PDA

View Full Version : Sightings = Private?

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 03:36 AM
Should the sightings section be private? What do you think? Most of us contribute to the Sightings thread on a regular basis so that our fellow board members know where we can find new toys - but there are lurkers out there...

iceburn
12th November 2010, 04:01 AM
there is no need for a private sightings thread.

it's public and the reason you can set "private" is to not disclose the location
but as some fans must disagree that this hinder their search if the item are close time and there's time wastage due to PM and waiting for replies.

i'll say this that if you have close fan friends... ask them to lookout for you
else you can start a <State> Missionaries thread like the one for Melbourne Missionaries (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=63&highlight=melbourne+missionaries) and ask fellow fans to keep a watch out for you...

take that into considerations if you dont want lurkers or scalpers

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 05:44 AM
there is no need for a private sightings thread.

it's public and the reason you can set "private" is to not disclose the location
but as some fans must disagree that this hinder their search if the item are close time and there's time wastage due to PM and waiting for replies.

i'll say this that if you have close fan friends... ask them to lookout for you
else you can start a <State> Missionaries thread like the one for Melbourne Missionaries (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=63&highlight=melbourne+missionaries) and ask fellow fans to keep a watch out for you...

take that into considerations if you dont want lurkers or scalpers

Good point **Strokes chin**

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2010, 09:37 AM
but there are lurkers out there...
If those lurkers are honest collectors, which I'm sure most of them are, then I have no problem with them viewing the sightings thread. My concern though is with scalpers viewing the thread and taking advantage of sightings to go and scalp the toys. :/ I haven't been able to find WFC Soundwave anywhere (thankfully I got one yesterday with help from Deceptic_Optic who found one like 35km away from where I live).

Paulbot
12th November 2010, 09:49 AM
Later wave figures like Soundwave, Red Alert, Dirge and Blurr have only had a limited release so far. It's not a scalper issue that the toy stores are still overstocked with Wave 1 Generations and Autobot Alliance toys.

Wave 2 Generations and Power Core Combiners were hard to find a month ago and now they are being found more regularly. Just because one member found something at a Toyworld doesn't mean it's going to be at your local Kmart the same day, and if it's not at your local Kmart today it doesn't mean they will never get it.

If there's any Private sightings they should be for limited released/exclusive toys (TRU's Masterpiece Grimlock and Ghost Starscream for instance) not for toys that are in general release.

SharkyMcShark
12th November 2010, 10:17 AM
To be fair the reason I signed up for OTCA was because I used the sightings forum to nab one of the few NEST Alliance Dirges in the state at the time and felt I should give back as well.

Lint
12th November 2010, 12:04 PM
To be fair the reason I signed up for OTCA was because I used the sightings forum to nab one of the few NEST Alliance Dirges in the state at the time and felt I should give back as well.

Ditto, minus the NEST Alliance Dirges :p

Keep the sightings public.

Oilspill
12th November 2010, 12:35 PM

That's exactly what I did too. Well, not exactly as it wasn't Nest Alliance Dirge - but you get my point :D

Besides, if there were that many scalpers, wouldn't eBay Australia be full of Generations Soundwaves? I see a sum total of zero on eBay at the moment (that are in Australia). I'd say Paulbot is right, the retailers have not been getting much in stock.

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2010, 01:22 PM
WFC Soundwave may not be scalped (could be just an issue with distribution - much like with the Ultra Transmetal 2s), but there have been examples of scalping in the past. When the first TF movie came out I reckon the Deluxe Bumblebees got scalped. Luckily I bought them as soon as I saw them, but I noticed that soon after that they were hard to find. I remember when I got Concept Camaro Bumblebee... I was at TRU and they'd just opened a case awaiting shelving. I grabbed one straight from the box and bought it. I returned to that same TRU like a day later and the Bumblebees were sold out.

Now I'm not necessarily suggesting that we privatise the sightings section to protect it from scalpers per se, I'm just saying that accessibility by scalpers is an issue with having that section being publicly visible and that, in my opinion, TF scalpers do exist. I can't think of an easy solution to this problem, and I suppose in the end keeping the section public probably does more good than harm.

ITZTRU
12th November 2010, 01:23 PM
I haven't seen soundwave anywhere either. Then I find him twice in two days at different stores. also found red alert for anyone whos interested in melb...

Paulbot
12th November 2010, 01:31 PM
WFC Soundwave may not be scalped (could be just an issue with distribution - much like with the Ultra Transmetal 2s), but there have been examples of scalping in the past. When the first TF movie came out I reckon the Deluxe Bumblebees got scalped. Luckily I bought them as soon as I saw them, but I noticed that soon after that they were hard to find. I remember when I got Concept Camaro Bumblebee... I was at TRU and they'd just opened a case awaiting shelving. I grabbed one straight from the box and bought it. I returned to that same TRU like a day later and the Bumblebees were sold out.

Bumblebee... the most prominent character in the movie? Nowadays you can't enter a toy store without seeing some sort of movie Bumblebee toy but in 2007 that wasn't the case. I don't see that proof of scalping but rather of kids and their powerful "buy me that mummy" powers.

The Ultra Transmetal 2s did have limited distribution, but it's not 2000 anymore. I don't think there's signs of that problem with the 2010 toyline yet. They are just not restocking them as quickly because the wave 1 Autobot Alliance toys are overstocked (or at least they are in every Vic store I've been to).

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 01:48 PM
After reading the comments I take back my comment regarding lurkers - they're not bad if they are genuine collectors of TFs - they just beat me to the hunt :) But what does bother me is scalpers, though there is some vague evidence to justify that scalpers use this site, I have noticed that within a month or so at my local TRUs no more Masterpiece Grimlocks were ever sighted again - but then again there was a very small limited release considering how expensive that toy is.

griffin
12th November 2010, 03:06 PM
Sightings will remain public, because if they were made private like the meets section, a 'lurker' scalper would just register and gain access anyway. No point in penalising lurkers or parents, on a vain/wasted attempt at stopping scalpers who would gain access anyway.

Lint
12th November 2010, 03:24 PM
If it makes you feel any better Skywarp91 if I were a toy scalper i'd be doing some serious networking with store managers/employees to secure myself stock as soon as it is officially deployed on the shelves instead of relying on (and competing against) a bunch of kidults on a ramshackle forum :)

On the flipside our syndicated buying arguably causes untold misery to parents and children who are looking to buy a particular toy for xmas or from a sale catalogue only to have the shelves scoured of what they were after. It's only fair game that they can partake of toy sightings too. If no-one else can help and if they can find us :p

Okay that probably just made you feel worse now :rolleyes:

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 06:33 PM
If it makes you feel any better Skywarp91 if I were a toy scalper i'd be doing some serious networking with store managers/employees to secure myself stock as soon as it is officially deployed on the shelves instead of relying on (and competing against) a bunch of kidults on a ramshackle forum :)

On the flipside our syndicated buying arguably causes untold misery to parents and children who are looking to buy a particular toy for xmas or from a sale catalogue only to have the shelves scoured of what they were after. It's only fair game that they can partake of toy sightings too. If no-one else can help and if they can find us :p

Okay that probably just made you feel worse now :rolleyes:

I'm not feeling bad or anything about this, I'm just posting a thought. But it seems that the sightings will remain public so this thread can be closed... ...if only I knew how to do it.

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2010, 08:52 PM
Sightings will remain public, because if they were made private like the meets section, a 'lurker' scalper would just register and gain access anyway. No point in penalising lurkers or parents, on a vain/wasted attempt at stopping scalpers who would gain access anyway.

I agree. It wouldn't be fair to inconvenience the honest majority in fear of the remote chance of aiding the occasional scalper that might lurk here. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

gdmetro
12th November 2010, 10:22 PM
From reading online from other toy fandoms on how scalpers operate- I seriously doubt they would hinge on our sightings section to be able to practice scalping effectively. That is, making the sightings private is insignificant towards affecting scalping- it would only hurt the more legitimate non-members who would use it.

I think those that are professional scalpers would frequent the regular stores in a number of areas, already calculated which are the rarer ones to buy up. They would know accurately when stock arrives, maybe via staff whom might take a cut out of profits- to help them. Most likely bought up before the assortment is even packed onto shelves. Maybe other techniques I don't know of.
I've even heard of some know the case assortment codes on boxes of shipment to know whether a rare fig is in there. (Can't remember where I read this from).

NB:Most of this is in the U.S. so I can't say the same for us here.

Even assuming that the sightings thread updates consistently for every area- which it does not, that would still not aid much from what I understand to be professional scalpers.

Unless you are trying to prevent opportunistic buying - by that I mean a regular person/collector seeing a scarcer figure and would want to capitalize on buying up of that figure from 1 or 2 shops- would this be so detrimental to us to even term it as 'scalping'?

SkyWarp91
12th November 2010, 11:30 PM
From reading online from other toy fandoms on how scalpers operate- I seriously doubt they would hinge on our sightings section to be able to practice scalping effectively. That is, making the sightings private is insignificant towards affecting scalping- it would only hurt the more legitimate non-members who would use it.

I think those that are professional scalpers would frequent the regular stores in a number of areas, already calculated which are the rarer ones to buy up. They would know accurately when stock arrives, maybe via staff whom might take a cut out of profits- to help them. Most likely bought up before the assortment is even packed onto shelves. Maybe other techniques I don't know of.
I've even heard of some know the case assortment codes on boxes of shipment to know whether a rare fig is in there. (Can't remember where I read this from).

NB:Most of this is in the U.S. so I can't say the same for us here.

Even assuming that the sightings thread updates consistently for every area- which it does not, that would still not aid much from what I understand to be professional scalpers.

Unless you are trying to prevent opportunistic buying - by that I mean a regular person/collector seeing a scarcer figure and would want to capitalize on buying up of that figure from 1 or 2 shops- would this be so detrimental to us to even term it as 'scalping'?

Well when i started this thread I had two things in mind - the 1st is to warn off potential scalpers/lurkers (later changed my mind to scalpers because lurkers are genuine TF collectors too) - but as many posts previously have said; there isn't much proof that scalpers would even use this board and that they're probably using a different approach such as having someone in the inside to help them. And 2nd, I thought privatizing this section would add a level of exclusivity to the board, but as Griffs pointed out it ain't needed.

Seraphim Prime
13th November 2010, 01:47 PM
Didn't we have this debate a few years ago (around the time of the first movie) because we were worried scalpers were nabbing all the new releases? I remember locations used to be in white and/or in spoiler tags. I think the forum did used to be a private one.

I think as a community we decided that we weren't that concerned about scalpers potentially reading the forum and finding out where something was, when compared with the actual TF fans who would probably appreciate knowing where they can get a figure they've been seeking. As evidenced by SharkyMcShark, Oilspill, and Lint.

I think the argument had come up because there had been an issue with scalping of the first movie toys - particularly Bumblebee. I saw one person walk out of my local Big W with 5 Bumblebees once. But you know what, I got over it, and Hasbro has recently satrted doing a pretty good job of making sure people can get their favourite character without relying on scalper prices on Ebay (pretty much the reason why Bumblebee will get three different releases in a movie year with only slighly varied colour scheme).

Sky Shadow
13th November 2010, 02:08 PM
Since these days it's cheaper to buy most toys online than in shops anyway, I'd say the scalpers are welcome to them. Let them scalp all the $250 Masterpiece Ghost Starscreams they can carry.

Hursticon
13th November 2010, 02:09 PM
Since these days it's cheaper to buy most toys online than in shops anyway, I'd say the scalpers are welcome to them. Let them scalp all the $250 Masterpiece Ghost Starscreams they can carry.

Too right dude! :D

jaydisc
13th November 2010, 02:40 PM
Personally, I don't think scalpers have even existed since the '07 Movie.

gdmetro
13th November 2010, 03:11 PM

This. :D

Imagine what the re-sell price would be :eek:

$500 for a the rarest of the rare starscreams :rolleyes:

Hursticon
13th November 2010, 05:08 PM
Imagine what the re-sell price would be :eek:

$500 for a the rarest of the rare starscreams :rolleyes:

I truly wouldn't put it past some of them dude, isn't it funny though how almost every TF auction on eBay has the word Rare somewhere in the ad? :rolleyes:

Robzy
14th November 2010, 10:07 PM
It's funny that this question was raised, as I was thinking about this the other day...

Many of the Oz forums that I'm on (non-TF related) have Private Sightings Sections. In fact, I think it's unusual that Ozformers' Sightings Sections are public... not that I'm complaining. I find it frustrating when I have to sign up just to see where a toy might be.

spooniebeard
20th November 2010, 11:27 AM
After reading the comments I take back my comment regarding lurkers - they're not bad if they are genuine collectors of TFs - they just beat me to the hunt :)

That might have been me :D

I've used the sightings section to keep track of releases for years now. It really helps because I'm far too lazy to go out looking more than once a week. Plus I've been trying to reciprocate as well.

Making it private might help if this community was five times larger, then people might start butting heads over floor stock and who gets what. Thankfully that's not the case and people here actually help one another.

Heh heh, I once bought almost every Generations figure Big W had once. When drift first came out I got WFC Prime, Bumblebee, a Drift for me and another for a friend. There was nothing left but a Thrust. A few kids were there too and I just walked straight past em with five figures, makes me wonder what went through their heads.

SkyWarp91
20th November 2010, 12:52 PM
A few kids were there too and I just walked straight past em with five figures, makes me wonder what went through their heads.

'So that's where all the new toys go'