PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - RtS Legends Megatron

griffin
17th December 2010, 02:30 AM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Megatron (Gen1)

Series - Reveal the Shield
Sub-line - Hunt for the Decepticons
Size/class - Legends
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 4 (RtS wave 1)
Released here - December 2010
Approximate Retail Price - $6-10
Approximate Size - 8cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Handgun
Main Features/Gimmicks - none
Main Colours - grey, black, red
Main Accessories - none

NOTE - as reminded below, this (small) figure actually comes with an orange cap on the barrel, as per US toy-gun laws. Images below are (deceptively) promotional, or a late change before production.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/rts04.jpg

kaiden
17th December 2010, 03:36 AM
The only one i actually want of the 4 new legends figures. (but only if he's not orange capped.)

5FDP
17th December 2010, 10:37 AM
The only one i actually want of the 4 new legends figures. (but only if he's not orange capped.)

They're all orange capped. The pics above are early promotional ones before the change. The only chance to get one without the orange cap would be to see if / when TakTom release it.

Despite this, he's an awesome little toy. Glad I got him.

Doubledealer
17th December 2010, 11:36 AM
This toys awesomeness knows no bounds! Streamlined transformation, very solid feel and the bot and alt modes just speak for themselves. And look at all that silver! And actual decent shades of grey! Bravo Hasbro, this toy is perfect (I even like the orange cap :p).

Robzy
17th December 2010, 06:38 PM
This is one of the best Legends ever made! And, actually, I think it's one of the best Megatrons in years. I love, love, love it!

My only gripe is the obvious... Hasblow's orange :rolleyes: (Hope we see a Japanese repaint)

The mould itself is perfect!

GoktimusPrime
17th December 2010, 08:54 PM
I think it's worth getting, but I have some issues with the toy.

1: The orange muzzle sh*ts me something chronic. I almost never modify my toys - I like to keep them the way HasTak made 'em, for better or worse. But in this case, I seriously wanna get some silver paint and cover up that _awful_ looking orange. The orange also bleeds beyond just the muzzle and also spills onto the adjoining part of the barrel. :(
2: The gun barrel itself, on top of having an orange cap, is cheap Hasbro grey(TM). :(
3: I don't like how the robot stomach is visible in gun mode, and there's a big gaping hole on the bottom of the slide.

There are some nice parts of the design. Overall it does transform from a fairly G1-accurate robot mode to a handgun. The way that the barrel becomes the fusion cannon is a clever touch. The way that the legs form the grip and trigger and the way that the left hand becomes the hammer is also well done. Smallest Megatron is way better engineered, but Legends Megatron is far sturdier and doesn't fall to pieces as easily during transformation and play. And of course, Smallest Megatron contains all kinds of very small parts that easily break of, and thus don't conform to child safety standards (IIRC Smallest TFs were marketed at Ages 15+) -- so while on a technical level Smallest Megatron is a better crafted toy, Legends Megatron offers better play value (especially for kids).

I still don't see why it was necessary to paint the muzzle orange though. Surely at that size (and with the exposed robot stomach and gap in the slide) Megatron's no longer a replica firearm. And if he _were_ a replica firearm, then I'm surprised that Hasbro were able to get away with making it at all, even with an orange cap. Isn't that the reason why Hasbro was never able to reissue G1 Megatron or release their own version of Masterpiece Megatron, even with orange caps?? I don't get it. :confused:

liegeprime
17th December 2010, 11:24 PM
Yes - if I could find one.... not yet mass released around west parts :(

GoktimusPrime
18th December 2010, 08:11 AM
I got mine from TRU Castle Hill

KaRNiV8L PRiME
18th December 2010, 10:22 AM
I love this figure and Peaugh has posted a video of how masterpiece starscream can hold him. Bit goofy but cool how hasblow thought of this

http://www.youtube.com/user/peaugh?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/5/MeXQFIf_UOg

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th December 2010, 06:26 PM
1: The orange muzzle sh*ts me something chronic. I almost never modify my toys - I like to keep them the way HasTak made 'em, for better or worse. But in this case, I seriously wanna get some silver paint and cover up that _awful_ looking orange. The orange also bleeds beyond just the muzzle and also spills onto the adjoining part of the barrel. :(
2: The gun barrel itself, on top of having an orange cap, is cheap Hasbro grey(TM). :(
3: I don't like how the robot stomach is visible in gun mode, and there's a big gaping hole on the bottom of the slide.

I agree with much of what Gok has said. Although, the gun barrel is orange plastic, painted grey, which I find odd, unless its a way to stop people from scratching off the orange.

I was really excited for this toy to start, the robot mode is cool, but the gun mode.. er well.. It's nice to see a gun mode again, but the gap at the end and, yep, visible stomach made me go "Oh...:(" somewhat. Needless to say, I will be hunting down a taktom one when he gets out.

Tallestblue
19th December 2010, 03:37 PM
Orange cap barrel aside....He's a neat little toy. But I'd like to know how he can interact with Masterpiece Starscream because I'll be darned if I can figure out how he does.

5FDP
19th December 2010, 11:22 PM
But I'd like to know how he can interact with Masterpiece Starscream because I'll be darned if I can figure out how he does.

Over a cup of earl grey tea :p

GoktimusPrime
26th December 2010, 10:06 PM
I know KaRNiV8L PRiME posted a link to a video showing how to do it, but I haven't seen the video and just worked this out today -- the Masterpiece Seekers can indeed hold Legends Megatron. Got a new camera so I felt like taking piccies. :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/legendsmeg_mpseeker0.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/legendsmeg_mpseeker1.jpg The slot on the rear side of the left side of the grip is designed for an MP Seeker's thumb to slide in.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/legendsmeg_mpseeker2.jpg The two tabs on the right side of the grip are the exact width of the MP Seeker's fingers, so they slide in between.

It's not a very tight grip - but that's not entirely Legends Megatron's fault, the MP Seeker's fingers have always been rather loose anyway (even MP Convoy's Megatron gun isn't held tightly). It holds well enough for display purposes, as you can see in the third image Thundercracker can hold Megatron upward fairly well and it doesn't fall out. But any sudden movement will make Megatron fall out, so it's not effectual for play. But the same can be said for MP Convoy's Megatron gun too.

ITZTRU
26th December 2010, 10:14 PM
just my opinion...but i dont like how it sits with the MP's at all...

GoktimusPrime
26th December 2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah but to be fair, it's a Legends Class toy. Thus it's primary purpose isn't to interact with Masterpieces, but to interact with other Legends Class toys. The slot and tabs that allow MP Seekers to hold Legends Megatron is like a bonus Easter Egg on the toy that just happens to allow the toy to interact with Masterpiece Seekers, but it's not the toy's main function.

Besides, we already have a Masterpiece-scale Megatron gun (the one that came with MP Convoy/Optimus Prime) that Masterpiece toys can hold anyway. But of course, that gun doesn't transform into a robot. I think it's pretty neat of Hasbro to throw in a little Easter Egg like that. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/mpstarscream_meg.jpg <--Masterpiece Starscream holding the MP Megatron gun accessory that came with MP Optimus Prime

ITZTRU
26th December 2010, 11:59 PM
I guess...if you word it THAT way! (ie: "easter egg") :)
perhaps im just used to seeing my MP Skywarp holding the MP scale megatron in my displays...

5FDP
27th December 2010, 09:58 AM
I see you've got the grey barrel variant Gok ;)

Paulbot
31st December 2010, 11:25 PM
The orange cap doesn't bother me at all. It's a nice toy with a cool transformation and looks great with the other new figures.

Grievous
1st April 2011, 11:14 AM
This has got to be the best Legends class figure I own...
but in saying that I don't own very many...
:p

The "Orange cap" is annoying...but I can live with it...

All Hail Megatron!
:cool:

Hursticon
2nd April 2011, 09:21 PM
This is an awesome little figure and packs more of a punch that what might otherwise might be expected. :eek:
(Or so his orange cap at the end of his Gun mode barrel would have us believe :rolleyes::p)

His Alt mode is throwback to the original 1984 Megatron toy's Alt mode, that of a German Walther P-38 hand gun and whilst it is entirely too small to be an actual weapon, some may take offense to this anyway. :o
With a suitable Metallic Grey paint job and Black grip, Megatron is a pretty cool little gun which also has the ability to be held by a Masterpiece Starscream, Skywarp and/or Thundercracker figure but unfortunately looks a little too big for their hands. :)

Transformation is a simple process, a hallmark of the Legends Class assortments, with very wise placement of parts to create quite an accurate and impressive Bot mode. :D

Megatron in this guise is thoroughly reminiscent of his original G1 counterpart, save for his Fusion Cannon which is glaringly obvious. :(
Stunning proportions and articulation for this size class, RTS Megatron looks every bit the Menacing leader with an awesome head sculpt and perfect Rub-sign placement. :cool:

A great figure and highly recommended, Megatron will definitely be right at home in anyone's collection. ;)

Vector Prime
3rd April 2011, 01:15 AM
After reading these reviews of Legends Megs, I think it may be time to liberate one of them (I do have 3 of them after all :o)

I plan on getting Unicron to wield him - scale should be right and it should fit (I think)

Vector Prime
10th April 2011, 04:06 PM
So I finally opened one of these guys up the other day and wow, what a pleasant surprise.

The transformation sequence is pretty cool and with the exception of the orange tip, he's well worth every cent.

Easily one of (if not) the best Legends class sized figures around.

9/10 (would have been a 10 if he was a Deluxe sized)

(Btw, Unicron also holds him quite well and the orange tip kinda matches :p)

SpeedBreaker
18th April 2011, 08:31 PM
Clever transformation is the best part of the figure for me. Gun mode is pretty good, robot is decent as well. I hope they use this as a basis for a new deluxe or voyager Generations Megatron, similar to what they did with Warpath.

Prowl
14th May 2011, 08:35 PM
I got mine the other day & I really like him. Simple transformation & easy to play with. My ladies favourite even though it is the cheapest TF I have.

5FDP
16th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Having had mine for a while now, I actually prefer him over MP05 (yeah... I said it). The biggest improvement is the lack of what I call 'chicken legs'; oh and he doesn't suffer from cosmic rust either.

darockk
20th September 2011, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know if there will be any customs problems importing the takara tomy version of megatron reveal the shield?

from osme pictures ive seen, the takara version has a normal purple decepticon logo instead of a black rub sticker.

oh and of course the obvious lack of orange cap..

also come in a nice box.

tinyJazz
20th September 2011, 07:43 PM
Hey darockk, I bought the Takara version in a lot off eBay last month and didn't have any problems.

Just don't wave it around outside :p

BigTransformerTrev
28th September 2013, 10:00 PM
I kinda wish I had done like I did with the Masterpiece version and bought the Takara version of this figure so I didn't have to deal with the stupid orange nub at the the end (who is going to mistake a gun this small for something real?!?! Oh yeah - American cops) but he is still a very cool little figure. Many folk I know who are not into the whole 'transformers multiverse' thing went and bought this figure because it was a small, affordable, good looking (despite the orange bit) Megatron toy that turned into a gun. A figure I am very happy to have and a very good marketing strategy by the powers that be :)