PDA

View Full Version : Replacement R.I.D Optimus Tyres?

Ryathalas
10th November 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi,
Anyone know of anyone that makes or sells replacement tyres,As my RID optimus tyres are had it :(
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b214/yleehs/wheels.jpg
Cheers
:)

5FDP
10th November 2010, 08:05 PM
You're best off buying a junker and using that for parts. Good luck :)

Tabias Prime
10th November 2010, 08:49 PM
the problem is all the junkers have the same problem:confused::confused::confused:...mine have the same issue and I think the majority of people on this board have had the same thing happen to their wheels...

kurdt_the_goat
10th November 2010, 09:42 PM
Only a junker Takara one would be worth pillaging.

griffin
11th November 2010, 01:04 AM
Is it possible, or recommended to just glue the entire tyre to the wheel - all the way around, so even if it keeps splitting, the bits won't fall off? Would the result look dodgy?

Ryathalas
11th November 2010, 09:44 AM
I was talking to a guy at work last night he restores old Indian Motorcycles,I asked if possible to get some rubber piping and slice some tyres,He reakons its a goer and I'm going to take my wheels in and he'll make me some,I'll post pictures when this happens:D

Sharky
11th November 2010, 09:53 AM
was it just RID Prime that had split tyre problem,

i dug mine out last night and had a look and he appears to be ok same with my car robots version and the two ultra magnus (or is it Magnii)

kup
11th November 2010, 11:02 AM

i dug mine out last night and had a look and he appears to be ok same with my car robots version and the two ultra magnus (or is it Magnii)

Omega Supreme has this too. The rubber wheels harden and begin to split and break.

LordCyrusOmega
11th November 2010, 03:11 PM
How can i prevent this from happening to my Rid Prime and Magnus?

kup
11th November 2010, 07:30 PM
How can i prevent this from happening to my Rid Prime and Magnus?

I don't think you can but I guess that trying to keep the figure in a dry and cool environment away from sunlight will always help.

bruticus
11th November 2010, 07:47 PM
have you tried pillaging tyres from scale model trucks?

i've also read somewhere that people used layers of black electrical tape to replace the tyre...the results looked pretty good from memory.

Ryathalas
11th November 2010, 08:20 PM
have you tried pillaging tyres from scale model trucks?

i've also read somewhere that people used layers of black electrical tape to replace the tyre...the results looked pretty good from memory.

Hmmm this may work black electrical tape might give it a go :)

GoktimusPrime
11th November 2010, 09:26 PM

A lot of the RiD toys had this problem as Hasbro appeared to have used a cheaper and inferior grade of rubber compared to Takara.

I got Super Fire Convoy in 2000. I got RiD Optimus Prime in 2002. A few months after buying RiD Optimus Prime, the tyres split. The tyres on my Super Fire Convoy remain in tact <touch wood> The tyres on my X-Brawn have also split. The tyres on my God Magnus, Super Mach Alert and clear Mach Alert are all fine. So I've experienced split tyres on at least two of my RiD toys, but all my Car Robot tyres are just fine. And I've heard widespread reports of RiD tyres splitting.

I suppose the RiD tyres are like G1 gold plastic or the brown plastic on Transmetal Megatron... brittle to the point that they're prone to breaking.

gekisou
12th November 2010, 10:54 AM
I'm sure the rubber tyres will eventually split but that will take forever, I have original G1 toys with rubber tyres that are still good today.

I agree with Goktimus here. I've also heard of RiD tyres having this problem. I don't have RiD toys so I'm not sure how much I can comment but friends of mine have had this problem. I think it depends on where you store them as Kup has mentioned.

VERT
12th November 2010, 01:09 PM
Make easy press moulds of the tyres and squirt some silicon rubber into it and make new ones. Been going to do that for years just no time

LordCyrusOmega
12th November 2010, 06:30 PM
I don't think you can but I guess that trying to keep the figure in a dry and cool environment away from sunlight will always help.

Thanks. Try to keep my toys in that sort of environment so heres hoping