PDA

View Full Version : TF: United Drift and Grapple

primatives
21st October 2010, 10:28 AM
Man I'm REALLY happy that their going to the extra effort to make these different with different head sculpts and not going for a straight repaint!!! Goon work HASBRO!!!!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/transformers-united-grapple-images-170768/

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-generations-classics-30-35/transformers-united-drift-images-170766/

Grapple looks cool with those antennas :)

Drift looks really white can't remember if the hasbro one is slightly less white I haven't opened mine its been put away.

Golden Phoenix
21st October 2010, 11:31 AM
ugh. Now I have to decide.
Hasbro's horrible yellow but a nicer looking head
Or
Takara's nicer yellow but bad looking head.
I know its a more accurate deco but it just looks weird. Makes him pretty much all yellow. Yuck

GoktimusPrime
21st October 2010, 12:53 PM
I know its a more accurate deco but it just looks weird. Makes him pretty much all yellow. Yuck
Considering that the toy came first the black head is technically more G1 accurate. Hence I prefer the toy-accurate Hasbro head, so I'll be going for that version.

Man I'm REALLY happy that their going to the extra effort to make these different with different head sculpts and not going for a straight repaint!!! Goon work HASBRO!!!!
Hired goons. ;)

It's not just a different head with Grapple, the alt mode parts and forearms are different from Inferno too. So it's a fairly extensive retool. :) The white on United Drift looks the same as Generations Drift to me - but the additional paint decos on the toy look quite nice. Not nice enough for me to get another Drift mind you... but it is nice. (^_^)

griffin
21st October 2010, 01:06 PM
JP Grapple is more cartoon accurate with the orange head - US Grappel is more toy accurate with a black head.

And shiney bits... I might have to double up on these Gen1 characters again.

kaiden
21st October 2010, 01:08 PM
ugh. Now I have to decide.
Hasbro's horrible yellow but a nicer looking head
Or
Takara's nicer yellow but bad looking head.

buy both and swap their heads.

jaydisc
21st October 2010, 01:46 PM
They both have the crappy gray windows. I'm not convinced this is final TT. It's not metallic :p

Lord_Zed
22nd October 2010, 01:11 PM
I think I like the united Grapple better, but only because his orange head helps him look more different to Inferno.

Overall I think he's very so-so looking.

gekisou
22nd October 2010, 02:10 PM
I'm sticking to the Hasbro version. Prefer the black head.

GoktimusPrime
22nd October 2010, 02:50 PM
Same here. Aside from my personal preference for toy-accuracy, I think the black head is better off-set by Grappel's amber body. But I suppose Grapple's amber head might look better when standing next to Inferno (much like how Henkei Alert probably looks better next to Sideswipe and Sunstreaker compared to Universe Red Alert).

Zippo
23rd October 2010, 07:06 PM
And another United version that just looks better. I do prefer the orange head as well, though could also see myself getting a Hasbro version and removing the head from it to switch in and out.

Drift - few extra paint apps are nice but not a reason to get him over the Generations one. And being more bone white might actually be an issue in the future.

1AZRAEL1
25th October 2010, 09:15 AM
Not bad, but I will buy the Hasbro version Grapple over TT version. The black head makes him less orange, which I think can be too much.

kaiden
2nd November 2010, 01:42 AM
New pictures of Reveal the Shield Grapple

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-hand-pictures-of-reveal-the-shield-grapple/20133/

Oilspill
2nd November 2010, 05:31 AM
I think I'll be getting the United version if it doesn't cost too much more. The yellow head will differentiate him from Inferno on the shelf more.

Also. While I prefer the black head breaking up the overall colour scheme in the Hasbro version, I just don't like the head itself in black. That sculpt in black doesn't say "Grapple" to me. In yellow though, it does.

It's probably because the sculpt is based on the cartoon, not the toy. Hence yellow is the more G1 accurate colour.

GoktimusPrime
2nd November 2010, 12:02 PM
It's probably because the sculpt is based on the cartoon, not the toy. Hence yellow is the more G1 accurate colour.

No, the black is more G1 accurate. Remember that the G1 toy came before the cartoon. The amber head may be more G1 cartoon-like (or 'cartoon accurate'), but remember that the cartoon is based on the toys and the toys came first. Also, Grapple had a black head in the comics too. If you prefer show likeness, then yeah sure, go for the TOMY version. But technically the black head is G1 toy and comic accurate.

Oilspill
2nd November 2010, 01:59 PM
No, the black is more G1 accurate. Remember that the G1 toy came before the cartoon. The amber head may be more G1 cartoon-like (or 'cartoon accurate'), but remember that the cartoon is based on the toys and the toys came first. Also, Grapple had a black head in the comics too. If you prefer show likeness, then yeah sure, go for the TOMY version. But technically the black head is G1 toy and comic accurate.

Which came first has no bearing. The headsculpt is styled after the cartoon, not the toy. Hence yellow is more G1 accurate. :D

griffin
2nd November 2010, 02:46 PM
I agree - if the shape/sculpt of the new Grappel toy head is replicating a particular version (comic, toy, cartoon, etc), then an 'accurate' colouring would have to be whatever colour was used in that particular original version.
If the head is indeed based on the cartoon version, then orange would of course be its 'accurate' colour...
If the colour is black, than the head should have been sculpted to look like the original (black) toy head.
Now which Unite/RTS version is colour-accurate to the intended homage head sculpting? It sounds like it's TakaraTomy, again...

Hursticon
2nd November 2010, 05:47 PM
Gees!, c'mon guys - splitting hairs over G1 accuracy much? ;):D

I just like the fact that the Head Sculpt differs from Inferno. :cool:

Quickstrike
2nd November 2010, 08:57 PM
Grapple had a Black head in the cartoon sometimes.

GoktimusPrime
2nd November 2010, 11:18 PM
Yeah, he had a black head in the episode "Auto Beserk", but most other times his head was amber.

Which came first has no bearing. The headsculpt is styled after the cartoon, not the toy. Hence yellow is more G1 accurate.
Okay, I'll give you that. I still prefer the black head though as it breaks up the amber colour of the body. The amber head on the United toy makes the whole thing look too bland to me. But I will admit that it would probably offset better when displayed next to Inferno. So I think both versions have their merits, so it's a matter of personal preference really. :D Although it wouldn't surprise me if TOMY's version came with a chrome hook which would look pretty freaking sweet. :)

Robzy
2nd November 2010, 11:36 PM
Methinks I will just grab the first one I see... neither version is "blowing me away" so much that I prefer it over the other.

Oilspill
3rd November 2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he had a black head in the episode "Auto Beserk", but most other times his head was amber.

Okay, I'll give you that. I still prefer the black head though as it breaks up the amber colour of the body. The amber head on the United toy makes the whole thing look too bland to me. But I will admit that it would probably offset better when displayed next to Inferno. So I think both versions have their merits, so it's a matter of personal preference really. :D Although it wouldn't surprise me if TOMY's version came with a chrome hook which would look pretty freaking sweet. :)

I totally agree!

lcz128
3rd November 2010, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately united doesnt seem to be getting any chrome at all.. Nice silver paint or metallic finishes is as far as they're going. Still great and doesn't actually stop me from making things chrome when I want it though... (:
I have my own grapple already, but at this rate, when the 'real' grapple is released, mine can just become Hauler, hey?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/August2009050_S2.jpg

GoktimusPrime
3rd November 2010, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately united doesnt seem to be getting any chrome at all.. Nice silver paint or metallic finishes is as far as they're going. Still great and doesn't actually stop me from making things chrome when I want it though... (:
Nice metallic silver would still look better than nothing (Hasbro's version just looks to be amber :/) - and better than the cheap gray that Hasbro used on their G1 reissue Autobot Grapple. <shudder>

I have my own grapple already, but at this rate, when the 'real' grapple is released, mine can just become Hauler, hey?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/th_August2009050_S2.jpg

Perhaps you could repaint the head Constructicon-green as a nod to Road Hauler. After all, Hauler's head _could_ have been green in the cartoon since we never see him in robot mode (unless you believe that the Grapple-looking robot in Autobot City in TFTM is Hauler :p)

1AZRAEL1
3rd November 2010, 09:16 AM
Although it wouldn't surprise me if TOMY's version came with a chrome hook which would look pretty freaking sweet. :)

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1287659441_TF_United_Grapple_bot.jpg

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1287659441_TF_united_grapple_alt.png

Looks chrome to me, but I may just chrome mine up on Hasbros Grapple :D

Lord_Zed
3rd November 2010, 01:09 PM
From those pics I still think it's not chrome, there's no colour refelcting on the hook, I think it's just shiny cause of the flash. Still it looks fine as a decent metalic colour rather than grey.

1AZRAEL1
3rd November 2010, 02:02 PM
We'll have to see better pictures. It may be chrome but the pictures aren't good enough to give a definite answer. Though IMO, they look chrome to me. Just have to wait and see new pictures which I guess will be soon.

Quickstrike
3rd November 2010, 10:47 PM

I didn't realise it was only in one episode before I checked the wiki! One episode counts as "sometimes" though right? Right?

Hrmm.

GoktimusPrime
3rd November 2010, 11:06 PM
At 24 frames per second -- YES! :D

kaiden
8th November 2010, 09:41 AM
video review of solar storm grapple which includes comparison to inferno.

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-video-review-of-reveal-the-shield-solar-storm-grapple/20160/

a pretty good review highlighting the differences.

1AZRAEL1
8th November 2010, 10:17 AM
Quite a few molding differences on it than I noticed before. Good to see that.

kaiden
8th November 2010, 01:19 PM
Quite a few molding differences on it than I noticed before. Good to see that.

indeed. but the annoyances are the arm/wrist guards that cannot be rotated up and the bulky crane in robot mode - that would have been nice if detachable.

1AZRAEL1
8th November 2010, 01:51 PM
indeed. but the annoyances are the arm/wrist guards that cannot be rotated up and the bulky crane in robot mode - that would have been nice if detachable.

I had noticed that arm guards can't twist. That is a shame. The crane will be a pain, but having it aimed up should at least give it a better display mode. I'll probably just remove it from mine anyway.

Oilspill
8th November 2010, 02:01 PM
and the bulky crane in robot mode - that would have been nice if detachable.

The crane will be detachable, I expect it's just on a roundish (maybe octagonal IIRC) peg, like Inferno's water cannon. Would have been cool if you could attach it to his back instead though.