all my movie stuff together on my shelf but I'm not labelling it MoviePSAPRotFNESTAA. Just Movie.

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2010, 03:55 PM
I just call mine by the line they came from such as classics or universe 2.0 etc. The shelf they all sit on is called the Classics shelf. I never got what CHUGU stood for until just now and it doesn't really work. I like the sound of Gen3 or Neo-Gen as something that collates all these lines into one coherent whole at least for us when discussing said lines.

Grievous
3rd October 2010, 06:08 PM
Personally...I just call them all Classics...
and I never liked the term "CHUGU" it sounds
like the noise I make when I throw up...

kaiden
3rd October 2010, 06:28 PM
I want to suggest CB-ICTY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ9aPxorcvY&feature=fvst)

Tallestblue
3rd October 2010, 08:53 PM
..I would be tempted to buy a transformers line consisting of Rap Video Girls who turn into Rap Video Girls with bigger butts.

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2010, 09:20 PM
I don't see what's wrong with calling an individual toy by the name of their line f you must. Classics Jetfire. Generations Bumblebee.
When referring to individual toys, that is usually fine - but I think people are looking for a term when referring to Classics/Henkei(/Gentei)/Universe(2)/Generations/United etc. toys as an overall toy line or series.

Although HasTak markets them under separate banners, a lot of fans see them as being part of the same overall series. For me, I classify my CHUGU toys as all "Classics" in my collection spreadsheet like so:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/spreadsheet.jpg
So as you can see I lump them all as "Classics" (divided into Autobots and Decepticons), and there's other columns which further delineate them as Universe, Henkei, Generations etc. I have all my CHUGU Autobots on one shelf and my CHUGU Decepticons on another.

kurdt_the_goat
3rd October 2010, 09:23 PM
It seems there's a certain level of OCD that goes hand in hand with being a Transformers collector! :p

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2010, 09:31 PM
Lots actually. The need to collect, organise display shelves, clean, sort paperwork and constantly checking toy shelves to see if the staff have restocked them in the last 2 minutes.

Sleeve
3rd October 2010, 09:34 PM
Classics.

'Nuff said.

griffin
3rd October 2010, 10:39 PM
I think Classics is certainly an easy term to use, in general... like in the comparison photos section, or news topics that have a redeco of a mould that was in more than one of the noted sublines.
This wasn't asking for a renaming of individual toys as to their individual sub-line, as some had jumped on... this is for generating/agreeing on a term for a 'mould class' - for example, 'The XXXXX Seeker's mould'. What do you call it so that everyone knows you are not talking about Gen1, Movie, Robotmasters, Titanium, Robot Heroes, etc?

As one who posts most news items here, and generates the toy checklists here, I want to be using a term that collectors are going to easily recognise, without causing confusion. Obviously, figures will be sorted/noted according to packaging/sub-line, but referring to actual moulds, in terms of redeco or theme/homage, it can be confusing if more than one term/label can apply. Especially when packaging has become an unreliable indicator, after Walmart 'Classics' in Movie packaging, Energon figures re-released in Universe packaging, and Gen1 homages in TF2 packaging...

So, even though there was an actual Classics series in 2006-2007... referring to a mould as a Classics mould, can actually refer to any of the related, follow-up sub-lines. Okay? :)

SkyWarp91
3rd October 2010, 10:51 PM
I think Classics is certainly an easy term to use, in general... like in the comparison photos section, or news topics that have a redeco of a mould that was in more than one of the noted sublines.
This wasn't asking for a renaming of individual toys as to their individual sub-line, as some had jumped on... this is for generating/agreeing on a term for a 'mould class' - for example, 'The XXXXX Seeker's mould'. What do you call it so that everyone knows you are not talking about Gen1, Movie, Robotmasters, Titanium, Robot Heroes, etc?

As one who posts most news items here, and generates the toy checklists here, I want to be using a term that collectors are going to easily recognise, without causing confusion. Obviously, figures will be sorted/noted according to packaging/sub-line, but referring to actual moulds, in terms of redeco or theme/homage, it can be confusing if more than one term/label can apply. Especially when packaging has become an unreliable indicator, after Walmart 'Classics' in Movie packaging, Energon figures re-released in Universe packaging, and Gen1 homages in TF2 packaging...

So, even though there was an actual Classics series in 2006-2007... referring to a mould as a Classics mould, can actually refer to any of the related, follow-up sub-lines. Okay? :)

I like it, a simple term that has class to it!

LordCyrusOmega
3rd October 2010, 11:50 PM
I like it, a simple term that has class to it!

+1 it's what i call my Classics, Universe, 2.0, Generations etc shelf anyway.
Nice and neat. Better then CHUGULUG..this isn't a pub

bruticus
4th October 2010, 01:55 AM
Isn't there a push out there to call it Generation 3? I've seen it on TFW2005 a few times, and Fansproject's G3 trailer seems to be an obvious reference to the name Generation Three. So I'd like to suggest Gen3 or simply G3 to replace CHUGURTS.

"...I collect G3's..."
"...here's my G3 Collection..."
"...why dont they make a G3 trypticon?..."

hmm... i could get use to that. :D

Autocon
4th October 2010, 02:55 AM
neo gen 3 works for me

Tober
4th October 2010, 03:59 AM
G3 / Generations 3 - sums it up nicely. G3 Henkei Thrust, Gen3 Drift, Generation 3 WfC Megatron... etc

Otherwise I nominate 'Filler'... Filler Henkei Thrust, Filler Drift, Filler WfC Megatron... etc. Just calling a spade a spade. :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2010, 10:11 AM
The problem with referring to CHUGU as "Classics" is that it might be confusing to new members who may not be aware of this consensus -- unless you include it somewhere on the front page or signup or board policy or something. We'd run into the same problem with "Generation 3" -- arguably an even greater problem since none of the CHUGU lines were ever officially called "Generation 3."

What about "Classicsverse" or "Classics Universe" ... it still has the word "Classics," but by tacking on "-verse" or "Universe" you're implying that it's everything from the Classics universe (which would include Henkei, Universe 2.0, Generations, United etc.). Quite a few fans refer to Armada/Energon/Cybertron as "Armadaverse." But I must say that I more frequently see people refer to it as AEC.

Maybe we should have a poll? Between Classics or Gen 3, I'd run with Classics. One problem with using "Generations 3" is that if HasTak ever decide to officially use this term for an entirely different and unrelated line/concept then we'd run into problems. It's bad enough when Hasbro goes and reuses the same names for different concepts. (-_-)

Sleeve
4th October 2010, 10:24 AM
G1 Redux? Or just 'Redux'.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2010, 10:42 AM
G1 Redux?

Some of the CHUGU dudes aren't based on G1 though.

e.g.
Universe Hot Shot & Jolt (Armada)
Ultimate Battle Megatron (G2)
Universe Megatron (G2)
Henkei/Universe Cheetor (BW/BM)
Henkei/Universe Dinobot (BW)
...and isn't there a Laser Optimus Prime (G2) coming up?

Some CHUGU toys are original characters like Steel Wind and Thunderwing (uh, the Autobot - not the Decepticon that's coming up later)

G1G2ARMBWBM redux. :p

Or just 'Redux'.
We might run into the same issues as calling it "Generation 3" in terms of it being a somewhat subjective term that newer collectors may not immediately understand. I doubt Hasbro would officially use the name "Redux" but if they ever did that would also make things more confusing.

Paulbot
4th October 2010, 11:30 AM
Surely "Classics" as the overall name for a figure in that style of Transformer toy makes sense to everyone?

Case closed. :)

Sleeve
4th October 2010, 12:22 PM
Surely "Classics" as the overall name for a figure in that style of Transformer toy makes sense to everyone?

+1

morg176
4th October 2010, 12:30 PM
what about just GenX

LordCyrusOmega
4th October 2010, 12:31 PM

I agree with this as well although some of them look (at least on my shelves) as bay-verse toys.
I also think that 'Classics' is universal and easily incorporates characters from all these lines.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2010, 03:34 PM

Case closed.
Previously you said...

So would you use the term "Classics" as a catch all for both Hasbro's and TOMY's figures inclusively? I already lump all my CHUG toys as "Classics" in my personal classification, so I'd be willing to go along with calling them all Classics on the board. :)

Paulbot
4th October 2010, 04:07 PM
Classics=Henkei so I'd use Henkei to specifically refer to the range of Japanese toys, but those toys are still "Classics" toys. They just have a bit of chrome.

griffin
5th October 2010, 01:28 AM
Same as how we refer to the first few years of JP TFs as (JP) 'Gen1' instead of their various sub-line names.

SofaMan
5th October 2010, 01:34 AM
Same as how we refer to the first few years of JP TFs as (JP) 'Gen1' instead of their various sub-line names.

Good point.

This is one of the reasons I'm now favoring 'Classicsverse' to describe the toys in question - it distinguishes it from Classics (2006-7) but creates an obvious relationship with it and subsequent similar lines.

SamLoi888
6th October 2010, 12:53 PM
Somebody should do a poll!

Tober
7th October 2010, 10:21 AM
Somebody should do a poll!

And they have:

What to call Classics/Henkei(Gentei)/Universe/Generations/United/RevealTheShield etc? (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9075)

Continue the CHUGU name replacement suggestions there please. :)