PDA

View Full Version : TF3 in 3D, but not in IMAX

griffin
22nd November 2010, 10:31 PM
Looks like the cost (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/transformers-dark-of-the-moon-is-in-3d-but-not-in-imax-3d-170958/) of having this movie filmed for 3D, is not having an IMAX version this time.
Or if they do screen it at IMAX theatres, it won't have any IMAX exclusive scenes or 70mm filming (for the best IMAX effect).

1AZRAEL1
23rd November 2010, 08:24 AM
That's a shame. I would rather see it in Imax over 3D any day. But even seeing ROTF at Imax was pretty overwhelming, as in the screen is too large to know where to look :p

5FDP
23rd November 2010, 09:02 AM
But even seeing ROTF at Imax was pretty overwhelming, as in the screen is too large to know where to look :p

Agreed. It added nothing to the film IMO.

SkyWarp91
23rd November 2010, 10:03 AM
You guys still have IMAX? Adelaide doesn't even have one anymore! :eek:

1AZRAEL1
23rd November 2010, 10:04 AM
Yea there are a number here in NSW, Darling Harbour, Parramatta, and somewhere up in the mountains are the ones I know about.

Saintly
23rd November 2010, 10:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues

1AZRAEL1
23rd November 2010, 10:52 AM
Ah, thanks heh. I must be thinking of other cinemas with bigger screens or something :p

griffin
23rd November 2010, 01:23 PM
The one at Perth must have re-opened, or is a new one? When I was trying to get the TF1 movie at an IMAX (before it came to Melbourne), the one in Perth was closed down.

And QLD might have 2 listed, but neither one can handle full-length movies. They are both only used for those documentary/nature type films that only go 30-60 minutes. They could play a full length movie, but I think they only have the one projector, so we'd have to have several intermissions as each roll is swapped over.

So Australia currently has 5 properly working IMAX theatres, compared to about a hundred in America... explains why an IMAX version of movies (in America) is pretty much expected.

GoktimusPrime
24th November 2010, 08:54 PM
Those special IMAX scenes would require Michael Bay to shoot certain shots with a special IMAX camera. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that they must've shot TF3 using 3D cameras and not the IMAX cameras. The film aspect ratio and size is probably different, hence even if IMAX screens it, you'd probably just still get the same 'letterbox' aspect ratio rather than the whoppingly tall IMAX shots.

I'm not particularly bothered by any of this - I'm perfectly happy to watch movies in 2D letterbox format. :)