PDA

View Full Version : Ghost MP Starscream at ToysRUs $250

primatives
21st October 2010, 09:50 AM
hey just saw this on tfw2005 but pricey!!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-ghost-starscream-released-at-australian-retail-170764/

Paulbot
21st October 2010, 10:33 AM
It's reported here too on our First Sightings thread. I would have thought one of the moderators would make a news thread from it.

gantz
21st October 2010, 10:34 AM
Do you bother to check the Sightings section at all?

Sharky
21st October 2010, 10:46 AM
i think it was posted here first... although not at moore park toys r us ...... :p

primatives
21st October 2010, 11:02 AM
Do you bother to check the Sightings section at all?

no i just like to repost old news

Krayt
21st October 2010, 12:17 PM
I checked out G.Screamer today.... interesting that it has no Hasbro AU information on it, or US or anything. Is just the straight Japanese release box.

I'm pointing this out as the white information panel on MP Magnus was covered over with an English sticker containing Hasbro AU information, a disclaimer on how it was imported in Japanese Packaging, and Contact for instructions, or look at your 20th Ani Prime for them.

Also should point out that their is NO COMIC included.

griffin
21st October 2010, 12:41 PM
hey just saw this on tfw2005 but pricey!!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-ghost-starscream-released-at-australian-retail-170764/

Yeah, I posted it there yesterday, and 5 1/2 hours later someone else posted it and it was front-paged...

It's reported here too on our First Sightings thread. I would have thought one of the moderators would make a news thread from it.

I was going to today if no one else did. I don't want to be greedy - I try to let others have a chance at posting up news and getting the credit.
(editted the title though)

Although in this instance, does this price-gouging deserve to be promoted in a news item...

Tallestblue
21st October 2010, 01:30 PM
No, it most certainly does not. Although If MP Rodimus were available at Toys R Us at $250 would we be complaining?

jaydisc
21st October 2010, 01:44 PM
New domestic release = new news article, regardless of pricing or discussion in sightings.

Especially a domestic TakaraTomy release.

heroic_decepticon
21st October 2010, 07:54 PM
These critters are all over HK and no one seems to be buying them. Average price is appox $580 to $650 HKD. The AU$250 price tag just seems appalling.

5FDP
21st October 2010, 08:02 PM
With the Aussie dollar going great-guns ATM, I don't know why anyone would pay this price instead of getting it online. TRU are well known for their incredibly inflated prices but this is ridiculous!

gdmetro
21st October 2010, 09:52 PM
With the Aussie dollar going great-guns ATM, I don't know why anyone would pay this price instead of getting it online. TRU are well known for their incredibly inflated prices but this is ridiculous!

That price is outrageous and just literally a rip-off. It's so insulting. Wow and I just double checked it. At the current exchange rate, I can buy not one, but TWO ghost starscreams shipped to my doorstep from RobotKingdom and that ends up less than $250AUD. THIS IS BEYOND LUDICROUS.

Although I guess we Aussie collectors should be used to those kinds of ridiculous prices by now. :mad:

I sincerely hope no one buys it at that price. I am assuming that if it does get purchased, it would most likely be a person whom does not care about money, or does not know about Ebay/online stores.

Because barring those factors, who would rationally/sensibly go and purchase this figure at that price, especially when importing it is significantly cheaper/convenient?

This really begs the question- Why do we pay so damn much for tfs compared to other countries? Discuss.

optimus1
22nd October 2010, 12:35 AM
This is absolutely shocking :mad:

They must be thinking: its clear + exclusive + big = let's charge whatever the dice rolls and multiply by 50!

jaydisc
22nd October 2010, 09:46 PM
What really sucks is that as a result of this stupid price, these will likely not sell, which will adversely affect the chances of us getting more TakaraTomy exclusives domestically.

LordCyrusOmega
22nd October 2010, 10:02 PM
Even without the exchange rate we pay less then that. I wasn't entirely positive that Hasbro MP Grimlock was worth $150 but paid that but $250?
This will shelfwarm for a long time. I can't think of anyone who would pay that, I'm almost certain the average parent wouldn't pay that.

I remember way back in the day (6 years ago) when the only store i brought my toys at were TRU. Now i only go in there as a last resort.

snazzbot 101
22nd October 2010, 10:26 PM
Even without the exchange rate we pay less then that. I wasn't entirely positive that Hasbro MP Grimlock was worth $150 but paid that but $250?
This will shelfwarm for a long time. I can't think of anyone who would pay that, I'm almost certain the average parent wouldn't pay that.

I remember way back in the day (6 years ago) when the only store i brought my toys at were TRU. Now i only go in there as a last resort.

It does make me wonder what they believe the market is for such a thing, at such a price. It's not a children's toy - it's a toy for collectors like us - and collectors like us can buy it with a few clicks of a mouse.

The mold has grown on me, and I have some unexplainable Want for translucent figures, but there's a threshold for such things and that is way, way before $250.

hound
23rd October 2010, 01:34 AM
There were a few at Chatswood last night.

i think it was posted here first... although not at moore park toys r us ...... :p

Paul Agnew
24th October 2010, 12:46 PM
Who remembers back a year or two ago when regular MP Starscream was released at TRU for $99? When in-store yesterday, the employee agreed when I said it was a bit pricey.

Krayt
24th October 2010, 01:47 PM
I'd say at least one a day is moving off the northland shelves....

i_amtrunks
24th October 2010, 05:34 PM
They'll sell some at that price to people who do not know how cheaply (comparatively) they can get the figure online.

But I wonder how long they'll sit on shelves until the get reduced ala the G1 reissues?

1AZRAEL1
25th October 2010, 10:07 AM
It is a stupid price. No way will I be paying that amount of money on this figure. And considering they don't do Layby, they have lost alot of my business and will continue to. And I too only go there as a last resort. Besides, they are further behind in the Waves than the other stores.

Sharky
25th October 2010, 10:18 AM
It is a stupid price. No way will I be paying that amount of money on this figure. And considering they don't do Layby, they have lost alot of my business and will continue to. And I too only go there as a last resort. Besides, they are further behind in the Waves than the other stores.

my local just restocked on wave 1 generations............ they really suck

SGB
27th October 2010, 04:03 PM
$250 is an insanely ridiculous price.

Hursticon
27th October 2010, 04:11 PM
How is TRU even still in business in this country? :confused:

They no longer do Lay-by or Play-by, their prices are highly inflated across all the stock they carry (i.e. not just TFs) and they have very few store locations.

The staff at Wollongong TRU often seem like they care very little about customers as I've had a number of situations where they'd not even look at me whilst talking (I know I'm not pretty but c'mon :p).

Marketing and Business decisions like that of Ghostly Starscream, further my feeling that they're trying to get shutdown. :confused:

LordCyrusOmega
27th October 2010, 04:39 PM
Marketing and Business decisions like that of Ghostly Starscream, further my feeling that they're trying to get shutdown. :confused:

Trying to get shut down? TRU Wollongong is so far off the beaten track that it took me about 3 months to work out where it was.

They use to be so friendly, I'd always have a chat with them and they let me know when new stuff was coming in. Nowadays they have next to nothing in stock and what they do have is drastically marked up.

Might pop over there on the weekend and 'try' to have a chat with them. Maybe if enough of us say something it might make something happen.

the weather in my world is nice today as well

SGB
27th October 2010, 08:20 PM
TRU Wollongong is so far off the beaten track that it took me about 3 months to work out where it was.
LOL, really?

I had no problem finding them.

LordCyrusOmega
27th October 2010, 09:07 PM
LOL, really?

I had no problem finding them.

Where they were and where they (being other people) told me they were were 2 different things. But then i wasn't looking very hard cause i wasn't collecting at the time. Just annoying cause i couldn't find it.

mknell
2nd November 2010, 03:46 PM
Funny thing popped by Toys'r'us today and no Starscreams left when the other day there were 4, so some clueless people went to buy them

Hursticon
2nd November 2010, 05:43 PM
Funny thing popped by Toys'r'us today and no Starscreams left when the other day there were 4, so some clueless people went to buy them

LOL, I bet they're either Scalpers or very Ill informed fans. :D

JuzMel
3rd November 2010, 03:06 PM
Just saw a lone one at Chaddy yesteday, took it to scan and then put it back and immediately one dude picked it up and went off with it. :p

gdmetro
3rd November 2010, 04:23 PM
Just saw a lone one at Chaddy yesteday, took it to scan and then put it back and immediately one dude picked it up and went off with it. :p

Wow...:eek:

I wonder if it is right in that situation to inform him of the inflated nature of that price.

TF76
3rd November 2010, 07:14 PM
I still haven't seen one (not that I would buy it at that price anyway) I even missed masterpiece grimlock, I was looking for that too, maybe i just don't scout enough anymore.

5FDP
3rd November 2010, 08:15 PM
I even missed masterpiece grimlock, I was looking for that too, maybe i just don't scout enough anymore.

Just get it from RK. It would be less than what TRU are selling it for including shipping.

UltraMarginal
15th December 2010, 04:46 PM
$250 is a ridiculous price, I totally agree, though as people have demonstrated there are plenty out there who are willing to shell over the cash.

Think about Myer, most of their stock seems to be 10% above retail price compared to most stores and much higher than big W yet come boxing day there is barely a toy left on their shelves. I personally think there are a lot of people out there who work so many long hours that they are willing to spend big on presents for their kids on a regular basis as a way of apology for never being around because they work too much. Places like Myer and TRU prey on this, these people don't have time to look online and they make enough that the cost is insignificant. That's the target demographic, and though the careful (read tight like me :D) collector won't spend that sort of cash, we don't fit into their target demographic, especially when they can fill and empty their shelves at those prices, without our help.

heroic_decepticon
16th December 2010, 03:16 AM
Ghost MP SS is certainly not flying off the shelves here in HK. There is one or many in almost every shop and now the price is as low as HKD$580 in some instances...

VERT
16th December 2010, 08:18 AM
Ghost MP SS is certainly not flying off the shelves here in HK. There is one or many in almost every shop and now the price is as low as HKD$580 in some instances...

Ever think of doing a group order?

liegeprime
16th December 2010, 08:59 AM
Wow that's quite cheaper. Certainly beats the local TRU price - I really dont get it since MOP Grimlock was $150 only, jeez they really are Toy's R' Expensive As.

@Vert- I dont think a group order would make it cheaper though since postage will be still high due to the bulkiness of the box:(