PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - JP2010 (Henkei) Sons of Cybertron 2-pack

griffin
7th October 2010, 01:45 PM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Sons of Cybertron Optimus Prime & Rodimus

Series - Transformers 2010
Sub-line - Henkei
Size/class - Deluxe x 2
New/remould/redeco - redeco
Wave - 3
Released here - No (in Japan August 2010)
Approximate Retail Price - US$60
Approximate Size - 13cm
Allegiance - Autobots
Alt-mode - Truck (Optimus), Sports car (Rodimus)
Main Features/Gimmicks - Spinning Attack (Optimus), launching missile (Rodimus)
Main Colours - Red/blue/white (Optimus), Red/orange/black/gold (Rodimus)
Main Accessories - Gun (Optimus), missile, launcher (Rodimus)

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/jp1010.jpg

jaydisc
7th October 2010, 04:22 PM
Like chrome, there are fans that love crystal toys, and fans that simply don't understand the appeal. I'm squarely in the former camp.

This is my first instance of this deluxe Prime mold, and it really is near useless IMO. As well, there are many non-clear bits to it that lessen the aesthetic.

On the other hand, Rodimus is beautiful! The darkening (but not blackening out) of the windshield is great, and MUCH better than Hasbro's foolish decision to paint their recent version's windshield opaque blue. The spoiler is a very shiny gold chrome, and the crystal effect is generally perfect on this toy. The only shortcoming I see is that the light piping is clear red, just like the rest of his head, so his eyes lack definition.

If you're fan of clear toys, this is a must have. If you're not, it's probably not worth it. If you're like me, and equally dislike the prime mold, then you're basically looking at spending $80-90 on Rodimus, which is quite a lot, especially in light of the recently released Challenge for Cybertron and the similar upcoming 2-pack.

LordCyrusOmega
7th October 2010, 05:35 PM
I think they look ok and would be worth it if truly interested and would look nice displayed.

However i have never been a fan of this Optimus mould. I think it fails in more places then it succeeds from the spin attack to the poorly designed alternate mode.

Going to be giving these a miss.

gamblor916
8th October 2010, 07:09 AM
Oh I must have this. I think I'll pick this up instead of the Rodimus Cyclonus 2 pack.

lcz128
8th October 2010, 08:00 AM
There is of course the third crazy option of buying this, the rodimus cyclonus twopack THEN taking the chrome spoiler and putting it on that hasbro cyclonus. Lol

I picked mine up last week and they're very awesome clear... But like jay said, the non clear parts for optimus spoils the effect. Unlike the other crystal prime that used clear plastics for the grey parts. Ah well. No regrets. Rodimus makes this set. (: