PDA

View Full Version : What to call Classics/Henkei(Gentei)/Universe/Generations/United/RevealTheShield etc?

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2010, 03:44 PM
As discussed in this thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7). This is a poll based on suggestions made by people in the discussion thread. Select which name is your #1 preferred name as an overall encompassing name for Classics, Henkei, Gentei, Universe (2.0), Generations, United, Reveal the Shield and any other zany names that HasTak decides to lump these toys under in the future!!

Note that if you choose "CHUGUR" then this acronym may be expanded as HasTak create more names, and as Doubledealer put it, we may end up calling it "CHUGURLUGARBUGAR". :D

Vote!

P.S.: I voted for "Classicsverse" but my 2nd preference would be "Classics" :) (though tbh "CHUGUR" doesn't really bug me either :p)

iceburn
4th October 2010, 03:57 PM
it's always been classics to be. i called it Classics (Universe 2.0), Classics (Generations) so classicsverse is nice

Hursticon
4th October 2010, 05:30 PM
I too chose Classicsverse because I think it was the Classics line that inspired a lot in various people's minds and also set the trend for each subsequent line.

I was leaning towards G3 but... I don't know, it fits but something just didn't feel right.

I also was going to consider Dave :p - for obvious reasons. :D

Grievous
4th October 2010, 07:39 PM
I voted for Classics...
:cool:

SilverDragon
4th October 2010, 07:46 PM
I voted for Classicsverse, because 'Classics' in my mind denotes the G1 homage toys, whereas 'Classicsverse' encompasses the entire line and its aim to represent every series of Transformers.

Sharky
4th October 2010, 07:51 PM
Just Plain olld Transformers will do for me

kaiden
4th October 2010, 07:54 PM
lol CB-ICTY was a joke.

nobody actually likes chris brown.

SharkyMcShark
4th October 2010, 07:59 PM
If you don't just call it 'Classics' I'm going to start referring to the movie part of my collection as my MovieRGRPSAPRotFNESTAAAHftD Collection just to annoy people.

Sharky
4th October 2010, 08:20 PM
MovieRGRPSAPRotFNESTAAAHftD Collection

Translation = TRANSFORMERS

Sky Shadow
4th October 2010, 08:42 PM
I like the idea of Generation 3, but there would have to be some official designation from Hasbro for me to call it that.

Personally, I don't see any need to call those toys anything as a whole. I'd call the ones that were Classics "Classics", the one that were Universe "Universe", etc. They're different lines, just because individual fans might put the toys together on the same shelf, it doesn't make Generations toys the same line as the Classics ones.

kup
4th October 2010, 08:53 PM
Hasbro changes what the line is called too often so I also vote we stick with calling them Classics or Classicsverse.

Sticking to official Hasbro line assignations is just too messy. The only way to go is common sense and personal preference when it comes to new molds clearly intended to be G1 characters (and by that I mean directly, not just 'inspired by' or 'based on').

Bartrim
4th October 2010, 09:02 PM
I voted for classicsverse however I think it would be awesome if Hasbro renamed them all Gen3:cool:

SofaMan
4th October 2010, 09:27 PM
I've taken to using CHUG. Just CHUG. As is Classic-Henkei-Universe-Generations.

It's 4 characters, 1 syllable. It doesn't need to be exhaustive, since the 'extra' lines are sort of implied through the 4 lines chosen. And it sounds cool.

As soon as we start adding a letter for each new sub-line, we are going to end up with absurdly unwieldy and useless acronyms. I don't want to be using CHUGURROFLOL in ten years' time.

But, y'know, whatever. :p

Tallestblue
4th October 2010, 10:40 PM
I voted for G3. It willl be interesting to see what they refer to it as in 10 years time.

jaydisc
4th October 2010, 11:23 PM
I vote for more spaces in the thread title. It's wrecking the layout.

SofaMan
4th October 2010, 11:38 PM
Y'know what, I've changed my mind. Classicsverse is a bit better.

Now I have to come up with a useful 3 or 4 letter acronym. CLV? CLVS? :confused::p

griffin
5th October 2010, 12:57 AM
We already had a discussion topic on this, I don't see the need for this repetition.

Autocon
5th October 2010, 01:00 AM
im calling it Dave:) i like it

Ode to a Grasshopper
5th October 2010, 08:22 AM
We already had a discussion topic on this, I don't see the need for this repetition.This one has a new hat poll.

I voted Classicsverse.

Paulbot
5th October 2010, 08:22 AM
We already had a discussion topic on this, I don't see the need for this repetition.

I guess this poll is being run on all the TF forums so we can have a Universal Naming Conention based on what fans vote?

GoktimusPrime
5th October 2010, 11:22 AM
This thread wasn't really intended for discussion, but rather just opinion polling. Possible to merge?

jaydisc
5th October 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm calling it whatever the hell I want and anyone that doesn't like that can go and call it whatever they want. This is a solution in search of a problem.

Sharky
5th October 2010, 03:51 PM
I'm calling it whatever the hell I want and anyone that doesn't like that can go and call it whatever they want. This is a solution in search of a problem.

I like this method. from now on they are called quibbles

Lord_Zed
5th October 2010, 07:23 PM
I'd have called them chazzwazzers. :p

Bartrim
5th October 2010, 07:41 PM
After the past few posts I have a question. Is there any point to this poll? Will the end result be universally recognized? Or is this just for everyone to list their own personal preference?

GoktimusPrime
5th October 2010, 08:26 PM
It's just an opinion poll. :)

kup
6th October 2010, 11:54 AM
I'd have called them chazzwazzers. :p

Given how erratic this line has been, that is actually the most suitable name for it so far :)

MV75
6th October 2010, 12:09 PM

+ infinity. The consensus was classics. Classicsverse is just horrible and wrong. At least hyphen it or make it more silly by saying classicsversegenerations. Case closed.

jaydisc
6th October 2010, 01:37 PM
+ infinity. The consensus was classics. Classicsverse is just horrible and wrong. At least hyphen it or make it more silly by saying classicsversegenerations. Case closed.

While I also agree that classicsverse is horrible and wrong, this poll would clearly indicate that it is indeed the consensus, whether you or I like it or not. That being said, I'm still gonna call it whatever I want and will respond with furious anger towards anyone that dares to correct me.

But, just for mine and others' clarification, are you stating "Case closed" from a moderator perspective? Or is that just how you state your opinion?

iceburn
6th October 2010, 01:57 PM
i think it's just MV75's way of saying that's it based on his own perspective :P
well, we can call whatever we like, same with the figure's name as I know STL always renames it to his own and some are pretty good

Deceptic_Optic
6th October 2010, 02:35 PM
how about we call it transformers :rolleyes: :D

SamLoi888
6th October 2010, 02:44 PM
how about we call it transformers :rolleyes: :D

Haha, that would have the ocd anal-retentives here prolapsing. :D

kaiden
6th October 2010, 05:47 PM
This poll represents the opinion of the Australian Transformers Fans - all 35 of us. Well if Americans or Europeans need data to compare to - here it is :P

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2010, 07:03 PM
how about we call it transformers
As griffin mentioned on the discussion thread:

I think Classics is certainly an easy term to use, in general... like in the comparison photos section, or news topics that have a redeco of a mould that was in more than one of the noted sublines.
This wasn't asking for a renaming of individual toys as to their individual sub-line, as some had jumped on... this is for generating/agreeing on a term for a 'mould class' - for example, 'The XXXXX Seeker's mould'. What do you call it so that everyone knows you are not talking about Gen1, Movie, Robotmasters, Titanium, Robot Heroes, etc?

As one who posts most news items here, and generates the toy checklists here, I want to be using a term that collectors are going to easily recognise, without causing confusion. Obviously, figures will be sorted/noted according to packaging/sub-line, but referring to actual moulds, in terms of redeco or theme/homage, it can be confusing if more than one term/label can apply. Especially when packaging has become an unreliable indicator, after Walmart 'Classics' in Movie packaging, Energon figures re-released in Universe packaging, and Gen1 homages in TF2 packaging...

So if you're going to say "Transformers Seekers" then that term would include:
+ Original G1 Seekers (including later G1 Seekers like Pretender Starscream, Action Master Thundercracker etc.)
+ G2 Seekers
+ Machine Wars Seekers
+ Armada/Micron Legend Seekers
+ Smallest Transformers Seekers
+ Robot Masters Seekers
+ Titanium Series Seekers (both 8 and 15cm)
+ Cybertron/Galaxy Force Seekers
+ CHUGUR Seekers
+ Moofie Seekers
+ Animated Seekers
+ Other non-action figure Seekers (e.g. G1 Decoys, SCFs, HoC, MyClones, RH etc.)

By having a collective name for the CHUGUR Seekers, then at least people know that you're specifically talking about the Seekers within that series only.

P.S.: Ironically a second after I posted this, Deceptic walks into my house. :p say hello Deceptic...

Optics:Hi Everyone! :D

okay get off my keyboard :p

kup
6th October 2010, 11:29 PM
Gok, I think you missed Griffin's point.

Anyway, I agree that the term 'CHUGUR' is something that would not be immediately understood by most fans, specially those who do not often visit here.

Classic/Classicverse is the most easily understood term.

Tober
7th October 2010, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of Generation 3, but there would have to be some official designation from Hasbro for me to call it that.

Personally, I don't see any need to call those toys anything as a whole. I'd call the ones that were Classics "Classics", the one that were Universe "Universe", etc. They're different lines, just because individual fans might put the toys together on the same shelf, it doesn't make Generations toys the same line as the Classics ones.

I agree. The War for Cybertron figures are in the Generations line, but they don't belong with the Classics or Universe lines.

It also means you can exclude Drift as IDWverse. :rolleyes:

Tober
7th October 2010, 10:16 AM
This thread wasn't really intended for discussion, but rather just opinion polling. Possible to merge?

Not really. When you have a poll made after a discussion and try to merge them the discussion topic comes first because of the time-stamping. So what you would end up with in the merged thread is the poll at the start, then the discussion thread, then on about page 3 the initial post for the poll explaining what it's about.

Might make more sense for me to lock the other thread and link to here...

Well said, completely true.

Arguably a problem that doesn't have a solution either.

Including Henkei with Classics/Universe doesn't really work. War for Cybertron is supposedly a part of Prime as well. Allot of people would consider the BotCon and Shattered Glass figures to be a part of their 'Classics' collection too, whilst others wouldn't.

After the past few posts I have a question. Is there any point to this poll? Will the end result be universally recognized? Or is this just for everyone to list their own personal preference?

It's just an opinion poll. :)

Yeah, it's simply a response to CHUGU...

Classics-verse-CHUGU... Whoever wins, no one cares. ;)

LordCyrusOmega
7th October 2010, 06:20 PM
I'm starting to think this is a debate that will never come to a finish as everyone displays and calls there collections different things. For example i display my Universe figures alongside Classics, Universe 2.0, generations etc. Some would not display them as there is a different storyline that accompanies them.

I think the point now is to agree on something when referring to the CHUGALUG (or whatever it is now, it's not a term i've ever used) line so that as a community we understand what is being spoken about while calling it whatever we please in our own homes.

Otherwise this is going to get messy

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2010, 11:34 AM
I think the point now is to agree on something when referring to the CHUGALUG (or whatever it is now, it's not a term i've ever used) line so that as a community we understand what is being spoken about while calling it whatever we please in our own homes.
I think that was always the point. Privately you can call them whatever you want, but I believe we're looking at agreeing upon a general consensus for what we can call it as a community. :)

Sky Shadow
8th October 2010, 11:37 AM
Some LOLbots from Paulbot:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=197728#post197728

LordCyrusOmega
8th October 2010, 11:45 AM
I think that was always the point. Privately you can call them whatever you want, but I believe we're looking at agreeing upon a general consensus for what we can call it as a community. :)

I know that was the original point. The discussion was moving away from that. It seemed peoples were starting to think they should change what they called their own collection as a pose to what we do as a community

jaydisc
8th October 2010, 12:37 PM
The more this thread keeps popping up, the less sense it makes to me. To me there are two situations this relates to:

1. Referring to all of these lines collectively (avoiding specificity)

Example: I display Music Label Soundwave with my Classics

In this situation, I don't see any need for clarification as to whether that means Classics, Henkei, Generations, or any amalgamation therein. And the above statement would work with any of those descriptors specified therein:

I display Music Label Soundwave with my Universe figures
I display Music Label Soundwave with my Henkei figures

2. Referring to a figure specifically (requiring specificity)

Example: I just bought Classicsverse Starscream

In this situation, where specificity is actually needed, a catch all isn't going to solve the problem. Rather, you are going to have to say the actual line the figure came from, e.g. Classics, Generations or Henkei Starscream.

So what the hell is the use case for a common or official term?

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2010, 04:57 PM
So what the hell is the use case for a common or official term?
e.g.: "I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Classicsverse Seekers collection."

My Classicsverse Seekers are currently comprised of:
+ Classics Starscream
+ Henkei Thundercracker
+ Henkei Skywarp
+ Classics Ramjet
+ Gentei Thrust
+ Universe Dirge (G1 Series)

My Universe Dirge was something I bought cos I missed out on BotCon Classics and Gentei Dirge - but I've never been happy with it and it's now just a stand-in until I get Generations Dirge. But yeah, with the exception of Universe Dirge, I'm not at all fussed about which particular line my "Classicsverse" Seekers come from.

When referring to my Classicsverse toys individually, then yeah - I use the name of the individual lines that they come from, but when referring to that collection set, or say a sub group like the Seekers, then I refer to them with a collective term like "Classicsverse."

jaydisc
8th October 2010, 06:32 PM
See point 1.

klystron
8th October 2010, 10:10 PM
Well if nothing else, this thread has provided some entertainment and a few laughs. :)
Whilst I must admit that I hate having to write things like G1 Bot, BW Bot, HftD Bot, Classics Bot, AA Bot, etc, unfortunately it is part of our TF world and you could argue it has been for a long time.
Having said that though, previous lines have been easier to pidgeon-hole (at least in my mind) and seemed to have a clear start, end and a defined identity/character. You can look at an Energon toy and tell that its an Energon toy, even if you know nothing about TF Energon (like myself).
I have no idea when HftD started or what toys are in it, which wave is what. Same for AA. Nor could I tell the difference between the toys (without packaging). Granted I don't follow these newer lines with the passion of other collectors, but I still consider myself and fan and collector and have trouble sorting these lines out.
I'm no longer sure what point I was trying to make... :confused:
I think its that I would like some sort of group title, but a common name for the whole lot seems a bit pointless, as the specific line will still have to be mentioned when talking about a specific bot. Like someone else mentioned, it will be interesting to see what the whole schmozzle is unoffically nicknamed in 10 years time.

Now having said all that, Gen3 appealed to me, but I did not vote for it.

Autocon
8th October 2010, 10:17 PM
my Dave ss just beat Dave thundercracker to a pulp lol. While Dave soundwave and Dave thrust just laughed :)

could change it to Larry!

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2010, 10:19 PM
See point 1.
Okay...

1. Referring to all of these lines collectively (avoiding specificity)

Example: I display Music Label Soundwave with my Classics

In this situation, I don't see any need for clarification as to whether that means Classics, Henkei, Generations, or any amalgamation therein. And the above statement would work with any of those descriptors specified therein:

I display Music Label Soundwave with my Universe figures
I display Music Label Soundwave with my Henkei figures

Let's see how that works with my example sentence ("I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Classicsverse Seekers collection.")

+ "I want to by Generations Dirge to complete my Classics Seekers collection."
+ "I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Universe Seekers collection."
+ "I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Henkei Seekers collection."
+ "I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Gentei Seekers collection."
+ "I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my Generations Seekers collection."

Would that be right? If so, the first one sounds okay, but I don't like the sound of the others. Just my personal biased preference. As I said before, after "Classicsverse" my 2nd preference would be "Classics" anyway. I'm sure it's because I started collecting this series in 2006 when it was initially called "Classics" and which has made me biased toward that term above the others.

So what about:
"I want to get Generations Dirge to replace my Universe Dirge and complete my Classicsverse Seekers collection."
...here I would accept replacing "Classicsverse" with "Classics," but I wouldn't personally replace it with any other line name.

Again, this is just my personal preference. If there is a common consensus reached about what we should call these toys then I'll go with that for the purposes of communicating on this board and with other collectors. If there's no consensus reached then well... it's a moot point as we can all just go ahead and call it whatever we want. :)

But CHUGUR seriously doesn't bother me tbh. At least "Chugger" doesn't sound as profane as pronouncing OTFCC. ;)

5FDP
8th October 2010, 10:38 PM
This thread is over-analysing at its best :rolleyes:

If there is a common consensus reached about what we should call these toys then I'll go with that for the purposes of communicating on this board and with other collectors. If there's no consensus reached then well... it's a moot point as we can all just go ahead and call it whatever we want. :)

I got a crazy idea, how about we just call them as per what Hasbro labelled them e.g. Generations, Classics, Universe etc. and if there is any confusion, clarification can be requested and we all move on in life :)

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2010, 11:59 PM
I got a crazy idea, how about we just call them as per what Hasbro labelled them e.g. Generations, Classics, Universe etc. and if there is any confusion, clarification can be requested and we all move on in life :)
well that's why I don't mind CHUGUR (I don't love it, but it doesn't bother me).

Thus I can say,
"I want to buy Generations Dirge to complete my CHUGUR Seekers collection."
...that way I'm using what HasTak have called them (albeit in acronym form).

Chugger!! :D \(^O^)/

SuspectimusPrime
9th October 2010, 01:56 AM
Let us recall the lesson to be learnt from Hasbro the Almighty, whom, in His infinite glory and wisdom, failed to Google search before naming the awesomeness figure that was came to be known as Nexus Maximus.

Via Wikipedia...
Chugur,
"Chugur District is one of three districts of the province Hualgayoc in Peru."

kurdt_the_goat
9th October 2010, 02:07 AM
It's just a matter of time before they pop a G1 reissue or Masterpiece in whatever's current packaging and throw everyone's shelves into complete chaos!
What we really need is a steadier stream of TF news to stop pointless discussions like this!

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2010, 09:23 AM
It's just a matter of time before they pop a G1 reissue or Masterpiece in whatever's current packaging and throw everyone's shelves into complete chaos!
They (http://www.firstintoys.com/images/soundwave_box.jpg) already (http://www.ruplinger.net/toys/masterpiece%20starscream.jpg) have (http://jebr0nie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/toys-reissue-insecticons.jpg).

But most fans just ignore them and don't consider them to be part of CHUGUR. Mmm... selective memory fresh... ;)

Sky Shadow
9th October 2010, 09:57 AM
They (http://www.firstintoys.com/images/soundwave_box.jpg) already (http://www.ruplinger.net/toys/masterpiece%20starscream.jpg) have (http://jebr0nie.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/toys-reissue-insecticons.jpg).

But most fans just ignore them and don't consider them to be part of CHUGUR. Mmm... selective memory fresh... ;)

But this is exactly why this exercise is meaningless. It's trying to come up with a universal term for something that is not universal. If people are individually picking and choosing what is part of this concept and what isn't, what's the point of coming up with an all-encompassing name for it? It just makes it more confusing. Classics, Generations, Universe, Henkei - these are individual absolutes. This 'Classiscsverse' thing is just subjective between some collectors who have Device Label Blaster on a shelf with Classics Starscream and Generations War For Cybertron Optimus Prime and others who don't. This doesn't help people communicate, it's just wallowing in muddy waters.

kup
9th October 2010, 03:30 PM
I think that is safe to say that most people have a general idea of what is meant when 'Classics' or 'Classicsverse' is mentioned. However that term is really broad and when analyzed in detail down to individual toys it is very likely that there will be some differences of what one considers classics.

For communication about specific toys, it may be best to address them by their official line in order to avoid confusion. However that isn't perfect either due to personal preferences. For example, I like to disregard post design marketing driven line assignation and prefer to place the figure in the line in which it's designer meant it to be. For example I shrug when I address Fracture as part of the Movie line and will usually address that figure as 'Classics Crasher' although I know I am technically wrong.

I guess that shows that this topic is all to subjective and rather futile. We'll never come to a 'catch all' consensus.

But anyway, why is this necessary? The line 'shifts' have existed for a couple of years here with everyone calling the toys all kinds of names some officially accurate and inaccurate yet I have never seen much of a confusion despite these toys frequently being the subject of conversation.

SMHFConvoy
9th October 2010, 05:05 PM
Gee, I just call 'em Transformers ;D

griffin
10th October 2010, 12:59 AM
Closed - Topic has served its purpose.