PDA

View Full Version : Hard-hitting new Pat Lee interview.

Ode to a Grasshopper
22nd December 2010, 12:51 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, I couldn't see it anywhere myself.
Thorny interview with Superstar Funana courtesy of Bleeding Cool via a Dabel Brother (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/12/20/pat-lee-talks-to-bleeding-cool-via-a-dabel-brother/). Kind of interesting reading, the guy would make a good politician or PR man.

I still like the David Willis take (http://www.shortpacked.com/2005/09/02/) best myself.

Hursticon
22nd December 2010, 12:58 PM
Indeed Ode, as he's certainly full of Shit! ;)
He knows how to dodge the 'pointy ones' well.

Sky Shadow
22nd December 2010, 01:27 PM
That man is one of the biggest &!@*heads and @#$*holes on the planet. Good on Rich for spotlighting Lee as the lying, talentless, lazy bastard prick that he is.

primatives
22nd December 2010, 07:12 PM
I still to this day wished the ongoing series was finished, I love how Don drew the Transformers in that series. There was going to be Dinobots and female bots!!

kup
26th December 2010, 09:15 AM
Superstar Funana avoids the big questions like a dirty politician.

liegeprime
26th December 2010, 09:41 AM
It's like reading from a politicians reply.... so annoying!!:mad::mad:

SilverDragon
26th December 2010, 10:18 PM
My favourite bit would have to be this:

"Many artists had delays in payment."

God this guy is full of it. As the Transformers cover on the page shows, he wasn't even a decent artist.

kup
27th December 2010, 12:59 AM
My favourite bit would have to be this:

"Many artists had delays in payment."

God this guy is full of it. As the Transformers cover on the page shows, he wasn't even a decent artist.

I thought he was a "Superstar Artist" :rolleyes:

Lee randomly calling himself that speaks volumes about his character. He is clearly more 'sorry that I got caught' than anything else. When I was reading the article I thought that I was reading some interview of one of the Bush Administration cronies or NSW Labor.

Gutsman Heavy
27th December 2010, 02:08 AM
http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5456.png

this is what Pats art reminds me of

Tallestblue
27th December 2010, 09:04 AM
Many people hate Pat Lee for what he did. And many people have more Relevant and more Humourous rants about him. But For me the real tragedy was that Transformers Energon was cancelled, on a cliffhanger no less, In my opinion it was the best comic Dreamwave made (Mainly because Lee's involvement was nil)
Simon Furmans' recent overviews posted on his blog only hint at the awesomeness of my favourite cancelled comic.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2010, 10:39 AM
I didn't like Dreamwave's G1 series when it first came out. Volume 1 was a rather dry "rock 'em sock 'em robots" (makes Revenge of the Fallen look like a literary masterpiece by comparison :/) -- but the story did improve after Volume 2. Editting was kinda sloppy, but the series had potential, as did several of the G1 spin-off stories, like The War Within/Dark Ages, Micromasters etc. -- I felt that Dreamwave's G1 series got cancelled just as it was getting good.

I personally didn't enjoy Energon as much as Armada, but again, it might've been awesome had it been allowed to finish to its conclusion (cos most of the best stuff in Armada (e.g. Worlds Collide Saga) happened in the later issues). And yeah, the abrupt cliffhanger ending did suck. The fact that it was so suddenly cancelled and the creative team didn't have a chance to try to quickly tie the story up and conclude it really hurt.

A lot of us complain about the way that other Transformer stories have been hastily concluded (e.g. Marvel G1 Comics, Beast Wars cartoon) -- but that was because writers had relatively short notice and had to quickly wrap up complex story arcs. But a hastily made wrap up is better than no wrap-up at all, which is what happened with Energon. Had Dreamwave given Furman more advanced notice I'm sure he could have tried to bung up a quick conclusion.

SharkyMcShark
27th December 2010, 03:32 PM
I'm still of the opinion that War Within Dark Ages is one of the best TF comic series ever.

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2010, 04:22 PM
IMO G1's Target: 2006 and Time Wars remains my all time favourite TF comic arcs, but War Within/Dark Ages is still very good too (they're all Furman's babies anyway, heheh ;)).

Furman's The Fallen >>> Michael Bay's The Fallen

Hursticon
27th December 2010, 05:18 PM
Furman's The Fallen >>> Michael Bay's The Fallen

Narratively I'd agree with you Goki, but IMO the Bayverse look was far better :o - Mind you that probably my affinity for Ancient Egyptian aesthetics kicking in. ;):D

kup
27th December 2010, 09:04 PM
I prefer the steam punk look of Furman's Fallen.