PDA

View Full Version : vietnam

Autocon
12th November 2010, 01:03 AM
any one speak this langauge fluently?

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 01:35 AM
I do, to a crappy extent. Toi be chet roi.

bruticus
12th November 2010, 02:16 AM
vietnam is a language? :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2010, 09:55 AM
vietnam is a language? :rolleyes:

I actually knew this Japanese guy living in Australia whose standard reply to marketers, Jehovah's Witnesses etc. was (in a deliberately heavy Japanese accent), "Sorry, I don't speak England." ;) :D

Umm... the only words I know in Vietnamese are (and they're probably not spelt right):
chao: hello/goodbye
cam en: thank you
mot: one
hai: two
ba: three
bon: four
pho: noodles
pho ben: noodles in soup
aaaaaaaah!: aaaaaaargh!
...yeah, that's it. :p

P.S.: Vietnamese is a tone language, so aside from spelling/pronunciation, you also need to get the tone right or it can drastically change the meaning of a word. So maybe if you say "pho" with a rising tone it might mean "noodles" (I'm just guessing), but if you said the same word with a slight dip in the tone it might change the meaning to "My sister is number 1 prostitute in all Kazahkstan." ;)

jazzcomp
12th November 2010, 10:33 AM
is it pho ben or pho bac?

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 02:09 PM
I actually knew this Japanese guy living in Australia whose standard reply to marketers, Jehovah's Witnesses etc. was (in a deliberately heavy Japanese accent), "Sorry, I don't speak England." ;) :D

Umm... the only words I know in Vietnamese are (and they're probably not spelt right):
chao: hello/goodbye
cam en: thank you
mot: one
hai: two
ba: three
bon: four
pho: noodles
pho ben: noodles in soup
aaaaaaaah!: aaaaaaargh!
...yeah, that's it. :p

P.S.: Vietnamese is a tone language, so aside from spelling/pronunciation, you also need to get the tone right or it can drastically change the meaning of a word. So maybe if you say "pho" with a rising tone it might mean "noodles" (I'm just guessing), but if you said the same word with a slight dip in the tone it might change the meaning to "My sister is number 1 prostitute in all Kazahkstan." ;)

is it pho ben or pho bac?

I am of Viet. background and I say Pho which to me and my family (and many resturants that translate their menus into English) Rice Noodles in Soup. However most people don't so Pho alone and say:

Pho Bo - pronounced 'Foh Borr' which is Rice Noodles in Beef Soup

Pho Ga - pronounced 'Foh Yahh' which is Rice Noodles in Chicken Soup

Pho Dac Biet - pronounced 'Foh Dack Beeyet' which directly translates to Rice Noodles in Special Soup (I think) but really in most restaurants but means a Rice Noodles in Beef Soup with extra ingredients (Beef slices + Beef tripe, cartilage)

Thank you - viet is 'Cam On', pronounced 'Kam Urng'.

As Gok said, Vietnamese is a tone language that requires emphasis on using tones behind words - normally there's meant to be additonal symbols on most vietnamese words and each symbol indicates a tone you have the say a word in.

For example:
Let's look at the word 'gà' (=chicken)
In vietnamese, depending which side of Vietnam you're from the g can be pronounced as 'gh' (like English) or 'ya'.
Then there's the 'à', 'a' by itself is normally pronounced 'aa' but in 'à' with that line above which slides down to the right, that means you have to add a deep tone to the sound so it would be pronunced deeper so something like 'aaaahhh' (lol)

So looking at the word 'gà' it can be pronunced (remember with a deep tone emphasis on à' as 'gaaaahhh' or 'yaaahhh'.

Vietnamese is a language that definitely needs the auditory teaching to be taught well.

Hope this helps.

bruticus
12th November 2010, 07:46 PM
try google translate (http://translate.google.com/#en|vi|)
not perfect... but does the job

kaiden
12th November 2010, 08:19 PM
troi dat oi!

an com chua?

co ai thich an thit cho?

bruticus
12th November 2010, 08:49 PM
troi dat oi!
an com chua?
co ai thich an thit cho?
thats so right yet sooo wrong. :o

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 09:01 PM
troi dat oi!

an com chua?

co ai thich an thit cho?

Oh my buddha thit cho

Hursticon
12th November 2010, 11:34 PM
Damn you Multi-Lingual buggers! :p:D

I can count to over a million in German and I know their alphabet and a couple of basic words and sentences but that's it! :(

Wish more kids at my High School chose to do German in year 9, rather than the bludge that Woodwork was.
(Our German Teacher ended up leaving because of the low turnout :()

I envy you guys who've been able to wrap your minds and tongues around Asiatic languages, it'd sure make TF hunting more fun! ;):D

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 11:46 PM
Damn you Multi-Lingual buggers! :p:D

I can count to over a million in German and I know their alphabet and a couple of basic words and sentences but that's it! :(

Wish more kids at my High School chose to do German in year 9, rather than the bludge that Woodwork was.
(Our German Teacher ended up leaving because of the low turnout :()

I envy you guys who've been able to wrap your minds and tongues around Asiatic languages, it'd sure make TF hunting more fun! ;):D

Guten tag! Ich bin hungrig.

Du bist zu hungrig, ya? Und erotisch? ;)

Don't envy me so much Hursticon my Vietnamese is very BASIC despite haha. I learned German in Years 8-10 too as it was compulsory but dropped it as soon as I could.

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2010, 11:48 PM
"Ich habe meine Auto schluessel verschlukt" <--- "I've swallowed my car keys." :p

I can recite one poem in German:
Ein Ring sie zu knechten, One Ring to rule them all
sie alle zu finden, One Ring to find them
ins Dunkel zu treiben One Ring to bring them all
und ewig zu binden And in the darkness bind them

I can also recite this poem in Sindarin, Black Speech and Japanese... but erm, I won't do that right now. :p (feel free to ask me at the next meet :D)

...getting back on the Vietnamese topic... so anyone care to translate that poem? ;) Or how about some nifty TF phrases in Vietnamese? (e.g. "Till All Are One" etc.)