PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - RtS Special Ops Jazz

Blurrprimecoolboz2008
27th December 2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWg2gXeFBnE

griffin
3rd January 2011, 11:08 PM
(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Toy Review - Special Ops Jazz
Series - Reveal the Shield
Sub-line - N/A
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - expected here Jan 2011 (released globally Nov 2010)
Approximate Retail Price - $25-30
Approximate Size -
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Race car
Main Features/Gimmicks - (Flip out speakers in both modes)
Main Colours - White, black, blue, red.
Main Accessories - gun

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/rts09.jpg

Vector Prime
3rd January 2011, 11:25 PM
Ooh yeah!!!! Definite must buy - even if you have to pay full retail at Myers to grab it.

Special Ops Jazz is a great homage to the G1 character and is easily one of (if not) the best Deluxes in ages.

Pros:
He's Jazz!
Fold out gun and speakers
Cool alt mode design
Perfect transformation
Great articulation for action poses
Tall - great value for money for a deluxe

Cons:
Lack of paint apps on the rear end of alt mode on Hasbro release

It's a definite must buy on sight (as soon as it's released at retail) - I just couldn't wait and pre-ordered him when he was announced.

I've had it for almost a month now and must say that he does not disappoint in any way (except the lack of paint in alt mode which doesn't bother me greatly since I display him in bot mode anyway)

Go buy it, you know you want it! 9/10

VERT
4th January 2011, 08:21 AM
He is so good I have two of him right now. :D

5FDP
4th January 2011, 11:27 PM
For the first time I think I am torn between getting the RtS version (convenient local buy) or the United version (superior paint job). Is anyone else going through this dilemma and what have you decided on?

kaiden
5th January 2011, 12:04 AM
For the first time I think I am torn between getting the RtS version (convenient local buy) or the United version (superior paint job). Is anyone else going through this dilemma and what have you decided on?

hasbro bot-mode and united alt mode? ;)

personally i wont do that - just getting the united version.

Vector Prime
5th January 2011, 12:06 AM

Well from what I can see in the comparison pics - the United version is 'whiter' (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/1/5/9/0/99_88142_b432d6c7b954d30_1293488280.jpg) and has better paint apps in alt mode on the rear (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/1/5/9/0/99_88142_53bd41e23a4f3c8_1293488280.jpg) and side (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/1/5/9/0/99_88142_224f4022e8fb910_1293488280.jpg) but looks very similar (besides the whiteness) in bot mode (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/7/1/5/9/0/99_88142_afbdff0cac087e5_1293488280.jpg).

The United one will most likely have him packaged in his alt mode so I'll be getting one to leave MOSC (since it's his alt mode that really shows the improvements in paint apps) and be keeping the RTS one displayed loose.

Get one of each, but if you had to choose only one, that decision would probably have to be based upon how you intend on displaying him.

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2011, 12:42 AM

Personally the Hasbro version looks fine enough, but if the United version appeals to you more that much, then I'd say wait for that one. That's what I did with a lot of the Universe figures; passed them up in favour of their Henkei counterparts. :) I haven't seen Jazz around anywhere yet. :(

SharkyMcShark
5th January 2011, 01:02 AM
This is the only RtS deluxe I have any modicum of interest in, but the chest kills it for me - it's far too bulbous.

Ah well, I'll stick with Animated/Movie Jazz(es)

VERT
5th January 2011, 07:13 AM
I dont understand why he looked so yellow in the pics. My two are white and not yellow at all. As for United I just used some paint and now the Hasbro one looks the same :D

Vector Prime
5th January 2011, 09:37 AM
I haven't seen Jazz around anywhere yet. :(

He hasn't been released locally yet.

I dont understand why he looked so yellow in the pics. My two are white and not yellow at all.

That just means the United one is even whiter! :D

1AZRAEL1
5th January 2011, 10:23 AM
I dont understand why he looked so yellow in the pics. My two are white and not yellow at all. As for United I just used some paint and now the Hasbro one looks the same :D

When you compare the 2 side by side, you can notice the difference, but on it's own, I'd say it probably looks normal.

I'm still at odds as to which one to get.

Sharky
5th January 2011, 10:31 AM
i wonder if we will get a Richochet/Stepper repaint

1AZRAEL1
5th January 2011, 10:41 AM

I hope so. I really dig that figure, even if it is only a repaint. I mean, they did a repaint for Robot Heroes :p

5FDP
5th January 2011, 01:09 PM
OK, I think I've worked out what it is about the United version that I prefer over the RtS version - the faction symbol. In saying this I realise that the whole gimmick (in regards to RtS) is to discover which faction each character belongs to, it just doesn't work for me. So... I will be getting the Hasbro toy and placing an order with Reprolabels :D

I doubt that there will be an official Hasbro / TakTom release, but a Botcon exclusive might be a distinct possibility.

Lord_Zed
5th January 2011, 01:20 PM
OK, I think I've worked out what it is about the United version that I prefer over the RtS version - the faction symbol. In saying this I realise that the whole gimmick (in regards to RtS) is to discover which faction each character belongs to, it just doesn't work for me. So... I will be getting the Hasbro toy and placing an order with Reprolabels :D

Yep, that was one of the things that made me decide to wait for the United version, Rubsigns are nice but I prefer faction symbols, but not so much as stickers.

The other criteria of course was the white, the Hasbro one looks plenty fine to me as did Drift, but then I saw United Drift.:)

Sutton
28th February 2011, 02:14 PM
Just a quick write-up for Mr Jazz...

Jazz has been a long time coming, one of the quintessential G1 characters and one of the only 1984 Autobot cars to not get repainted 2 or 3 times (in the initial few years at least) - probably one of the reasons it's taken Hasbro so long to produce him, it's hard to convince the bean-counters if there aren't any viable repaints to run with. An ugly Ricochet repaint will no doubt happen at some point, or worse yet, Zoom-Zoom!!!

Robot mode is good and captures all the major design cues of the original animation model. Poseability is excellent and the figure has a lot of personality. There's a nice large footprint that makes him very stable, and the arms and legs are attached well and don't pop off all the time lending good playability for the kiddies. There's some nasty mold-flash on the front of both shins similar to the front bonnet of Sunstreaker and Sideswipe - it looks sloppy and rushed. They've paid good attention to the mold detailing, particularly the hips - little things like that are appreciated. The speaker gimmick is ok, although I probably would have preferred them to have included the missile launcher from the original toy. Paint apps are strangely lacking however. There is something 'off' about the colour overall. It could just be because of the slightly pearlescent white plastic that Hasbro's used, but the lack of paint apps doesn't help.The headlights being dark blue rather than the more standard clear plastic doesn't help. Plus, the gap where his head folds through is quite big, and takes away a large portion of the racing stripe on his chest. A better solution would have been to include some faux-bonnet that flips up with the head to plug the gap. It still looks enough like Jazz overall. The automorph that swings the head into place works well enough, although the chest and backpack doesn't lock in convincingly enough for my liking.

Vehicle mode is a good representation of a Not-Porsche - the spoiler is in a particularly odd position to help avoid any legal issues, and adds a slight hint of Burgatti Veyron. He holds together well in this mode, although it can be tricky to get the two parts of the number '4' on the bonnet to align. The miserly paint apps are much more of a problem here than in robot mode, the back end of the car has basically been forgotten altogether. It's especially noticeable when compared to other cars in the classics line who generally have rear brake lights as a minimum. Jazz is an accident waiting to happen for drivers approaching from the rear. Maybe he removed them to help be more stealthy during night missions? It's nothing that a quick paint touch-up can't fix but annoying nonetheless. I thought that it may have been due to the transformation possibly rubbing where the brake lights would be but this isn't the case - it's just cheapness on Hasbro's part. The racing stripe isn't as well defined as the original either, and the lack of 'Martini' racing sponsorship doesn't help. Surely some clever alternative could have been found like in Mirage's case (Sparkplug) - what about 'Matrix Racing'? I feel like the front grill could have used some painty love too. On the plus side the doors aren't sticky in the same creepy way that Prowl's were.

The speakers attach with the same 3mm clips that Darkmount, Skullgrin, Wreckgar and Tracks use - I'm not sure what Hasbro's trying to achieve here, clearly trying to make some sort of secondary modular weapon system similar to the classic 5mm hole, but they haven't really promoted the fact that the weapons are interchangeable. It doesn't help that they're strangely spreading the classics figures across the RTS and Generations line. Straxus looks pretty mean rockin' a surround sound on his shoulder pylons! It has to be said that the combined gun mode looks completely daft.

Despite all the niggles, Jazz is still a strong figure and pretty much essential for any G1 fan - the cynic in me thinks that this may be why Hasbro cheaped out on the paint apps, since he was a sure-fire sale anyway. A paint brush seems to be as essential to the adult collector these days as clear nail varnish, but at the end of the day these are kids toys with added adult fan service rather than serious high-end collector pieces. With that in mind, Jazz is a pretty good toy overall.

GoktimusPrime
28th February 2011, 03:07 PM
There's a nice large footprint that makes him very stable, and the arms and legs are attached well and don't pop off all the time lending good playability for the kiddies.
Please don't assume that only children play with their toys. There are plenty of adult collectors who play with toys too. (-_-) Play value is something that is appreciated by many adult collectors too, not just kids. Kthx.

The speaker gimmick is ok, although I probably would have preferred them to have included the missile launcher from the original toy. Paint apps are strangely lacking however.

The miserly paint apps are much more of a problem here than in robot mode, the back end of the car has basically been forgotten altogether. It's especially noticeable when compared to other cars in the classics line who generally have rear brake lights as a minimum. Jazz is an accident waiting to happen for drivers approaching from the rear. Maybe he removed them to help be more stealthy during night missions? It's nothing that a quick paint touch-up can't fix but annoying nonetheless. I thought that it may have been due to the transformation possibly rubbing where the brake lights would be but this isn't the case - it's just cheapness on Hasbro's part.
That could be due to the addition of the speakers. Hasbro are really tight with their budget - they will literally remove certain details, even if it's just a drop of paint, if it has some kind of 'bonus' feature. So it wouldn't surprise me if paint apps were sacrificed for those speakers.

Sutton
28th February 2011, 03:19 PM
That could be due to the addition of the speakers. Hasbro are really tight with their budget - they will literally remove certain details, even if it's just a drop of paint, if it has some kind of 'bonus' feature. So it wouldn't surprise me if paint apps were sacrificed for those speakers.

Which would be another reason to do away with the speakers IMHO :mad:

It could just be because of the large stripe covering so much of the car mode, if you look at most car modes in the classics range, that stripe alone is more paint coverage than is on most figures.

GoktimusPrime
28th February 2011, 05:12 PM
Which would be another reason to do away with the speakers IMHO :mad:

I agree. The speakers do nothing for me, especially as someone who prefers the G1 comics over the cartoon. Having a rifle or missile launcher would've been way cooler. The speakers reek of "Gee-Wun" appeal to me. (Just my perspective)

5FDP
28th February 2011, 11:02 PM
Please don't assume that only children play with their toys. There are plenty of adult collectors who play with toys too. (-_-) Play value is something that is appreciated by many adult collectors too, not just kids. Kthx.

You're just special ;) :p

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th February 2011, 11:21 PM
I quite like this toy, face is good, but a little too serious, I thought he would have some sort of smile on it.

Paint is sparse and whites are a tad off. I also find it odd his spoiler isn't bigger. Just seems out of place. Make of that what you will ;)

I too would have preferred a missile launcher to the speakers. i mean, they only showed up in one episode didn't they? Whereas the missile launcher was always there.

Still big feet are nice. Shame about the hasbro grey for feet and shins.

STL
1st March 2011, 12:40 AM
Only if you don't want to pay more for United.

The paints in person really make a difference.

Other than Sutton. Has anyone else had trouble trying to lock the hood to the body in robot mode? I've tried various things but the thing won't click shut.

kurdt_the_goat
1st March 2011, 01:11 AM
I don't have this toy yet but read about a mis-transform 'fix' for that the other day on TFW. Here's the link (post 389) (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/336162-special-ops-jazz-reveal-shield-39.html#post5722968)

liegeprime
1st March 2011, 01:14 AM
it is worth buying so youd have a Jazz in your collection but if your willing to shell out just a bit more , the United version is more spiffier QC wise ( this is but based on the figure I got) the white is excellent like porcelain, paint apps for the highlight decals are non sloppy , tinted windows and front lights, quite nice QC.

I too hope for a repaint into Ricochet.... I mean too make the most of the mold... if they dont , well its not the first time Hastak has done a missed opportunity to make a buck on something the fans would want...it's tradition hehehehe

Tetsuwan Convoy
1st March 2011, 04:26 AM
I don't have this toy yet but read about a mis-transform 'fix' for that the other day on TFW. Here's the link (post 389) (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/336162-special-ops-jazz-reveal-shield-39.html#post5722968)

I think I prefer the looe chest to that mistransform fix. It affects the look, with the roof down so low, he seems to be missing something from his shoulders (even more) and it also affects his waist movement.

Sutton
1st March 2011, 01:34 PM

That's a real bad idea. It's clear plastic and therefore much more prone to cracking. Plus it looks crap.

The non-locking chest isn't that big a deal - it's not like his boobs are flapping around in the wind, the gear mechanism in his head holds him firmly enough. It just isn't as satisfying as a TF that firmly locks into place is all.

Lint
3rd March 2011, 12:13 AM
This toy is perfect. Go buy :p

Though not quite, I found him quite the pain in the arse to lock back together perfectly in alt mode, especially if u want to hide the speakers. It's probably easier now that I know how.

His paint apps and colour are superior to the RtS version but not as dramatically as Tracks. I thought I would hate the grim face on a charismatic character like Jazz but it actually works for this toy. His tall and lean stature lends himself to the cool and collected Animated Jazz or the IDW G1 incarnation.

Also awesome that you can clip the speakers onto the gun to make a sonic crossbow thingy! (forget the double barreled blaster they were trying to create)

Stompy
5th March 2011, 07:41 PM
Figure of the year for me (so far).

Near perfect in both modes with one of the classiest and elegant and easy to remember conversions. Not to mention the double jointed elbow and knees combined with the 300* feet bend for superior articulation. The proportions are perfect and the head sculpt screams Jazz. Those speakers gave me nostalgia tears and this figure is only marred slightly by the loose chest.

Got the United version and the extra paint apps makes a big difference. The missing silver paint apps for the front grille and especially the wheels in robot mode of the RtS version makes United version a far superior and noticeably better looking version. There's just way too much black in the RtS version which gets broken up by the silver paint apps on the wheels on the United version.

Definite must buy and the crowning jewel of the latest Classicverse releases.

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2011, 10:50 AM
The non-locking chest isn't that big a deal - it's not like his boobs are flapping around in the wind, the gear mechanism in his head holds him firmly enough. It just isn't as satisfying as a TF that firmly locks into place is all.
The chest flops around heaps when you play with the toy and move the arms about. :( It's not a massive flaw, but it's still an annoying one.

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2011, 10:50 AM
The chest flops around heaps when I play with the toy and move the arms about. :( It's not a massive flaw, but it's still an annoying one.

jaydisc
9th March 2011, 05:13 PM
It seems we're merging United in here as well. I opened my United Jazz last night, and the thing is a work of art! Beautiful paint apps. Elegant transformation. Stompy said it all better than I, and while I've only transformed him 2-3 times, my chest is pretty tight and does not flop around. Properly positioning the car's roof as high as possible behind it seems to only further enforce its stillness.

Definitely worth a buy for everyone at any price, but United is pure love.

gdmetro
9th March 2011, 11:00 PM
It seems we're merging United in here as well. I opened my United Jazz last night, and the thing is a work of art! Beautiful paint apps. Elegant transformation. Stompy said it all better than I, and while I've only transformed him 2-3 times, my chest is pretty tight and does not flop around. Properly positioning the car's roof as high as possible behind it seems to only further enforce its stillness.

I have to echo this.

United jazz is a thing of beauty. The only fig that could possibly and realistically top it is Generations/United Wheeljack. I don't understand all the fuss about the chest not locking- because it does not really flop much on mine (as Jay said).

If you can find the united version for a decent price- I say its still worth it to grab over the RTS version (the lack of paint and dirty white just does not do it for me)- although with the high demand and dwindled supply, united jazz is pretty expensive now.

Lord_Zed
10th March 2011, 12:52 PM

And thirded, IMO Untied Jazz is the best classic style mould since Hound, possibly even better. I'm a big fan of the Prowl mould to but this is better. The crisp white plastic is great, he's even whiter and less plasticy looking than Henkei Prowl and Ratchet.

The lack of chest lock, is his only flaw and only because it seems like a small obvious improvement. mine sits pretty secure he can do a sommersault without much movement.

While I'm tempted by Generations Wheeljack, I'm going to have to get the United one after seeing Jazz's pure white finish.

I just need the other Jazz and Gappel I ordered now, eveyone should have a United Jazz.

Fonecrusher
10th March 2011, 03:58 PM
After reading all the good things about him, I think I'm going to cave in and order UN Jazz and Tracks, the RtS ones are becoming impossible to find. It seems most stores around here only received 1 of each and they are all gone already.

And I figured the price difference between ordering RtS or United, online is pretty minimal.:cool:

SpeedBreaker
10th March 2011, 07:17 PM
Yep, United Jazz is the real deal. I've had it for 3 weeks and I'm still jazzed. He makes older classics like Sideswipe and Sunstreaker look pretty dated. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the pin head.

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2011, 12:29 AM
After reading all the good things about him, I think I'm going to cave in and order UN Jazz and Tracks, the RtS ones are becoming impossible to find. It seems most stores around here only received 1 of each and they are all gone already.

And I figured the price difference between ordering RtS or United, online is pretty minimal.:cool:

I find both RTS and UTD Jazz were hard to find online -- I just settled with whichever version I found first, which happened to be RTS.

Fonecrusher
11th March 2011, 12:49 AM
I find both RTS and UTD Jazz were hard to find online -- I just settled with whichever version I found first, which happened to be RTS.

Yeah United Jazz seems to be sold out EVERYWHERE, it's ridiculous. Still I've found a few places selling him for about US$25 and I'v bookmarked them hoping for a restock.:D

But I'm still kicking myself since I had both RtS Jazz and Tracks in my hands, but didn't have the money for either and then couple days later they were gone.:(

gdmetro
11th March 2011, 01:55 AM
Yeah United Jazz seems to be sold out EVERYWHERE, it's ridiculous. Still I've found a few places selling him for about US$25 and I'v bookmarked them hoping for a restock.:D

But I'm still kicking myself since I had both RtS Jazz and Tracks in my hands, but didn't have the money for either and then couple days later they were gone.:(

Hmm the cheapest one on Ebay is $57 including shipping. :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-United-JAZZ-UN-12-G1-Japan-Takara-MIP-/260748550924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb5d3230c

Probably get the RTS because it's cheaper. But if you do want United Jazz (any united for that matter)- I suggest you grab it IMMEDIATELY because all United has been sold out/hard to find now/ reaching insane prices- read HD's blog to see how crazy it is in Hong Kong-

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2011/03/hong-kong-market-watch-transformers.html

Doubledealer
11th March 2011, 02:31 AM
...if you do want United Jazz (any united for that matter)- I suggest you grab it IMMEDIATELY because all United has been sold out/hard to find now/ reaching insane prices- read HD's blog to see how crazy it is in Hong Kong

Wisest words of the week, gdmetro. I literally bought the last UN-Jazz & UN-Scourge from RK before they sold out! It seems that if you so much as blink, you'll either miss out or be paying much more later down the line. If you're hesitating, you're probably better off buying it then selling it again later if you change your mind...Not like they're going to depreciate, well...Ever!

I just feel sorry for those who've decided to collect the Classics only recently. That's one helluva expensive back catalogue, and they're only a few years old! :eek:

GoktimusPrime
11th March 2011, 05:11 PM
I'm not gonna pay $57 for a Deluxe, that's just silly. And especially now that I have RtS Jazz. I'm going overseas soon, so if I happen to find a United Jazz at RRP, and there's nothing else I wanna buy, then I might get it. But otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with RtS Jazz... while I can see UTD is better, I don't think RtS is horrific.

Does UTD Jazz still have the issue of the chest not locking in robot mode?

gdmetro
11th March 2011, 06:16 PM
I'm not gonna pay $57 for a Deluxe, that's just silly. And especially now that I have RtS Jazz. I'm going overseas soon, so if I happen to find a United Jazz at RRP, and there's nothing else I wanna buy, then I might get it. But otherwise I'm pretty satisfied with RtS Jazz... while I can see UTD is better, I don't think RtS is horrific.

Does UTD Jazz still have the issue of the chest not locking in robot mode?

I agree its silly Gok- and thus my advice to go for the RTS one now. United has been in so much demand in HK (from HD's observation). Even popular Generations waves which are normally cheaper in HK than Aussie retail have reached prices that equal or EXCEED aussie retail.

But if one desperately wants United Jazz and won't compromise- based on current trend, I think it's best to pick one up (even at inflated cost) instead of waiting- because it doesn't look like the price will go down anytime soon.

The truth is those who wanted united, most likely already got them from the onset at the online RRP- but those who sat on the fence are pretty much going to have to pay these secondary market prices or go for the RTS version.

One may possibly be lucky and find some at big retailers in Asia somewhere for RRP before any scalpers get to it. That would be one way- could be others that I can't think of.

As for the Jazz's chest- there is no actual locking mechanism- I don't have the RTS version, but I'm assuming they are the same mould. Personally its not a problem since I merely display- but I can see the annoyance if one is playing with the figure.

Fonecrusher
13th March 2011, 11:56 AM
True, there's no way I'm paying $50+ for a deluxe even if it is one of my favourite characters, the range I'm looking for is more $35-40. RtS Jazz is by no means poor, if I can actually find him at retail I will pick him up in an instant, but my line of thought is if I have to order online I might as well go the United one.

The only thing that really bother me about RtS Jazz is that "murky white" I guess it would be a lot less prone to yellowing then the United version but I always picture Jazz that gleaming bright white, also I've heard that United Jazz has a more sturdy chestpiece, a big deal given the mold apparently doesn't lock into place on it's own, can anyone confirm this?

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2011, 04:21 PM
The only thing that really bother me about RtS Jazz is that "murky white" I guess it would be a lot less prone to yellowing then the United version but I always picture Jazz that gleaming bright white,

It honestly doesn't look that bad IRL. I think it's a lot like the white on Drift -- on its own it looks fine, but when you put it next to a super-pearly white United version then it looks murky by comparison. Anyway, the toy's been sighted in Targets in Sydney now -- I just saw some at Target Blacktown earlier this afternoon. So you can just go into a store and judge for yourself.

The United version is probably better if you can find it... I couldn't find a UTD Jazz so I settled for RtS.

Here are some comparison pics...

G1 & RtS Jazz: (pic by me)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/Classicsverse/comparison_chugurg1_jazz.jpg

G1 & UTD Jazz: (pic by liegeprime)
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/GIvsClassics002.jpg

UTD & RtS Jazz: (pics by Vector Prime)
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae21/phuynh1979/201101300029509d7.jpg

tjparkside
20th March 2011, 08:13 AM
very cool figure...i like the special feature of speakers(g1 show nod)...great vehicle mode & awesome robot mode..a nice version of jazz!

SharkyMcShark
21st March 2011, 06:01 AM
I saw this on shelves, caved and picked it up.

Meh.

The robot mode looks nice from certain angles but has a few things that really annoy me. First, and this is largely down to the torso being a small piece of gray plastic, but the chest looks too large. It's not as bad in person as in pictures but it still detracts from the figure. Feet pre posed at an angle also turns me off. Either make the ankles posable or have them molded straight up and down. The double jointed knees are nice but in honest the lower legs are a bit of a mess all in all. This is exacerbated on my particular sample by the joints in the lower legs being too loose. Every time I try to make him pose it turns into a crap shoot.

The chest not locking in is slightly annoying but its not really that bad, as the joint it all hinges on does a good job keeping it all in place. You still have to hold it in place if you're going to pose the arms.

Pleasantly it manages to avoid many of the previous failings of 'car hood becomes chest' style transformers. The arms and legs are the right length (in the past the arms on similar bots have been stubby). The gun is nice, and it looks nice if you're just going to pose it on your desk. I also really like the head sculpt. It could be a little less frowny but otherwise its very good, and unmistakably Jazz.

The car mode is molded nicely. I feel it would be more 'Jazz' ish without the rally spoiler but I can't really complain, it looks nice either way. The lack of paint on the back third of the vehicle is a major downer. Seriously, it's just not good enough that Hasbro is not bothering to paint in headlights and hubcaps anymore (generally speaking). While the United version rectifies this arguably it's a bit dumb to have to pay over the odds (for a deluxe) to correct something so simple that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. So yeah, vehicle is molded nicely but the paintwork fails.

Finally, the speakers. I don't like them at all. Personally speaking I think they look dumb, but objectively speaking when I look at them all I can think of is all the other stuff I'd rather them have used the budget for this figure on instead. Better paint apps. Or a shoulder cannon. Or better lower legs. Or a proper locking mechanism for the chest. Or an extra joint in the doors that would let them fold down and behind the roof in robot mode for that G1 cartoon accurate no shoulder doors look. Any of these things would in my mind be an improvement to the figure.

Overall if I had to give it a number 6/10. Robot mode is nice looking but functionally flawed. Car mode desperately needed a lick of paint.

As an aside, I can't remember the last time I bought a Transformer and everything on it was the right tolerance, and nothing was too loose, too tight, or broken in some way (well okay, it was TakaraTOMY's release of AA Highbrow a few months ago, but I can't remember the last time before that).

Fonecrusher
21st March 2011, 06:19 PM
Well I finally gave in and ordered RtS Jazz, he should be arriving any day now. Although I wanted the United version pretty bad, I stumbled on a deal I just couldn't pass on. I found a seller at TFW selling RtS Jazz and Tracks MISB for $5.99ea! All up I paid just $26 for the two of them, that's less than the price of a single deluxe here in some stores *cough TARGET cough*.

Hopefully one day I'll still get United Jazz.... the dream lives on! :D

GoktimusPrime
23rd March 2011, 10:27 PM
RtS Tracks honestly isn't that bad. They did a much better job with him than on Generations Red Alert. And hey, for the price you paid you can't complain. :) And overall I think United Tracks looks better (mostly cos of the bonnet flames and Autobot tampo on the chest which I prefer over the rub sign) -- but I noticed that RtS Turbo Tracks has yellow paint apps on those pieces under his armpits which is a neat touch.

Tetsuwan Convoy
24th March 2011, 06:32 PM
but I noticed that RtS Turbo Tracks has yellow paint apps on those pieces under his armpits which is a neat touch.
Sweat marks?

:cool:

I just realised the United version is called 'Jazz' Not Meister. OH no, Convoy is Optimus, Meister is Jazz. What a state of the world...

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2011, 12:01 AM
Yeah, that's been happening since 2007 dude. ;)

Mr Ed
25th March 2011, 04:44 PM
UTD Jazz looks a lot nicer.

It looks whiter to me?

What car does it resemble in real life?

jaydisc
25th March 2011, 04:48 PM
I'd say it's an intentionally ambiguous combination of his movie likeness, a Pontiac Solstice and his original likeness, a Porsche.

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah, it's a Not-Porsche cos Porsche/Volkswagen won't allow their vehicles to be associated with war. The 2007 Transformers movie made a small joke about this when Bumblebee slams his door into an adjacent yellow VW Beetle. ;)

Tetsuwan Convoy
25th March 2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah, that's been happening since 2007 dude. ;)

LOL yeh, but to me the movie-verse doesn't count. And Animated wasn't G1 looking enough, so I kinda assumed that they wouls swing back to Convoy etc once they started homaging G1 again.:rolleyes:

1AZRAEL1
27th March 2011, 01:37 PM
RtS Tracks honestly isn't that bad. They did a much better job with him than on Generations Red Alert. And hey, for the price you paid you can't complain. :) And overall I think United Tracks looks better (mostly cos of the bonnet flames and Autobot tampo on the chest which I prefer over the rub sign) -- but I noticed that RtS Turbo Tracks has yellow paint apps on those pieces under his armpits which is a neat touch.

Tracks? :confused: I thought this was a review thread for Jazz :p

But I finally got myself a Jazz. Really cool figure, and the missing paint apps doesn't really bother me, and the cream coloured white is fine to me as well. Overall, I like the figure, and say grab him when you see him, as they are there one minute, and gone the next. Worth the4 money spent.

SkyWarp91
27th March 2011, 02:18 PM
This toy has the strong funky feel to it with the inbuilt speakers, the smooth car mold and the nice body proportions. Wasn't a fan of how the torso doesn't click onto the pelvis though and the lack of paint on the back - a 7/10.

GoktimusPrime
27th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Tracks? :confused: I thought this was a review thread for Jazz :p
D'oh! my bad *smacks.forehead*

But I finally got myself a Jazz. Really cool figure, and the missing paint apps doesn't really bother me, and the cream coloured white is fine to me as well. Overall, I like the figure, and say grab him when you see him, as they are there one minute, and gone the next. Worth the4 money spent.

The colours don't bug me at all... but the chest's inability to lock really bugs me. :mad:

1AZRAEL1
28th March 2011, 09:22 AM
The colours don't bug me at all... but the chest's inability to lock really bugs me. :mad:

The chest not being able to lock is irritating, but for someone who will only display him, it doesn't really bother me.

5FDP
28th March 2011, 09:41 AM
...and the missing paint apps doesn't really bother me

Yes it does ;)

1AZRAEL1
28th March 2011, 11:30 AM
Yes it does ;)

Shhhhhhhh :p

Nah if they really did, I'd just order the reprolabels stickers.

GoktimusPrime
28th March 2011, 03:00 PM
At least the lack of paint apps you can easily fix with paint or stickers... the lack of chest locking on the other is not so easy to remedy... unless you're some kind of skilled MacGuyver toy modder like kup.

1AZRAEL1
28th March 2011, 03:13 PM
At least the lack of paint apps you can easily fix with paint or stickers... the lack of chest locking on the other is not so easy to remedy... unless you're some kind of skilled MacGuyver toy modder like kup.

I was thinking about fixing mine up...

I have some ideas, and I will test them out on my figure.

i_amtrunks
28th March 2011, 05:28 PM
He's okay... no chest locking is the only design fault, but I'm just not that into this figure, the grey feet and torso really bother me for reasons I do not understand, and I care not at all for the speaker add ons.

Also the chin bothers me, which is very silly, as I loved the oversize chins in animated... :D

Easily worth the $23 I paid for them, and as many others have said, it is a great figure, he just is not one of my favourites.

Vector Prime
10th April 2011, 04:18 PM
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but I stumbled across this the other day on tfw2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/344993-rts-jazz-alternate-weapon-mode.html).

I pretty much think the speakers are useless and I don't even fold them out, so this is a pretty cool trick to utilise them better.

It also makes his gun a lot more impressive.

Apparently it's in the instruction manual, but I never read those things, so move along if you do and it's old news to you :p

Lint
10th April 2011, 04:56 PM
I don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but I stumbled across this the other day on tfw2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/344993-rts-jazz-alternate-weapon-mode.html).

I pretty much think the speakers are useless and I don't even fold them out, so this is a pretty cool trick to utilise them better.

It also makes his gun a lot more impressive.

Apparently it's in the instruction manual, but I never read those things, so move along if you do and it's old news to you :p

Not only is it in the instructions but it's also on he back of the bloody box :p (Well the United version anyway)

I personally prefer the various sonic crossbow/bowcaster configurations but my favourite is just leaving the gun folded up to make fat pistol so those speakers really are useless. :D

Vector Prime
10th April 2011, 05:01 PM
Not only is it in the instructions but it's also on he back of the bloody box :p (Well the United version anyway)

Lol... I don't have the United version, so I wasn't aware of that.

But yeah, as you can tell, I don't pay too much attention to the packaging or instructions. :o

Deceptic_Optic
26th April 2011, 04:02 AM
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1426.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1427.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1428.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1429.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1430.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1431.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1432.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1375.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1376.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/de3dz/JPEG1374.jpg