PDA

View Full Version : Transcanning Optimus Prime - A Review

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th April 2008, 01:02 AM
Transcanning Optimus Review.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0064.jpg

I was really looking forward to this figure, The shots on the net that I had seen made it look really cool and the fact that it could be a Protoform as well as a truck took my fancy. Plus I would finally have a movie Optimus Prime that has a nice shiny grill, juts like the movie (and unlike my Leader class figure). The toy is about equivalent to a deluxe size figure and comes with a “Core Body” (skeleton), Protoform armour parts and Earth-Mode armour parts.

Lets start with the box. It is a standard movie style box and on the back has a picture of the core body, Protoform and Earth mode Optimus, as well as the stats bar. There is a bit of CG work done to show the Protoform in comet mode and an Earth mode Prime with a scanning effect running over part of his body. I like the box, it looks classy. Once inside the box, we find that there are 2 layers. The first has the Core Body, Earth mode face and Protoform parts and the second has the parts for the Earth Mode.

Core Body
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0062.jpg

Now That I have released him from his shackles, I shall work upwards. The Core body look reminiscent of a Terminator robot skeleton. It’s very skinny and lanky and has heaps of joints. I was excited as this meant the articulation would be great and it really is quite fantastic. If not at least equivalent too, I would say it even has more than the good old Microman figures! Balance is tricky, although I managed to put him into some never-done-before-for-a-Transformer poses.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0063.jpg
Things are off to a good start.
Although the detail is a little plain, it has a Prime-esque face and a rather Ironman looking blue bit in the middle. I just realised that it may be representing his spark ( A nice touch). Not much in the way of moulding details, just a heap of plugs for the armour and some kneecaps really. He does come with a set of extra hands that can be swapped from fists to open-palmed. On to the Protoform!

Protoform Mode
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0058.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0059.jpg

After plugging the Protoform pieces on, I saw that it was still pretty skinny and managed to retain the articulation of his naked mode. A little had been lost around the shoulders, but nothing too bad and its still got more than the deluxe sized Protoform, although the deluxe one is pretty good and most poses can be copied, just a few have a bit of trouble with balance. The other difference is as the TS one doesn’t have so much kibble, the robot mode looks a bit better. Then we get to the comet mode.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0049.jpg

Well, since the gimmick of this is to become the Protoform, I must say I was disappointed with the comet mode. Transforming consists of folding he head, arms and legs back and bammo! One comet. Unfortunately, it looks quite poor, with a huge drop from the upper arms to the legs and looks nothing like the Protoforms seen in the movie. This is where deluxe Protoform Prime is much, much better. Odd really, as I thought that with the armour just being plugged in, it would be just a case of snapping another bit on and it would looks sweet. Thing is though, there are no other bits and it just looks crap. Comes with a nice stand though.

Earth Mode

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0065.jpg

Now Optimus has landed on earth and scanned his truck. I liked this bit. The robot looks cool. Problem is that the only cool thing about it is looks. The kibble here is overwhelming. All the awesome articulation has been negated by the kibble and what’s left (knees and arms) is severely restricted. The leg armour doesn’t stay together well enough so his heels are always splitting, causing him to topple backwards, which is a constant battle, as the backpack is so heavy. Bits pop off easily and can be frustrating to get back on because you may have to move other pieces to get them back on. For me, this was his little red shoulder pads. In some of the photos, you may see one missing, mainly because I got tired of taking the backpack off and putting the thing back on, only to have it pop off again about five minutes later.

The guns were interesting. They were made from the foot stand to the cab and fuels tanks (as opposed to the smoke stacks) and they are attached to the back and swung around from the back, under his arms like Galaxy Convoy (or Cybertron Optimus Prime). I quite liked this different take on movie Ops weapons and they look pretty powerful too! Shame he can’t really point them anywhere due to the backpack hindering his arm movement.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0069.jpg

Despite the “Confined” robot mode, I was looking forward to getting him into vehicle mode and beholding the shiny grill of a smart looking truck mode.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. I LOVE instruction manuals, I will look over them for hours on end if I feel it will help me, even if they are in another language I will still give them a thorough going over (I realise that I must be a rare case for this fact, or a nut case). TS Primes are pretty bad. The pictures are small and hard to see and form something that has a lot of kibble and needs careful skeleton positioning I found the transformation process EXTREMELY frustrating. So much so that I was trying it for about an hour and a half, which considering how big the toy is is quite a feat!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0072.jpg
This picture was as close as I got to his vehicle mode......

After all that time, I never got it into vehicle mode. I got really, REALLY close with only 1 step to go, but as I was doing the second last step, the panels that I had done before came apart and I was back at halfway done. That’s this figure’s major flaw, as a plate-former the whole concept depends upon the plates fitting together and staying together. Here they don’t. I tried and I tried, but just as success loomed on a later stage, one of the previous ones would fall apart and I was back at square one. If it wasn’t that, it was plugged in parts falling off or ball joints popping out. After an hour and a half of this, I had had enough and left it.

Later on, I took it apart and put the panels together (without the skeleton) for the purposes of photography, but of course it needs the skeleton to hold pieces in place. Oddly though, I got closer without the skeleton than with. The truck mode looks nice. Its like a nice plastic model kit and I like it. If only it worked like it should. One problem I see happening later on, is severe chrome wear on the smoke stacks and front grill, as the stacks are used to hold the door panels in place (rather poorly I might add) and the grill is often popping out of place as well as being use as the sole of the feet for the Earth robot mode, so they are both areas that receive a lot of contact.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/IMG_0073.jpg

Overall, the skeleton mode is ace, but looks like, well a skeleton. Protoform mode is about the same, and the Earth-mode looks good, but is crap. Transformation is a frustrating experience that is not enjoyable but the truck mode looks like it should be good. Generally, I would not recommend this figure to any fans, unless you are an “In Box Collector,” as the box is nice.

I might change my thoughts later if I ever get this figure out of the box again, but at the moment that is unlikely. Having said all that, anyone want to buy a Transcanning Optimus Prime?

Got some more pictures in my gallery here (http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/Transscanning%20op/). I got snap happy, coz I certainly wasn't toy happy and am slowly uploading them all. If its a bit lacking, check back in a couple of days and I'll have some more.

kurdt_the_goat
16th April 2008, 01:23 AM
A few of those shots make me wish there was THS03 based on Movie Prime (or any THS03 come to think of it!). A miniature style leader prime would be total bitch to transform... but if they pulled it off!

STL
16th April 2008, 01:33 AM
Great review. I guess two negatives mean I'll stay away from this in the future.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th April 2008, 01:34 AM
A few of those shots make me wish there was THS03 based on Movie Prime (or any THS03 come to think of it!). A miniature style leader prime would be total bitch to transform... but if they pulled it off!

I think that's what I was hoping this would be when I got it. Alas no......

Pulse
16th April 2008, 01:35 AM
Compared to quite a few figures they have designed/released in recent times, The concept behind this (in theory) appears to be one of the most well-thought out & innovative ideas in a long time.

But the end result seems to be an absolute mess of a figure (in concept execution). Didn't they play with it before they gave it the green light?

Something tells me Transcanning Bumblez is gonna live up to the same expectations we held of this figure. :(

benben2142
16th April 2008, 01:54 AM
No affiance but I think he sucks because I got him and the pegs are easy to snap!

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th April 2008, 02:04 AM
No affiance but I think he sucks because I got him and the pegs are easy to snap!

Offence? None taken. I was very careful in that respect because I was terrified of snaping the pegs. I feel your pain though benben.

I just realised in the last pic of the 2 vhicle modes, you can see the crumpled skeleton in the background and the blue piece next to it is part of the Earth mode head. SUCK MY VENGEANCE!!!!!!!:D

Oh and it was unitentional as well.

griffin
16th April 2008, 02:51 AM
That really is disappointing, isn't it. I'm still planning on getting on (and bumblebee), but I guess the problem of which mode/form to display it in is solved if left in packaging. I guess it's just another TFs toy with a gimmick that ruins its 'transformation'.
Thanks for the review - I'll know what to expect now and won't be disappointed when I try to play with mine when I get it.

iceburn
16th April 2008, 07:28 AM
TC..i've same problems with the Earth Mode transformation as mentioned in April's acquisition. Really disappointing but yet i do love the way they put the effort into developing this figure.

For TF fans, this is a good figure to get ONLY for the Protoform Mode... could probably transform the truck figure by itself and put it side-by-side for display.

I'll still buy the Trans-scanning Bumblebee when its out

Kyle
16th April 2008, 09:31 AM
Having said all that, anyone want to buy a Transcanning Optimus Prime?

Just got my good friend in HK to buy 2 for me for a great price. Even if I knew it was gonna suck I'd still get them, with me collecting all transforming toys of G1 Prime, movie Prime and movie Bumblebee at the moment.

Can't wait to receive mine in the mail. Looks like it'll be quite a "challenge" to transform one. :o
I agree this is a great concept, and I give TakaraTomy credit for trying something new and different from Hasbro. Hope they've learnt something from this and will make better toys in the future~

i_amtrunks
16th April 2008, 10:43 AM
This the second review I've read, and both mentioned the difficulty of the transformation.

Looks good as a figure, its almost like a merge of BtR and a normal figure, but I wont be rushing off to get one.

Thanks for all the piccies and info though!

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th April 2008, 02:25 PM
Looks like it'll be quite a "challenge" to transform one. :o
Yes, TO YOUR SANITY!!!!!!

I agree this is a great concept, and I give TakaraTomy credit for trying something new and different from Hasbro. Hope they've learnt something from this and will make better toys in the future~

Yeh, I am stil in two minds as whether to cancel the Scanning B/Bee I have pre-ordered. I hate it, but I also like it.

My biggest whinge is the trouble getting it into vehicle mode. If it could transform without breaking my mind, then I could get over the rest and like it a lot. Hmmm, might go and jump on the anket site and tell them that.

jaydisc
16th April 2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the informative review

Burn
16th April 2008, 04:33 PM
When I first heard about this concept I absolutely loved the idea of it! So I couldn't wait to get TSOP out of his box when he arrived.

My first thought was when opening "that's a lot of bloody pieces!"

Then my cat came into the room ... cat ... boxes ... cat jumping every where. Definitely not a good thing to have with TSOP.

So the cat got booted outside and my door shut.

As I said, there's a lot of pieces and all are vital. Losing a piece will more than likely ruin this figure. Think G1 figures like Hoist and Trailbreaker with their various parts, only with a lot more parts.

At this stage i've only put him into Earth robot mode. I haven't had time to attempt to transform him. Despite his limited shoulder mobility as TC pointed out, you can still get him into some impressive looking poses.

As a display figure he's great. As a lego styled figure he's great. As for the rest I really can't comment.

Would I recommend this figure? I'd rather stay neutral. I like him, sure he's fiddly and has a lot of little easy to lose parts, but it's a brand new concept for TF's and that's actually enough for me.

Soundwarp
16th April 2008, 07:01 PM
Wow i really like the look of that!!!

SofaMan
17th April 2008, 12:32 AM
I still haven't got mine into truck mode. I've got him displayed in protoform robot mode next to Protoform OP in comet mode.

One thing that did give me a giggle was Underpants Prime. Just display him in core robot mode wearing only one or the other of his codpieces. :D

Very very fiddly, lots of easy to lose pieces. I'm still going to get Bumblebee mainly because I want a BB protoform. I don't regret getting the toy, but I am very underwhelmed.

griffin
17th April 2008, 01:16 AM
I get a bit of a Gen1 Omega Supreme vibe with this toy (I still don't have it yet). A lot of pieces that have to be pulled off and rearranged to form the different modes, and if you loose any the toy could end up being unplayable. Still looking forward to it though, as it represents one evolutionary direction for Transformers. It might not have worked as good as probably intended, but this sort of variety with Transformers is what makes the toyline interesting.

Tetsuwan Convoy
17th April 2008, 11:40 AM
but it's a brand new concept for TF's and that's actually enough for me.

... as it represents one evolutionary direction for Transformers. It might not have worked as good as probably intended, but this sort of variety with Transformers is what makes the toyline interesting.
Yeh I agree, thinking back and having another go, its very much an interesting idea and I think I will get the Bumblebee too (then I can say I have 100% of the figures in that series!:D).

Even though it really is a bit of a bugger, the individuality it has is what makes it special I think.

Plus, any TFs with Codpiece accessories are OK by me;) Reminds me of an episode of Blackadder actually.....

roller
17th April 2008, 06:01 PM
bah Roller is not afraid of this toy

I want one it looks hella cool

any Australian releases?

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th April 2008, 01:50 PM
Unlikely, like the microman figures, too many small pieces for consumption.

Burn
18th April 2008, 01:56 PM
mmmmmm TSOP parts. *nom**nom**nom**nom* :p

Kyle
10th May 2008, 03:22 PM
Tetsuwan, are you still getting rid of your Trans Scanning OP, even though you also have Trans Scannng BB coming? Let me know if you're, as a friend in uni is after OP.

Mr Ed
22nd August 2011, 08:10 PM
I bought this dude about 2 years ago and gave up too

However today I finally got him in truck mode. Very frustrating. Kept falling apart.

To make matters worse I broke the Autobot insignia off the grille Luckily I glued it back on

Needless to say it will stay in truck mode.

Also my final gripe is that the grille don't align to the bonnet. Looks terrible.