PDA

View Full Version : MOTU Questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

kup
2nd November 2010, 08:57 PM
Please feel free to ask any questions relating to Masters of the Universe in this thread. Other more knowledgeable fans may be kind enough to provide an answer.

The idea for this thread came due to the very limited amount of info in general about the MOTU toy lines on the Internet. Doing something similar as in the Kup's Questions seems reasonable.

I will start:

Today I received Castle Grayskull Version 1 of the MOTU 200X line. As you can see in my collection pics, I already own MOTUx V2 but I was really curious about the Action Chip features of the first release so I jumped when a cheap v1 appeared on Ebay.

The thing is that only a few of my MOTUx figures seem to be able to interact with it. I was under the impression that first wave toys such as regular Man At Arms, He-Man and Skeletor plus others worked but my figures of those characters don't have action chips.

I am only able to use the following figures:

- Orko (only one able to open Hall of Secrets)
- Teela (gold)
- Ram Man
- Mekaneck

And that's it. I also read that Stratos also interacts with it but nothing with my own. At first I suspected that my figures had damaged chips but then I noticed that the figures that do work, have a 'square lid' housing the chip on the soles of their feet while the none working ones don't have it.

Does anyone have some insight on why my figures (which are shown on the Castle Grayskull v1 box and are not repaints) do not have action chips?

Does anyone know or can give us a list of figures that do?

Thanks

Sharky
3rd November 2010, 08:29 AM
from memory i think there are more figures but the figures were released with and without chips depending on the market most figures released here had no chips.

kup
3rd November 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks Sharky. Well clearly it does appear that some first release toys that were normally advertised as having Action Chips clearly don't.

I just wish I had an Evil warrior that activates the castles' traps. At this point I only have good guys that work. I am a little disapointed that He-Man and Skeletor don't have chips but I have read that other 'something something armor' releases do.

Tallestblue
3rd November 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Sharky. Well clearly it does appear that some first release toys that were normally advertised as having Action Chips clearly don't.

I just wish I had an Evil warrior that activates the castles' traps. At this point I only have good guys that work. I am a little disapointed that He-Man and Skeletor don't have chips but I have read that other 'something something armor' releases do.

Heh. He-Man and Skeletor with "Something Something Armour!"
From Mattel!!

Sam
3rd November 2010, 07:43 PM
Is Fisto the brother of Man-At-Arms?

And which one is really Teela's father?

The 200X series of the cartoon seemed to hint at this, but the series was discontinued before we got some final answers...

(or perhaps I am just not as knowledgeable as some of you - I reckon this is closer to the truth, heheh)

kup
3rd November 2010, 08:17 PM
Although the series was cancelled before those subplots were tied up, Larry DeTillio (also from BW fame) mentioned that the never to be Season 3 would of revealed Fisto as Teela's true father and Man-At-Arms brother.

They also mentioned that She-Ra would have been introduced. Too bad that 21st Cartoons have a tendency to be cancelled just as they are reaching their peak.

liegeprime
3rd November 2010, 10:05 PM
there's two versions of castle grayskull in the 200x line? Anyone there that have it and can post pics/comparisons? I thought there was only 1:o..

kup
3rd November 2010, 10:17 PM
there's two versions of castle grayskull in the 200x line? Anyone there that have it and can post pics/comparisons? I thought there was only 1:o..

I'll take comparison pics in the next few days and post them. Although both look very similar overall, there are actually considerable differences between the two which makes each version unique.

Version 2.0 has considerably different and greater play value due to a large number of gimmicks but 1.0 has some features in it which are actually very cool and arguably better than any single gimmick from the second version. In a sense both can be regarded as different toys as each offers their own play experience.

Sam
4th November 2010, 03:45 PM
Although the series was cancelled before those subplots were tied up, Larry DeTillio (also from BW fame) mentioned that the never to be Season 3 would of revealed Fisto as Teela's true father and Man-At-Arms brother.

They also mentioned that She-Ra would have been introduced. Too bad that 21st Cartoons have a tendency to be cancelled just as they are reaching their peak.

Thanks kup. One thing I liked about MOTU was that the storyline and who's related to who made it interesting. :)

kup
5th November 2010, 02:07 PM

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/2010%20Acquisition/AugustAcquisition015.jpg

Based on this pic of yours from the acquisitions thread, you have the v2 release of Castle Grayskull - The one with manually activated sounds and gimmicks.

The weekend has turned out busier than expected for me but I will try to take those comparison pics as soon as I can. Actually, I may have to do some kind of video so that I can show you the gimmicks of v1 Castle Grayskull, they are pretty cool if you have the right figures.

kup
7th November 2010, 07:21 PM
Comparison between the two castles here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=203017#post203017) - Lots of Pics

liegeprime
7th November 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the extensive demo kup, Im glad I got the V2 of Grayskull. The voice they used is kinda annoying, doesnt fit grayskull's theme at all, should have been more lower voiced, kinda like unicron but V1 has that like a Sports announcer like voice. Plus the gimmicks are easier to activate :D. I really need to put some batteries in my Grayskull to test out the gimmicks.:)

kurdt_the_goat
13th November 2010, 01:21 AM
In the original MOTU cartoon, was there a character hidden within an episode and then revealed at the end (possibly by Orko), as kind of a game for kids to play?

I recall a cartoon from my childhood doing this - i'm not sure if it was MOTU though! If not MOTU, anyone got any ideas? I can't even be certain if it was a cartoon favourite of mine or my sisters, like Care Bears or something! :o

kup
13th November 2010, 08:04 AM
In the original MOTU cartoon, was there a character hidden within an episode and then revealed at the end (possibly by Orko), as kind of a game for kids to play?

I recall a cartoon from my childhood doing this - i'm not sure if it was MOTU though! If not MOTU, anyone got any ideas? I can't even be certain if it was a cartoon favourite of mine or my sisters, like Care Bears or something! :o

It was from the She-Ra Princess of Power cartoon. During a scene at any point, Loo-Kee would hide in the background. At the end of the episode he would appear, give you another chance to find him and then tell you the moral of the story just as He-Man (and other characters) did in Masters of the Universe.

Here is an example (although they change the voice pitch on this one from high to low pitch to show the actual actor voice - High pitch is the actual character voice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FO-k3wBrGs

kurdt_the_goat
13th November 2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks! I'm glad it wasn't Care Bears :) They should still have those after show messages these days IMO... i imagine they were introduced back then because the shows were blatant toy adverts, but they had some good things for easily influenced kids to hear.

kup
17th November 2010, 02:45 PM
Do MOTUC KOs exist? I have seen odd loose figures with missing accessories from Chinese vendors which otherwise look correct.

Ryathalas
17th November 2010, 04:26 PM
Do MOTUC KOs exist? I have seen odd loose figures with missing accessories from Chinese vendors which otherwise look correct.

I had always wondered this to as I have seen these loose figures from chinese vendor on ebay,I remember before hordak was released there was one on ebay and it went for like $300 or something crazy,Then I just thought that maybe these people had people working in the factories where they were made and were stealing the odd figures from the production line and selling them on ebay this one person in particular also had all the JLU ones for sale before they were released on Matty???Strange but maybe they are knock-offs:confused:

Sky Shadow
17th November 2010, 04:47 PM

They're not knockoffs, they're of exactly the same ilk as the loose Transformers that are sold on eBay from China - stolen from the factory.

kup
17th November 2010, 04:56 PM
What about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Mds-X7C2c

Ryathalas
17th November 2010, 05:14 PM
What about this?

Guess there are knock-off out there then:D

Sky Shadow
17th November 2010, 05:27 PM
What about this?

It's a factory second or lunchtime special. It's not a knockoff, the guy's just confused.

Tallestblue
17th November 2010, 05:41 PM
There are Giant Chinese Knock-offs of the 200x toys, And some look quite nice. I think they're mostly used as fodder for people customising 200X MOTUC Toys, as we'll never get them from Mattel.

kup
17th November 2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I just wanted to know so that I don't get caught unaware like I was with TFs when I was a little more noobish like I am now with MOTU.

gekisou
18th November 2010, 08:37 AM
There are Giant Chinese Knock-offs of the 200x toys, And some look quite nice. I think they're mostly used as fodder for people customising 200X MOTUC Toys, as we'll never get them from Mattel.

Tallestblue is correct. The 200X KOs are massive in comparison to the original stuff. They are pretty impressive with only paint apps being a problem but there is no way you can confuse these guys for the real thing. :)

kup
22nd November 2010, 06:05 PM
This isn't so much a question and more of statement:

Damn! These MOTUC figures are awesome! I have been playing with He-Ro since yesterday and although I have no attachment to the character (didn't even know the character existed until fairly recently) and I still hold by my view that the sculpts on the 200x figures are better than the 'Ken doll' looks of MOTUC, the toy has blown me away! He-Ro is not without his QC issues like the transparent sword is painted blue and not molded as such so the hilt flakes paint, a somewhat loose ankle and so forth but overall it's an outstanding figure!

I will probably expand a bit more into the line by getting more figures or characters that would also fit my 200x collection like Carnivus and King Grayskull. I will still cherry pick but I will likely buy more figures than I previously thought...which is both bad and good :D

kurdt_the_goat
22nd November 2010, 07:37 PM
Knew you'd like em! :)

kup
22nd November 2010, 09:33 PM
How do you boil a piece back into shape? The sword on my Carnivus bends a little.

Do I need to submerge it in warm water and then straighten it? Is the water supposed to be hot or just warm?

twincobra
23rd November 2010, 06:55 PM
I thought it was boiling water? but i dont know i have never tried it,the guys at the fwoosh have done it alot.

Sky Shadow
23rd November 2010, 07:01 PM
Boiled or just hot water is fine. Dip in the piece; wait until it reshapes; take it out and make sure it's how you want it, then leave it or put it in cold water so it stays that way.

kup
23rd November 2010, 07:16 PM
Boiled or just hot water is fine. Dip in the piece; wait until it reshapes; take it out and make sure it's how you want it, then leave it or put it in cold water so it stays that way.

So it reshapes by itself?

Sky Shadow
23rd November 2010, 08:17 PM
So it reshapes by itself?

Pretty much. It basically goes back to how it should be, only somewhat flaccid because it's hot. The only issue I can think of is that it can affect paint applications.

kup
23rd November 2010, 08:35 PM
Trying it now on Carnivus' sword. How long should I wait and should I keep it submerged?

Sky Shadow
23rd November 2010, 08:37 PM
Not long - literally just until it's soft enough to reshape.

kup
23rd November 2010, 08:41 PM
Not long - literally just until it's soft enough to reshape.

It didn't get soft at all. Oh well maybe it's for softer rubbery accessories.

Sky Shadow
23rd November 2010, 08:51 PM
It didn't get soft at all. Oh well maybe it's for softer rubbery accessories.

Oh... I just assumed it was the rubbery type of weapon. Maybe it would need boiling then... probably best to ask at/search He-Man.org to make sure.

kup
23rd November 2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah I think I will look around. Thank you.

I tried it on 200x Zodak's staff and it seemed to work but after a while it reverted back to it's 'bendy' shape. I may not be doing this right.

kup
24th November 2010, 09:47 AM
Never mind, I scored one.

kup
6th December 2010, 03:38 PM
They're not knockoffs, they're of exactly the same ilk as the loose Transformers that are sold on eBay from China - stolen from the factory.

I bought a few of these loose MOTUC figures and I can confirm that they are indeed legit but I can also add that they are not just stolen but factory rejects or returns.

Here is the condition of the figures I received:

Beast Man
EBay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665300514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_838wt_1139)
Figure received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Beastman.jpg)
Unpainted mouth + plus a very 'dirty' painted head.

Faker
EBay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665308417#ht_2256wt_1139)
Figure received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Faker1.jpg)
Incorrect forearm & Twisted ankle (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/faker2.jpg)

Evil-Lyn
Ebay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590747615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2220wt_1139)
Figure Received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Evil-Lyn.jpg)
Paint defects and blotches throughout her body.

She-Ra
Ebay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665305921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2220wt_1139)
Figure Received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/She-Ra1.jpg) Scratches and rough surfaces all over her gold armor (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/She-Ra2.jpg) and overall 'dirty' paint job

If you see a Chinese dealer selling lots of loose MOTUC figures, beware as they are not just 'loose' but factory rejects.

The Dealer's "What can you see and what can you get." in the description is also very misleading as he has clearly taken photos of his best toys and selling the worse ones as what I got is certainly not what is in the Auction picture.

Tallestblue
6th December 2010, 03:47 PM
Awww, that sucks. Recieving defective toys when you expect a perfect to is incredibly dissapointing. I certainly hope you reported the seller. I'll recommend the seller TAF inc, where I got my first lot of MOTUC Figs from, all MOC and most under 40 bucks. Some even under 30 U.S. Keep in mind this seller does charge a "Handling Fee" So go for a few figures and combined shipping.

kup
6th December 2010, 03:55 PM
Awww, that sucks. Recieving defective toys when you expect a perfect to is incredibly dissapointing. I certainly hope you reported the seller. I'll recommend the seller TAF inc, where I got my first lot of MOTUC Figs from, all MOC and most under 40 bucks. Some even under 30 U.S. Keep in mind this seller does charge a "Handling Fee" So go for a few figures and combined shipping.

I am allowing the seller to offer me a reasonable resolution but if he doesn't then it's Paypal refund time.

gekisou
6th December 2010, 04:40 PM
This is why I never buy anything from China sellers on ebay... not trustworthy.

No offense to anyone from China who could be trustworthy but its happened too many times not to generalise...

kurdt_the_goat
6th December 2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear your misfortune Kup, hope you get a decent response from the seller or Paypal.

I had a look on ebay and whether i'm just not patient enough or what, but i couldn't find many good deals. The ones i've missed out on that i want, i have just picked up from BBTS.... with the exchange rate so good, the hit isn't too bad.

Also you gotta consider Matty's bound to reissue more known characters down the line: you can check out this thread on he-man.org (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=174872&page=10) that lists known releases as they're announced... Evil Lyn for instance is due January.

kup
6th December 2010, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear your misfortune Kup, hope you get a decent response from the seller or Paypal.

I had a look on ebay and whether i'm just not patient enough or what, but i couldn't find many good deals. The ones i've missed out on that i want, i have just picked up from BBTS.... with the exchange rate so good, the hit isn't too bad.

Also you gotta consider Matty's bound to reissue more known characters down the line: you can check out this thread on he-man.org (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=174872&page=10) that lists known releases as they're announced... Evil Lyn for instance is due January.

Thanks.

I understand what you mean on costs. The reason why I took my chance with those figures were because they were decently priced when compared to the other sellers.

Sky Shadow
6th December 2010, 08:58 PM
I bought a few of these loose MOTUC figures and I can confirm that they are indeed legit but I can also add that they are not just stolen but factory rejects or returns.

It sucks that he didn't use the actual pictures, but I still wouldn't necessarily assume yours are rejects. I've opened plenty of MOSC Classics that have paint problems or incorrect parts. And here are up to a thousand other examples: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=168296

kup
6th December 2010, 10:18 PM
It sucks that he didn't use the actual pictures, but I still wouldn't necessarily assume yours are rejects. I've opened plenty of MOSC Classics that have paint problems or incorrect parts. And here are up to a thousand other examples: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=168296

Trust me, when you see the figures in person, you can tell they are rejects. I just opened my sealed Webstor and although he has a paint blotch on his chest, the figures I got from the Ebay dealer look as if they are 20 years old next to it due to the dirty paint (which can't be wiped off) and odd colorations in the 'skin' tones, specially with Beastman's head which is really bad and I don't just mean the lack of painted teeth.

When I mentioned the possibility of the figures being factory rejects to the seller, he didn't deny it but instead tried to cover himself by saying that he sells so many figures that he doesn't have the time to photograph each one despite his 'What you see is what you get' statement in the description. He knows that the figures he sells have fundamental defects which are easier to pick off from the assembly line than the odd mis-assembled piece or odd paint app.

He also appears to get a replenishing supply of loose figures and the line is way too new for so many loose figures to be hitting the market. He clearly has someone picking off the rejects from the factory.

liegeprime
7th December 2010, 10:03 AM
When I mentioned the possibility of the figures being factory rejects to the seller, he didn't deny it but instead tried to cover himself by saying that he sells so many figures that he doesn't have the time to photograph each one despite his 'What you see is what you get' statement in the description. He knows that the figures he sells have fundamental defects which are easier to pick off from the assembly line than the odd mis-assembled piece or odd paint app.

He also appears to get a replenishing supply of loose figures and the line is way too new for so many loose figures to be hitting the market. He clearly has someone picking off the rejects from the factory.

Who is this seller?:mad:

kup
7th December 2010, 01:45 PM
The guy got back to me saying that he is willing to replace parts. He is either manufacturing them himself or picking them off the assembly line. The thing is that several of them look very worn due to the 'dirty' looking paint so I am going to ask him to replace those whole figures completely.

She-Ra looks as if she had a bad hair day and the white dress doesn't help when it looks dirty.

kurdt_the_goat
7th December 2010, 01:59 PM
I don't fancy your chances of being able to disassemble the toys without risk of breakage ... i'd try and get full replacements for all of em you can.

kup
7th December 2010, 02:24 PM
I don't fancy your chances of being able to disassemble the toys without risk of breakage ... i'd try and get full replacements for all of em you can.

Yeah you are right. They are not like TFs in which its easy to disassemble by just removing a few screws. The parts are mostly glued together.

This is what I replied to the guy:

Hi,

I am not comfortable with disassembling the figures without damaging them. Please send me full replacements for Beastman, Evil-Lyn, Faker and She-Ra. Please make sure that the replacements don't have dirty looking paint jobs like She-Ra (specially the hair and dress) and Beastman (looks worn throughout). Also please double check that they have the correct parts and proper paint applications. I bought the figures expecting to receive them in the same condition as shown in your auction photos and item description so please send me replacements that match that.

I will be happy to return the faulty spares once I receive the replacements.

Thanks

kup
12th December 2010, 07:55 PM
Which MOTUC figures are known to be reissued in the future?

kurdt_the_goat
12th December 2010, 08:22 PM
See my post a bit earlier!

...you can check out this thread on he-man.org (http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=174872&page=10) that lists known releases as they're announced... Evil Lyn for instance is due January.

Looks like that is all that is known right now (apart from the figure stands).

kup
12th December 2010, 10:16 PM
See my post a bit earlier!

Looks like that is all that is known right now (apart from the figure stands).

Thank you. I was previously under the impression that the January Evil-Lyn was a repaint (non-yellow skin). I am regretting that I got that one from the Chinese seller now.

Too bad that there isn't any more info on reissues as I would rather get them from Matty than Ebay.

I am also glad they are reissuing the figure stands. If my Evil-Lyn problem gets resolved satisfactorily, I may get two sets of them.

gekisou
13th December 2010, 10:04 AM
Evil-Lyn is a nice figure. In fact, I have to say that the MOTUC line has really nice female sculpts.

kup
15th December 2010, 03:23 PM

Here is the condition of the figures I received:

Beast Man
EBay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665300514&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_838wt_1139)
Figure received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Beastman.jpg)
Unpainted mouth + plus a very 'dirty' painted head.

Faker
EBay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665308417#ht_2256wt_1139)
Figure received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Faker1.jpg)
Incorrect forearm & Twisted ankle (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/faker2.jpg)

Evil-Lyn
Ebay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590747615&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2220wt_1139)
Figure Received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/Evil-Lyn.jpg)
Paint defects and blotches throughout her body.

She-Ra
Ebay Auction Page (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270665305921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2220wt_1139)
Figure Received (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/She-Ra1.jpg) Scratches and rough surfaces all over her gold armor (http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/She-Ra2.jpg) and overall 'dirty' paint job

If you see a Chinese dealer selling lots of loose MOTUC figures, beware as they are not just 'loose' but factory rejects.

The Dealer's "What can you see and what can you get." in the description is also very misleading as he has clearly taken photos of his best toys and selling the worse ones as what I got is certainly not what is in the Auction picture.

The same guy that sold me the figs above has re-appeared on Ebay but using a different user name. I know it's him because of the recycled photos and "What can you see and what can you get." tag so watch out.

New Listing:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/wwjlee/m.html

d*r*j*
16th December 2010, 08:20 AM
That seller sent me a Faker with 2 right feet. Was at a time when Faker was commanding a hefty price. I managed to get a partial refund, which was okay... but paypal kept insisting I send the toy back for a full refund (registered w/ tracking... at my expense). The seller is known as a dumpster diver on some other toy websites... you only get what he finds in the bin.

kup
16th December 2010, 08:26 AM
That seller sent me a Faker with 2 right feet. Was at a time when Faker was commanding a hefty price. I managed to get a partial refund, which was okay... but paypal kept insisting I send the toy back for a full refund (registered w/ tracking... at my expense). The seller is known as a dumpster diver on some other toy websites... you only get what he finds in the bin.

Do you have a link to that website?

This is beginning to explain things as some of the 'fading' on the figures is consistent with sun damage.

d*r*j*
16th December 2010, 08:27 AM
Also, he lied about 5 times that he sent the replacement foot. Along with made up tracking info. Very dishonest. Got negative feedback from me.

kup
16th December 2010, 08:32 AM
Also, he lied about 5 times that he sent the replacement foot. Along with made up tracking info. Very dishonest. Got negative feedback from me.

He claims that he has sent me replacement figures. I will have to wait and see but I will open a dispute before the time to do so expires just in case.

Unfortunately his feedback is overwhelmingly positive so it's hard to tell that he is dishonest unless you deal with him.

It also seems that negative feedback is not a deterrent for him as he 'abandons' an ebay user name and then takes a new one for a clean slate as he has done recently, he probably jumps ship when he has encountered the possibility of having to give a refund to someone.

I am hoping that I do receive the replacement parts as although the other figures are bad, I can restore them but Faker with the wrong wrist is very difficult to fix and he has sun damage in his upper arms.

d*r*j*
17th December 2010, 07:05 AM
Do you have a link to that website?

This is beginning to explain things as some of the 'fading' on the figures is consistent with sun damage.

No links sorry... was a while ago, and I just generally go off memory. I know he has definately been talked about at He-man.org.

d*r*j*
17th December 2010, 07:26 AM
It also seems that negative feedback is not a deterrent for him as he 'abandons' an ebay user name and then takes a new one for a clean slate as he has done recently, he probably jumps ship when he has encountered the possibility of having to give a refund to someone.

I've seen him list 'unpainted' samples and some other quite nice things. I guess if you get them cheap then it's all good, most of the stuff comes incomplete, without packaging and, quite often, accessories. If you look at his other sales it's obvious something is shady.

kup
21st December 2010, 03:32 PM
Anybody have a 200X Kobra Khan that they wish to sell? It's fine if loose and without the gun.

kup
23rd December 2010, 09:53 AM
This morning I excitedly went to the Post Office hoping for my Battle Cat and the Cyber Monday figures and was disappointed when the post lady brought out this tiny box...

At first I wasn't sure what it was as I wasn't expecting anything else and then I read 'Hong Kong' on the box and it hit me - It's the replacements from the Chinese seller that sold me the faulty MOTUC toys! I was surprised at this because I had given the toys up as fraud and was planning to submit a dispute but the seller was actually true to his word.

http://kupscigar.com/MOTU/bad/MOTU-China.jpg

The Faker body is actually pretty good, some defects but they are more in line with 'Matty QC'. The Beastman head looks good and Evil-Lyn is a bit dirty but doesn't look worn nor does it have weird paint splotches. The only 'not so good' is She-Ra once again but I think I can mix and match parts with the other body for something decent.

Now that leaves me with a Faker, Evil-Lyn and She-Ra bodies as spares. I am not sure what I can do with these as I don't know if anyone would want them.

I also I wasn't expecting to get a replacement for Faker so I ordered one from a guy at He-Man.org so I may sell that one since I already have a pretty decent loose one.

I hope the Cyber Monday stuff arrives tomorrow before the Christmas break.

kurdt_the_goat
23rd December 2010, 11:16 AM
Those look alright hey, glad u got some resolve! My Cyber Monday stuff still isn't here either ... i had 2 days off work and was hoping to walk in and find them but nope :(

Tallestblue
23rd December 2010, 01:19 PM
Hey Kup, can you post a full body pic of the Defective She-Ra you got? If the paint damage is in my opinion negligible maybe we could work something out?

....Shame you don't have a spare Teela. The extra heads are so good I need two bodies to display them.

kup
23rd December 2010, 02:21 PM
Hey Kup, can you post a full body pic of the Defective She-Ra you got? If the paint damage is in my opinion negligible maybe we could work something out?

....Shame you don't have a spare Teela. The extra heads are so good I need two bodies to display them.

I'll get back to you on that one as I will need to do some disassembling and re-assembling on She-Ra. However you have given me an idea on the spare Teela head. I am curious to see what it looks like.

kurdt_the_goat
28th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Over on thefwoosh.com when they do a new MOTUC review, they photoshop the toy into vintage posters:

http://i54.tinypic.com/kd0ume.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nkkwf4.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/29xjl0i.jpg

Anyone know where I can find hi-res originals?

kurdt_the_goat
28th December 2010, 11:45 PM
Typical, just after i post, i manage to find one of them plus some other artwork in high res (http://www.odrakir.com/downloads/MOTUWallpapers.7z). Still really want the others though!

Edit: more from that site, downloading now! Here (http://www.odrakir.com/downloads/MOTUWallpapers2.7z)

A bit more searching and i have them all! Grayskull (http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/grayskull_big.jpg), Eternia (http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/eterniaNames.jpg) & Horde (http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/horde_poster.jpg)!

kup
12th January 2011, 10:10 AM
That's a cool idea and the Classics figures can also be somewhat hard to spot since they closely resemble the vintage art.

On another note, How many Palace guards would you be buying next week?

http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rg_5.jpg

d*r*j*
12th January 2011, 03:08 PM
probably 2 sets... will use one guard as a Mer Man varient and have the other 3 on display.

Hursticon
22nd January 2011, 09:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is it that Evil-lyn's figure (Original/Classics?) has her skin in that 'Simpsons' yellow as opposed to how she appears on screen? :confused:

kup
22nd January 2011, 10:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is it that Evil-lyn's figure (Original/Classics?) has her skin in that 'Simpsons' yellow as opposed to how she appears on screen? :confused:

Like the early years of Transformers, the toys came before the cartoon and Evil-Lyn was created to diversify the villains a bit by adding a female which would serve as a counterpoint to Teela ('Warrior Goddess' as she was known). So in order to differentiate Evil-Lyn from Teela as her figure was just a repaint with a new head, they decided to make her yellow skined which was probably also done with the intention of making her seem 'unnatural' since she is an evil sorceress.

Naturally the 80s Filmation cartoon decided to make her skin color pale as creative license allowed them to make her character model considerably different from Teela so different skin colors were not necessary or they decided that yellow would not look too good with the animation style they were going with.

Since most character models for Evil-Lyn and the 200x toys have featured her with her pale white skin, that's how most fans know/remember the character. However, the MOTU Classics line often endeavours to be as vintage toy accurate as possible so the yellow skin was chosen for the classics figure which divided the fandom a bit since many would have preferred Fimation/200x skin tones but she turned out to be a pretty awesome figure regardless.

Hursticon
22nd January 2011, 11:16 PM
Ah, I see. :)
It just struck me as really odd because I've seen a pic, courtesy of Robzy's collection, of the 200x figure and it looks like she was literally ripped out of the screen, but then seeing pics of the Evil-lyn you yourself had for sale I was sort of confused. :o

So MOTU shares more similarities with Transformers than what I thought, except Mattel seems to treat it's fans with more contempt judging by the horrible stories coming out of that last sale :(, but it is interesting to learn that the Classics figures are going for a more Toy focused armage as I've got to admit, they're terribly tempting. :o:p

Oh yeah, I finished up the 200x series and I've got to say I was really quite sad when the credits started to roll because the show was ended WAY too early IMO, as I'm sure many feel the same way, which is probably exactly how the Voice Cast must of felt too because I know alot of them had worked on Beast Wars and I'm sure Gary Chalk and Scott Mcneil at least must feel cursed or something. :(

kurdt_the_goat
6th February 2011, 05:41 PM
What price do MOTU mini-comics go for in general?
I just got back from the local markets and a stall had about 10 of them, but they lady running the store wasn't gonna be back for 30 mins to tell me the price.

kup
6th February 2011, 06:27 PM
On Ebay they seem to go for $4-$5ea, shipping not included.

Robzy
6th February 2011, 07:01 PM
What price do MOTU mini-comics go for in general?
I just got back from the local markets and a stall had about 10 of them, but they lady running the store wasn't gonna be back for 30 mins to tell me the price.
There's no easy answer for that. You should be able to pick up most of them for $3-5, but some of them go for around $100... and everything inbetween! There's about 5 that I don't have in my collection, but fortunately they're not the ultra rare ones (well, one is!) but I never paid big, big money for them. Markets/toy fairs are great - people don't always know which ones are rare and have value. But good luck with evil bay - people charge top $ for the common ones!

kup
8th February 2011, 03:26 PM
Wow! This is something.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/She-ra-Princess-Power-Spinnerella-Carded-OVP-/250768079656?pt=Figuren&hash=item3a62f13b28#ht_3830wt_889

It's kind of freaky how a girl's toy line is now mostly followed by guys and most likely it was a guy who won that figure :o

I have read a few stories about how the original She-Ra cartoon became so popular with boys that some actually asked their parents to get toys of the characters and since they were so girlie (girl toy line), opening Christmas presents became very awkward in front of the family :D.

Although I really liked the She-Ra cartoon when I was a kid, I thankfully never asked for toys ;)

Anyway, hopefully we will get more less awkward releases of the Princess of Power characters in MOTU classics although most of the POP characters do happen to be women :o

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/174/7/5/The_Great_Rebellion_by_MERboysWorld.jpg

Can you imagine this in the 200X MOTU? :p

liegeprime
14th February 2011, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know what the story is with Teela in Goddess (Cobra outfit) mode and Teela literally being a snake lady in the 200x version.... the series finisehed before that story can be fleshed out... or was there an episode explaining it that never got aired? Cheers...

kup
15th February 2011, 12:04 AM
Does anyone know what the story is with Teela in Goddess (Cobra outfit) mode and Teela literally being a snake lady in the 200x version.... the series finisehed before that story can be fleshed out... or was there an episode explaining it that never got aired? Cheers...

The Goddess is basically a pre-filmation Sorceress. So basically the Teela toy was originally intended to fill the role of the Sorceress that you see in later incarnations. Early Teela was actually that bikini armor clad chick you see in the toy fair pics.

After the Filmation cartoon, The Goddess disappeared from the fiction until she was 'revisited' in MOTUC. Bikini Teela was turned into the Teela we know today by using the character model (and toy) of the Goddess.

There is an episode in 200X in which King Hiss briefly turns most of the Masters into Snake Men, among them Teela. There is really nothing special about that only that 'Snake Woman' Teela was made into a pretty cool figure. That episode ends pretty conclusively as far as the series is concerned but apparently they were going to expand on that if they had been allowed a 3rd season.

kup
2nd March 2011, 01:17 PM
Is this Bow art official?

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/262/bow.jpg

If so, does anyone know where he is from?

He looks like a more MOTU Bow than POP. He also seems to be wearing Randor's armor.

TheFallen
2nd March 2011, 10:44 PM
He also meets Mattel's safety standards because he doesn't have a bow string :)

kup
2nd March 2011, 10:51 PM
He also meets Mattel's safety standards because he doesn't have a bow string :)

lol true.

kurdt_the_goat
5th March 2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know if anyone has an answer but i'd like to hear opinions... I wondered the other day why MOTUC molds don't seem to suffer from mold degradation but Transformers sometimes do?

Is it just that they're not produced in as a great a number as Transformers even when you factor in the extensive re-use of parts between characters? Or is it something to do with the plastic type perhaps.

kup
5th March 2011, 08:34 AM
I don't know if anyone has an answer but i'd like to hear opinions... I wondered the other day why MOTUC molds don't seem to suffer from mold degradation but Transformers sometimes do?

Is it just that they're not produced in as a great a number as Transformers even when you factor in the extensive re-use of parts between characters? Or is it something to do with the plastic type perhaps.

It's possible that for every part, they have several mold copies. I am personally somewhat skeptical about the difficulty of reproducing new quality molds since the 3rd parties and KOers seem to do it so easily on very limited budgets and now you can see Mattel doing it.

I think that it's difficult for Hasbro for whatever administrative reason they have but not that difficult to actually do it reality or it could just be BS from them which several fans now popularly believe.

liegeprime
5th March 2011, 08:55 AM
in my opinion.... the parts they would cast molds for in the MOTUC for MAttel are rather simple 1 -3 pieces which as kup has mentioned I suspect as well has several molds pre made already since it is simple, where as if you look at a transformer leg, there could be a lot of pieces involved. Not to mention for bigger pieces (Voyager above) there would be joint pieces and wotnot inside the legs piece alone which would all have several molds, if just one mold of this several molds to make a leg degrades then the rest would be affected, and upkeep I guess would be costly if you have to remold a small piece all the time since each mold might be degrading at different times..... or his could all be just BS from Hasbro.:p:p

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th June 2011, 06:27 PM
I started watching She-ra this morning, from the first episode of course. I saw a couple of eps as a kid but didn't bother that much because it was a girl's show.

However after watching the first 2 today, and seeing the incusion of He-man to link it all together, I came to the conclusion that it isn't that much of a girl's show.

So I ask the question, Who is the demographic for this cartoon?

Obviously I was the right age for He-man at the time, as I watched it and liked it, but She-Ra didn't do it for me, yet the show seemed to be a version of he-man, but with a majority female characters. I wouldn't think girls would be all that interested in watching it just Because it had femme leads.

So who was the intended audience. and as a semi-second question, did the She-Ra toys sell well?

griffin
10th June 2011, 06:47 PM
That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan. The HeMan cartoon was very tame by today's standards, so the content of the SheRa cartoon couldn't be any less violent... which would interest HeMan viewers, but none of the 'SheRa packaged' toys interested boys. The funny thing though, was that the Villains (The Horde) were all released in the HeMan toyline... which meant boys would have to watch the SheRa cartoon to know and buy those toys.
It was all such a mess, and cost Mattel a fair bit promoting the wrong sort of toys to the wrong demographics, at the expense of the HeMan cartoon (which looks to have been suspended in favour of the SheRa cartoon), and after a season and a half, both cartoons were axed.
The DVDs talk about this a bit if I recall... the resulting failure of the SheRa cartoon killed off the HeMan cartoon.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th June 2011, 07:01 PM
That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan. The HeMan cartoon was very tame by today's standards, so the content of the SheRa cartoon couldn't be any less violent... which would interest HeMan viewers, but none of the 'SheRa packaged' toys interested boys. The funny thing though, was that the Villains (The Horde) were all released in the HeMan toyline... which meant boys would have to watch the SheRa cartoon to know and buy those toys.
It was all such a mess, and cost Mattel a fair bit promoting the wrong sort of toys to the wrong demographics, at the expense of the HeMan cartoon (which looks to have been suspended in favour of the SheRa cartoon), and after a season and a half, both cartoons were axed.
The DVDs talk about this a bit if I recall... the resulting failure of the SheRa cartoon killed off the HeMan cartoon.

Oh, I see. So She-ra was the death of He-man. I remember the villains in the heman line, I ended up with a Horde trooper and thought that Hordak was another enemy faction for He-man. (like Skeletor, Snakemen and Horde). I wondered why Hordak was She-Ras enemy as well:p

Sky Shadow
10th June 2011, 07:58 PM
That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan.

Mattel sold $53,000,000 of Princess Of Power toys in 1985, more than He-Man made in its first year. And that doesn't even count the sales of Horde toys, which were also supported by the She-Ra cartoon. There were a lot of girls watching He-Man, which was the rationale for the spin-off.

She-Ra and He-Man ran concurrently for a good sixty episodes in 1985 and then in 1986 She-Ra ran for an extra half-a-season after He-Man was axed.

Oh, I see. So She-ra was the death of He-man.

No, she/it wasn't.

griffin
10th June 2011, 08:13 PM
Really? The commentaries & interviews on some of the DVD boxsets implied that She-Ra was a failed attempt at getting girls into Action Figures (based on the success of the boys line), and that HeMan was effectively killed off by it as well.

If what Sky Shadow says is true, than I concede to his correct information.

Sky Shadow
10th June 2011, 08:37 PM
Really? The commentaries & interviews on some of the DVD boxsets implied that She-Ra was a failed attempt at getting girls into Action Figures (based on the success of the boys line), and that HeMan was effectively killed off by it as well.

If what Sky Shadow says is true, than I concede to his correct information.

I think that - as we know with the people who worked on Transformers and were then as asked them to recount what happened twenty years later - the DVD commentaries are full of faded memories and personal bias. What "killed off" He-Man wasn't She-Ra at all. Everyone on this board should know what killed He-Man. (Clue: It's the second word in the acronym OTCA. :p)

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th June 2011, 02:10 AM
Mattel sold $53,000,000 of Princess Of Power toys in 1985, more than He-Man made in its first year. And that doesn't even count the sales of Horde toys, which were also supported by the She-Ra cartoon. There were a lot of girls watching He-Man, which was the rationale for the spin-off.

Wow, thats interesting right there.

Girls must like the muscles hey?:D

kup
12th June 2011, 10:07 AM
Sky Shadow is correct, She-Ra ran for a pretty decent length given the larger than average amount of episodes in the 1st season and the toy line was fairly successful. There are a good amount of POP toys in the after market signifying that they sold reasonably well back in the day.

Wow, thats interesting right there.

Girls must like the muscles hey?:D

Not really. He-Man had a strong female cast. They weren't archetyped into the typical 'damsel in distress' role and treated no different to the male cast while still maintaining their femininity - Teela, The Sorceress and Evil-Lyn were all 'core' characters and in a position of power. This is probably what attracted girls to watch the cartoon as those female leads were pretty prominent.

When it came to She-Ra, the same formula was used and the cartoon was very successful with both girls and boys despite the cast leaning more to female characters. Aside from still having a lot of action/adventure elements it also had much better written episodes than He-Man which IMO stand up better to the test of time and more watchable for an adult.

I have almost finished watching the first season of She-Ra, It's massive with over 60 episodes. There is a good amount of '80s' goofiness but a lot of the stories are entertaining and smartly written enough to hold appeal. It is also no where near as repetitive as He-Man with much better animation.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th June 2011, 11:43 AM
I notice that Larry DiTillo and Bob Forward seem to do a fair bit of writing for She-Ra. Omoshiroi!

Hursticon
14th June 2011, 02:17 PM
I notice that Larry DiTillo and Bob Forward seem to do a fair bit of writing for She-Ra. Omoshiroi!

Indeed and the lessons they learnt with He-Man and She-Ra, with regards to story writing, ended up creating the best written TF cartoon show to date. ;):cool:

Lord_Zed
15th June 2011, 10:59 PM
Not really. He-Man had a strong female cast. They weren't archetyped into the typical 'damsel in distress' role and treated no different to the male cast while still maintaining their femininity - Teela, The Sorceress and Evil-Lyn were all 'core' characters and in a position of power.

It's funny how in a lot of these 80's toons the female villains are often the only competent ones, at least this seems to be the case in He-Man, She-Ra MASK and Visionaries.

kup
16th June 2011, 01:21 AM
It's funny how in a lot of these 80's toons the female villains are often the only competent ones, at least this seems to be the case in He-Man, She-Ra MASK and Visionaries.

True with the exception of Catra and Scorpia, they were a bit dumb, specially the latter but still more competent than the men. However all the other Horde women were pretty smart, much smarter than the men or Hordak himself such as Shadow Weaver and Octavia.

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th June 2011, 06:18 PM
What's up with Hordak's Arm? Sometimes it's a robo claw and others it a proper arm. Is that just and animation mistake or can he change it at will?

Also on the subject of Hordak, is he a robot or something as his morphing arm blaster doohicky seems cool, as does his ability to change into a badly flown rocket. Are his morph skills limited to certain forms?

Quite enjoying She-ra. The 80's sound effects that seemed to show up in a lot of cartoons of that era are so cool!

kup
17th June 2011, 06:23 PM
What's up with Hordak's Arm? Sometimes it's a robo claw and others it a proper arm. Is that just and animation mistake or can he change it at will?

Also on the subject of Hordak, is he a robot or something as his morphing arm blaster doohicky seems cool, as does his ability to change into a badly flown rocket. Are his morph skills limited to certain forms?

Quite enjoying She-ra. The 80's sound effects that seemed to show up in a lot of cartoons of that era are so cool!

Hordak is not really a robot but he does have the power to 'morph' his arm and full body into weapons and vehicles like the rocket.

Unlike the comics, toy bios and the 200X cartoon, Hordak in the She-Ra cartoon is more 'technological' than magical. Ironically enough, the cartoon Hordak seems to hate magic despite most other mediums portraying him as a bad ass evil sorcerer.

Also be prepared to cringe a little when they refer to 'Horde Prime' (stupidest concept ever).

Despite those silly things, She-Ra is still a superb 80s cartoon.

Sky Shadow
17th June 2011, 07:21 PM
Also on the subject of Hordak, is he a robot or something as his morphing arm blaster doohicky seems cool, as does his ability to change into a badly flown rocket. Are his morph skills limited to certain forms?!

Hordak can turn his arm into various cannons and melee weapons and turn himself into a rocket, tank, four-armed spinning top, four-legged spider, etc. His second and third toys respectively had various arm attachments and a buzzsaw that came out of his chest. There was no canonical limit to his transformations except whatever suited the writers' whims.

The same went for Hordak's sidekick Imp:

http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/feature.php?id=50&fid=54

And She-Ra's Power Sword, which (somewhat ridiculously) could become a shield, lasso, rope, icemaker, helmet, parachute, telescope, pole, bola, chain, staff, racket, boomerang, blanket, glider, net, ladder, torch, harpoon, flame, smokescreen, bow, digger, magnet (and line), battering ram, grappling hook, bat, lightning rod, discus and handcuffs.

http://www.darah.com/she-ra/usrg/episodes/swordto/swordto.asp

kup
8th July 2011, 08:52 PM
Would this constitute as an improvement?

Before (out of package):

http://i54.tinypic.com/2mwi595.jpg

After some light improvements:

http://kupscigar.com/collection2011/faceless.JPG

The attempt was to get him closer to his proper 200X character model:

http://www.toyark.com/news/attach/2/9/9/7/2/faceless1_gbagok_1278017801.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th July 2011, 10:56 PM
Would this constitute as an improvement?

Well, it certainly looks more like the cartoon version, so good job there. But personally I think he looks better with legs.

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th July 2011, 11:35 PM
So with all these MOTUC announcement from SDCC, I have to ask..

Who is Draego Man, Icarius and Fearless Photog (who I actually really like the look of)?

Why is there so much happening in Novemeber? So many good games and toys. ee gads. (rhetorical question);)

kurdt_the_goat
26th July 2011, 12:46 AM
Draego man is an original character created by Four Horsemen (http://www.fourhorsemen.biz/) studios (who do all the MOTUC stuff amongst other toy lines). There was some suggestion on he-man.org that it might be an homage to a he-man knock-off line of toys called Galaxy Warriors (http://galaxywarriorsbysungold.blogspot.com/2011/02/dragoon.html)

Icarius is a character otherwise called Flipshot from The New Adventures of He-man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Adventures_of_He-Man) cartoon, a relaunch/attempt at getting back the original popularity of He-man from 1990. I only knew of him from skimming the list of New Adventures vintage toys on he-man.org (http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toycollection.php?id=15), whilst trying to see which ones i'd like to see updated in MOTUC. I didn't think much of the original design, 4H have really done an excellent job updating him! I did kinda want Hydron though (http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toy.php?id=1366)! :p

Fearless Photog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_Photog) is a character designed by a kid called Nathan Bitner, winner of a "design a character" competition in 1986. Part of the prize was getting the figure created, but until now it was just a broken promise!

I didn't know half that stuff myself till the other week, i'm becoming a motu-enclopedia thanks to he-man.org and wiki grayskull (http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/He-Man_Wiki)! And of course google :)

I'm not sure, but i think November is busy because last year, Christmas post delays frustrated lots of ppl, myself included (waiting for He-man & Battle Cat). November releases should arrive in time for everyone, not just people in the US. Doesn't help Demo man in December though! :(

kup
26th July 2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that Photog guy.

Nathan was awarded a scholarship for 100,000 dollars, plus a five-day trip to Disneyland

Did that kid actually get the $100,000 scholarship? That's one hell of a price from creating a toy character, specially back in the 80s!

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th July 2011, 04:09 PM
What contact details are avalable to contact mattel? I tried emailing them some suggestions into making the subscription more friendly towards non-US citizens :D and got told I had to telephone Mattel directly... :rolleyes:

kup
28th July 2011, 04:25 PM
What contact details are avalable to contact mattel? I tried emailing them some suggestions into making the subscription more friendly towards non-US citizens :D and got told I had to telephone Mattel directly... :rolleyes:

I think that they just gave you an answer right there.

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th July 2011, 05:24 PM
I think that they just gave you an answer right there.

I suspect as well, but I dont wanna go tto that much effort. Global economy my ass:rolleyes:

kup
30th July 2011, 11:16 AM
I want to buy a Pollypocket She-Ra set from SDCC. Is that bad? :o

Sky Shadow
30th July 2011, 11:24 AM
I want to buy a Pollypocket She-Ra set from SDCC. Is that bad? :o

Probably, but you just reminded me that I want one too. :p

kup
2nd August 2011, 09:53 AM
Damn it! I forgot about the sale..I guess that's a good thing :o

Sky Shadow
13th August 2011, 08:03 AM
My Man-E-Faces and Megator are shipping (squee!) I haven't been excited about a MOTU release in months (until now). Have they really managed to not have MEF's 'secret accessory' leaked yet? If so, I'm truly impressed.

kup
16th August 2011, 07:10 PM
If anyone is getting a sub and doesn't want Shadow Weaver, please let me know. I am interested to buy.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th August 2011, 08:02 PM
If anyone is getting a sub and doesn't want Shadow Weaver, please let me know. I am interested to buy.

LOL, You and everybody else Kup.;)

kup
17th August 2011, 02:29 PM
LOL, You and everybody else Kup.;)

I know..I just thought it was worth a shot :o

Robzy
18th August 2011, 05:25 PM
Heehee, yeah, nice try ;)

fatbot
23rd October 2011, 03:08 PM
If I'm going to do the monthly sale with this stuff, what day of the month is it & what time? I can't be blown with the sub, I only only certain figures.

kurdt_the_goat
23rd October 2011, 05:34 PM
It's usually the 15th of the month but sometimes different, like this month it was the 17th so it fell on a Monday i believe.
Best thing to do is check their news page (http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.News). Scroll a bit and you can see the post relating to October's sale, and they have a link to send you reminders.
The time is always 9am PST so you can use time and date's los angeles link (http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=137) to check what time it'll be for you.

Hursticon
16th February 2012, 02:20 AM
Hey guys,

Is there a way to fix MOTUC ankle joints?
My MOTUC He-Man has the ankles of a 9 month old and is constantly spear tackling Goro from the back, onto my desk from their pedestal; Is there a none abrasive, easy way of rectifying this? :o

My MOTUC Skeletor is great, he's held his pose and balance without issue since I popped him up with the other 2 - Evidently it's the Adam coming out in He-Man I guess. :rolleyes::p

kup
16th February 2012, 08:28 AM
Hey guys,

Is there a way to fix MOTUC ankle joints?
My MOTUC He-Man has the ankles of a 9 month old and is constantly spear tackling Goro from the back, onto my desk from their pedestal; Is there a none abrasive, easy way of rectifying this? :o

My MOTUC Skeletor is great, he's held his pose and balance without issue since I popped him up with the other 2 - Evidently it's the Adam coming out in He-Man I guess. :rolleyes::p

The design is flawed in the sense that the warmer it is the looser the toys become. You'll notice that the issue is less apparent during the colder months or days.

One way to fix it is to put the foot in boiling water (right out of the kettle) for 10 seconds and then squeeze the joint as tight as you can (not with your nail of course). While you are squeezing it, put it under cold water for about 5 seconds and the joint should be tighter now.

This is of course just a temporary fix as the rubbery nature of the plastic will cause it to soften up again during the warmer days.

Tallestblue
16th February 2012, 09:47 AM
There might be some helpful hints in this article Hursty-

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?165883-Loose-MOTUC-figure-joint-problems-Ways-to-fix-them/page7

OR you could always buy a Battle-cat for He-man to sit on, fix the problem that way? :D:D:D

Hursticon
16th February 2012, 03:45 PM
The design is flawed in the sense that the warmer it is the looser the toys become. You'll notice that the issue is less apparent during the colder months or days.

One way to fix it is to put the foot in boiling water (right out of the kettle) for 10 seconds and then squeeze the joint as tight as you can (not with your nail of course). While you are squeezing it, put it under cold water for about 5 seconds and the joint should be tighter now.

This is of course just a temporary fix as the rubbery nature of the plastic will cause it to soften up again during the warmer days.

There might be some helpful hints in this article Hursty-

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?165883-Loose-MOTUC-figure-joint-problems-Ways-to-fix-them/page7

OR you could always buy a Battle-cat for He-man to sit on, fix the problem that way? :D:D:D

Cheers guys, I'll look into both of these suggestions :cool: - Battlecat is unfortunately off of the cards though. ;):p

Yukitora
11th August 2012, 12:55 PM
i have a giant plastic box filled with all the old guys, and that happy plastic smell that hemans are made of is really strong. (probably some brick sand form an tf battle in there too). would airing them out make it go away? i don't like spaying things and am not sure about this type of plastic reactions to anything outside of the box.

heman manly smell, thats what it is!

kup
11th August 2012, 01:07 PM
i have a giant plastic box filled with all the old guys, and that happy plastic smell that hemans are made of is really strong. (probably some brick sand form an tf battle in there too). would airing them out make it go away? i don't like spaying things and am not sure about this type of plastic reactions to anything outside of the box.

heman manly smell, thats what it is!

A couple are supposed to smell like Stinkor and Moss-Man - That's their gimmick!

Maybe being packed together for so long, Stinkor's smell transferred over to the other guys?

Yukitora
11th August 2012, 09:29 PM
ROFL:D

Skullcruncher
15th September 2012, 09:29 AM
Whats the best webiste for a collection checklist? Item id etc?

I found this one http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toycollection.php?id=1

I'm thinking of collecting only the original release items, are any of the reissues the same(as in exactly same accessories etc) as the originals?

Sky Shadow
15th September 2012, 06:19 PM
Whats the best webiste for a collection checklist? Item id etc?

I found this one http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toycollection.php?id=1

I'm thinking of collecting only the original release items, are any of the reissues the same(as in exactly same accessories etc) as the originals?

The reissue of Trap-Jaw is missing an accessory and the reissue of Faker is missing a sticker.

Skullcruncher
22nd September 2012, 04:59 PM
I have two skeletors - one has the two 'eyebrow' type lines while the other does not. Skeletor with 'eyebrows' is dated Matel Inc 1981 Taiwan while no eyebrow skeletor is just marked Matel Inc 1981 with no country.

Any way to tell these what these variations are? Does anyone care about variations in MOTU Collecting? :confused:

Deceptic_Optic
2nd November 2012, 06:05 AM
ok i just got hooked in this line, and bought myself a he-man, she-ra, battle cat, swiftwind, hordak and skeletor. im just so new to this and only would really like to collect the main characters in the cartoon line any suggestion where to get them and are they going to cost heaps? i would really appreciate the help guys.

Sky Shadow
2nd November 2012, 10:35 AM
ok i just got hooked in this line, and bought myself a he-man, she-ra, battle cat, swiftwind, hordak and skeletor. im just so new to this and only would really like to collect the main characters in the cartoon line any suggestion where to get them and are they going to cost heaps? i would really appreciate the help guys.

I'm selling a MISB Evil-Lyn here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=323859#post323859) and I have a bunch of others that I'm going to sell - I'll see what I have and if any are core cartoon characters. Here's (http://pages.suddenlink.net/soundwavempl/motucfigs/motucvchecklist.html) a checklist of what's available - have a look to decide who you want to collect. If you want a blue Mer-Man (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11015025) and Stratos with blue wings (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11015026), see if these will ship to Australia. And next year, set an alarm for just before the sales start on Matty.com to get Ram Man (January 16th) and Jitsu (February 16th).

Sky Shadow
2nd November 2012, 11:14 AM
I have two skeletors - one has the two 'eyebrow' type lines while the other does not. Skeletor with 'eyebrows' is dated Matel Inc 1981 Taiwan while no eyebrow skeletor is just marked Matel Inc 1981 with no country.

Any way to tell these what these variations are? Does anyone care about variations in MOTU Collecting? :confused:

It's hard to tell what you're talking about without images. But try squishing the heads and let us know if they're hard or soft. People don't care about minor paint variants, but there are some cool MOTU variants: Leo Skeletor, Green Arms Modulok, Camouflage Kobra Khan, Black Grizzlor, Blue Wings Stratos, Man-E-Weapons, Red Neck Rattlor and many more. The best variant is Leo Faker:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/LEOFAKER5.jpg

With his black eye make-up and Skeletor's accessories in orange, he looks like an Eternian Egyptian god.

Deceptic_Optic
2nd November 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm selling a MISB Evil-Lyn here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=323859#post323859) and I have a bunch of others that I'm going to sell - I'll see what I have and if any are core cartoon characters. Here's (http://pages.suddenlink.net/soundwavempl/motucfigs/motucvchecklist.html) a checklist of what's available - have a look to decide who you want to collect. If you want a blue Mer-Man (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11015025) and Stratos with blue wings (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11015026), see if these will ship to Australia. And next year, set an alarm for just before the sales start on Matty.com to get Ram Man (January 16th) and Jitsu (February 16th).

just looked at the price of these badbaoys this are some pretty hard core stuff, i think i may be too late to start this line and stick with what ive got. interested in beast man maybe man-at-arms, catra, sorceress, orko? is that even right? hahahaha man im just going of what i remember when i was a kid

Tallestblue
2nd November 2012, 12:20 PM
If you buy Orko, he's packaged with Prince Adam as an Accessory.

I can Also recommend getting Draego-Man from the 30th Anniversary line, Sure he didn't show up in the cartoon but he is, by far the coolest figure in the line.

Deceptic_Optic
2nd November 2012, 12:30 PM

I can Also recommend getting Draego-Man from the 30th Anniversary line, Sure he didn't show up in the cartoon but he is, by far the coolest figure in the line.

yeah i guess i just started so late with these il stick on what ive got instead, thsi might be proven very costly

liegeprime
2nd November 2012, 09:27 PM

Dre, parramatta fair. The guys on the stage sell em. And yes it will cost about as much as DCUC figures. Though some are less. BBTS Also at times sell the older releases cheaper now. Unless it's the limited released ones. When you say "main characters" it still ends up being a lot of figures really...:)

Tallestblue
2nd November 2012, 10:30 PM
I'm fairly certain trying to get every MOTUC figure has cost me over a grand by now. perhaps more.

Jetfire in the sky
8th August 2013, 03:38 PM
This may have been asked but anyway. I've just redone my MOTU collection with new shelving, the majority is original but I do have He Man, Skeletor and Orko from MOTU 2002. I have always used blu-tac to help Skeletor stand but the new laminate is struggling to stick, I have considered super gluing him down. This has to be one of the worst designed toy lines when it comes to getting the figures to stand. Does anyone know any tricks or poses that will help him stand?

Trent
8th August 2013, 04:51 PM
This may have been asked but anyway. I've just redone my MOTU collection with new shelving, the majority is original but I do have He Man, Skeletor and Orko from MOTU 2002. I have always used blu-tac to help Skeletor stand but the new laminate is struggling to stick, I have considered super gluing him down. This has to be one of the worst designed toy lines when it comes to getting the figures to stand. Does anyone know any tricks or poses that will help him stand?

Have you considered those clear figure stands like these? (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=251315537122)

Jetfire in the sky
8th August 2013, 05:10 PM
Not a bad idea :)

Destructicon
16th January 2015, 02:59 PM
Hello, just wondering where is the best place to get some plastic display cases for MOTU carded figures ??? I'm getting a few 12 backs in the next few weeks so am on the hunt for about 3 or so such cases and am just wondering what you gentlemen can recommend ?? Thanks guys and have a good day. :)

Skullcruncher
2nd February 2015, 05:37 PM
Anyone interested in buying my vintage motu? Drop me a PM.

High_Q
8th February 2015, 01:27 PM
Hello, just wondering where is the best place to get some plastic display cases for MOTU carded figures ??? I'm getting a few 12 backs in the next few weeks so am on the hunt for about 3 or so such cases and am just wondering what you gentlemen can recommend ?? Thanks guys and have a good day. :)

I've bought AFA's acrylic cases in the past and never had problems. Shipping is pricey, though. They have some in-stock MOTU cases (http://www.cgagrading.com/OnlineStore/Catalog.aspx?CategoryId=26), but not sure whether they're what you're after.

M-bot
10th February 2015, 10:52 AM
Anyone interested in buying my vintage motu? Drop me a PM.

PM'd.

Chevron Action Flash
12th February 2015, 03:32 PM

He's not the coolest figure in the line. That slot is reserved for Trap Jaw and BA Skeletor. Dreago is a damn fine figure though. Easily the best of the 30th anniversary sub-line.

Chevron Action Flash
12th February 2015, 03:33 PM
I'm fairly certain trying to get every MOTUC figure has cost me over a grand by now. perhaps more.

Thats not much considering entire collections are being offered on ebay for around $7K.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th February 2015, 04:26 PM
Grr. Damn you matty twatty.

I want this GITD guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7jFp7U3-M0

kurdt_the_goat
13th February 2015, 06:12 PM
Haha, i knew what figure that was going to be before clicking the link!
Predictable old Tets!

Tetsuwan Convoy
22nd February 2015, 03:52 PM
Haha, i knew what figure that was going to be before clicking the link!
Predictable old Tets!

lol. Guilty as charged, but then nice GITD action figures are few and far between

kurdt_the_goat
6th March 2015, 01:52 PM
There's probably no one here who still subscribes, and even less of a chance that anyone who does wants to sell me the new He-Man head that comes with Oo-Lar... but i'm asking anyway :o

Sharky
6th March 2015, 01:59 PM
There's probably no one here who still subscribes,

after the poor back end to 2014 and the less then spectacular reveals of 2015 sub I did not see a point to continuing the sub when really the only figure I would of wanted is multibot....

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th March 2015, 06:38 PM
Did the 2015 sub manage to make it through then? I still keep up with the pixel dan reviews, but don't give a crap about the rest, but so far, none of the figures lately have been all that great.

Aside from Mr. GITd.:D

Gofigure
7th March 2015, 10:39 PM
Did the 2015 sub manage to make it through then? I still keep up with the pixel dan reviews, but don't give a crap about the rest, but so far, none of the figures lately have been all that great.

Aside from Mr. GITd.:D

Yeah it got thru. I'm waiting on the 1st quarter shipment shortly. Figured it was the last true 'classics' year so I bought the sub

Destructicon
27th December 2015, 07:18 PM
I am thinking of taking a dip at this two pack but I need some options on the price. The seller has lowered it a few times but by the time it arrives to me, it will be around 475 US. What do you reckon pop or pass ? Thanks Lads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skeletor-Panthor-2-Pack-Masters-Of-The-Universe-He-Man-Moc-Sealed-Motu-Two-Gift/201478913743?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D34882%26meid%3Da7bcf15f0d354f008dc409f4fc41 7f46%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D1118 40871049

Omega Metro
23rd January 2019, 08:31 PM
Is $150 a good price for a Classics Scareglow? :)

Dan
14th February 2019, 08:20 PM
I hope this thread allows for questions about the Filmation cartoon, not just the Mattel toys.

There's a particular episode in which someone says that Eternia exists close to the border of different dimensions or universes, and that is why both technology and magic work there. As a kid this comment blew me away. I was kind of snooty about a show that mixed genres like that (I'm much more accepting of it as an adult) but this line showed that the writers cared about making sense of things, and it stuck with me.

I would love to watch that episode again just to put context to that statement. Sites like the MOTU fan wiki mention this factoid but don't tell me which ep it's from. Can anyone enlighten me? :)

Paulbot
18th February 2019, 09:04 PM
I’ve been seeing this tweet a few times today celebrating the 37th anniversary reveal of the MOTU toyline for the first time at the New York Toy Fair

https://twitter.com/battleramblog/status/1097123224004059141?s=21

https://i.imgur.com/TWhY7ehl.jpg

Is there any reason why the guy named Zodac is so obscure? Seems odd for a first generation character. I have no recall of seeing him in anything.

griffin
18th February 2019, 09:45 PM
Maybe being a neutral character who was god-like (if I recall correctly), didn't allow for much creative usage in the comic and cartoon... which would drive the toy sales (the less a toy is featured, the less likely it will be bought, or be in demand for future re-releases).

Jetfire in the sky
25th February 2019, 07:44 PM
I've seen Zodak so many times in my collecting years, hard to get with proper armour, usually has the weapons pack stuff, but yeah he is supposed to be a neutral being but as kids we always had him as a goodie. In the 200X cartoon he is similar to the Sorceress in that he protects Grayskull but only in a few episodes Great picture.

griffin
5th April 2022, 08:29 PM
Not a question... but a sighting that I saw at Kmart on Friday - a Hot Wheels car replicating (very well) the classic 80s Land Shark vehicle.

I was almost tempted to buy it, and had to look to see if there were more... and not those crappy regular vehicles with themed paint or strange parts added... I wanted to see if they had done more miniature replicas of 80s MOTU toys, and it looks like they have done three - The Land Shark, the Windraider, and the Battle Ram.

Apparently there is also a SDCC 2-pack of the Land Shark and Wind Raider, with mini Skelator and Heman figures.

http://toycollectors.com.au/2022km09.jpg

Kranix
11th April 2022, 09:03 PM
With all the reissue MOTU available, do people still buy the originals? A little while ago my parents dropped off a few big boxes of vintage MOTU figures, vehicle and play sets from when I was a kid. eBay has been showing some high prices for vintage stuff in the time I've watched but I'm not sure they actually sell for these prices?

Or is it like Transformers, where the stuff that wasn't reissued pulls decent coin? I'm thinking I'll just throw a few lots on eBay but if some items are worth more, I'll need to research more. Thanks

Jetfire in the sky
1st May 2022, 06:40 PM
With all the reissue MOTU available, do people still buy the originals? A little while ago my parents dropped off a few big boxes of vintage MOTU figures, vehicle and play sets from when I was a kid. eBay has been showing some high prices for vintage stuff in the time I've watched but I'm not sure they actually sell for these prices?

Or is it like Transformers, where the stuff that wasn't reissued pulls decent coin? I'm thinking I'll just throw a few lots on eBay but if some items are worth more, I'll need to research more. Thanks

Vintage is still very hot, you need to be willing to post international though.

Kranix
27th May 2022, 08:27 AM
Vintage is still very hot, you need to be willing to post international though.

Thanks, JITS. I've gotten all these together now and deciding how I sell them. Easier in one lot but nowhere near as good a return. Selling off your childhood needs a return, right? ;) I'll probably choose the most time efficient path though. I could seperate out some, I guess. For example, King Randor seems to be in demand but his Cape is missing, so maybe not worth it. I'll decide soon. Cheers