PDA

View Full Version : TF Animated Ep17 - The Elite Guard

Pulse
13th April 2008, 03:23 AM
It seemed as though the purpose of this episode (besides the introduction of 3 new characters) was to sow the seeds for further plotlines (Spacebridge, Allspark being scattered everywhere, Sari never existing etc.).

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Ultra Magnus being portrayed as the supreme, all-powerful leader. Wouldn't it be better if he was at the same rank as Optimus & Sentinel?

How cool was Jazz! A little more "Scatman Cruthers" in his voice would make him even more perfect. :D

8 1/2 out of 10 (Jazz definitely made this a great episode for me)

Tober
13th April 2008, 06:11 AM
Yep, this episode basically sets up the new seasons story archs. Future involvement of the Dinobots as well.

Jazz was kinda cool in an afro-ninja sorta way but Sentinel Prime was pure annoying - he was just too dumb.

GoktimusPrime
13th April 2008, 09:48 AM
Wow, I really liked this episode!

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Ultra Magnus being portrayed as the supreme, all-powerful leader. Wouldn't it be better if he was at the same rank as Optimus & Sentinel?
I don't see why. Optimus mentioned that he and Sentinel were of equal rank, being Primes. Ultra Magnus, not being a Prime, would be of a different rank - in this case, a higher rank.

I didn't mind it. I like Ultra Magnus as a supreme leader. He was objective, firm but fair.

He's also a god! His warhammer was like the Cybertronian equivalent of Mjolnir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir)! But as such an uber-powerful character, I wouldn't like to see him as a recurring character too often.

Other thoughts:

+ I also like how the Elite Guard's insignia is different from the other Autobots. :)
+ The transformation animation was a lot better than the lazy transformation animation that we saw in previous eps!
+ New plotline for upcoming eps: AllSpark Quest! Reminds me of the premise for Inuyasha! ;)
+ Sentinel Prime is nothing like his G1 namesake - he's a complete JERK! He was in previous eps, but he was even more obnoxious here. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way - I think it's kinda interesting to have a bully on the Autobots' team. It's definitely a new idea that we haven't seen before in Transformers. I like how Ultra Magnus put him in his place at the end too. There's going to be some interesting moments between Sentinel and Optimus Prime - and I hope that he doesn't remain as a stagnant archetype. I would like to see writers develop the Sentinel Prime character further, whether he becomes Prime's friend or enemy - I would like to see further development.
+ Aaah, the Sari conspiracy continues! :D :)

MV75
13th April 2008, 11:22 AM
It says a lot when I say that I liked bumblebee much more than sentinel prime. :)

Yes, the sari plot does indeed continue. ;)

And yea, the professor was not injured it seems.

Also did anyone else get tinglings of the thought of shockwave when megatron was talking about the space bridge and cybertron? :)
________
Ford versailles (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Versailles)

kup
13th April 2008, 11:23 AM
I also liked this episode very much for similar reasons as Gok.

However I am not a big fan of Sentinel Prime, his 'Office Jerk' style attitude annoys me a bit but it wasn't too bad.

I am also happy that the Decepticons are now loose on Earth. I hope this helps to have more Transformer type episodes (Bots vs Cons) instead of the mega crap Human Super Villain ones that in my view almost killed Season 1 as they were awful and plenty.

There are still silly 'generics' stuff that makes me roll eyes a bit such as the 'Cyber Ninja' stuff but it wasn't killer bitterness inducing stuff like Professor Princess.

I would have like the Dinobots to have more than just yet another token appereance but that's about it, overall it was a good episode, not fantastic but definitly very good.

I think that the Sari thing is pretty much confirmed now, she is some sort of Cyborg. PRETENDAH!!!

SilverDragon
13th April 2008, 07:59 PM
I really liked this episode, although I want Sentinal to be in immense pain because he annoys me so.

I wish the Dinobots got more of an appearence. Lately they've just been mindless psychos who show up and then vanish.

Robzy
13th April 2008, 09:09 PM
Great episode!!! I LOVE Jazz!!!! He not only looks awesome, but he's a great character too! :D Sentinel is a jerk! :rolleyes:

It's great to see Ultra Magnus, but I wish the "supreme leader" was Alpha Trion instead!

goro
13th April 2008, 11:31 PM
finally! ultra magnus gets the position he deserves.. ... ive had a love for ultra magnus from teh start.. now he gets the position he deserves!

liegeprime
14th April 2008, 08:36 AM
OK so Now Ultra Magnus finally can deal with it. :)) Nice incarnation being Thor Like in powers. Id like to see his toy heheheh!

STL
14th April 2008, 11:21 AM
I loved this episode. It was great.

Little Sari wasn't overbearing and the twist w/ her is becoming very interesting though I suspect I know where it's going. She may not be so dis-similar to Black Arachnia after all.

It was great to see Optmus shine under the eyes of Ultra Magnus. I couldn't quite place it at first but then I realised why I was really enjoying Optimus take command. It's the beginning of Optimus' growth as a respected leader in the Autobot ranks. I suspect that Ultra Magnus may end up dying, paving the way for Optimus to take on the mantle of Autobot commander

I have to say, unlike you all, I LOVE Sentinel Prime. He's not the Sentinel Prime I want to see in the IDW comics but he's a unique character. We've never had this annoying a character with substance. Characters like Wheelie were failed characters. The writers wanted us to like them. Sentinel Prime though is a character we don't want to like. And I think he adds that sharp contrast to team dynamics. In real life, I'd hate this guy, but I love him as a character b/c he gives more depth and significance to the other characters. I think an interesting part is watching whether or not he ends respecting Optimus. A great deal of character potential brimming there.

Jazz looks visually sweet and laid back. I dig that. But character-wise I felt he was the weakest of the three.

Ultra Magnus is a tougher one for me. I love the leader vibe, the classic head mould, his alt mode and the hammer but then there's the hammer which screams way too much Thor for my liking. But that's just me, I guess, since I'm a massive Marvel comics' Thor fan. The other thing I've begun to notice is that many of the characters in this line possess less conventional TF weaponry (IE. guns) which really appeals to me. Ultra Magnus' presence was well done too. Everything he says is simple and to the point. Great portrayal. My only quibble is that I would've like shoulder missiles to go w/ it too.

And also, i want to say that the TFA need to take this episode as a template. They were able to preserve the humour of this w/ belittling the audience's intelligence. I found it quite humourous but logical why the TFs would want to worry about contamination from organic life forms.

Great episode and I got to say I'm hooked. After I watched this ep, i clicked on the RiD episode and found it to be unbearable. :(

kup
14th April 2008, 12:16 PM
Great episode and I got to say I'm hooked. After I watched this ep, i clicked on the RiD episode and found it to be unbearable. :(

Although I overall liked the last 3 episodes, I am still not overall convinced about this series, the bad heavily outnumbers the good in my opinion and the bad wasn't just bad but it was freaking awful.

Until I see these sorts of episodes as the "Template" as STL puts it, I am not going to like it as a few good episodes does not make a good series.

i_amtrunks
14th April 2008, 01:36 PM
I quite enjoyed this episode. It was a little bad for spelling out what is was setting up for the next 13 episodes or so, but I can tolerate that because it portrayed all the characters fairly well.

They did make it very easy to hate Sentinel, so I expect a big amount of character development for him (perhaps in conjunction with the 2 Academy bots he seems to have forgotten), to turn him into a more sympathetic character. Personally I'd like to see him change a little but remain mostly a jerk still.

Jazz was awesomesauce, having a more advanced Ninja will be fun, and his voice actor nailed his voice perfectly. Same goes for Magnus, he acts and sounds like an older leader, who still has plenty of battle nuance. Only slightly annoyed with his weapon, having a weapon that powers up from Thunderstorms makes no sense when Cybertron does not have storms...

Dinobots were underdone and took it far too easy on Sentinel, considering they were going to destroy him and all. Nice to know we will be seeing more of them due to Omega Supreme (whoops, I mean the Ark) being on Dinobot Island.

Was anyone else expecting Blurr and Wreck-Gar (if not more) to be on Magnus's ship? Considering he is the supreme Autobot Military Commander one would think he would have a larger contingent of soldiers at his immediate disposal, especially considering how inept Sentinel seems to be. I wonder how Blurr, Wreck-Gar and others will be arriving on Earth?

And good to see the Decepticons taking their time to recover, especially considering they seem to have limited resources in which to repair themselves. The Decepticons too must have back up troops coming to supplement them in the not too distant future, otherwise they will stand no chance against the ever increasing number of Autobots.

And kudos to all those who picked Sari was not human much earlier on in the series.

1orion2many
14th April 2008, 01:51 PM
I was always taught, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all:p:D.

Gutsman Heavy
14th April 2008, 02:13 PM
Count me in the "Sentinel Prime is awesome" Club

and RE:Wreck-Gar not being on the ship
SPOILERS
He is created from the allspark, most likely a shard that hits a garbage truck.
SPOILERS

dunno about Blurr.

MV75
14th April 2008, 02:42 PM
I actually want to see sentinel confront black arachnia. :)

Yes, I also do see the character development happening where he'll become the "he's not that bad a guy afterall" thing happening.
________
Suzuki re5 specifications (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_RE5)

autobreadticon
14th April 2008, 03:38 PM
this episode intorduced new transformers, all with unique personalities , great for future episodes. Also the introduction of new story archs left alot of unanswered questions that will playout in future episodes. So overall good episode.

Bartrim
16th April 2008, 01:23 PM
I thought Ironhide was supposed to be in the elite guard too?

Paulbot
11th May 2008, 08:58 PM
I enjoyed this episode and I think in part if was because there were so many Transformers in it. I don't mind the smaller cast but I got a buzz from seeing the regular Bots, the Elite Guard and the Dinobots. And a group of Decepticons in their little cave. Ultra Magnus's G1-like voice was pretty cool too IMHO.

Only slightly annoyed with his weapon, having a weapon that powers up from Thunderstorms makes no sense when Cybertron does not have storms...
Maybe Animated Cybertron does have storms? It was good to see a bit of Cybertron and I wonder if the series will get there eventually.

Soundwarp
8th June 2008, 01:58 PM
God i hate Sentinel Prime!

Plus damm Untra Magnus is cool!!!!