PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece optimus repair help

twisted_belly
14th October 2010, 08:39 AM
Hye everyone, since many of you guys here are expert in this transformers arena, I'm wondering whether you guys can give me some opinion on this. I've always been wanting to own masterpiece prime and recently I found one (20th anniversary) with a decent price. The thing is, a part/clip on one of prime's leg is broken, as in the picture below. I'm wondering whether that part is vital for the toy i.e. a moving part that is essential for transformation, and whether it can just be glued into its position. I don't want to buy it only for it to become a lemon later on. The seller described the defect as being minor and not affecting the poses and transformation. Any insight is welcome :)!
Thanks in advance guys.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/epulxdagger/primeleg.jpg

LordCyrusOmega
14th October 2010, 08:44 AM
I don't know if gluing it would help. I'm not an expert at transformer repairs but That clip is used in the transformation. You push it in to extend or retract the leg so i don't know if gluing it would be a good idea.

I'd wait for some real advise though

Hursticon
14th October 2010, 08:55 AM
Indeed, I do believe it is used in the locking process of when the lower half of the leg slides up over the upper half.

I agree with Lord Cyrus though, I'd wait for some more experienced advice from one of the other members.

kup
14th October 2010, 09:51 AM
It is indeed used to to lock the legs in place and and retract them (when pushed).

I have pulled this toy apart before to repair a problem in which they made the gas tank clip too big and I couldn't push it enough to retract the leg.

I will be working until very late this evening and tomorrow I have a business dinner so if you can wait until the weekend, I can create a photo repair guide for you.

twisted_belly
14th October 2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys, there are much appreciated.

It is indeed used to to lock the legs in place and and retract them (when pushed).

I have pulled this toy apart before to repair a problem in which they made the gas tank clip too big and I couldn't push it enough to retract the leg.

I will be working until very late this evening and tomorrow I have a business dinner so if you can wait until the weekend, I can create a photo repair guide for you.

From the photo, do you think it's fixable and would it require so much work? I haven't bought the item, and I won't if the damage is permanent i.e. not fixable. Given the current standard price of this MP, I wouldn't mind fixing the leg at the price it's going for.

kup
14th October 2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys, there are much appreciated.

From the photo, do you think it's fixable and would it require so much work? I haven't bought the item, and I won't if the damage is permanent i.e. not fixable. Given the current standard price of this MP, I wouldn't mind fixing the leg at the price it's going for.

I think it's very fixable but I need to refresh myself on the mechanism of the gas tanks so that I can provide you with details on how to fix it.

Lint
14th October 2010, 10:20 PM
From that single photo I would call that broken part a dealbreaker. The gas tank part should be a 90% cylindrical object, this looks like it has been halved. Also where there is a solid block in the photo there is supposed to be a spring. Also the centre of the gas tank should be mounted on a pin which looks to be missing. There is no way you can simply glue this so that it is like the original mechanism, especially if you're not provided with all the broken bits that seem to be missing in this photo.

My guess is that the seller has fashioned a way to mount the broken gas tank part onto the leg so it at least looks good from the outside. In my experience you need the tank mechanism working to lock prime's leg into place properly (otherwise he will stand lopsided). However the leg assembly on this particular figure might be tight enough so it may not be absolutely necessary.

If you can get more photos from the seller regarding this broken part it would be helpful.

kup
14th October 2010, 11:06 PM
From that single photo I would call that broken part a dealbreaker. The gas tank part should be a 90% cylindrical object, this looks like it has been halved. Also where there is a solid block in the photo there is supposed to be a spring. Also the centre of the gas tank should be mounted on a pin which looks to be missing. There is no way you can simply glue this so that it is like the original mechanism, especially if you're not provided with all the broken bits that seem to be missing in this photo.

My guess is that the seller has fashioned a way to mount the broken gas tank part onto the leg so it at least looks good from the outside. In my experience you need the tank mechanism working to lock prime's leg into place properly (otherwise he will stand lopsided). However the leg assembly on this particular figure might be tight enough so it may not be absolutely necessary.

If you can get more photos from the seller regarding this broken part it would be helpful.

Oh, I appear to have misunderstood the situation. I was under the mistaken impression that twisted_belly had already bought the figure but it was broken.

I am a believer that it can be fixed but I can't say exactly how easy or hard it will be to do so until I have revisited my own toy. I have repaired much worse defects than this before so I am sure it's possible to do it but given that there are possible missing parts, it will be a little harder as ingenuity will need to enter into play.

Since this toy is yet to be bought, my advise is not to buy it and hold out for a better deal. If you do decide to but it, take better pictures of it and I will be glad to help you in it's repair.

twisted_belly
14th October 2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks so much for the reply guys, I've requested more details on the damage part from the seller. I'll follow up from there I guess...