PDA

View Full Version : 2010 OTCA Christmas Appeal

STL
12th November 2010, 03:18 PM
The title sums it all up. For a long time now, I've been thinking of this idea. I think I first discussed this with Griffin close to 2 years ago. However, I've now decided to stop procrastinating, get off my backside and do something about it.

The Goal
The idea is to pick two organisations that need help and are under-serviced by the larger charities like the Smith Family, the Salvation Army, Starlight Foundation etc. Together we as a community donate gifts to these under-serviced charities

My hope is that we as a community can do this once a year. It's not a charity in the sense that it is an ongoing accessible service but what I do hope it does become is a sustained once a year effort to make a little difference in the lives of some of those kids who are not so fortunate at this time of the year.

I have one Charitable organisation that I'm working with at the moment. The other slot is still to be filled:
1.) Orana Family Services (http://oranafamilyservices.org.au/)
2.) [TBD]

But why us?

We all come to OTCA because we as a community share a common interest that spawned from the same thing. Toys were a big part of our childhoods and still are today. They've helped to entertain us, inspire us, and spark our imagination and it's my hope we can use Christmas as a once a year occasion where we can try and share this.

Some other questions/points:
- One other thing we as a community are good at is knowing when a good deal/clearance is on because we go hunting in the aisles so frequently. This means throughout the year, we could easily buy cheap toys when we see them on sale. For instance, the $12 deluxes or $3 legends come to mind. Lego clearances as well are good. Like little boxes often get cleared at K-Mart for $2 and so on. So I think that makes us better positioned to get bang for our charity bucks over the course of an entire year.

- No one should feel obligated to spend a certain amount. It's about giving and sharing. Not about the $$$ spent. No gift is too poor or too little. An RPM or a deluxe? Unimportant. To an unhappy family, an unhappy child, this is a little bit of happiness and that's the most important bit.

- What happens if you're interstate but still want to contribute? I can supply the charity's address. They will know it's coming from us. Let me know as well so we can keep a register. If you've bought something earlier in the year but don't want the hassle of storing it all year, I'm happy for you to send it to me.

- How do we get it there?
I'm happy to act as a collection point/collector in Melbourne. If you're from interstate, I'll supply an address. Importantly though, mention the "OTCA 2010 Christmas Appeal" in the "From" section.

- About me? Most longstanding members of the board will know me, I've been around here for awhile now. But beyond my interest here, I've been personally involved in charitable causes for the last 10 years of my life. In that time, I've helped out with the Salvation Army Outreach program, organised playgroups in the North-western suburbs in Victoria, participated in local parks programs, helped manage indigenous awareness programs, family law clinics, tutored kids with disabilities, worked with churches to provide support to families in need and many other activities. It's not my day job, no., but I'm very passionate about this and have a lot experience working with such groups.

- There's still one charity slot to fill. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions let me know. I have a few ideas already on who and where to approach but more than happy to work with any other organisation too.

- I'm toying with the idea of tracking how many toys we've accumulated over the year for each Christmas. I will investigate this further though.

Any questions or comments are more than welcome.

Remember, no gift is too little. Every bit counts.

1AZRAEL1
12th November 2010, 03:22 PM
I love this idea. I'll do some hunting when I get paid again and help out by buying some legends or something.

Bartrim
12th November 2010, 03:24 PM
Great idea.

I've got some tf's I'd be willing to give away. Does loose matter? Otherwise I've got some other stuff still sealed I can give away.

Hursticon
12th November 2010, 03:35 PM
A very good idea indeed. ;)

This year I've had a number of run ins with parents and little-ies that are big on Transformers which to me demonstrates that our beloved franchise is certainly enjoying a renaissance with scores of news fans. :cool:

I have no doubt that there would be a high number of disadvantaged children that would love a TF, so I'd like to throw my full support behind this cause. ;):)

I've not a lot of money, but I'd very much like to play a part. :D

loophole
12th November 2010, 03:46 PM
awesome idea!! i would gladly help out

BigPenney
12th November 2010, 05:10 PM
I would certainly like to help out with this. :)

Gutsman Heavy
12th November 2010, 05:14 PM
I've a lot of TFs that I haven't been able to/to lazy to sell. Not new but in good condition, would they be alright?

Autocon
13th November 2010, 03:11 AM
i fully indorse this idea!!!!:D:D:cool::D awsome stuff!!

Seraphim Prime
13th November 2010, 01:37 PM
I like the idea.

But to all those saying that they have a few old TFs they could donate, to me, you seem to kind of miss the point. Think how excited you were as kid to get a toy you weren't expecting. Something that was yours and yours alone. Many of the kids that will get gifts through these services have never had that many things they can call their own, and to get a brand new toy that has all its pieces that has never been played with by anyone else is smoething they don't get to experience often, and is something most of us could provide for them quite easily.

As for other organisations to support, it's a little late for this year, but for future years can I suggest Operation Christmas Child (http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.au/). That way we will have one Australian charity and one international charity? Basically the idea is you fill a shoebox with gifts appropriate for a certain child, then Samaritan's Purse will distribute them to people in the developing world (like Ethiopia, Burma, etc) who would not otherwise receive presents.

5FDP
13th November 2010, 02:00 PM
But to all those saying that they have a few old TFs they could donate, to me, you seem to kind of miss the point.

It would be wise to keep in mind that not everyone is in a position to donate a brand new toy.

This is a completely personal decision and I'm sure that whatever is donated would be appreciated by a child less fortunate.

As STL said, no gift is too little. Every bit counts.

Hursticon
13th November 2010, 02:05 PM
It would be wise to keep in mind that not everyone is in a position to donate a brand new toy.

This is a completely personal decision and I'm sure that whatever is donated would be appreciated by a child less fortunate.

As STL said, no gift is too little. Every bit counts.

Agreed,

Whether a toy is 1st or 2nd hand is irrelevant by the fact that these poor kids would be lucky to receive anything at all.
I grew up on 2nd hand toys, so yeah a brand new one was certainly a surprise but I would've been just as happy with a 2nd hand toy.

I also have a personal problem with donating to International Charities, shouldn't we help out those in our own backyard first?
Just sayin'...

Tabias Prime
13th November 2010, 02:06 PM
Dude I was thinking of suggesting this myself but you have already beaten me to it...not that I mind..all glory to you for going ahead with it:D:D

This isn't something that I have shared before. I use to be a Salvo( yes even down to the uniform, hat and playing in the brass band). I had a fair bit to do with the charity side of the Salvos and the biggest problem we would run into at this time of year when sorting presents for the kids, would be sever lack of toys for boys for the ages between 7 and 12. This would be a great gape filler for the Salvos because what would happen is they would have to go out and purchase toys for this group that gets missed...this is a big chunk out of their yearly budget for this time of year...Also the Salvos are easily accessible in each of our perspective states...

Just a insiders perspective on the Salvos...and I hope it helps..

gamblor916
13th November 2010, 02:12 PM
I would be glad to help out but who's organising things?

Seraphim Prime
13th November 2010, 02:26 PM
Whether a toy is 1st or 2nd hand is irrelevant by the fact that these poor kids would be lucky to receive anything at all.

I just raise it, because it's how I see the topic - similar to your opionion of international charities quoted below - and know that some organisations actually won't accept second-hand toys for that very reasons that I shared. Can Tabias clarify?

And by new toy, I'm not saying a voyager or a deluxe necessarily. As STL has said it could be a Legends TF, one of the small Lego sets, a larger Lego set that goes on clearance. These are things that could be easily provided by sacrificing a bought lunch or a cup of coffee.

I also have a personal problem with donating to International Charities, shouldn't we help out those in our own backyard first?
Just sayin'...

That's cool. No one else had made a suggestion, and Christmas Child is one I've helped out with a few times before. I see you're point about helping our backyard, but from a global perspective our backyard has it easier than many billions of people living internationally. Not to say that it's easy, but that other people have it harder, and would also appreciate some help.

There will always be needs in our own backyard, and if we focus just on them, then there are many more people who will not recieve any help at all, simply because they were not fortunate enough to be born in Australia.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

Gutsman Heavy
13th November 2010, 03:17 PM
I've no issue in donating a new toy, I'm interested to know if there's a charity that I can donate my unwanted TFs that will actually go to children as opposed to being sold for $1.50 in the op shop

Hursticon
13th November 2010, 03:28 PM
I just raise it, because it's how I see the topic - similar to your opionion of international charities quoted below - and know that some organisations actually won't accept second-hand toys for that very reasons that I shared. Can Tabias clarify?

And by new toy, I'm not saying a voyager or a deluxe necessarily. As STL has said it could be a Legends TF, one of the small Lego sets, a larger Lego set that goes on clearance. These are things that could be easily provided by sacrificing a bought lunch or a cup of coffee.

Interesting that some organisations wont accept 2nd hand toys, I didn't know this.
I do know that soft toys filled with foam beans and the like, can't be sold for obvious health and safety reasons.

What I'd maybe suggest though, is that if people wish to donate 2nd hand toys, then don't donate anything that is broken or missing key bits like limbs - there was nothing more frustrating as a kid rifling through the toy areas of my local OP Shops, often overflowing with stuffed toys :mad::p, only to find a cool figure, TF or not, that was missing a leg or an arm.

Indeed, I agree that new toy donations don't have to be Supreme, Leader, Voyager or Deluxe as anything is better than nothing, but I also understand that some aren't even able to afford the lesser scale figures, especially if they've kids of their own.

I just think that there should be options because I think what can deter people from donating things is being told unreasonably what they can and can't donate, I'm not suggesting anyone is doing that just that I was brought up with the belief that one must be thankful for what they are given and not to bite the hand that feeds you.

That's cool. No one else had made a suggestion, and Christmas Child is one I've helped out with a few times before. I see you're point about helping our backyard, but from a global perspective our backyard has it easier than many billions of people living internationally. Not to say that it's easy, but that other people have it harder, and would also appreciate some help.

There will always be needs in our own backyard, and if we focus just on them, then there are many more people who will not recieve any help at all, simply because they were not fortunate enough to be born in Australia.

Just my own thoughts on the subject.

I agree that there are others around the world that need help and I know that Australians are generally better off, but then we have fought that privilege and some have unfortunately fallen through the cracks, hence why I believe that we should look locally first.

I think the suggestion Seraphim is certainly not without merit though, I feel sorry for those over in Africa who live under oppressive regimes and those who are affected by natural disasters - but maybe seems this is more or less our first drive, per say, maybe we should take Baby steps first?

In the end though I think the idea of donations is a bloody top suggestion and what ever the majority decides to do, I'm with them. :)

Burn
13th November 2010, 05:08 PM
I'm all for it. I'm also with Hursticon in that i'd rather see it stick to a dedicated Australian charity group for the simple fact i'd rather help out my own country first before reaching out overseas.

Toy ... money ... whoever's organising it just tell me where to send whatever's needed.

And when it's all over, I think we should get photos of everything being handed over and then spread it around the various international sites to encourage them.

Saintly
14th November 2010, 10:23 PM
are we doing this state by state?

STL
14th November 2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and support. I wasn’t sure how it would be received but the positive feedback really reminds me of what a great community we have here.

I would be glad to help out but who's organising things?

I’m chucking up my hand for this, I did bring it up after all. But if anyone else is keen on helping out too, let me know. Especially if you have an idea for a charity you’d like to liaise with in your own state.

I’m going to have a chat with Orana Family Services’ Foster Care department this week. Also, if anyone has any ideas on an organisation, feel free to suggest.

Dude I was thinking of suggesting this myself but you have already beaten me to it...not that I mind..all glory to you for going ahead with it:D:D

No glory at all. Only satisfaction we can all share if we do this. This is about all of us knuckling down and its great to see that I wasn’t the only one thinking of this b/c one of my worries was there just might not be any interest to support the idea.

This isn't something that I have shared before. I use to be a Salvo( yes even down to the uniform, hat and playing in the brass band). I had a fair bit to do with the charity side of the Salvos and the biggest problem we would run into at this time of year when sorting presents for the kids, would be sever lack of toys for boys for the ages between 7 and 12. This would be a great gape filler for the Salvos because what would happen is they would have to go out and purchase toys for this group that gets missed...this is a big chunk out of their yearly budget for this time of year...Also the Salvos are easily accessible in each of our perspective states...

Just a insiders perspective on the Salvos...and I hope it helps..

Part of what I’m thinking when I use the term under-service is organisations that would otherwise not even have the money to give something. That’s why I’m thinking of more smaller organisations that may not be as well known or serviced.

I will keep this in mind though. I know guys from the Salvation Army and may contact them down the line for some other groups they’d like to reach out to but just don’t have the resources or we might even just work through them.

As for other organisations to support, it's a little late for this year, but for future years can I suggest Operation Christmas Child (http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.au/). That way we will have one Australian charity and one international charity? Basically the idea is you fill a shoebox with gifts appropriate for a certain child, then Samaritan's Purse will distribute them to people in the developing world (like Ethiopia, Burma, etc) who would not otherwise receive presents.

Just sayin'...

On the issue of contributing to international charities, I am more than partial to the idea. We live in a shared world and to be able to share with not only our local communities but the global community would be an amazing achievement. That said, I do agree that our first focus should be local. My vision for this was to eventually support an appeal in each state if we could. Eventually if we got large enough, my hope was we could look beyond our shores. An alternative is we could alternate each year and focus on a different charity – domestic or international. But in the immediacy, I’d like to keep our focus local.

are we doing this state by state?

Not yet but as I alluded to above, that’s my vision for an annual OTCA Christmas appeal eventually. This year, I want to start with two states and position ourselves. Once we’ve been able to deliver and have relationships in place, it’s easier to contact more organisations and expand b/c we have a track record. I also am worried about stretching ourselves too thin early on and achieving not very much. Part of my thinking is to feel our way about and make sure we’re comfortable with the whole process.

I've got some tf's I'd be willing to give away. Does loose matter? Otherwise I've got some other stuff still sealed I can give away.

I've a lot of TFs that I haven't been able to/to lazy to sell. Not new but in good condition, would they be alright?

I’m really, really glad you guys have brought this up. The issue of secondhand toys is something that’s crossed my mind too but I wasn’t sure if I should bring that up in this initial discussion just b/c we’re still trying to get the charity off the ground. I’ve been trying to think of the best use of this concept b/c I know we as collectors will come to a stage where there are toys we just have no use for anymore.

I have a few thoughts. My first one is potentially liasing with children’s playgroups in local areas around the country and seeing how amenable they might be to receiving secondhand toys. This would be a great way for us to be green as well as prolong the use of our toys. I’m more than happy to serve as an intermediary and establish contact with certain organisations.

Another alternative is one that requires more work is setting up a little “Transformers” playgroup. Run it once a week on a weekend for families to bring their kids in to watch Transformers, play with transformers – which would be secondhand ones. This would be a great little way to interact with our communities and give something back. Something kids could look forward to and spark their imagination. It is harder though. We’d need a space to rent. Regulatory requirements would be needed as well and volunteers too.

Thirdly, we can recycle the toys as long as they are in good condition and simply repackage them. In this, I mean, we buy say a gift box, print off instructions and put it nice inside and gift wrap it. I’m not so sure about this yet though. As much as I’d like to think people would be happy just to receive a gift, I feel that in our first year of donating we don’t want to be seen as donating secondhand toys largely. I think this is a great way for it to evolve down the line but in our first year, where we want to make a footprint and show the organisations we want to work with that we are deeply committed, having to explain the secondhand toys are in good nick just makes it a little harder in my opinion.

In any event, I do believe this idea is definitely worth revisiting but let’s think of what is the best way to approach this in the new year. For the moment, let’s focus on Christmas 2010. But many thanks to all who brought this up!

As mentioned above, by the end of the week I hope to at least settle one of the charity’s details so that I share it here. I’m also going to contact Australia Post and see if there is some sort of options they might have for non-profit accounts. This way, any of you guys interstate don’t have to pay as much or I can help bear that cost. I’ll keep you all posted as soon as I know.

Thanks for all the support so far. And any other questions or comments, please keep them coming!

1AZRAEL1
15th November 2010, 10:48 AM
Well I think we should, instead of everyone sending something individually, maybe have someone nominate themselves for each state, or at least local, like a collection at a meet up or something, then sending it all off at once to the charity. Would save on Postage at least a little bit to send in bulk. That being said, I know there are some sort of thing that can be set up with AusPost for charities, but you would probably need to get permission off the charity, as well as alot of paperwork and such to do, that it may not be viable to get it done in time for this Xmas. Next one for sure would be a great idea.

As for second hand toys, probably best to keep that on the back burner for the time being, but well worth a look into next year I reckon.

And now that I know we are doing this, every so often when there is a sale on, I know myself and a number of others will probably pick some stuff up through the year, and post it off to what charity we will do for Xmas.

Dunno about you guys, but I get a good feeling out of helping others out, so I am all for it. And I don't mind if I am the collection person for NSW/Sydney people to send off stuff when we figure out who we are going with.

gamblor916
15th November 2010, 11:12 AM
The next Parra fair would be a good time to bring stuff.

blackie
15th November 2010, 01:26 PM
ive got a few sealed things i no longer need, would be more than happy to donate :)

Seraphim Prime
15th November 2010, 02:59 PM
I just think that there should be options because I think what can deter people from donating things is being told unreasonably what they can and can't donate, I'm not suggesting anyone is doing that just that I was brought up with the belief that one must be thankful for what they are given and not to bite the hand that feeds you.

This is very true.

I agree that there are others around the world that need help and I know that Australians are generally better off, but then we have fought that privilege and some have unfortunately fallen through the cracks, hence why I believe that we should look locally first.

I think the suggestion Seraphim is certainly not without merit though, I feel sorry for those over in Africa who live under oppressive regimes and those who are affected by natural disasters - but maybe seems this is more or less our first drive, per say, maybe we should take Baby steps first?

True, true. The organisation i suggested closes donations today anyway - otherwise there isn't enough time to distribute them before Christmas. I was proposing it for next year if people are keen, as it is one which doesn't require such a centralised organiser, and can be done state by state, or individual by individual.

I'll repeat that I'm happy to be part of whatever the group as a whole / STL decides upon.

Robzy
15th November 2010, 11:02 PM
awesome idea!! i would gladly help out

I would certainly like to help out with this. :)

Perhaps we could send them together as a group... the SA contribution..?

Either way - I'm happy to be included in this too!

STL
18th November 2010, 11:42 AM
After a week of phone tag, I just got off the phone with the Johnny from Orana Family Services. He’s the Program Manager for the Residential Care program at Orana. I explained to him our idea and he was very, very enthusiastic about.

He was very much on board and loved the way we pitched it. He loved the fact that we’re sharing something that sparks creativity and imagination as well as the learning of process and engineering that is embedded in toys like TFs and Lego. It was a big part of our childhoods and we’d like it to be part of their’s. He loved that.

He said it would be great for a lot of these kids who have been through tough times because they don’t often get something like a TF or Lego that they could really call their own. Even more so, he said that many would love one but probably never imagine having one because of their circumstances so he was very excited for what this would offer many of the kids he works with.

A bit about the Residential Care Program.

The kids that are in the Residential Care program range anywhere from 6 to 12. Some Johnny explained are a bit older but that’s because they often want to preserve the relationship and connection they’ve built up with the kids who have lived there for many years of their lives. The kids can be there for any number of reasons but it often stems from a breakdown in the family structure at a young age. Like every other kid, they go to school but when they come home, they go not to their home but to the residential care centre where they live in a small community of other kids.

Here's a linky (http://oranafamilyservices.org.au/index.php?sectionID=2152&pageID=2170).

We tried to organise a meeting for this week but he’s on leave for a week as of tomorrow and not back till the first week of December. In the meantime, he’s asked me to liaise with a lady named Katie who’s one of his case managers. We’ll be meeting next week to nut out a few more details such as age of kids/how do we determine what’s appropriate to which child?/pre-wrapped or will they wrap?/etc.

Johnny said as well he would love to meet up with us. I explained that we’re pretty much spread across the country but that it was possible for those based in Melbourne If anyone in Melbourne (or might in Melbourne in the first week of December), let me know and I’ll try and organise a meeting for all of us with him. He’d love to learn a bit more about us and how to make it easier for us to donate as well as thank us for what we’re doing. He said it wasn’t everyday that people called up helping little programs like his and he very much wanted to express his deep appreciation to us.

Next steps
Address and other details will hopefully be ready by next week. I’m having a look into the second charity right now as well and am leaning towards Queensland. But as always, any suggestions, do let me know!

1AZRAEL1
18th November 2010, 12:03 PM
Guessing that they are not just boys, so I was going to suggest maybe picking up some girls toys as well, like My Little Pony or something as well for some of them.

Also, I will be doing a pickup at the Parra fair for those that want to donate anything. Once we hammer out more of the details I will post it off to where it has got to go.

Bartrim
18th November 2010, 12:48 PM
Guessing that they are not just boys, so I was going to suggest maybe picking up some girls toys as well, like My Little Pony or something as well for some of them.

Also, I will be doing a pickup at the Parra fair for those that want to donate anything. Once we hammer out more of the details I will post it off to where it has got to go.

So I can give you the bits and pieces I want to donate?

1AZRAEL1
18th November 2010, 12:51 PM
So I can give you the bits and pieces I want to donate?

I'll take it on to be the collection person yea. Just easier and more efficient I reckon for one person to collect it all and send it off as one. More cost effective as well.

Bartrim
18th November 2010, 12:52 PM
I'll take it on to be the collection person yea. Just easier and more efficient I reckon for one person to collect it all and send it off as one. More cost effective as well.

I agree. Also is this only MISC/MOSC complete stuff? No loose stuff this year correct?

1AZRAEL1
18th November 2010, 12:57 PM
I agree. Also is this only MISC/MOSC complete stuff? No loose stuff this year correct?

Sealed stuff I think for the first time around. We will look into loose stuff for next year I think.

STL
18th November 2010, 01:20 PM

Sealed stuff I think for the first time around. We will look into loose stuff for next year I think.

Yeap, yeap. Next year.

But if you're not ready, no worries, as well. There's an idea I'm fleshing out more and more in my mind with loose TFs.

Draksprime
18th November 2010, 03:34 PM
I think its a great idea happy to donate some of my doubles, where would the drop off point be in Melbourne, date etc.

STL
18th November 2010, 06:28 PM
I think its a great idea happy to donate some of my doubles, where would the drop off point be in Melbourne, date etc.
Sure thing. If you're in Melbourne, it'll be definitely easy. Myself or anyone else who nominates themselves can be a contact point. I'm more than happy to pick up from you or at your convenience.

I'll nut out details after I've had a chat with Katie from Orana though but I expect we'll be collecting and delivering around 5 - 15th December.

G1Optimal
18th November 2010, 06:45 PM
I dont know how i am to send it , but

I Have a spare TF:ROTF D.Class Sideswipe (not opened) which i am not doing anything with and i am willing to donate.

1AZRAEL1
18th November 2010, 06:50 PM
I dont know how i am to send it , but

I Have a spare TF:ROTF D.Class Sideswipe (not opened) which i am not doing anything with and i am willing to donate.

Are you coming to the Parramatta fair this Sunday? I am collecting all the donated toys then and sending them off at a later date. If you want you can bring it along then.

G1Optimal
18th November 2010, 07:08 PM
very unlikely i will be, but i could sent it to you??
:o

but, if i need to i will just to drop it off ... :)

STL
19th November 2010, 12:16 AM

Thanks, mate for volunteering. Very kind of you and its very appreciated.

As for girls toys, I've turned my mind to that but I personally feel that it's not a necessity to have girl presents. When I explained it to Johnny, he said it wasn't an issue. They're happy to have us helping them out and what we're proposing is already more special than what they can usually offer. They especially love the thinking behind it - the creativity and implicit learning.

Lego, if there are any sales, is also a great equaliser too b/c some sets can be for both boys and girls. Like my sister loved the Creator and Toy Story sets this year.

So I don't want us to have to go out of our way to buy a cross-section of toys. I think let's stick to what's easiest and don't feel pressured you have to have a boy/girl present. The guys at Orana knew we've got a boys slant and they didn't mind at all. Definitely going forward for next year, we can keep a better eye on the toy shelves for good girl toy deals as well but please nobody go above and beyond to just and try and get a balance.

1AZRAEL1
19th November 2010, 09:04 AM
very unlikely i will be, but i could sent it to you??
:o

but, if i need to i will just to drop it off ... :)

Well I work in the city everyday (Sunday to Friday) If you wanted to drop it off. If that's no good, once we figure out where to send them to, you can post it off yourself to them, saves extra hassle. Up to you in the end, I'm pretty easy going.

Thanks, mate for volunteering. Very kind of you and its very appreciated.

As for girls toys, I've turned my mind to that but I personally feel that it's not a necessity to have girl presents. When I explained it to Johnny, he said it wasn't an issue. They're happy to have us helping them out and what we're proposing is already more special than what they can usually offer. They especially love the thinking behind it - the creativity and implicit learning.

Lego, if there are any sales, is also a great equaliser too b/c some sets can be for both boys and girls. Like my sister loved the Creator and Toy Story sets this year.

So I don't want us to have to go out of our way to buy a cross-section of toys. I think let's stick to what's easiest and don't feel pressured you have to have a boy/girl present. The guys at Orana knew we've got a boys slant and they didn't mind at all. Definitely going forward for next year, we can keep a better eye on the toy shelves for good girl toy deals as well but please nobody go above and beyond to just and try and get a balance.

No worries, was just a thought. I wander through toys anyway so If I spot something, I can just pick it up anyway.

And I'm glad to help :)

UltraMarginal
19th November 2010, 11:52 AM
I think this is a fantastic Idea!!

I have a support idea, that is germinating at the moment, just curious if you know how many kids we are talking about here? is it one place with up to 50 kids or several places with 10 -15 each, or several places with over 50 kids? is it just in Melbourne or do they operate in other cities as well?

Cheers

STL
19th November 2010, 04:39 PM
I think this is a fantastic Idea!!

I have a support idea, that is germinating at the moment, just curious if you know how many kids we are talking about here? is it one place with up to 50 kids or several places with 10 -15 each, or several places with over 50 kids? is it just in Melbourne or do they operate in other cities as well?

Cheers
Orana has a national network as well that is being reintegrated is my understanding. I'm hoping to leverage this so that we can help with one of their other sites in QLD or SA. I'm not entirely sure but am aiming to flesh this out further with them when I sit down with them next week.

I'm not entirely sure of the numbers at the one in Meadow Heights, Victoria has yet but I'll nail that down in discussions next week with them.

Gutsman Heavy
19th November 2010, 06:02 PM
Keep us informed, I'll be happy to handle the SA side

Golden Phoenix
19th November 2010, 11:06 PM
I got something to get rid of.
Count me in

UltraMarginal
21st November 2010, 11:10 PM
So my additional idea is this:

there are probably a lot of us who don't have a specific unopened transformer that we are keen to get rid of, I know I don't, mainly cause I'm a bit selfish I suppose. On top of that if we all go out and buy a legends or deluxe class figure off the shelf right now, these kids are all going to end up with the same dozen characters between them, which isn't a particularly bad thing, but I have another idea.

More to go on top of the individual donations idea, certainly not to replace it.

I'm assuming you have heard of the Big Bad Toy Store. if not look it up, bbts.com.

Anyway, they have a lot of stuff on a huge discount, and as it turns out when you buy a lot from them, international postage is pretty reasonable per figure. for example:
this is the sale list: sorry about the formatting, may look better if copied out into textpad or something.

Product # Description Sub Standard Collector Subtotal
HAS10349 Rattrap $13.99
HAS11013 Iguanus $13.99
HAS11015 Razorclaw $10.49
HAS11174 Brakedown $9.99
HAS11480 Insecticon $10.49
HAS14133 Camshaft $8.99
HAS14980 Hot Shot 100 Piece Puzzle $8.44
HAS15124 Transformers Animated Bumblebee $7.49
HAS16268 Transformers Animated Voyager Atomic Lugnut $16.79
HAS16960 Marvel Transformers Crossovers Series 04 - Spider-Man $9.49
HAS17216 Autobot Skids $6.99
HAS17230 Pulse Blast Bumblebee $8.99
HAS17234 Bumblebee $7.49
HAS17237 Sideswipe $9.49
HAS17238 Mudflap $7.19
HAS17278 Mudflap $4.99
HAS17280 Cannon Bumblebee (Transparent Windows) $7.99
HAS17323 Scout Series 03 - Set of 3 $13.99
HAS17325 Scout Series 02 - Ransack $4.49
HAS17326 Scout Series 02 - Depth Charge $5.39
HAS17343 Scout Series 02 - Dead End $5.99
HAS17344 Scout Series 02 - Knock Out $7.49
HAS17345 Scout Series 02 - Rollbar $6.49
HAS17481 Blazemaster $4.99
HAS17485 Scout Series 04 - Case of 12 $55.00
HAS17488 Scout Series 04 - Ejector $9.49
HAS17489 Scout Series 04 - Nightbeat $7.50
HAS17537 Movie Legends - Recon Bumblebee $2.80
HAS17624 Arcee $9.99
HAS17625 Stalker Scorponok $6.99
HAS17630 Autobot Gears $7.49
HAS17741 RPMs Wave 02 Revision 2 - Set of 8 $21.99
HAS17745 Battle Chargers - Optimus Prime $8.99
HAS18009 Tuner Mudflap $6.50
HAS18010 Alliance Bumblebee $6.00
HAS18099 Marvel Transformers Crossovers Series 05 - Case of 6 $76.99
HAS18102 Marvel Transformers Crossovers Series 05 - Hulk (Bulldozer) $14.99
HAS18154 Scout Series 03 - Scalpel $8.99
HAS18327 Movie Legends 2010 Series 01 - Bluesteel Sideswipe $4.59
HAS18489 Transformers Animated Freeway Jazz $12.59
HAS18508 Scout 2010 Series 01 - Wideload $9.99
HAS18573 Movie Legends 2010 Series 02 - Stealth Bumblebee $4.99
HAS18735 Generations 2010 Series 01 - Autobot Drift $9.00
HAS18753 Legends 2010 Series 01 - Cyberfire Bumblebee $4.00
HAS18851 Bumblebee $8.00
HAS18876 Deluxe 2010 Series 02 - Tuner Skids $9.00
HAS18892 Generations 2010 Series 03 - Red Alert $10.00
HAS18902 Scout 2010 Series 02 - Oil Pan $5.00
TAK10166 D-17 Autostinger (Korean Box) $9.79
TAK10167 D-18 Autocrasher (Korean Box) $8.39
TAK10367 D-20 Autolauncher (Korean Box) $9.49
TAK10744 MA-10 New Bumblebee (`08) (Import) $15.74
TAK10746 Micron Booster Case of 12 $51.49
TAK10933 EZ Collection Devastator Assortment - D2 Decepticon Mixmaster $3.30
TAK10934 EZ Collection Devastator Assortment - D4 Scavenger $4.00
TAK10935 EZ Collection Devastator Assortment - D6 Long Haul $3.30
TAK11060 MA-02 Autobot Ratchet (Import) $26.99
TAK11162 Marvel Transformers Crossovers Series 02 - Human Torch (Import) $16.79
TAK11166 Marvel Transformers Crossovers Series 04 - Black Spider-Man (Import) $16.79

Subtotal $699.05
postage on top of this is $230
divided by 98 figures ranging from legends, to deluxe and a few voyager class, a few gravity bots and FAB's. works out to be $US9.50 per figure. This is fairly scale-able as well, so half as much stuff would still work out relatively cheap. and buy buying more cases of figures it gets even better.

We could set up a bank account and people could donate directly to it, and then we could use that money to purchase a truckload of toys from BBTS, and have them delivered directly to the charity. The postage would be UPS air service and is even trackable and literally takes about 5 business days to get delivered to Australia. Of course we would edit the list attached to suit, age groups and amount of money raised, take out bad figures like movie scorponok, and maybe skids and mudflap.

Anyway, just some thoughts, let me know what you think, maybe if not this year then next year.

Cheers
UltraMarginal

I have attached a collection of links to each item:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17485
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17291
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17357
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17237
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17488
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18508
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18327
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17624
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10367
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10166
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS11174
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS11174
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18099
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK10746&mode=retail&picture=out
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS11015
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS11480
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS11013
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS10349
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS14980
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS16268
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18489
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18753
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18892
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18735
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18876
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18851
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK11060
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS14133
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17489
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18154
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17326
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17230
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10934
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17280
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17745
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10167
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK11166
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK11162
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10744
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18009
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17625
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17485
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17345
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17325
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17344
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17537
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10935
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=TAK10933
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17234
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17216
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17630
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18010
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18102
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS16960
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS15124
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18902
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17323
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17343
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17741
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17278
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17238
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18573
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17481
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17327
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17328
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17486
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17324
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17828
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS17966
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?mode=retail&product=HAS18326

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 09:21 AM
Not a bad idea, but I don't have the spare funds to buy any figures atm, I'm in a bit of debt that I am trying to crawl out of.

Anyhow, big thanks to everyone who gave me something at the Parra fair, it is very appreciated.

G1Optimal
22nd November 2010, 01:03 PM
Not a bad idea, but I don't have the spare funds to buy any figures atm, I'm in a bit of debt that I am trying to crawl out of.

Anyhow, big thanks to everyone who gave me something at the Parra fair, it is very appreciated.

So dose, that mean there is a sufficient amount to donate...??:confused:
Becuase, i could try and buy another new one "just" to donate it if there isn't. ;)

STL
22nd November 2010, 03:29 PM
So my additional idea is this:

there are probably a lot of us who don't have a specific unopened transformer that we are keen to get rid of, I know I don't, mainly cause I'm a bit selfish I suppose. On top of that if we all go out and buy a legends or deluxe class figure off the shelf right now, these kids are all going to end up with the same dozen characters between them, which isn't a particularly bad thing, but I have another idea.

More to go on top of the individual donations idea, certainly not to replace it.

I'm assuming you have heard of the Big Bad Toy Store. if not look it up, bbts.com.

Anyway, they have a lot of stuff on a huge discount, and as it turns out when you buy a lot from them, international postage is pretty reasonable per figure. for example:
this is the sale list: sorry about the formatting, may look better if copied out into textpad or something.

[snip]

We could set up a bank account and people could donate directly to it, and then we could use that money to purchase a truckload of toys from BBTS, and have them delivered directly to the charity. The postage would be UPS air service and is even trackable and literally takes about 5 business days to get delivered to Australia. Of course we would edit the list attached to suit, age groups and amount of money raised, take out bad figures like movie scorponok, and maybe skids and mudflap.

Anyway, just some thoughts, let me know what you think, maybe if not this year then next year.

Cheers
UltraMarginal

I have attached a collection of links to each item:

[snip]

Ultra Marginal, I think this is a great idea. However, given our timeframe, setting up bank accounts and coordinating this by collecting payments is a lot of work on top of just trying to coordinate the logistics of things at the moment. As fruitful as my discussions have been so far with the organisations, they're slower to mobilise on their side to help nut out the details b/c this is only one part of their organisations activities. It's great for them but on a daily basis, they're involved in coordinating and dealing any number of tasks, issues and activities to keep the residential care or foster care programs running smoothly. So I think the first step is building a relationship, getting locations coordinated, and a process in place..

I was at one point going to aim for an organisation in 4 states this year but when I started discussions back in late October, I quickly knew it was going to be a tough ask in the time frame.

So my point is, I would love to explore the option of a joint bank account but I think at the moment, with the time we've got left up our sleeve, it's something we'll have to look at next year given their priorities and ours.

As for the idea of a utilising BBTS, let me first say off that's a brilliant idea there. Hell, I'd do it myself but I've already committed $$ to gifts already for the year. But looking at the list you suggested, I can't say that I got as good value for my $$$. And you're right on the range of toys as well. This opens it up a lot.

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to come up with this idea. It will definitely should be something we look at next year. That's like 100 gifts which would've easily exceeded my expectations for this year! The lady I talked to this morning was saying that TFs are very pricey and it'd be amazing if we could offer that many at about $10 a pop. Once again, thank you so much for the effort and the brilliant idea.

Thanks to everyone from NSW who helped out! And a big thanks to you as well, buddy, for volunteering.

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 03:44 PM
Not a problem at all, I'm glad to be of assistance.

As you mentioned with the timeframe we have now, it did limit our options, but now that we know about it, we can plan for next year as well. I think an organisation for each state is a great idea as well, maybe something we should look at for next year. Something we can look at getting organised early in the new year.

Also, I know it was mantioned before, but would we wrap them up or will they have the manpower to do so? And how soon do you think I should send them off? I'd hate for them to turn up late. I don't mind paying to post them either, rather than have the AusPost thing set up, that may take too long this time.

STL
22nd November 2010, 04:24 PM
Also, I know it was mantioned before, but would we wrap them up or will they have the manpower to do so? And how soon do you think I should send them off? I'd hate for them to turn up late. I don't mind paying to post them either, rather than have the AusPost thing set up, that may take too long this time.

Hold off on wrapping them for the time being. I've had a brief chat about it and what I'm trying to organise from their point of view is a list of ages and which is the best kid for what. With that, it's easier to wrap. Otherwise, we may just send it to them, they'll wrap and label it according to who they wish to give ti too.

Agreed on AusPost too, definitely something for next year. But I'd like to chip in half though as well.

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 04:31 PM
Hold off on wrapping them for the time being. I've had a brief chat about it and what I'm trying to organise from their point of view is a list of ages and which is the best kid for what. With that, it's easier to wrap. Otherwise, we may just send it to them, they'll wrap and label it according to who they wish to give ti too.

Good point. May be better to send them unwrapped, so they can give them out to more appropriate ages. Like Legends for the younger ones, and deluxes and such for the older kids. Hadn't thought of that.

Agreed on AusPost too, definitely something for next year. But I'd like to chip in half though as well.

No problem man, will you be delivering them yourself or is that not geographically viable? Is it best for me to send them directly to them? Probably best that way. I might send them off in the first week of December so it gives it longer to arrive.

STL
22nd November 2010, 04:39 PM
No problem man, will you be delivering them yourself or is that not geographically viable? Is it best for me to send them directly to them? Probably best that way. I might send them off in the first week of December so it gives it longer to arrive.

While I could do it, I think having interstaters sending straight to the charities will work best as it saves me having to haul too much in one go. On top of that, each time, they get a package, it'd just reaffirm to them how we're contributing from all over.

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 05:03 PM
Yea, don't want to make you lug it all to them heh :)

So I post it off to the PO BOX that's on the website?

An idea on what we can do as well is keep an excel spreadsheet of what is collected/bought over the year and donated by who (or if they wish to remain anonymous) is maybe something we can look at for next years drive as well.

***To any New South Welshman wanting to donate, I will be posting the box of toys off on 4th December, if you can get it to me by then, that would be great. Or you can post it off yourself if you wish.

Hursticon
22nd November 2010, 05:22 PM
***To any New South Welshman wanting to donate, I will be posting the box of toys off on 4th December, if you can get it to me by then, that would be great. Or you can post it off yourself if you wish.

I'll let you know dude if I'm able to, it's going to be a tight budgeted Christmas this year. :o

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 05:49 PM
So dose, that mean there is a sufficient amount to donate...??:confused:
Becuase, i could try and buy another new one "just" to donate it if there isn't. ;)

If you want to help out some more, by all means :)

Not sure if we have enough, but I am sure we will make some kids happy with what we have got :)

1AZRAEL1
22nd November 2010, 05:50 PM
I'll let you know dude if I'm able to, it's going to be a tight budgeted Christmas this year. :o

I know how you feel dude. This year is a trial to see, at least we have a year until next one, so I will be buying a few toys here and there all the way through the year :)

STL
22nd November 2010, 07:29 PM
Yea, don't want to make you lug it all to them heh :)

So I post it off to the PO BOX that's on the website?

An idea on what we can do as well is keep an excel spreadsheet of what is collected/bought over the year and donated by who (or if they wish to remain anonymous) is maybe something we can look at for next years drive as well.

Will likely be that address but depending on a few things, your case might go to another state we're hoping to have an organisation in. Don't post until I have details though. We'll need to sort out numbers once we have an overall idea of the number of gifts in play.

The idea of a spreadsheet could work well for this year too. I'll set up a spreadsheet tonight of what I have and send it to you. Then you can update it with what we have. I'll PM you later tonight. I'm still at work atm and probably won't be home to about 11ish though.

Please, please don't feel obligated to contribute. No one has to unless they are willing and can. So please, please don't worry too much about it.

Hursticon
23rd November 2010, 02:31 AM
Please, please don't feel obligated to contribute. No one has to unless they are willing and can. So please, please don't worry too much about it.

No, no, I don't feel obligated at all - I want to help out, I was merely pointing out that this year I wont be able to donate as much as I'd like to, but next year should be a different story.

I still intend on making a donation. :)

UltraMarginal
23rd November 2010, 06:44 AM

Where are you based 1AZRAEL1, if you're too far away it might be easier to just post myself.

1AZRAEL1
23rd November 2010, 08:20 AM
Where are you based 1AZRAEL1, if you're too far away it might be easier to just post myself.

I live out west near Penrith, but travel to Central everyday for work.

Saintly
23rd November 2010, 10:36 AM
if you want to utilise a courier service instead of AusPost and don't have an account, http://interparcel.com.au/ is pretty good... they are logistic broker and is ideal for home consumers.

I've used it to send laptops and bulky statues to Melbourne in the past.

1AZRAEL1
23rd November 2010, 10:50 AM
if you want to utilise a courier service instead of AusPost and don't have an account, http://interparcel.com.au/ is pretty good... they are logistic broker and is ideal for home consumers.

I've used it to send laptops and bulky statues to Melbourne in the past.

Hmm, not a bad idea. I will have to check that one out to see what the price difference would be between these guys and AusPost.

STL
25th November 2010, 03:09 PM
I caught up with Katy yesterday and things have developed quite significantly. Other than the broad strokes of the what we’re proposing, Johnny had not briefed her as to the idea. After running her through the vision we have, Katy was very conducive to the concept and excited about its implementation.

She brought up the potential to run it as a project rather than purely as a charitable donation. She particular loved the thinking we’ve put behind this and loved the creativity and problem solving dimensions that TFs and Lego offer. We discussed the possibility of setting up some KPIs behind this so that we could capture the outcomes of what we’re doing. While I know this all sounds terribly formal but one of the things that excites me about it is the ability for us to really be able to measure our footprint and show that this is more than just donating. I believe that this will definitely make it easier to make a foray into the other states next year as well because it will show just how organised and well-thought out this is..

I got some detail in terms of numbers. They have approximately 30 kids in their Residential and Foster Care programs that could benefit from this. So I think we’re well positioned to help them. Katy said that if we had more gifts than this, we could nut out some details with a lady named Jill who I believe looks after regional areas

From this it evolved to the point where Katy has asked me if I’d like to come in and present to the team leaders and managers at Orana. Part of this is they would like us to share with them our thinking with other stakeholders in the organisation. She also would use the opportunity to introduce me to one of their liaisons who could put us in contact with organisations in other states (Jill, I believe). I’ve tentatively agreed to this but there are a few details I’d like to run by you guys first.

1.) I’ve been asked to put into written form some quick words (a few paragraphs) about the thinking behind creative toys such as TFs and to a lesser extent, Lego). I’m going to put this together over the next few days (I’m just a bit flat out at the moment juggling three different things on top of a full-time job). But as I do, what would you guys like to mention?

2.) The Presentation: what do you guys think we should do about this? I’m more than happy to present but am thinking should we put together a slide pack to go with the presentation? Should it contain testimonials? A map of how many members in each state? Some pictures of collections? All ideas welcomed.

STL
25th November 2010, 03:13 PM

Great idea this. I put together the initial excel sheet with some categories and forward to 1Azreal1 to fill in.

I've put some broad categories together but the key one I put in was a series of checkboxes with the age groups we think a TF/Lego will sit in: The categories were:

A = ages up to 7 years
B = up to 9 years
C = up to 12 years or more.

As always, any thoughts welcome.

1AZRAEL1
25th November 2010, 03:19 PM
All good thoughts, looks like it is moving further than we all anticipated. I'll fillout that spreadsheet with what I have tonight hopefully, I've been leaving work late all week and all I want to do when I get home is eat and sleep :p

STL
25th November 2010, 04:31 PM
All good thoughts, looks like it is moving further than we all anticipated. I'll fillout that spreadsheet with what I have tonight hopefully, I've been leaving work late all week and all I want to do when I get home is eat and sleep :p

No rush, mate. At the rate we're going you've got at least till early next week. If anyone wants the list or to PM myself or 1AZREAL1 to add to the list, feel free to do so as well.

And yes, I think the concept of this as a project they're going to manage even though its a Christmas present is great. I've fleshed some thoughts out in relation to what things we could measure or factors to look for but certainly any other ideas in terms of KPIs would be more than welcome.

1AZRAEL1
25th November 2010, 04:50 PM
If anyone who has given me things to donate, please PM so I can put your names to it, or leave it as Anonymous if you prefer. I didn't get a chance to write down who gave me what, as it was really hectic at the fair.

STL
26th November 2010, 05:01 PM
In the background, I've also been working to start dialogue with a QLD organisation as well and I found it harder than I expected to be honest. Some organisations just aren't staffed well enough to receive and distribute which was unfortunate. After a lot of calls around, I'm trying to organise something through these guys.

http://www.ifys.com.au/

I've left two calls with them today and I think the contact person's name will be Christy from conversations so far. One of the reasons they haven't gotten back to me is b/c they have an AGM on Monday which they're busily organising.

UltraMarginal
7th December 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi STL,
I haven't managed to catch up with 1AZRAEL1 as he's not considerate enough to live next door to where I work or live.:D

He tried to make himself available and I just couldn't make it work.

so, do you have an address where we can send presents. It's getting pretty close to Christmas and I'd hate to have this toy still sitting on my desk on Christmas day.

either yours or the charity I don't mind.

it's unwrapped right?

1AZRAEL1
7th December 2010, 02:09 PM
Hey mate, if you want, I can still meet up with you, I didnt get the chance to send them off last weekend.

Will definitely be posting them this Saturday though.

PS, you should be living where I work, not the other way around :p :D

UltraMarginal
7th December 2010, 03:08 PM
Unless you are going to muse on Thursday night, I can't think of a way to meet up, I'm very busy this week out of hours, I was going to be at the powerhouse museum on Wednesday night but now I need to prepare for a job interview on Friday.

now worries, postage will probably be less than $10. I appreciate the offer though.

Autocon
8th December 2010, 01:45 AM
im so very very very proud of all of u!:D hopefully i can help out next year in some way

Autocon
8th December 2010, 01:47 AM
so at the parra fair did u have a box for donations that people can put toys into? maybe we could have one at the state fairs and collect for xmas:D

1AZRAEL1
8th December 2010, 08:55 AM
Nah didn't have a box, people just gave me some stuff.

Though not a bad idea for future fairs.

STL
8th December 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi STL,
I haven't managed to catch up with 1AZRAEL1 as he's not considerate enough to live next door to where I work or live.:D

He tried to make himself available and I just couldn't make it work.

so, do you have an address where we can send presents. It's getting pretty close to Christmas and I'd hate to have this toy still sitting on my desk on Christmas day.

either yours or the charity I don't mind.

it's unwrapped right?

Hey mate,

Yeah, I do have addresses but am still finalising details. The Orana one is very close. The IFYS is still in the middle stages but they're very keen. I'm waiting on one of their managers to give me a call as he's running a Christmas event this year that will focus on giving presents to children in foster and residential care.

I hope to have at least one finalised by the end of this week. The other by early to mid next week. So that should give them time to be there before Christmas.

The only thing is we do need to make sure our donations go half and half between the two places so that's a

1AZREAL, see your PM.

If we could get an idea of the number of gifts at the moment it'd be great. If anyone who intends on donating can post here or let me know how many presents they can donate, I'll put together a list of who should send what where.

At this stage, we have QLD and VIC location. So all donations will go to one of those locations.

blackie
8th December 2010, 05:59 PM
At this stage, we have QLD and VIC location. So all donations will go to one of those locations.

ive got a few things laying around MISB, ill grab them out and drop you a pm with what ive got ;)

STL
10th December 2010, 09:36 AM
Okay everyone, finally have the details fleshed out for one of the charities, the other one close to being done. Should be resolved early next week..

Addresses and Organisation Details
Our contact at IFYS is Bruce who is their COO and he provided the following address:

IFYS
PO Box 1291
Maroochydore Qld 4558

I didn't manage to catch Bruce the last time I was in QLD, he was busy with their AGM but he was very excited about us doing our little to help our communities. To give you an overview of IFYS, they pretty much offer services throughout QLD and have a footprint in a lot of the little communities outside of the major cities up to Cairns. They have about 300 kids in foster care and 70 in residential care. Bruce told me that they're closed to wrapping up their Christmas events but they would love to work with us and appreciated our desire to inspire with the nature of our donations. With any overflow, they are going to put it to birthdays next years for children in residential care which would be great as well as many kids .

In the "From" lines, could I ask everyone who is sending donations include in their address "OTCA Christmas Appeal"? EG:
Joe Blogs
OTCA Christmas Appeal"
4 Iacon Speedway"
"Iacon, SE, C-01"

This will help them identify where the presents come from.

For Orana, the address will be:

Orana Family Services
PO Box 2086
Meadow Heights 3048

I'm still ironing out some final details in terms of their receiving department and whatnot but its close to being finalised.

Distribution:

I've only had a few guys let me know how much they're planning to donate and as such I'm not sure where the perfect split will be. So I'm going to ask for the those in following states to send their gifts to the following locations as I believe this will give us a good 50-50 split based on responses here

QLD/NSW/NT/WA -> IFYS

SA/VIC/TAS -> Orana

Melbourne guys, I'm ramping up collection next week with a view to collect all donations by Wednesday/Thursday and conduct delivery by Friday. So if you could please text or PM me when's most convenient for you, I'll make myself available.

For anyone still wanting to donate but still haven't gotten something, with $10 PCC scouts, you can't go wrong this week!

If anyone has any questions or ideas, let me know.

1AZRAEL1
10th December 2010, 01:13 PM
I'll let you know how many toys I have to send when i get home. Sorry work has just been so crazy the past few weeks that I haven't had the chance to.

STL
13th December 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone, all details are finalised.

We did leave the running to a bit too late but both places are still very happy to have us on board this year and are really excited about next year

IFYS:
IFYS
OTCA 2010 Christmas Appeal
PO Box 1291
Maroochydore Qld 4558

Orana :
Orana Family Services
OTCA 2010 Christmas Appeal
PO Box 2086
Meadow Heights, VIC 3048

Feel free to send your presents to the organisation of your choice. But if you can't decide, the following split would be good:
- QLD/NSW/NT/WA -> IFYS
- SA/VIC/TAS -> Orana

Melbourne guys, let me know when you're free. I'm aiming for a Thursday delivery now.

Once again, a massive thanks to everyone who helped out!

Paulbot
14th December 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm dropping stuff off to STL at lunchtime tomorrow. Anyone else?

blackie
14th December 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm dropping stuff off to STL at lunchtime tomorrow. Anyone else?

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

UltraMarginal
16th December 2010, 12:22 PM
Posting today at lunch, should get to IFYS before Christmas, at least in time for an early new years birthday present.

Thankyou and Congratulations STL on suggesting and organising such a fantastic concept, hopefully over the coming years it can grow a little stronger.:cool:

1AZRAEL1
4th January 2011, 03:12 PM
Hey STL, how did this campaign go? Did you hear back from IFYS saying they got the toys ok?

STL
5th January 2011, 01:21 PM
Hey STL, how did this campaign go? Did you hear back from IFYS saying they got the toys ok?

Yeah, I did get an e-mail around Christmas but didn't see it yesterday.

Thanks [snip - my name]

Our thought and gratitude to you and your supporters.

Bruce

I'm planning to go up there in January and catch up with him but weather has been average that way so may postpone till February.

Jill from Orana also gave me a call and sent a big thanks to us all. I was told of a boy in residential care who was so happy that he got a TF. The way it works at Orana is that they have room the kids go in and can select an item of their choice. The kid had been there a few years now is my understanding but this was the first time he was wowed with the TFs on offer. The Lego too was really well-received but unfortunately there wasn't as much of it as TFs.

So thanks to everyone who donated, it made the difference in many lives and in 2011 we'll get better organised with a better effort and action some of the other great ideas put forward too.

1AZRAEL1
5th January 2011, 02:17 PM
I was told of a boy in residential care who was so happy that he got a TF. The way it works at Orana is that they have room the kids go in and can select an item of their choice. The kid had been there a few years now is my understanding but this was the first time he was wowed with the TFs on offer.

Hearing stories like this makes it all worthwhile. Now that we have a whole year to plan for the next one, I will be buying stuff when there are sales on, not just TF's, to give them more a variety of toys. But I think we can say we had a good go at it for a first go. Count me in to help this year.