PDA

View Full Version : Restoring damaged clear plastic

Doubledealer
20th October 2010, 03:02 PM
After much searching I've found a nice, easy-to-follow guide on how to restore clear plastic: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plasitc-model-kits-how-tos/how-to-repair-clear-parts-on-plastic-model-kits/

The Novus Plastic Polish can be bought relatively cheaply on ebay from this chap: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Novus-Plastic-Polish-2oz-Kit-/160493991704?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item255e2ff718

I've since bought a kit (great to see it comes with a polishing cream as well as the scratch remover!) and will be giving it a whirl on some parts when it arrives. Will update the thread in due course.

kup
20th October 2010, 06:41 PM
After much searching I've found a nice, easy-to-follow guide on how to restore clear plastic: http://www.oldmodelkits.com/blog/plasitc-model-kits-how-tos/how-to-repair-clear-parts-on-plastic-model-kits/

The Novus Plastic Polish can be bought relatively cheaply on ebay from this chap: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Novus-Plastic-Polish-2oz-Kit-/160493991704?pt=AU_CoinOp&hash=item255e2ff718

I've since bought a kit (great to see it comes with a polishing cream as well as the scratch remover!) and will be giving it a whirl on some parts when it arrives. Will update the thread in due course.

That's very interesting.Since polishing removes a tiny layer of of the surface of the plastic, does that mean that it can restore yellowed toys?

Even on severe cases, the yellowing is often very superficial.

It also seems very good for getting rid of scratches from play worn toys without noticeable damage.

gamblor916
20th October 2010, 06:52 PM
I have a set of Novus polish, hardly used that I don't need. If anyone wants to try let me know.

kup
20th October 2010, 10:32 PM
I have a set of Novus polish, hardly used that I don't need. If anyone wants to try let me know.

I'll take it if you don't mind. There are a couple of scratched toys that I have which I would not mind trying it on.

Doubledealer
22nd October 2010, 01:01 AM
I really hope this stuff works, if it does it'll be the best discovery since sli...er, hydrogen peroxide. :D

Doubledealer
27th October 2010, 07:54 PM
I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Before:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/Doubledealer_83/scorchedearth.jpg

After:
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/Doubledealer_83/scorchhealed.jpg

1AZRAEL1
28th October 2010, 09:31 AM
Wow that looks much better.

Kup, if you try the stuff on yellowed figures, let us know how it turns out. I wonder if it would work better on Triggerhappy without it causing the problem we had with H2O2. I may have to get myself some to see what happens.

And looking at it, it should work on cd's as well, might be worth it to restore some of my cds that are scratched.

gamblor916
28th October 2010, 09:55 AM
Looks much better. It's tedious work but it's worth it.

Eruntalon
28th October 2010, 08:11 PM
I wonder if this would be worth it for me to restore a recent acquisition of mine's clear plastic. As you can see the windshield is in multiple sections with painted over lines making a good and proper buffing of the canopy awkward:

gamblor916
28th October 2010, 08:21 PM
Mask over the lines with a good low tack tape. Tamiya tape is very good.

Eruntalon
28th October 2010, 08:26 PM
Mask over the lines with a good low tack tape. Tamiya tape is very good.

I have some of that. If I get some of the buffing agent then I'll give it a try.

Doubledealer
28th October 2010, 11:27 PM
Honestly guys, give it a go. You won't be disappointed, I promise you! The more coats of the Fine Scratch Remover you use the better it gets too. The first coat looks a bit foggy, the second coat looks a lot better and then the difference is staggering. I did some more coats of scratch reemover on Scorch after the photo's posted and then appllied the Novus plastic clean & shine too. It looks amazing now!

I also restored a pretty badly scratched Darkwing canopy and Red Alert windshield and they look so much better now, a million times better than they were before. If you have access to a Dremel the little circular buffing pads make buffing much easier (and more fun!). This guide is the discovery of the millenium (canned chicken's not bad though)!

Eruntalon, I can safely say you can fix that jet canopy. You'll be able to have it looking a million dollars, most likely in about 20 minutes work. :) 1AZRAEL1, the stuff works on just about anything but one of the things they mention on the packing is cleaning CD's so yes, it would be ideal for this purpose.

One thing I would say is to wet-sand up to 1200-1600 grade paper for an even smoother finish. I can't wait for you guys to try it though, I think you'll really be impressed!

bruticus
29th October 2010, 01:18 PM
results look good.
thanks for the link Doublebealer. i've just bought a set of novus. i'll give it a go later.

If you have access to a Dremel the little circular buffing pads make buffing much easier (and more fun!).

which buffing attachment did you use? cos last time i tried the buffing attachment on my dremel, it tore through my plastic, even when set on very low speeds! i ended up having to use elbow grease instead for the buffing.

One thing I would say is to wet-sand up to 1200-1600 grade paper for an even smoother finish.

so you apply 1200/1600 grit wet sandpapaer before or after buffing with novus?

Doubledealer
29th October 2010, 10:21 PM
results look good.
thanks for the link Doublebealer. i've just bought a set of novus. i'll give it a go later.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing how you go with it. :)

which buffing attachment did you use? cos last time i tried the buffing attachment on my dremel, it tore through my plastic, even when set on very low speeds! i ended up having to use elbow grease instead for the buffing.

Just the standard little cylinder type ones that came with the basic Dremel 300 kit. On the lowest setting (2) when I'm buffing it would offen slow the Dremel right down to the point of it stopping every now and then. I'd even do this with the G1 Red Alert windshield, as long as you have your finger supporting the underside there's no feeling that it's ever gonna break or do any damage!

So you apply 1200/1600 grit wet sandpapaer before or after buffing with novus?

You'll be doing all the sanding prior to using the Novus liquids. You can always go back and start the process from scratch but applying the Novus liquid and buffing will always be the last steps you do for the final run.

It's a bit hard to know what it was like before as I didn't take a before shot but here's Darkwing's new canopy (which was scratched to all buggery) after applying the Sanovmel (sand-novus-dremel) treatment. The shot was taken right after finishing the process (thus the tiny water bubbles seen inside the cockpit). Not bad eh (infact this whole toy was a complete wreck when I got it, so pleased with how it looks now though!)?

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu332/Doubledealer_83/Transformers/darkwing.jpg