PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Generations Skullgrin

griffin
13th December 2010, 02:09 AM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Skullgrin

Series - Generations
Sub-line - (Generation 1)
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - Redeco with new head
Wave - 5
Released here - December 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $25-30
Approximate Size - 15cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Half-track, (weapons unit)
Main Features/Gimmicks - (none)
Main Colours - Grey, maroon, black.
Main Accessories - axe, 3 gun-pods.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen13.jpg

LordCyrusOmega
13th December 2010, 02:13 AM
Skullgrin is my favorite Pretender so a must for me

kaiden
17th December 2010, 12:47 AM
I have to say the new head and colours are much better than darkmount.

if it werent for the fact i already have darkmount, i'd buy him, but now i'll wait til he's cheap.

SkyWarp91
17th December 2010, 02:53 AM
PROS: The robot mode's appearance really conveys the harsh nature of the Decepticons - it's loaded with weapons and comes with a killer ice-pick like weapon that becomes the alt mode's cannon. It's a nice homage to the G1 Pretender with its satisfactory color scheme and the proportions of the robot-mode look truly menacing. This robot is a real looker. Also the loose mini-weapons experienced with my Darkmount were not encountered again on this figure.

CONS: The tank mode, ah the tank mode. I don't know if an actual tank like this exists in real life but if it did it is one real ugly tank. Its turret is too big and the idea of having truck wheels on the front instead of a consistent body of tank tracks just seems really out of place. Also the transformation, like for Darkmount is one of those processes you fear that if you do it wrong you could snap off/break something, in this particular case it's the shoulder joints that have to move about on a thin rod of plastic behind the chest. The complexity of the transformation for this toy doesn't bring much confidence to the owner. Lastly the ankle joints in robot mode, as the foot and the shins are held together only by a medial portion of the ankle the toy seems so unstable - however really when I played with it it was actually quite stable (guess it's the case of more than meets the eye, eh?)

TOTAL: 3/5 - It's a decent toy - it's got stable robot and tank modes that are menacing and ugly to look at respectively. A buy if only cheap recommendation.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th December 2010, 02:16 PM
I quite like the mould, as Darkmount was pretty cool. His head looks extremely small and put me off getiing him at full price. If his head were a bit larger (or at least the horns) I would be more inclined to fork out the dollars.

Hursticon
24th December 2010, 04:36 AM
I really enjoy this mold and whilst the character of Skullgrin has somewhat been shoehorned into it - I don't mind it. :)

The colours are great and the head sculpt is a very Cybertronian-esque skull - much along the same lines as ROTF Bludgeons', but IMO this skull pulls it off just that little bit better. ;)
The mold also allows it's self to be mis-transformed just enough to allow one to differentiate Skull grin from Straxus, whilst not inhibiting any of the poseability or playability. :D

All in all it is a very good modern interpretation of a classic character that only would've been better had it had been a completely realised modern day Pretender figure complete with Bot and Shell. :cool:

Grievous
2nd January 2011, 09:19 AM
I hate too admit it...but Skullgrin looks so much better that straxus...
but is it me...or is his head a bit on the small side?
:confused:

1AZRAEL1
2nd January 2011, 02:58 PM
Got him. He is awesome. Love the paint scheme on him lots.

SpeedBreaker
2nd January 2011, 11:51 PM
Skullgrin is solid all round. Vehicle and robot modes look pretty good. I don't buy many TF toys these days but Skullgrin was a decent purchase.

Lord_Zed
8th January 2011, 08:34 PM
My Darkmount has leg issues, but around the swivel near his knees not his feet. Hope Skullgrin does not when I get him.

PROS:

CONS: The tank mode, ah the tank mode. I don't know if an actual tank like this exists in real life but if it did it is one real ugly tank. Its turret is too big and the idea of having truck wheels on the front instead of a consistent body of tank tracks just seems really out of place. Also the transformation, like for Darkmount is one of those processes you fear that if you do it wrong you could snap off/break something, in this particular case it's the shoulder joints that have to move about on a thin rod of plastic behind the chest. The complexity of the transformation for this toy doesn't bring much confidence to the owner. Lastly the ankle joints in robot mode, as the foot and the shins are held together only by a medial portion of the ankle the toy seems so unstable - however really when I played with it it was actually quite stable (guess it's the case of more than meets the eye, eh?)

I don't see a huge issue with Darkmount/Skullgrins tank mode, I see it as more of a mobile artillery piece, than a front line tank. Which is also more inkeeping with the Decpticon leader gun mode archetype.

That said I will still only buy Skull Grin Big W cheap.

griffin
8th January 2011, 10:08 PM
It's unfortunate that the head had to be so small, to fit through the hole in the body section. That scale issue kinda spoils the overall look of the robot mode because your eyes are automatically drawn to a 'persons' head.
I like the colours though, and would have been nice to have the concept head shown at BotCon, which better resembled the Gen1 pretender shell head (but obviously wouldn't have worked due to the size restriction - with the horns, it would have been even smaller than the one they ended up with).

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th January 2011, 01:19 PM
PROS:The tank mode, ah the tank mode. I don't know if an actual tank like this exists in real life but if it did it is one real ugly tank. Its turret is too big and the idea of having truck wheels on the front instead of a consistent body of tank tracks just seems really out of place.He's a half-track (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftrack) with an overlarge turret/cannon. While Cybertron Scattorshot is the only other half-track TF I can think of off the top of my head I'm sure there've been a few over the years - Goki or someone can probably list all the others.

Sky Shadow
9th January 2011, 02:14 PM
He's a half-track (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftrack) with an overlarge turret/cannon. While Cybertron Scattorshot is the only other half-track TF I can think of off the top of my head I'm sure there've been a few over the years - Goki or someone can probably list all the others.

Tacker is definitely one. And Meltdown and Half-Track could be said to combine into one.

Gutsman Heavy
18th January 2011, 05:04 PM
IRL Skullgrin, like a G6, he probably enjoys getting "slizzard" too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G6_howitzer

GoktimusPrime
18th January 2011, 06:32 PM
I must say I'm not impressed with Skullgrin. The mould works fantastically as Straxus, but it just looks and feels forced as Skullgrin, even with the different head. :/ Glad I didn't pay full RRP for this toy. This mould works much better as Straxus and just doesn't translate well as Skullgrin IMO.

Defcon
18th January 2011, 08:48 PM
I agree with Gok's comment.

The mould works fantastically as Straxus, but it just looks and feels forced as Skullgrin, even with the different head.

I like the colors used, but I just think the head is ordinary and doesn't really standout.

Sutton
2nd February 2011, 11:00 AM
He's a half-track (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftrack) with an overlarge turret/cannon. While Cybertron Scattorshot is the only other half-track TF I can think of off the top of my head I'm sure there've been a few over the years - Goki or someone can probably list all the others.

The original Skullgrin tank wasn't really a half-track, but it did only have treads at the back end of the vehicle so it's not tooooo big a stretch.

Half-tracks are awesome.

kup
2nd February 2011, 01:34 PM
I agree with Gok's comment.

I like the colors used, but I just think the head is ordinary and doesn't really standout.

It would have been awesome if the figure came with a standard TF head like Skullgrin's inner bot and a big skull like helmet which you can put on it. Then it would have worked a lot better. I would have been happy to sacrifice a couple of the guns for it.

Sutton
2nd February 2011, 07:26 PM
It would have been awesome if the figure came with a standard TF head like Skullgrin's inner bot and a big skull like helmet which you can put on it. Then it would have worked a lot better. I would have been happy to sacrifice a couple of the guns for it.

The blade of the pick does have a bull-skull feel to it. They could have found a way to incorporate that as the helmet.

But overall I'm pleasantly surprised with this guy. The head's a much brighter white than the packaging shows, and the alt-mode works 10X better in this colour-scheme than it did with Darkmount.

Now cough up a Submarauder for me, and I'll be a happy camper.

Lord_Zed
3rd February 2011, 11:13 PM
Skullgrin is not a great homage, but he is an excellent repaint. A good choice of colours used reminiscent of the pretender years (Always loved the colours of the Decep Pretenders, and Dreadwing, Darkwing, Double Dealer etc, one of the best years for Decepticon colours IMO) and the paintjob accentuates different aspects of the mold to Straxus.

So while he isn't the best Skullgrin he is a good toy, also my Skullgrin is way more stable and has less QC issues than Straxus.

Sutton
14th March 2011, 10:53 PM
So just a few shots of how I transform Skullgrin differently to differentiate him from Straxus/Darkmount.

The first shot is simply with the barrel removed and the turret backwards - basically looks a bit like a surface-to-air vehicle this way. You can also pull the flaps down over the treads to add a bit more G1-purple to the tank, and a slightly more Cybertronian feel.

Sutton
14th March 2011, 10:56 PM
This time I've stolen the missiles from Tracks and clipped them on. I think this looks really effective, however be aware that doing this WILL MAKE THE MISSILES LOOSE ON TRACKS. Mine were loose to start with and they still clip in fine to his car mode anyway.

Sutton
14th March 2011, 11:03 PM
Finally, here's some pics of the 'brute' version of Skullgrin I use for his robot mode. It's simply the tank tracks being popped off the back and clipped onto his forearms. It reminds me of Energon Landmine (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/energon/landmine/48/1/35/), with the big bulky arms and tank tread motif. Also interesting in that Energon Landmine was also a Halftrack sort of thing, and shared his name with another G1 Pretender...although I wouldn't buy yet another recolor of this guy.

Vector Prime
14th March 2011, 11:04 PM
That's pretty cool mate! :eek:

That's how they should have made Skullgrin to start with I reckon.

UltraMarginal
15th March 2011, 12:14 AM
I just un sealed this guy today and keeping in mind that I did't get Straxus, was waiting for a more "realistic" repaint.
I think it's great, the instructions really don't provide enough detail for the shoulder area but I like the transformation, it's quite novel for a tank type vehicle. I really like both modes, I love that the tracks are in two totally separate parts of the robot mode. I like the solid build of the robot, the head is a little small but I don't really feel that it impacts the overall look.

I love what you've done there with Tracks' guns, really inventive, though I don't like the over sized forearms, I have a thing about transformers alt modes getting in the way of the robot modes arms and hands. and that pretty much covers up the hands.

The "third" mode feels like a miss-transformation to me though it does kind of look like another short transformer could use it as a gun turret in that case.

Great figure, really glad I have it, excellent modern transformer.:D

Fonecrusher
21st March 2011, 03:02 PM
I torn between who to get Skullgrin or Darkmount? Both are shelfwarmers at my local Kmart so availability isn't an issue. As a character I prefer Darkmount aka Straxus but Skullgrin's colours look pretty nice, even if I have bought way too many white/greyish TFs lately... and also Skullgrin's head, looks a bit silly IMO.

LordCyrusOmega
22nd March 2011, 10:07 AM
As much as i hate repaints i justify it like this. Gen1 was full of repaints: Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, Prowl/Bluestreak and all the seekers. Therefore repaints that represent a character from Gen1 are ok but repaints for the sake of repaints are bad.

I say: Buy both. Darkmount is a character from the comic that has never been released before and Skullgrin is cool, and a release of an original Gen1 character. It's justified. They can be displayed differently weapon wise and even cleverly transformed.

Doubledealer
22nd March 2011, 05:41 PM
Anyone know in which stores this little puppy is more prevalent? I tried my nearest Kmart and Target today but no dice. :(

Sutton
22nd March 2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone know in which stores this little puppy is more prevalent? I tried my nearest Kmart and Target today but no dice. :(

Target and Kmart are the most likely, but he only just started showing up in Tassie in the last week or so.

Expect 12 of him to appear the day after you order him online.

GoktimusPrime
23rd March 2011, 10:50 PM
I torn between who to get Skullgrin or Darkmount? Both are shelfwarmers at my local Kmart so availability isn't an issue. As a character I prefer Darkmount aka Straxus but Skullgrin's colours look pretty nice, even if I have bought way too many white/greyish TFs lately... and also Skullgrin's head, looks a bit silly IMO.

I have both toys, and I much prefer Darkmount. IMO Darkmount works well as a toy actualisation of Straxus, whereas Skullgrin just feels too forced and just doesn't work well as Skullgrin IMHO. So if you're only gonna get one of those toys, I would highly recommend Darkmount over Skullgrin.

Autocon
24th March 2011, 02:23 AM
id really love a tank prosecion!

Leader movie megs
bludgeon and repaint
darkmount and skullgrin
warpath
perceptor
movie brawl and desert brawl

BOOM BOOM BOOM we're coming to obliterate u!!!:D:D

Ode to a Grasshopper
1st May 2011, 01:45 PM
+ This mold is SWEET! Interesting/innovative transformation, really poseable, looks awesomely powerful and eeeevil, the colour scheme makes the robot mode and vehicle mode look distinctive from each other (and good in both modes to boot), lots of c-bars and extra weapons, and the 'axe' weapon makes a sweet pitchfork for that demonic vibe. I wish I had my RotF Bludgeon with me to pose beside him.
- The only real complaint I have is mine has slightly loose ankle joints, so he's quite hard to balance in robot mode. Some extra c-bar clips on his arms and shoulder armour would have been nice too. The head is a little small for his body, and the tank turret and cannon barrel are both a bit too big for the half-track body, but these are minor flaws and don't detract much from what is a neat figure.

I'm going for 'buy if cheap' (unless you already have Straxus), but only 'cos he's been out for a while and isn't a major character

Spanks for grabbing him for me @Valkyrie.:)