PDA

View Full Version : A journey through the JP Gen1 cartoon.

griffin
3rd January 2011, 10:49 PM
I bought the complete JP Gen1 cartoon series on DVD a few years back, and am now forcing myself to watch (read) them each night before I go to sleep.

So as I progressively post up comments, maybe some of you can join me on this journey, with your thoughts or even (re)watch the series with me.
I'm looking to watch an episode or two per night.

Starting with Headmasters, it is often surrealistic to see the classic Gen1 cartoon characters, and even have some of the same sound effects, but all the voices are 'wrong'... so it takes a bit to get used to that component of it.

The scripting is weaker than the US released Gen1 cartoon, with specific plot elements/devices often making even less sense than the US ones.

For this recent Headmasters series DVD release, a choice of audio tracks was available - so I chose original JP audio with English Subtitles, so I could hear all the different original voices, but just had to read what they were saying. It's unavoidable in the follow-up JP series, so I might as well get used to it now.

I quickly got sick of hearing the openning and closing credit songs, so skip over them. At least the US opening credits had minimal lyrics, and none on the closing credits. But maybe it's just the way JP language sounds to me in song...

Intro done, now to the comments on actual episodes.

(I only just realised after starting this, that the JP Headmasters series is set in 2011, which makes it fitting to be watching it right now)

griffin
3rd January 2011, 10:52 PM
Four Warriors From Outer Space.
The Mystery of Planet Master.
Behold the Birth of Double Prime.

The first three episodes were a 3-part story, so will comment on all 3 together.

Since the US 3-part story 'Rebirth' is not included in the JP Gen1 cartoon universe, this story takes place after the episode 'The Return of Optimus Prime' (the US title). As such, the Matrix is empty, and it seems that the Decepticons are taking advantage of the chaos, by trying to capture Cybertron and Vector Sigma.

For some reason, the Decepticon Headmasters are already around, but the Autobot ones only just arrived in this story. And very little is explained, other than that they have (suddenly) returned after 4 million years.

We also don't know much about the planet 'Athenia', or where it is, despite it being implied that they have had the base for ages, and is of strategic importance.

A fair bit of fighting goes on throughout this story, which pads out the story a fair bit, and we get to see new characters being shown off to the audience. We also see the end of Soundwave and Blaster, who fight to the death, killing each other.

Some other things that bothered me:
- The poor timing the writers had with the plot. We have Optimus going to Cybertron and spends about 2 whole episodes slooooowly making his way to Vector Sigma, only to have everyone one else show up within minutes of their journey.
- Galvatron is closer to Vector Sigma when it exploded, but Optimus Prime dies, and he seems quite happy to sacrifice himself.
- The Autobots in a later episode can easily rebuild a 'dead' Blaster, but don't do anything with rebuilding Optimus.
- Hot Rod becomes Rodimus again, and seems to be a big deal as if it is the first time.
- Trypticon tries to walk across a tiny suspension bridge, and naturally it breaks.
- The Autobot Headmasters tell Galvatron their names when he demanded it.
- Chromedome says he's the leader of the Autobot Headmasters in episode 1, but Fortress (Cerebros) says he is, in episode 2.
- In episode 2 the Autobots don't know if the Fortress Maximus (battleship) is friend or foe, despite arriving in the previous episode and having 4 Autobots fly out and fight the Decepticons.
- Optimus goes to to Vector Sigma without the Matrix, which he needs, so now a whole episode needs to be wasted looking for it. And why wouldn't it be kept on him instead of being hidden in the floor of some building, and not tell anyone where it is?

And Trains that can fly across the universe??? Who comes up with this crazy s...stuff?

kurdt_the_goat
4th January 2011, 12:20 AM
- Hot Rod becomes Rodimus again, and seems to be a big deal as if it is the first time.

Remember, there are all kinds of continuity problems relating to the movie since these cartoons aired before the movie came out in Japan!

griffin
4th January 2011, 12:32 AM
I thought the movie would have been out by then. But even if it hadn't, they had like 40 post-movie episodes before this one, with Rodimus Prime as the leader the whole time. After a year of him as leader, he was only back to Hot Rod for probably a couple weeks, so shouldn't have been a big deal being Rodimus again.
(and with the Dark Awakening story, he's been converted to Rodimus 3 times now)

ITZTRU
4th January 2011, 01:02 AM
I tried to watch it...i dont think i got half way through headmasters...just couldnt bare to go through it all...didnt like it much at all!

Deonasis
4th January 2011, 01:07 AM
And Trains that can fly across the universe??? Who comes up with this crazy s...stuff?

I know its not the same but I have to say it.. ahem.. Astrotrain :p

kurdt_the_goat
4th January 2011, 01:08 AM
The movie was delayed till 1989, and even Season 3 episodes were aired in a different order creating more continuity problems, according to TFWiki.

You're right of course about Rodimus regardless, i guess what i suggest overall is just enjoying the flashing colours and appearances of characters more than the attention to detail in the stories! :)

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2011, 01:10 AM
Forget how easily Blaster and Soundwave were rebuilt, I can't believe how easily they were KILLED!! :o They have one hell of a punching arm apparently. Or maybe they both have one super-weak-dim-mak-death-point on their bodies, and by absolute fluke they managed to hit each other in those exact spots at the same time with sufficient force to shatter each other. What amazing coincidence. (-_-)

Aw man, you're gonna be in for a lot more "That's bullspit!" moments as you go through this series. :) But I still think that The Headmasters is 1000 times better than The Rebirth. ;) (although the later appearance of Prowl has since been explained via retcon.

This dude (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Masumi_Kaneda) :) Hey... everyone seemed to accept a flying shark in Car Robot/RiD. :p

Bartrim
4th January 2011, 06:32 AM
I found Headmasters a bit of chore to watch but forced myself to do it. I think it does get better in the end but I'd rather watch rebirth.

Oh and if you think Wheelie and Daniel were annoying in the US cartoon wait to until you see them in this.

Not much else I can say except Arcee go get me a coffee and take a memo!:p

I'm onto the last disc of Masterforce ATM and apart from Cancer I am enjoying this show and the characters alot more.

liegeprime
4th January 2011, 08:34 AM
Headmasters is my least favorite of the Tf series. I found myself at the middle part of the series just skipping thru some of the episodes as it is boring!

Kinda spoiler comment.....
They shouldve left Daniel to rot in that planet, I mean what could spike do to them anyhow? They can just make a new baby - one less irritating....:D:p

gekisou
4th January 2011, 10:54 AM
I have to agree that Headmasters was the weakest of the 3 series of G1 that Japan released.
And while it does have some fantastic stories from time to time, overall the series was pretty meh.

kaiden
4th January 2011, 12:54 PM
i have the dvds, but i've avoided watching them for a long time now, mainly because of the poor script and voice acting.

maybe i'll try watching them like everyone else is.

liegeprime
4th January 2011, 02:06 PM
i have the dvds, but i've avoided watching them for a long time now, mainly because of the poor script and voice acting.

maybe i'll try watching them like everyone else is.

well, from what Ive heard there could be only like 3-4 people voice acting (poorly) which accounts for a lot of the "doesnt he souund like that other guy" kinda feeling when you watch it...Still it was fun watching it when I was a kid on Star TV but now it kinda peeves me off.:p

griffin
5th January 2011, 01:52 AM
Ep 4 - The Autobot Cassette Operation

Soundwave and Blaster are both reborn/rebuilt into Soundblaster and Twincast, while Sixshot and Soundblaster attacks the Autobots with a Madmachine bug. Only Blaster can save the Autobots, as Soundblaster has the device that controls the bug.

Again, why did the Autobots resurrect Blaster and not Optimus? Maybe Rodimus didn't want to hand back the Matrix...

I liked seeing all six of Soundwave's first six cassettes in the one shot, which is the only time I think that ever happens.

It's no wonder some fans used to think that the cassettes were like Soundwave's children, with the way this episode portrays Blaster and Soundwave like Parents to their own cassettes.

Ep 5 - Rebellion on Planet Beast

This was just an episode to advertise the Battle Beasts (or whatever their JP name was). For such an extensive range of figures, I was surprised they were only in one episode.

The Autobot Headmasters are called to Planet Beast to free the 'good' beasts that are slaves to the Decepticons and the 'evil' beasts.
Monsterbots are also featured, and for some reason, Daniel doesn't recognise them, and they are ordered to stay behind on the planet. (translation subtitle says 'two', but there are 3 of them)
Battleship Fortress (Fortress Maximus) is able to suck up all the water in a large swamp... but where does it go?
The Decepticons kept their construction plans on a piece of paper on the wall... huh?

Since Fortress (Cerebros) transforms into a giant head in this episode, I'm hoping that when he eventually combines with the Battleship, it isn't built up as a big surprise.

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2011, 10:43 AM
Again, why did the Autobots resurrect Blaster and not Optimus? Maybe Rodimus didn't want to hand back the Matrix...
Cos Optimus didn't have a new toy that year, and they needed to plug Twincast. ;) :p

Ep 5 - Rebellion on Planet Beast

This was just an episode to advertise the Battle Beasts (or whatever their JP name was). For such an extensive range of figures, I was surprised they were only in one episode.
They're called "Beastformers" in Japan. And they'll appear again in later eps, though not with such prominence.

Battleship Fortress (Fortress Maximus) is able to suck up all the water in a large swamp... but where does it go?
Daniel's room. :p

IMO The Headmaster starts off pretty weak, but it gets better later and ends off quite well. :)

griffin
5th January 2011, 02:14 PM
Ep 6 - Approach of the Demon Meteorite

The Decepticons build a Meteorite that emits metal-bending radiation, and launch it towards Athenia, and only an organic being can stop it.

Just like the US story Rebirth, it's a plot device that requires a non-Transformer to overcome. On this occasion, Daniel is the one who saves the day, but only because his parents and every other human in the universe is unable to help. Yes, that's right,

Daniel is talked into doing it, because his mother is a token female and isn't even considered as a candidate, while his father is injured (but we aren't told how or when he was injured).

So we have a whole episode of whiny little Daniel, crying about how scared he is. Which is fair, since he's only supposed to be about 10... and even his mother didn't want to do it.

And what happened to all those Autobots who were warped and twisted? I guess they didn't die, but they weren't shown to be recovered and rebuilt.

Ep 7 - The Four-Million-Year-Old Veil of Mystery

The Decepticon Headmasters set a trap for the Autobot Headmasters, but since it is the same as one millions of years ago, the Autobots find a way to escape by swapping heads and combining their abilities. (somehow Cerebros is also suddenly able to escape on his own without help or transforming)

Zarak is finally introduced in this episode, albeit briefly and in shadow.

The planet where the trap is set, is called 'Praun'. Makes me think of 'Prawn' and seafood, but it's a desert planet.
It is said to be a planet northeast of Athenia... How can celestial bodies (planets) be given compass directions to each other?

We get to see more of the Planet Master backstory, but different to the flashbacks in Episode 1 which had a flourishing civilisation and they intended to go there. This time they are saying they had to make an emergency landing on Planet Master, and it was such a hostile environment that many didn't survive. Okay, both scenarios are possible, but the impression in Episode 1 was a lot different to this one, if you only ever saw one or the other.

The flashbacks also show them building their larger Headmaster bodies, and learning how to use them and transform them.

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2011, 11:34 PM
Daniel is talked into doing it, because his mother is a token female and isn't even considered as a candidate, while his father is injured (but we aren't told how or when he was injured).

Oh yeah... this series abounds with sexism. First we have Arcee being delegated as a non-combatant "bridge bunny" - or what's called an "OL" (Office Lady) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_lady) in Japanese corporate culture. Then you have this moment where we have a choice between two humans who can save the day:
A: An adult (who's also experienced at taking on Decepticons)
B: A child
...so logically they go with Option B! (-_-)

Reminds me of this...
"Okay, so here were my options. A: quickly duck left, dodge the claw and take him out with a spinning back kick, or B: take the claw in the face, roll on the ground and die."
*SMACK*
"Hmm, should have gone with A."
- Master Tang (Kung Pow: Enter The Fist)

griffin
6th January 2011, 02:00 AM
It's not just demeaning, but also a waste of characters. Carly and Arcee add nothing to the series, and if they didn't exist, the series/storyline wouldn't be impacted at all.
Such a shame, especially with Arcee.

I loved Rebirth... more happened, and made more sense (and respected existing characters), so this JP alternative is disappointing.

Ep 8 - Terror of the Six Shadows

Six countries are terrorised by Sixshot - using one of his six modes on each country. The Trainbots and Autobot Headmasters then fight over who has the right to take on Sixshot, and then they all have to show up to the battle anyway.

We get to see another flashback of Planet Master, which had Sixshot there before the Headmaster process was done.

Okay, now how can someone who has been around since the first episode, somehow manage to not be recognised by anyone, including his fellow Decepticons?
I also think that the translation was a little off when Galvatron says Dinobase (Trypticon) was destroyed. Disabled was more likely.

And can Daniel be any more of a whiny b*tch? A whole scene of him crying over buying presents for his parents... to the point that the Autobot Headmasters take time from their duties to console him.

Ep 9 - Planet Cybertron is in Grave Danger part one
Ep 10 - Planet Cybertron is in Grave Danger part two

Everyone believes Vector Sigma, the super computer, has come up with a formula for a super-strong metal, and both sides decide that they either have to capture it for themselves or prevent it falling in the hands of the enemy. In the process, Zarak manages to destroy Vector Sigma, which in turn destroys Cybertron.

This was another drawn out story, that could have been contained in one episode, with people running around the centre of Cybertron - and like with the first story, some took seconds to get to Vector Sigma, while others took what seemed hours.

I'm not sure if Megatron or Galvatron ever wanted to destroy Cybertron as willingly as Zarak did in this story. The Decepticon leader had always wanted to capture Cybertron, and in this story Galvatron even tries to stop Zarak's bombs. (but isn't quick enough)
And how impossible is it to remove or disable 3 bombs (that aren't described as anything special)? Even if they were magically stuck to the support structures of Vector Sigma, why didn't they just cut around them and get rid of them?

With all the Autobots now on the roster, why do they need to draw in so many generic Autobot guards?

An animation error that made me laugh - when the Protectobots and Aerialbot first arrive to fight off Galvatron, Superion is drawn instead of Silverbolt, so we have a small sized Superion running alongside his four 'limbs'.

Just how indestructible is Galvatron, as he's already survived an explosion that killed Optimus... can he survive an explosion powerful enough to destroy a whole planet?

So Rodimus just up and leaves, with the Matrix... with new-comer Fortress in command instead of Ultra Magnus, who was Optimus Prime's prefered replacement (in the movie).

And can Arcee be potrayed as being any more useless because she's a female? Actually, Blurr and Kup weren't much use either while Rodimus was fighting Galvatron. But when those other three depart to look for a new world (they already live on Earth and Athenia, so why look for a new planet), they don't want Arcee to come along because she is only good for babysitting Daniel.
In the Movie, she seemed to have a 'bigger pair' than Hot Rod, and was hardened warrior all the way through to Rebirth in the US series... so this just seems like a real waste of a character.

The concept of Autobots being able to fly is so inconsistent in this story. Throughout Gen1 (after the first episode which had them flying), it was made into a plot device that they can't fly (except jets and Dinobots). In this series, we've seen that the Headmasters can fly, but when Chromedome falls through a walkway near Vector Sigma, he doesn't save himself by flying. And at the end when Rodimus, Kup and Blurr leave, they fly away.

While on the topic of inconsistencies - Chromedome wants to warn the others about what the Decepticons are up to... so instead of using an internal or external communicator (which has been standard practice since the beginning of Gen1), he feels the need to psychically contact his fellow Headmasters... and somehow succeeds!

One thing positive (I don't want to be negative about everything), I do like seeing all the combiner groups get so much screen time in this series. Perhaps it should have been called 'Combiners' rather than 'Headmasters'.

Bartrim
6th January 2011, 07:32 AM
I kliked seeing the combiners in Headmasters too. The only thing that annoyed me was most of the time they just stay in combined mode. Like they have to be combined to be anyway effective. I also find it kind of ironic that they do this as in most other G1 fiction they aren't as effective combined because the five personalities usually clash.

Damn it Arcee I said I wanted an onion bagel with this coffee not a cheese bagel! and someone shut that whingy little bitch up!:mad::p:o

griffin
6th January 2011, 02:00 PM
That bugs me too, about the combiner groups needing to be combined most of the time. We just don't end up getting any character development from the individual members like we did with the US Gen1 cartoon.

Most of the existing combiner members I could describe their different character traits from the US cartoon... but the Trainbots and Predacons are like generic robots - they travel in a pack and don't portray any specific differences to each other. All they seem to do in this show is show up, fight, combine, and fight some more.

Hursticon
6th January 2011, 04:40 PM
I've just finished up to 'Planet Cybertron is in Grave Danger (Part 1)' myself and I've got to say, Rodimus' whole 'I've got to go on this journey you see' thing is really odd to say the least - what is more odd is how Daniel is seemingly able to breath within the Vacuum of space unassisted whilst standing on the ruins of Cybertron!?! :confused::confused::confused:

I agree with pretty much all of the comments made thus far on the Headmaster series and although the Language Barrier sort of causes a bit of distancing or detached-immersion :(, I've got to say though I am quite enjoying the series - seeing all the new/old characters and more combiner time :D, although the combiners do always seem to be combined and fighting each other for no explicable reason? :confused::p, as it's increasing my urge to see the rest of the Japanese series up to Beast Wars II/Neo - so long as they've got subtitles. ;):)

GoktimusPrime
6th January 2011, 10:31 PM
It's not just demeaning, but also a waste of characters. Carly and Arcee add nothing to the series, and if they didn't exist, the series/storyline wouldn't be impacted at all.
Such a shame, especially with Arcee.
Yeah but one could also argue that Season 3's story wouldn't be impacted at all if you removed Daniel and Wheelie. So if anything, they're being consistent with keeping them bloody useless and Jar Jar Binkish. :p :p It totally does suck how Arcee is relegated as Fortress Maximus' beeotch.

I loved Rebirth... more happened, and made more sense (and respected existing characters), so this JP alternative is disappointing.
Personally I really prefer The Headmasters despite its weak start. The Rebirth kinda had an exciting start (ooh, look at all those new toys/characters) but then didn't really go anywhere with it. While it's true that some characters get sweet scrap all character development, like the individual gestalt members (poor Suiken needs more love :p), other characters do get pretty decent character development though, especially Sixshot -- I was quite impressed with his character development... much better than what Rebirth gave us. (and Daniel actually contributes to his development too - arguably the only scrappin' useful thing he's ever done in the entire cartoon continuity!)

But there are some more painful things to come... one of the lamest moments would have to be the death of Ultra Magnus *shudder* -- possibly the stupidest Transformers death scene ever.

We get to see another flashback of Planet Master, which had Sixshot there before the Headmaster process was done.

Okay, now how can someone who has been around since the first episode, somehow manage to not be recognised by anyone, including his fellow Decepticons?
Cos he's a ninja (http://askaninja.com/) ;)

An animation error that made me laugh - when the Protectobots and Aerialbot first arrive to fight off Galvatron, Superion is drawn instead of Silverbolt, so we have a small sized Superion running alongside his four 'limbs'.
Mebbe it's that undersized knockoff Superion. :p

So Rodimus just up and leaves, with the Matrix... with new-comer Fortress in command instead of Ultra Magnus, who was Optimus Prime's prefered replacement (in the movie).
Yup! Makes Optimus Prime's comments to Rodimus Prime in The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y) all the more funnier. ;) Although, considering how freakishly easy it is for Sixshot to kill Ultra Magnus, maybe it was better off for Rodimus to keep the Matrix^give the Matrix to Fortress Maximus!

And can Arcee be potrayed as being any more useless because she's a female? Actually, Blurr and Kup weren't much use either while Rodimus was fighting Galvatron. But when those other three depart to look for a new world (they already live on Earth and Athenia, so why look for a new planet), they don't want Arcee to come along because she is only good for babysitting Daniel.
In the Movie, she seemed to have a 'bigger pair' than Hot Rod, and was hardened warrior all the way through to Rebirth in the US series... so this just seems like a real waste of a character.
Unfortunately Japan is still considerably behind the West when it comes to gender issues. :( The way that Arcee and Carly are portrayed in this series is typical of conservative Japanese views toward females, stemming from feudal Bushido values where even a woman's son (especially the eldest son) outranks her (hence why Daniel was opted above her to go on that stupid mission).

I've just finished up to 'Planet Cybertron is in Grave Danger (Part 1)' myself and I've got to say, Rodimus' whole 'I've got to go on this journey you see' thing is really odd to say the least
And Rodimus took the freakin' Matrix with him!! (o_O) Yeah, leave Fortress Maximus in charge of the war effort and DON'T give him the Matrix. Riiight.

- what is more odd is how Daniel is seemingly able to breath within the Vacuum of space unassisted whilst standing on the ruins of Cybertron!?! :confused::confused::confused:
Yeah but that's not anything new to The Headmasters. In Transformers The Movie Springer is able to fly out of Unicron and into space in his helicopter mode (how the scrap does a chopper fly in a vacuum?!?) and even in the pre-movie G1 eps, we saw humans breathing on Cybertron. Cybertron has Earth-like atmosphere despite an obvious absence of oceans and plants (at least, on the surface of the planet - the water and organic life buried deep at Cybertron's core wouldn't be enough to sustain an atmosphere that could be breathed by humans - and even if it could, wouldn't the Transformers rust? Oh wait, they're rust-proof (as Megatron stated in "Cosmic Rust" - convenient ;)). Cybertron even has a breathable atmosphere in the G1 comics too, although at least the comics did state that the actual structure of the planet is entirely different from Earth's (hence why the mutant Dynamo's ability to tap energy on Cybertron was severely stunted compared to his powers on Earth).

Then there's everyone's favourite reality-bending concept in Transformers...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/soundwave_massshift.gif mass shifting! :D

Later on you'll see that the Trainbots are the same size as Earth trains because human-sized characters sit in them, but other times massive Transformers can board inside them too! -- huh?!? Although that's not much worse than TFTM where Starscream had to duck his head to come aboard Astrotrain, yet there's enough space inside him for the Constructicons to form Devastator!! :o

griffin
7th January 2011, 01:46 AM
Sixshot (from what I've heard) is probably the only one with interesting character development in this series... which is a bit disappointing. Quite a few US Gen1 episodes focused on specific characters, with them learning something, or growing in some way, but it seems that Sixshot is the feature character in Headmasters when it comes to character development (so far). We keep having things happening, like Decepticons attacking or capturing stuff, but it's just happening for the sake of a large scale battle, instead of a small scale conflict that focuses on one or two characters.

I do like having all this screen time with the Headmaster characters (some of my most wanted toys when I was growing up), but with each episode spending so much time with a drawn out fight, the less sense it makes with inconsistent events in the battle and the outcomes.

Ep 11 - Zarak - the Shadow Emperor

Zarak claims that Galvatron survived, and told him to command the Decepticons (which most of the others just accept), and his first act is to capture a Human energy satellite, so that it's energy can be sent to his hidden base/planet, called planet Zarak.
While trying to recapture the satellite to bring back to Earth, the Autobots end up destroying it.

We get to see some initiative from non-leadership Decepticons this time, with Scourge and Cyclonus off doing their own thing because they don't trust Zarak.

When Zarak sends his own troops to capture the satellite, the Autobots on Earth don't detect their approach... the more distant Athenia base detects it. And only 4 Autobots are dispatched? (which are easily stopped by Sixshot, allowing the Satellite to be taken unchallenged)

Zarak has his own planet? I guess the Decepticon Headmasters were building it while the Autobot Headmasters were building Planet Master. We now see shots of Zarak's larger body (called Scorponok in the US), but looks to be dormant or in storage waiting for something.

Chromedome makes a move on Arcee, who is obviously just a token female character now.

At an Autobot party, Wheelie gets drunk and Hardhead wants to do some karaoke. So sad...

The Decepticon attack to destroy the satellite before it is launched - one shot from afar would have destroyed it, but the Decepticons are too busy flying in close, and wrestling with the Autobots.

An energy satellite, that just looks like it just collects solar energy... wouldn't it be much cheaper having those solar cells on the planet's surface, like in a desert region?
And if the satellite was that valuable, why not have it protected with defenses or guarded by someone?

Chromedome apologises to Spike, as if he's the sole representative of the human race.

A psychic beam will destroy the satellite by telepathy if he Autobots move it??? Could the Autobots be any more gullible?

Ep 12 - The Dormant Volcano Mysteriously Erups

To distract the Autobots from looking into his planet, Zarak has a volcano in South America erupt.

The Japanese just can't write humans well in this cartoon. The ones in this episode are really annoying and painful to watch.

Looks like I was wrong about the People from Planet Beast only showing up in one episode, as they appear briefly in this one as slaves for the Decepticons on Planet Zarak.

Both Broadside and the Trainbots try to fly through the Volcano debris instead of around it, and as such are forced back.

When the Trainbots get through to rescue the villagers, they people just stand around instead of rushing to safety.

Gotta love the titles of the JP episodes. It's no wonder fans used to make fun of them, and create fake episode titles for upcoming series in a JP style.

Broadside seems to be like Astrotrain - a huge jet mode to carry everyone, but a normal sized robot.

Still can't get over the flying, and sometimes floating, trains (Trainbots).

Zarak won't reveal his 'identity' to anyone yet, including the Decepticons... why?

At the end, the South American kid is held hostage, and Weirdwolf demands the Autobots tell them their transforming technique. What technique? The Decepticons know how to transform, and the Autobots aren't doing anything special that the Decepticons can't see them doing (like swapping heads to combine abilities).

Ep 13 - Head On, Fortress Maximus!

Another attempt to distract the Autobots, Zarak sends a giant carnivorous plant to Earth and Athenia. To defeat it, Fortress must combine with his battleship to form Fortress Maximus.

Fortress Maximus is finally revealed in robot form, but a plot device of a 'Master Sword' is suddenly mentioned as if it just materialised (on the bridge of the battleship, which even surprises Fortress), and is necessary for him to activate the transformation. That is just so Japanese... having a mysterious *sword* appear, that has super, mystical powers, for a race of mechanical, technological beings.

So if Fortress (Cerebros) is the same size as the other four Autobot Headmasters, who are really their heads piloting the larger bodies (which they built on Planet Master), why don't we see the head of Fortress (Cerebros) ever detach and exist independently?

The giant (organic) plants explode... huh?

The plant on Athenia explodes when the one on Earth is destroyed, as if they are somehow linked, and everyone seems to know it afterwards.

Zarak sits in a fully lit room, and yet is still shown as a shadow. I can see the need for the dramatic mystery, but at least give a reason as to why he's in permanent shadow.

The episode ends with the narrator asking the audience what could Zarak be building... um, we've already been shown what he is building. His Scorponok body.

canofwhoopass_87
7th January 2011, 02:47 AM
Looks like sitting through these eps is becoming more strenuous than you had initially hoped Griff :p

I gave up after about 10 mins skipping through one episode. Found it too irritating and difficult to watch. I suppose the japanese series wasn't made for a US G1 worshipping audience though?

Paulbot
7th January 2011, 08:44 AM
I think I got up to ep 11 (but I may have seen 12 too. I never saw Fort Max transform though) before I jumped ahead to Masterforce. I need to go back someday and watch the rest of Headmasters.

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2011, 10:24 AM
The Japanese just can't write humans well in this cartoon. The ones in this episode are really annoying and painful to watch.
Kaneda Masumi is hardly representative of all Japanese animation writers. Criticise Kaneda all you want, but I think it's a tad unfair to blanketly blame all Japanese anime writers based on just his work. :/

Fortress Maximus is finally revealed in robot form, but a plot device of a 'Master Sword' is suddenly mentioned as if it just materialised (on the bridge of the battleship, which even surprises Fortress), and is necessary for him to activate the transformation. That is just so Japanese... having a mysterious *sword* appear, that has super, mystical powers, for a race of mechanical, technological beings.
Magical swords are a staple of mythology as they're a more personal and romantic weapon compared to range weapons (e.g. guns) - Excalibur, Kusanagi, Hrunting, He-Man's Power Sword, Narsil/Andúril - one may argue that it seems strange in a "science fiction" setting, but even light sabres in Star Wars were portrayed as 'magical' weapons, like the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi gives Luke Skywalker his father's light sabre.

I suppose swords are more revered in Japanese pop culture, possibly because Bushido revered swords above guns as a more noble and honourable weapon (at least in theory - in reality the Samurai did use guns, particularly during the Sengoku and even early Tokugawa periods, although firearms were forbidden during most of the Bakumatsu and saw a revival toward the end of that period as the Meiji Revolution came in).

"Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilised age." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

But in reality guns totally pwn swords, as wonderfully demonstrated in this scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc). ;) :D

So if Fortress (Cerebros) is the same size as the other four Autobot Headmasters, who are really their heads piloting the larger bodies (which they built on Planet Master), why don't we see the head of Fortress (Cerebros) ever detach and exist independently?
We do see the smaller head of Fortress ("Spike") detach independently, but not often (spoiler pic (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/92/Hm7_fortress_small_bot.jpg))

Zarak sits in a fully lit room, and yet is still shown as a shadow. I can see the need for the dramatic mystery, but at least give a reason as to why he's in permanent shadow.
He's a ninj--yeah okay, that is definitely just ridiculous. He should at least remain in a dark corner. :p

Looks like sitting through these eps is becoming more strenuous than you had initially hoped Griff :p

I gave up after about 10 mins skipping through one episode. Found it too irritating and difficult to watch. I suppose the japanese series wasn't made for a US G1 worshipping audience though?
Also you guys are looking at it as adults whereas the show was intended for children who wouldn't have necessarily picked up on all these things at the time. If we plowed through the US cartoon we'd easily find all kinds of flaws there too... if nothing else, at least the continuity within Headmasters itself is relatively more consistent than that of the US series. Kaneda Masumi may not be a prolific anime writer (like say, Miyazaki Hayao), but at least having a single lead writer helps to ensure relatively more consistent continuity within the series itself (I know the continuity does conflict with G1 continuity elements written outside of the series, e.g. TFTM).

Having said that, The Headmasters is widely considered even by Japanese fans to be the weakest of the JP G1 series. Masterforce and Victory are much better written and are more widely favoured by fans. Zone, even as a single episode OVA is not widely liked amongst Japanese fans. It does suffer from the "Rebirth" effect of shoving in a whole bunch of toys in a short span to advertise them, but Dai Atlas just really rubbed Japanese G1 fans the wrong way (similar to how a lot of fans have criticised ROTF Optimus Prime of just being too ruthless for an Autobot leader).

I think I got up to ep 11 (but I may have seen 12 too. I never saw Fort Max transform though) before I jumped ahead to Masterforce. I need to go back someday and watch the rest of Headmasters.
I personally think The Headmasters is worth watching to completion as I quite like its ending despite its lacklustre beginning. I find it a far more endurable watch than say, Beast Wars Neo - which I found utterly brain-numbingly dull, but I pushed on - and the final Angolmois quest and Unicron arc at the end was pretty good, but having to watch the rest of the series to get up to that point was just painful.

But then again, it's probably relatively easier for me to sit through these series compared to non-Japanese speakers... <vague.shrug>

Hursticon
7th January 2011, 10:54 AM
Magical swords are a staple of mythology as they're a more personal and romantic weapon compared to range weapons (e.g. guns) - Excalibur, Kusanagi, Hrunting, He-Man's Power Sword, Narsil/Andúril - one may argue that it seems strange in a "science fiction" setting, but even light sabres in Star Wars were portrayed as 'magical' weapons, like the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi gives Luke Skywalker his father's light sabre.

I 100% agree with this Goki - Swords are well and above better weapons than guns, IMO for this reason predominantly: There is no honour in killing a person with a gun, an infant can kill with a gun, but it takes true skill and technique to properly use a Sword/Kitana or their derivatives. ;)

Besides, who's ever heard of someone raising aloft their magic gun? :p
(Alucard of Hellsing Excluded ;):D)

griffin
7th January 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't regret watching this series, but it can look like I'm not enjoying it. On the contrary, all the bizarre and annoying stuff is making me watch it more, to comment on it.

As for swords - I don't have a problem with them, and like the genres that heavily use them. I just find it difficult to blend the 'Fantasy' genre with the 'Science Fiction' genre, and make it believable. Even in He Man... where most of the power of the show comes from magic, with the swords either being for show or are able to shoot like guns anyway. When you have guns in a story universe, swords just can't compete (unless you have some sort of super-ninja warriors, like in GIJoe).

But aside from that (because it is fiction after all, so anything is possible if it is explained in a plausible way), the sudden appearance of a sword on the bridge of a battleship that Fortress designed and constructed, shouldn't have been written as being a surprise to him. It's his ship/body... who else put the sword there? And why should his robot body (Transtector, as they are suddenly called in the next story) need a magic sword to transform, when everyone else does it by thought.

Kaneda Masumi is hardly representative of all Japanese animation writers. Criticise Kaneda all you want, but I think it's a tad unfair to blanketly blame all Japanese anime writers based on just his work. :/ I only said this cartoon, not all JP cartoons.

kup
7th January 2011, 07:10 PM

I personally feel that the problem with Headmasters is that the Japanese tried to make it too 'American' without a proper understanding on how to do it and this caused it to become really odd and nonsensical with hybrid elements that don't go well together.

Masterforce and Victory have characters and stories more in line with Japanese Anime without trying to be 'Sunbow G1' and although to an American audience they may seem odd, the story works much better as it's largely consistent with the Japanese style of animation and story telling and therefore more coherent even if somewhat distanced from 'Marvel style' Transformers.

GoktimusPrime
8th January 2011, 12:56 AM
I 100% agree with this Goki - Swords are well and above better weapons than guns, IMO for this reason predominantly: There is no honour in killing a person with a gun, an infant can kill with a gun, but it takes true skill and technique to properly use a Sword/Kitana or their derivatives. ;)
For me, as far as romantic fantasy action is concerned, I prefer swords. As far as reality is concerned, I prefer guns! :D

And yeah, when it comes to fantasy, it does become kinda silly when people use melee weapons like swords when everyone else are using range weapons like guns. That's part of the reason why George Lucas had to invent the Force for Star Wars, cos otherwise Jedi and Sith would easily get cut down by blaster shots. Likewise only Force-users can use light sabres, because a non Force-user would lack the ability to effectively use it to deflect blaster shots (they'd most likely just get shot and die). Basically light sabres only work because Jedi/Sith are "magical" warriors. But IMO The Headmasters portrays Fort Max's sword in a somewhat mystical light, ya know, with the whole song and dance sequence that happens every time he summons it.

Besides, who's ever heard of someone raising aloft their magic gun? :p
(Alucard of Hellsing Excluded ;):D)

And Bruce Campbell (http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/army-of-darkness-bruce.jpg) (^O^)

I personally feel that the problem with Headmasters is that the Japanese tried to make it too 'American' without a proper understanding on how to do it and this caused it to become really odd and nonsensical with hybrid elements that don't go well together.

Masterforce and Victory have characters and stories more in line with Japanese Anime without trying to be 'Sunbow G1' and although to an American audience they may seem odd, the story works much better as it's largely consistent with the Japanese style of animation and story telling and therefore more coherent even if somewhat distanced from 'Marvel style' Transformers.

That's a very common viewpoint about The Headmasters compared with the other Japanese G1 series. It's kinda like "weening" Japanese audiences off the US series, then by time we get to Masterforce things get a lot better because all ties with the US series have been severed and thus the stories in Masterforce and Victory are notably better (note: Masterforce and Victory were also principally written by Kaneda Masumi). Some fans (like Chris McFeeley (re: audio commentary) have described the final climactic battle between Star Sabre and Death Zaras as being of comparable awesomeness to the final fight between Optimus Prime and Megatron in Transformers The Movie. On the last day of school last year, I showed the final battle to my Year 8 class and despite the fact that (presumably) none of them had ever seen Transformers Victory before and probably had next to no knowledge of G1 (let alone Japanese G1), all the boys in the class (and some of the girls :p) really enjoyed watching it. :)

Hursticon
8th January 2011, 09:50 AM
And Bruce Campbell (http://www.best-horror-movies.com/image-files/army-of-darkness-bruce.jpg) (^O^)

OMG, 1AZRAEL1 is going to kill me for forgetting "The Boom Stick" - Well, Hara-kiri it is then... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeyIVWgyJdQ) :p:D

griffin
8th January 2011, 04:34 PM
Ep 14 - Explosion on Mars! Maximus is in Danger!
Ep 15 - Explosion on Mars! Scorponok Appears!

Mars is rigged with explosives so that Zarak can capture the energy released, and power up his new 'weapon'. The Autobots fail to prevent it, and the new weapon appears in the form of Scorponok.

Size consistency is a problem with Zarak/Scorponok. We have a whole planet (Planet Zarak) with the new Scorponok body filling the entire interior when it breaks away like an eggshell, but then when he arrives on Mars he's about the size of Fortress Maximus. And when Zarak is the head, he's huge (the size of a regular bot), but then shrinks when transforms back to Zarak. I guess odd size shifting isn't new to Transformers.

The larger bodies of the Headmasters are suddenly given a name - Transtectors. And everyone suddenly starts using it as if it was common knowledge.

Zarak has been quite successful as a leader, destroying 2 whole planets... 3 if you include his own Planet Zarak.

And does this mean all those Beastformers slaves were all killed in the destruction of the planet? Nobody cared about them.

Destruction of Mars has upset the balance of the (whole) Universe. One small insignificant planet is destablilising the entire universe???

Ep 16 - Return of the Immortal Emperor

Zarak attempts to draw the Autobots into a trap by hosting his own coronation as Decepticon Emperor, but Galvatron arrives and instead of finishing them off, he lets them leave so he can take back his leadership.

Introduction of Punch (Spacepunch in this series), as the Autobot doublespy.
Although, his first scene has him drawn as Decepticon and then Autobot while in the room with Zarak... I guess his cover would be blown. :p

Return of Galvatron... huge dramatic build up throughout the episode, but was spoilt by the title.

The Autobots wonder if the UFO are aliens... um, that just didn't make sense, as everyone are aliens to them, including the Humans.

Zarak is having a coronation... I was half hoping Galvatron would say 'coronation Zarak, this is bad comedy' and shoot him.

Nice to see all six of Soundwave/Soundblaster's cassettes in one shot again, and having Ravage and Laserbeak (Jaguar and Condor) speaking. When they all transformed and went into Soundblaster's chest, I was laughing at the thought of him falling over backwards from the sheer weight of them all landing in there at once... but the scene changed.

Again Fortress can't transform without the Master Sword being fully charged. At least it wasn't a problem in the US cartoon.

The one thing that does bug me most about this series is the amount of wrestling and close quarter combat that occurs. They have weapons... use them and defeat the enemy quickly, or even at all. But I guess the episodes would only be about 4 minutes long if that happened.

Daniel tries to contact the UFO with his keyboard (like the movie 'Close Encounters'), and later he has a cry like a little girl when the UFO turns out to be Galvatron.

Bartrim
8th January 2011, 09:23 PM
The one thing that does bug me most about this series is the amount of wrestling and close quarter combat that occurs. They have weapons... use them and defeat the enemy quickly, or even at all. But I guess the episodes would only be about 4 minutes long if that happened.

That totally annoyed me too!!! It's almost as bad as energon when Megatron would just shoot and shoot and shoot Optimus and he would just stand there and talk about teamwork.

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2011, 10:00 AM
From a story-telling POV they want to have 'romantic' and interpersonal melee fighting - but you're right, it's something that's nearly impossible in a situation where you have automatic firearms. I think they went with the whole "Bushido honour" thing where mortal enemies put aside the ability to shoot each other and go melee... which is complete bollocks and even the Samurai never adhered to that (as mentioned in a previous post, even samurai happily used imported Spanish/Portuguese guns until they were outrightly banned (conveniently during a 250 year period of peace - as soon as war came back, so did guns ;))

It's much better when story writers try to create a reason as to why opponents can't shoot - something as simple as either losing their guns or the enemy has somehow managed to come in close enough where shooting no longer becomes viable. e.g. in Optimus Prime vs. Megatron in TF:TM, Megatron begins by crash-tackling Prime, thus he drops his rifle, and Megatron shoots at an unarmed Prime with his fusion cannon, then Prime tackles him into a wall which makes Megatron lose his cannon, thus the two of them go into melee fighting. But of course, as soon as Prime is able he picks up his rifle again ("Finish him off Prime!") - and likewise the moment Megatron spies a gun he attempts to stall Prime until he can grab it (thankfully Hot Rod provided him with the opportunity in the end).

It's just lazy writing... Kaneda's thinking that he wants to have them fighting close quarter, which is fine, but can't be bothered writing in a semi-plausible explanation for why they would bother to do so (which is a lot easier to do with Transformers since they can actually take a shot or two, allowing them to get close).

Destruction of Mars has upset the balance of the (whole) Universe. One small insignificant planet is destablilising the entire universe???
Butterfly effect? :p Or maybe Mars was a load-bearing planet. :p :p

Hursticon
9th January 2011, 10:18 AM
Butterfly effect? :p Or maybe Mars was a load-bearing planet. :p :p

Ha! LOL! :p:D
That's Good! :D:cool:

griffin
9th January 2011, 10:49 PM
Ep 17 - SOS from Planet Sandra

A distress call from a planet with a dying race, is received by both Decepticons and Autobots. As the Autobots try to send them energon/energy, the Decepticons try to stop them, claiming all energy in the universe belongs to them, and the AUtobots shouldn't be giving it away freely.

The Decepticons show interest in the distress call at first, which is odd. Fortunately Galvatron puts them in their place and reminds them that it has nothing to do with them (because they don't care about other people's problems).

I think the theme of this episode was to highlight the plight of our own planet's wasting of resources, as it is claimed that Planet Sandra's entire Planetary System (it's mistakenly called a 'Solar System', which only refers to our Planetary system, due to our star being called Sol in Latin)

A big deal is made for this being Daniel's first space voyage. It has to be another mis-translation, as Daniel has been half way around the galaxy already.

Ultra Magnus tips off the Decepticons of their 'plan B', by stopping the battle and unloading the energon, when all they had to do was keep fighting off the Decepticons on Earth, and the Athenia Autobots would have delivered their cargo without interference.

Arcee's role in this episode -the secretary, running messages around the office.

griffin
12th January 2011, 01:56 PM
Ep 18 - Daniel Faces his Biggest Crisis Ever

As the recent destruction of Mars has caused a disruption in the Space Bridge system, Spike wants to negotiate with Galvatron to co-operatively build a new energy source for both sides to use. But naturally, the Decepticons only use the negotiations to distract the Autobots while they continue their plans of universal conquest.

Introduction of Apeface and Snapdragon.

Punch is again a key character in this episode, alerting the Autobots to important things, including the fake Galvatron at the negotiations.

Spike wants to negotiate with Galvatron... this is a failure of the writer, as this character would know best how Galvatron and the Decepticons can't be trusted, even if it is in their own best interest.

The plan must be really insane if Galvatron says the Autobots are crazy for suggesting it.

The Decepticons plan to use it as opportunity to destroy the Autobots... gee, who couldn't have seen that coming? Oh wait, Spike didn't.

Galvatron wants to keep Daniel? I know it was just a stalling tactic, but makes him sound a bit too much of perverted, sadistic Decepticon leader.

Ep 19 - Fight to the Death on Planet Beehive

As the Destrons/Decepticons head off to plunder the Universe, they first come across a planet called 'Beehive'. The Beehive people fight off both Decepticons and Autobots, until Chromedome can convince them that they are there to help.

Meant to follow on from the previous episode, but can stand alone.

The planet looks like a giant beehive, and the 'humans' inhabiting it have giant bug eyes (or goggles). They remind me of Buzz-Off from MOTU.

When they die, they go grey-ish like Transformers do. I guess it's the animators way of making sure we don't think he's just taking a nap...

For some reason, Zarak is inside the 'helmet' of Scorponok's scorpion mode (he is usually only attached in robot mode) when the Decepticons depart, but later when he transforms to robot mode, he was inside as Zarak. And when the other Decepticons departed while he was in the scorpion helmet, he's like 10 times their size, despite being a tenth of their size when detatched as Zarak.

The first lot of the Beehive people know that the Autobots are friendly, but everyone else seems to think that all TFs are there to plunder their energy stocks.

On a whole new alien world, the first person Chromedome manages to run into, is the one person (child) he was looking for.

The Autobot Headmasters detach the main (big) gun from Battleship Maximus, and fire it at the Decepticons with explosive results, but without any recoil.

Hursticon
12th January 2011, 02:05 PM
Ep 18 - Daniel Faces his Biggest Crisis Ever

Ep 19 - Fight to the Death on Planet Beehive

It's a wonderful series isn't it? :p:D

I'm more or less on par with you Griff in watching the episodes and I've got to say that I'm really starting to enjoy the absolutely Zany plots, settings and interactions. :p
I don't know why though because its flawed at almost every turn but it has a sort of charm to it. ;):D

I certainly hope the following Japanese series are a little better though. :o

griffin
12th January 2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it's the wackyness that keeps me interested to see what madness happens next.

GoktimusPrime
13th January 2011, 10:22 AM
I think the Beehive ep is interesting in that it has casualties - and not just that, but then Chromedome had to find that deceased Beehive dude's son to inform him that his father had been killed in action and we see his son grieving for his father. Yeah I know the fact that the way Chromedome found Buzz-Off's son was an incredible fluke, but putting that aside I thought it was a very powerfully emotional moment. It delivers the message that this is a war and that people sadly do die and leave loved ones behind to mourn for them.

griffin
15th January 2011, 03:51 PM
Ep 20 - Battle for the Defence of the False Planet

Galvatron's plundering of the Universe for energy continues. This time they head towards a pair of planets called Twin Star, and attack the inhabited planet, but fail to find any energy because it was being stored on the uninhabited planet. The Autobots help fight off the Decepticons while the planet's people evacuate to the uninhabited planet.

The wacky element of this episode - the four Autobot Headmasters keep swapping heads to allow Arcana/Brainstorm to get a message personally to Fortress/Cerebros, when a simple radio transmission would have been easier and quicker.

Physics just keeps getting crazier on this cartoon - we have two planets being joined by a walkway/conduit, for the people of one planet to evacuate to the other. And then when they detach, the planet drifts away like a lifeboat.

Another race that doesn't trust either side, until they are convinced by one of the Autobots.

Arcee is babysitting again. Not to mention, why take Daniel and Wheelie on this this dangerous mission in the first place, if they keep getting in the way and have to be rushed off to somewhere safe and protected?

Quite a few Autobots and Decepticons suddenly show up for the battle for dramatic effect. The impression was that just the Headmasters were travelling around the Universe inside Scorponok and Maximus, so I'm not sure where all the combiner teams suddenly came from.

And how stupid are the Decepticons for not checking out the other planet, or even using their 'technologically advanced' scanning systems to locate the energy stockpile.

Ep 21 - Find Scorponok's Weak Spot

While continuing their pursuit of the Decepticons, the Autobots arrive at a prison (possibly a prison-planet). The prisoners are lower class peasants that say they were sent there after a failed revolution. The Decepticons take the energy from the ruling class (Who don't seem to care), while the Autobots fight off the Decepticons and over-throw the ruling class for the peasants.

This is an episode that shows quite horrific human slaughter by the Decepticons. I was actually quite shocked to see them shooting the men in the backs while they were running away. This would not be allowed in a G-rated cartoon, and I don't think we've ever had that sort of brutality included in any US Transformers cartoon. We had some 'organics' deaths in the previous couple of episodes, but this was wholesale slaughter... it kinda darkens the mood of the cartoon, taking it in a disturbing direction.

The Autobots easily take the word of prisoners that they are being oppressed, despite them resorting to criminal acts within Battleship Maximus. And after being easily convinced that this is true, the Autobots then overthrow a ruling government of an alien world, based only on the testimony of hardened criminals.

We see another Battle Beast/Beastformer, who some how escaped the Decepticons' Planet Zarak.

Mid-way through the episode, the Autobots learn that the weak spot of Scorponok is the Decepticon Symbol (I guess on his chest), but then in the last quarter of the episode, the Autobots are desperately seeking the information from the Beastformer. Maybe it was a mis-translation that they knew already, or the sub-titler was just wanting to spoil the episode for the viewers. If I could understand Japanese, I'd know what really happened.

Two of the Autobot Headmasters run out of power, so the four join hands, sing a song, roast some marshmallows (okay, maybe not), and they're all fully recharged and ready to defeat the Decepticons.

liegeprime
15th January 2011, 07:37 PM
It delivers the message that this is a war and that people sadly do die and leave loved ones behind to mourn for them.

Better get life insurance..... wouldnt wanna leave your love ones with the bills now :p

As Griffin mentioned why carry around stupid Daniel and annoying wheelie if they just get in the way anyhow.. they wanna be in the thick of it let em get a few bullets in their chassis (preferably in their heads though) and be done with it.Hmph Turns out Spike and Carly are such irresponsible parents really... no wonder Sparkplug up and at em or mebbe they dumped the old guy in some nursing home :p( if you have Daniel as a grandson why wouldnt you agree)

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2011, 11:38 PM
As Griffin mentioned why carry around stupid Daniel and annoying wheelie if they just get in the way
"He can stay and guard the base!" - The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime ;)

Every time Wheelie and Daniel do something annoying in this show (which would be any time they appear on screen), just go read the BotCon comic detailing their incredibly unpleasant death. :D Arcee may have wept, but fans were cheering with joy. Too bad it was a heroic death though... poor Roadbuster and Nightbeat suffered horrific undignified deaths, but freakin' Wheelie and Daniel get to die as heroes. PAH!

liegeprime
16th January 2011, 09:34 AM
It's only heroic if the ones left behind acknowledges it is:p..... Arcee does - (but I think she's just looney coz of the Headmaster process which clouds her proper judgement) while the rest of the Tf fandom doesnt = it isnt heroic then, majority rules!!!!

griffin
16th January 2011, 12:00 PM
Ep 22 - Head Formation of Friendship

Planet Paradise is the next target of the Decepticons. Same thing happens though - they arrive, set a trap, fight, and are chased off by the Autobots, while the natives, Daniel, Wheelie and Arcee pad out the plot and cast.

This is yet another episode of the Decepticons out in the universe looking for energy, with the Autobots pursuing them. When they first left Earth in episode 17 it just seemed like a single episode plot device, but now that it is a multi-episode story arc, I kinda feel that it should have been mentioned or emphasised that they were leaving Earth for an extended period of time, especially since Earth has been the focal point of the Transformers since the beginning.

Chromedome and Hardhead are outside the battleship while in space, and Chromedome is worried about slipping and *falling* off. And then he does, but Hardhead grabs him. I can believe they are able to magnetise their feet to prevent themselves floating away into the zero gravity of space, but to fall off and *down* off a spaceship made me laugh.

The Monsterbots show up as being part of the Autobot crew, but were supposed to be on Planet Beast, and weren't recalled.

Doublecross is actually quite funny, with his two heads in beast mode, arguing with each other. I want to see more of him.

A big deal is made of the four Autobot Headmasters combining their energies to recharge Highbrow, as the title suggests, but this wasn't the first time they did it.

GoktimusPrime
16th January 2011, 07:50 PM
Take note that in this episode Gorter (and later Papika as well) are able to ride inside the Trainbots establishing that the Trainbots are scaled for human-sized passengers. IIRC this will be contradicted later when full-sized Transformers are able to ride inside -- IIRC in "I Risk My Life For Earth" Chromedome rides inside

Doublecross is actually quite funny, with his two heads in beast mode, arguing with each other. I want to see more of him.
Yeah, he's pretty fun. Reminds me of Doubleheader in Anglophone G1 who I also find to be a fun character. :D

griffin
16th January 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure the Trainbots were carrying full size TFs in the early episodes.

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2011, 12:43 AM
And yet the cabins and seats in Ep22 are clearly human sized. If the scale was consistent, then the inside of the Trainbots should be gigantic for Gorter and Papika (much like the tube car seats were huge for Spike and Carly in Desertion of the Dinobots). So sometimes the Trainbots are scaled for humans and other times they're scaled for Transformers. :p To be fair, inconsistent scale (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Scale) is hardly unique to this series. ;) (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/c/c4/MakeHoistHuffer.jpg)

griffin
17th January 2011, 03:02 PM
Ep 23 - Mystery of the Space Pirate Ship

Galvatron is searching for Proton Energy on the Pirate Planet, but needs a map and a key to get to it. The Autobot and Decepticon Clones have the map, and Daniel inadvertently finds the key.

Oooo, Clones. We didn't get to see them much in the US Rebirth story, so this was an interesting episode. Talking in unison bugged me after a while though. And they are apparently not from Cybertron, but 'another planet'.

This planet plundering story arc continues, with the Autobots revealing that Galvatron has been to 13 planets so far, and has been successful in capturing energy from over half of them.

While they have the important job of tracking down the Decepticons and stopping their plans, Daniel tells Highbrow that he wants to have a closer look at a space-wreck, and Highbrow is happy to oblige.

The flashback of the Autobot Clones talking about the Decepticon Clones being turned by Galvatron suggests it happened some time ago, but Galvatron was only created about a year ago, and he's been really busy since then. It's possible, but it just feels like they are talking about something that happened years ago.

Twincast dragging off Highbrow like a lump of meat... so funny.

How irresponsible of Highbrow to load Daniel's gun with a live magazine and not telling him... the kid could have been playing with it later as a toy gun, and killed someone.

I keep thinking of the Seacons with the title of this episode, but gotta remind myself that it's the JP Beast Wars series that has Seacons as Pirates.

A fairly clever episode, with them needing a special key to get into the pyramid... and it was only Daniel's interest a space-wreck that gives it away.

Just like when Ultra Magnus tipped off the Decepticons in episode 17 of their plan B, this one has the plot device of Highbrow bringing the key to the planet before the Decepticons have been chased off. If they had held onto it until after the Decepticons had left, they could have entered the pyramid without interference. But then, if that happened, we wouldn't have the pivotal battle between the Clones, and between Scorponok and Fortress Maximus.

The ending doesn't make much sense though, as it suggests the energy is still inside the planet, which is why it was turned into a desert. But everyone leaves without searching more for it.

Ep 24 - The Death of Ultra Magnus

The Decepticons have returned to their planet, Charr, and plan anew. Galvatron sends Sixshot to lead an attack on the Autobots, while Scorponok has his Headmasters searching for the Autobot Energy stores to improve his chances of deposing Galvatron. On Earth, Sixshot and Ultra Magnus fight to the death, with Sixshot revealing a seventh mode - the Wingwolf.

This would have to be the worst title in this series, as it spoils what happens in this episode.

The Autobot outpost has generic troops, which only seem to be meant as cannon fodder, and many are easily destroyed.

The Wingwolf mode of Sixshot looks and sounds like a fan-made mode, especially since he's supposed to be a six-changer. Giving him a seventh mode kinda defeats the purpose of calling him Sixshot.

Ultra Magnus doesn't turn grey like everyone else, which was only used for dramatic effect before anyway, so probably shouldn't be a definite indicator of death. And considering how indestructible characters are at times, and how some are easily rebuilt, it is hard to accept an actual (permanent) death of a character.

GoktimusPrime
17th January 2011, 04:52 PM
Oooo, Clones. We didn't get to see them much in the US Rebirth story, so this was an interesting episode. Talking in unison bugged me after a while though. And they are apparently not from Cybertron, but 'another planet'.
Yeah, the talking in unison bugs me too; I much prefer Clone Wars where all the clones are different and unique despite being clones. But then I think that if I were to have seen this in 1987 then it would've probably seemed cool as the main gimmick with the clones was to have two identical robots who transformed into different alt modes. So not only do they look the same, but they think and talk the same. Rebirth more or less did the same thing with Fastlane and Cloudraker, only that they were a bit off synch ("Roger Dodger Optimus Prime! Roger Dodger Optimus Prime!") -- and Reflector was often portrayed in the same way.

The flashback of the Autobot Clones talking about the Decepticon Clones being turned by Galvatron suggests it happened some time ago, but Galvatron was only created about a year ago, and he's been really busy since then. It's possible, but it just feels like they are talking about something that happened years ago.
Galvatron could've time-jumped. ;)

How irresponsible of Highbrow to load Daniel's gun with a live magazine and not telling him... the kid could have been playing with it later as a toy gun, and killed someone.
Or himself. Perhaps that was Highbrow's plan. :p

I keep thinking of the Seacons with the title of this episode, but gotta remind myself that it's the JP Beast Wars series that has Seacons as Pirates.
You'll get plenty of Seacon action of Masterforce (though they still be not pirates ya scurvee sea dawg!)

Ep 24 - The Death of Ultra Magnus

The Decepticons have returned to their planet, Charr, and plan anew. Galvatron sends Sixshot to lead an attack on the Autobots, while Scorponok has his Headmasters searching for the Autobot Energy stores to improve his chances of deposing Galvatron. On Earth, Sixshot and Ultra Magnus fight to the death, with Sixshot revealing a seventh mode - the Wingwolf.

This would have to be the worst title in this series, as it spoils what happens in this episode.
Indeed! I just really REALLY hate the way Ultra Magnus was defeated and killed. It was the typical lazy way of making one character (Sixshot) look powerful by making his opponent (Ultra Magnus) grossly incompetent. It reminds me of a lot of martial arts/self-defence demonstrations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0XK6L5WAQ) I see and reminds me why I dislike most demos. In order for a fighter to be shown as good, you need to have him fighting against a competent and highly skilled opponent because the fighter is only ever as good as his opponent. But in this case it's even worse than incompetence... it's like Ultra Magnus _wants_ to die.

Ultra Magnus just allowed himself to get shot, then gets up again giving Sixshot time to transform and shoot him again. This process repeats itself over and over again until Sixshot has attacked Ultra Magnus in all of his modes - and NO time during this fight does he attempt to retreat, counterattack or do anything other than stand up again to get hit. It's just an incredibly stupid fight scene. The first fight between Cheetor and Blackarachnia is just as bad, but at least it was brief. Ultra Magnus vs Sixshot is not only stupid, but it was a long and extensively dragged out fight too (thanks to Sixshot needing to defeat him in 7 modes). *sigh*
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmconvoy.jpg

Ultra Magnus doesn't turn grey like everyone else, which was only used for dramatic effect before anyway, so probably shouldn't be a definite indicator of death. And considering how indestructible characters are at times, and how some are easily rebuilt, it is hard to accept an actual (permanent) death of a character.

The one thing I do like about this episode is that they actually showed the Autobots (and their allies) mourning for Ultra Magnus' loss and actually giving him a funeral. It was touching that they decided to bury him on Earth instead of in space or on another planet (e.g. Cybertron).

liegeprime
18th January 2011, 12:09 AM
But in this case it's even worse than incompetence... it's like Ultra Magnus _wants_ to die.

Ultra Magnus just allowed himself to get shot, then gets up again giving Sixshot time to transform and shoot him again. This process repeats itself over and over again until Sixshot has attacked Ultra Magnus in all of his modes - and NO time during this fight does he attempt to retreat, counterattack or do anything other than stand up again to get hit. It's just an incredibly stupid fight scene. [/IMG]

He couldnt deal with it at the moment heheheheh

griffin
18th January 2011, 12:38 AM
Considering Ultra Magnus didn't die in the Movie after being blown into lots of little pieces, this just seemed like a very cheap death... to, as Gok said, make Sixshot seem like a super powerful character.

I'm not sure why they bothered though, as he apparently goes soft soon, thanks to a friendship with Daniel.

Hursticon
18th January 2011, 11:16 AM
Considering Ultra Magnus didn't die in the Movie after being blown into lots of little pieces, this just seemed like a very cheap death... to, as Gok said, make Sixshot seem like a super powerful character.

I'm not sure why they bothered though, as he apparently goes soft soon, thanks to a friendship with Daniel.

I think they could've made Sixshot appear to be a powerful character if they'd maybe just employed some robot dismemberment and a good old Spark: Rip 'n' Crush, that would've made him truly something to be feared - instead we got piss poor laser shots that didn't even leave scorch marks, mind you it was quite amusing to watch UM get placed into a casket and get shot into a body of water like he was literally being flushed and forgotten about. :p:D

My only gripe with Sixshot in Headmasters is that he keeps being referred to as a Ninja when he is probably one of the least covert characters of the show, that and I agree with Griffin in that his supposed 7th mode is just pointless. :rolleyes:

The clones I really liked as I didn't mind the 'speech in unison' effect they gave them as it gives a sense that they are, though I know they're not, sharing a spark - The Galvatron debacle is a bit of an oversight but, that Galvatron sure does work in mysterious ways. ;)

I too thought it was weird that the Autobots, after having gone to such lengths to unlock this Pyramids secrets, would just up and leave after a bit of a moral story... that was clearly eons old :rolleyes:
It is indeed unfortunate though that Daniel didn't use Wheelie as target practice with Highbrow's offering, this incarnation of Wheelie is far and beyond way more annoying than the US version, I know he is supposed to be young but damn! :mad:

The most disappointing part I've found with this series is the weird 'Quick, throw in a character!' but then 'Let's never use them again!' attitude. :mad:
The writer/s hold onto really friggin' annoying characters but give 2 seconds to others whilst the majority of the main cast are quite boring. :confused:

The Decepticons main cast I find myself liking a lot more as:
1. They get less air time so they don't get developed into dickheads and,
2. The voice-over cast does an awesome job with their characters. :cool:
The bloke who provides Zarak's voice nails it IMO as Zarak/Scorponok is my favourite character and with his booming Japanese voice, he makes Galvatron sound like a grunt. :D

I'll wait until Griffin posts further thoughts on later episodes, I finished the series on Saturday as I just went Headmasters Marathon Nuts! :p, before I make any further comments but for me this series is a 'watch once' kind of thing unfortunately as there are only a few standout episodes so I hope the subsequent series will be a bit more refined and enjoyable. :o

Oh, one thing I will say - Spoilers: Targetmasters are absolute jerks, like U.S. Military level jerks - I'd gladly take to them with an Energon Blade!!!

griffin
18th January 2011, 01:16 PM
Ep 25 - The Emperor of Destruction Vanishes on an Iceberg

Galvatron has returned to Earth to prepare his final plan for all the Energon he has captured - the creation of a giant powerful body that looks like a cross between him and Unicron. The Autobot Headmasters are alerted of his plan, and attack him while he is on Earth. The battle ends in the Arctic, and Galvatron disappears under the ice. While that is happening, Zarak has the Autobots distracted by destroying their outposts, so that his Headmasters can instigate their own secret plan.

Another wacky title, that also gives away the point of the episode.

It was good to finally see Scourge and Cyclonus again, but they didn't do much other than talk to each other in the Decepticon base.

When Twincast is shot and assumed dead (again), Steeljaw is shown to be crying.

So many (generic) Autobots are dying but no Decepticons seem to be killed. They should have at least had generic Decepticons included, so that it didn't look so one-sided as if the Decepticons are indestructible. If they were that powerful, the war wouldn't have lasted millions of years.

The Headmasters are fighting Galvatron in the desert, but suddenly they are in the Arctic.

Sooooo, somehow ice can stop Galvatron, when everything else failed (including an explosion that killed Optimus, and an explosion that destroyed Cybertron). And does this mean Galvatron is gone for good? I hope not. I don't like the character, but that would be a pretty lame way of permanently removing a character.

Punch has his cover blown in this episode.

The super-powerful, mystical combining of the Autobot Headmasters still hasn't been explained, but is able to generate massive amounts of power.

Ep 26 - I Risk My Life for Earth

Under the new leadership of Zarak (again), the Decepticons begin attacking areas of the Earth that are near Volcanoes. During an attack, Spike is critically injured and Chromedome feels responsible.

Counterpunch is back with the Decepticons, despite having his cover blown last episode.

Even the Decepticons think Galvatron was killed (by mere ice).

Zarak is the same size as his 3 Headmaster warriors, instead of being the same size as their heads.

Wheelie is really becoming very obnoxious. He stays out of the conflict because he can't fight, yet he's criticising the efforts of others, even when it isn't their fault. If you can't do any better yourself, don't complain. At the very least, offer advice.

Everyone seem to be invulnerable to volcanic lava, but Scorponok thinks its a good place to throw in Fortress Maximus in an attempt to kill him.

Highbrow has been working on finding Scorponok's weak-spot for 5 episodes, and for some reason, leaves a possible answer on a note in his lab just in case Chromedome decides to go in there... instead of telling others who are currently in the battle against Scorponok. It isn't the right answer, but might have been useful to test it out while they had the chance in battle.
And somehow, Chromedome is able to work it out in minutes, after Highbrow (the more intelligent one) couldn't work it out after many weeks/months. But instead of radioing the weak-spot to the Autobots straight away, he decides to fly to Earth (from Athenia) which could have meant the end of the Autobots in that time.

The weak spot is the middle of the chest... that's not a good place to have a weak spot, as it's out in the open and where most get shot at anyway. Can't be much of a weak-spot, as it didn't do any extra damage than the last time Fortress Maximus cut Scorponok up with his sword (a couple episodes back).

(I think the revelation that the weak-spot was in Scorponok's Decepticon Symbol in episode 21 was a mistake by the sub-titlers, as there have been a couple episodes that had subtitles in scenes when no one was talking. In this instance, the words were exactly the same, which ended up being a plot spoiler by the sub-titler)

Hedon! Hedomasuta... :p

GoktimusPrime
18th January 2011, 04:41 PM
I think they could've made Sixshot appear to be a powerful character if they'd maybe just employed some robot dismemberment and a good old Spark: Rip 'n' Crush, that would've made him truly something to be feared - instead we got piss poor laser shots that didn't even leave scorch marks, mind you it was quite amusing to watch UM get placed into a casket and get shot into a body of water like he was literally being flushed and forgotten about. :p:D

If you wanna see Ultra Magnus being ripped apart, go read the G1 Marvel Comic adaptation of Transformers: The Movie. In the actual movie Cyclonus, Scourge and the Sweeps combine fire to blow Ultra Magnus up, but in the comic adaptation, they attach energy cables to his limbs and fly in opposing directions -- literally draw and quartering him!

My only gripe with Sixshot in Headmasters is that he keeps being referred to as a Ninja when he is probably one of the least covert characters of the show, that and I agree with Griffin in that his supposed 7th mode is just pointless. :rolleyes:
Sixshot is ninja-like in terms of being a mercenary and assassin who uses unconventional means of warfare. He's a lot more of a ninja than Animated Prowl, Jazz or Yoketron ever were (who were really more like Samurai, what with their codes of honour blah blah blah -- ironically it's Lockdown, the "ex-Cyber-ninja" who's the most ninja-like what with his stealth and backstabbing etc., and of course, being a mercenary too ;)). I don't particularly like or dislike the Wingwolf mode. It's no more or less superfluous than most of his other modes at most times really. :p

It is indeed unfortunate though that Daniel didn't use Wheelie as target practice with Highbrow's offering, this incarnation of Wheelie is far and beyond way more annoying than the US version, I know he is supposed to be young but damn! :mad:
Really? US Wheelie is just as freakin' useless and stupid AND wastes a lot of screen time in Season 3. That's why a lot of Western fans have long hated Daniel and Wheelie, even without having seen the Japanese G1 series (and the reason why many fans cheered with joy when Daniel and Wheelie were finally horrifically killed (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/99/Departure-WheelieDaniel.jpg) ;)). Yeah his voice is annoying, but so is his English language voice too. In the Japanese version Wheelie's voiced by a woman pretending to be a boy, which is quite common in animation (look at the Simpsons - Bart, Milhouse, Nelson etc. are all played by women), whereas in the US version Wheelie is voiced by a man pretending to be a munchkin. :p They're both pretty horrid IMO.

US Wheelie is just as bad, wasting screen time just a tad;
He and Daniel we all hate, but all rejoiced at their final fate (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/9/99/Departure-WheelieDaniel.jpg);
Both high-pitched voices make me grit, they both equally sound just as (crap);
But one good thing with Wheelie Jap, he's not a try hard rhyming chap!

The most disappointing part I've found with this series is the weird 'Quick, throw in a character!' but then 'Let's never use them again!' attitude. :mad:
The writer/s hold onto really friggin' annoying characters but give 2 seconds to others whilst the majority of the main cast are quite boring. :confused:
What about The Rebirth?!? Here's Sixshot's ENTIRE dialogue in the US cartoon... ready?

"Five up, five down! It's like shooting cyber-ducks in a barrel!"

...that's it!

Ep 25 - The Emperor of Destruction Vanishes on an Iceberg

Another wacky title, that also gives away the point of the episode.
Heh... it's just as well Kaneda wasn't in charge of making titles for Star Wars...

Episode I: The Death of Qui-Gon Jinn
Episode II: Clones Are Stormtroopers
Episode III: Betrayal of the Clones
Episode IV: Destroy the Death Star!
Episode V: Darth Vader is Luke's Father
Episode VI: Anakin's Redemption Shortly Before His Death

:p

So many (generic) Autobots are dying but no Decepticons seem to be killed. They should have at least had generic Decepticons included, so that it didn't look so one-sided as if the Decepticons are indestructible. If they were that powerful, the war wouldn't have lasted millions of years.
It's just like WWII!! (as seen through the eyes of Saving Private Ryan (http://www.animateit.net/data/media/august2009/SavingPrivateRyan.gif) :p :D :p)

Sooooo, somehow ice can stop Galvatron, when everything else failed
Hey, the same thing pretty much happened in the G1 Marvel Comics. :p And ice froze Moofie Megatron for centuries. Man... why isn't Animated Jetstorm like the most powerful Autobot ever??

And does this mean Galvatron is gone for good? I hope not. I don't like the character, but that would be a pretty lame way of permanently removing a character.
Yeah, he's gone. IMO the lamest way of removing characters would have to be Terrorsaur and Scorponok accidentally falling into lava. :(

I also find Zarak's gigantic size laughable. I know they did it to make him Fortress' counterpart, and Zarak doesn't have an intermediate Headmaster robot to connect to (ie: Cerebros) and thus make him the same size as other Headmasters -- but for anyone who's even seen photos of the toy you can't help seeing it as being utterly strange. I preferred the way Zarak was portrayed in Anglophone continuity (especially in the Marvel Comics) where Zarak was able to command the Decepticons despite being human-sized.

griffin
23rd January 2011, 11:54 PM
Ep 27 - The Miracle Warriors - The Targetmasters, part one
Ep 28 - The Miracle Warriors - The Targetmasters, part two

The Autobots seem to think that the Decepticons have left Earth for go. They find and dispose of bombs placed around the Earth by the Decepticons, as more arrivals from Planet Master arrive, which pair up with the six new Autobots and Decepticons to form the Targetmasters. The Autobots go back to Planet Master to chase off Zarak and his Decepticons. They capture a friend of Chromedome, finds out the secret of the Master Sword, and turns him into a timebomb, that the Autobots have to kill to save Battleship Maximus.

The opening scene is interesting as it shows quite a few random Autobots in the shot including Jetfire/Skyfire and Ironhide.

Hardhead falls down a shaft, but needs saving as if he has forgotten that he can fly. And then 2 minutes later, he's flying out of a cavern.

Wheelie has other superiors (the Targetmasters), but not sure what that means.

The Autobot Targetmasters seem a bit arrogant, but quite sensible when it comes to pointing out the stupidity of the others when it comes to liabilities like Daniel and Wheelie.
Again, Daniel begs to go on a dangerous mission to a distant planet, and against better judgement, Fortress agrees.

Hardhead and Chromedome have weaponry, but vainly bang at a pile of rocks with their fists. And when they get out, they are suddenly in a snowy area.

The Autobots recklessly destroy an abandoned Decepticon base, instead of dismantling it and/or recycling the parts.

The refugees from Planet Master are not recognised by anyone else from Planet Master, which is possible. They speak a different language but understand everyone else.

When Chromedome's friend Jack is being repaired, Chromedome is standing in front of himself, as an animation error.

Autobots working out in a gym... this is bad comedy (as Galvatron would say).

For some reason the Targetmaster weapons are supposed to be friends, but don't seem to hesitate at firing on each other now that they are attached to Autobots and Decepticons.

Ep 29 - The Master Sword is in Danger

Still on Planet Master, Zarak starts collecting materials to build a shield that can repel the Master Sword, and only Planet Master has the material necessary to build it. Wheelie wants to become a Headmaster, but is captured by Zarak, and ransomed off for the secret of the Master Sword (which they already got from Jack in the previous episode).

Introduction of the Duocons. I loved these toys as a kid, and was sad to not see them in the Western Gen1 cartoon before it ended. At least we get to see them in action for a few episodes I guess.

G-metal is the name of the super strong metal. Not sure if that stands for anything, or a letter was just picked at random.

Pointblank seems to be the only one rational enough to point out that the Autobots are wanting to risk themselves and the Universe for the the biggest liability to the Autobots in the whole series. And Daniel should learn consequences, and that the Autobots aren't there just to keep getting him and Wheelie out of trouble all the time.
Wheelie wouldn't even be a casualty of war, as he's never battled the Decepticons, and keeps risking everyone else's lives and the mission with his antics.

Somehow Chromedome drives right into Scorponok, knocking out 2 guards, without setting off any alarms. Even Zarak has no idea he has an Autobot inside his Transtector.

Daniel walks through a laser barrier... which is supposed to fry a robot (and you'd think organic material as well).

Fortress has the information on a massive floppy disk. I know it's the storage medium of the time, but gee it looks funny seeing a floppy disk that's 4 times the size of Daniel.
And you'd think Fortress (or someone) would just shoot or destroy the disk when they realise Wheelie is safe, to prevent the Decepticons from getting it... but no, we have a big battle, with the disk being passed around like a football.

Pointblank apologises to Fortress for losing the information to the Decepticons, but it was the fault of Fortress for agreeing to trade it for (an insignificant) Wheelie, and then not destroying it when it was no longer needed.

Highbrow to Chromedome - 'Without you, Wheelie would be dead.' (is that supposed to make him feel better???) :p

griffin
25th January 2011, 04:01 AM
Ep 30 - The Zarak Shield Turns the Tide

As Zarak builds his new shield, the Autobots try to track their location to stop it, but fail to get there in time.

Zarak has Scorponok fly out to space, only to fly straight back again minutes later as if it is meant to be a diversion, but the Autobots know that the Decepticons have to be on Planet Master to get the metal they need.

Not sure if it was intended to be animated previously, but Scorponok already had a shield. I guess he's just building a stronger version.
Scorponok swallows his shield in scorpion mode, like a snake swallowing a rat. It just looked bizarre.

The Decepticons quickly think that the Autobot Targetmasters are dead by a flood of water, as if they could drown.

The Targetmasters radio Cerebros with a video call, but for some reason the Autobot Headmasters have to resort to attempting Telepathy and make it a big deal that they can do it.

An energy detector is built inside Maximus, and Highbrow also builds a hand-held device to locate the Decepticon base, but the Targetmasters found it anyway.

Daniel and Wheelie have to be rescued again, this time from Weirdwolf.

Ep 31 - Operation: Destroy the Decepticons

The Autobots think that the Decepticons are heading back to Earth soon, so attempt to destroy them before they leave Planet Master. With the new Zarak Shield, the Autobots are defeated, and many of the other inhabitants on the planet are killed. Scorponok leaves, sparing the defeated Fortess Maximus instead of destroying him while he has the chance.

Again the Targetmasters are stating the obvious, in that the Decepticons should be destroyed - something the Headmasters continually fail to achieve.

A pretty intense battle, but still ends up the same, with one side sparing the lives of the other.

We get to see a 'Kirk', but it doesn't look like the toy. Considering this was a JP-exclusive Cartoon, with other JP toys (Trainbots, Twincast, Soundblaster), I was surprised we didn't get to see the six JP Headmasters at all during the many episodes on Planet Master. The regular Headmasters swapped heads often enough, so why not have the other six step in for a bit to use the Transtectors.

And what happened to that single-episode plot device of Scorponok's weakspot?

Ep 32 - My Friend Sixshot!

On the way to Earth, Sixshot and Daniel are transported to a strange planet, and end up becoming friends. Zarak abandons Sixshot, feeling that he's a threat.

It's Transformers Vs Rock Lords... :p

The Decepticons go through the Asteroids because it is faster, while the Autobots go around because it is faster... huh?

Okay... they've saved the weirdest things for the end of the series. Yes, I'm talking about the tornadoes in space, that suck Daniel and Sixshot off to a strange planet. AND, the Autobots can use a freeze ray on the storm, turning it into ice.

And if you think that's bad, how weird is it for a ruthless Decepticon that has more kills than Galvatron, has feelings for the most annoying human ever. It should have been in character for him to either abandon the brat, or just squish him and walk off. Not save him from the Rock people, or ask him if he is okay.
If Sixshot was destined to become a nice guy, even if it was only decided a few episodes ago, there should have been some sort of character trait in previous episodes to reflect it. But right up to this episode, he's been completely cold and ruthless to everyone.
Besides, Daniel is just young and easy to impress, so a Decepticon doesn't have to change for that brat to try to be their friend. But I feel that the character of Sixshot is intentionally being converted to a good guy in these final few episodes, so that he could end up fulfilling an important role in the final climactic story.

Zarak rejects Sixshot because he sees him as a threat to his leadership, but he's always been loyal to the cause and to Zarak. If Zarak had actually seen how nice Sixshot was to Daniel, that'd be a more believable reason to abandon him.

Autocon
25th January 2011, 04:18 PM
how many eps left to go:confused:

Skullcruncher
25th January 2011, 04:36 PM
:confused: I only could bring myself to watch upto the first episode where the monster bots turned up - so im finding these reviews quite interesting to see what else actually happens........ But im not sure I can be convinced to go and watch the rest :p

griffin
26th January 2011, 01:09 AM
how many eps left to go:confused:

Just 3 episodes left to go, which I should hope to be posting up tonight.

Then it's Super God Masterforce!

griffin
26th January 2011, 02:22 AM
Ep 33 - Duel on the Asteroid

As the Decepticons are passing through the Asteroid belt on the way to Earth, the Autobots catch them and start battling. Sixshot shows up and demands a duel with Chromedome, allowing both sides to withdraw. Chromedome accepts, to get his revenge for all the friends Sixshot has killed, but is told that he will be banished from the Autobots if he does. The duel takes place on one of the Asteroids, but to make sure both combatants are destroyed, Zarak has a bomb planted on the Asteroid. It explodes, but both survive thanks to Daniel interfering. Chromedome is allowed back into the Autobot ranks. Sixshot heads off towards Earth, knowing for sure now that Zarak wants him dead.

At least someone did their homework by using actual Asteroid names... but in this instance, they could have called them anything and no one would have cared. Besides, would the Decepticons call Asteroids by names given by Humans or would they even bother to do research to find out?
Pity the writer didn't do their homework on the events in the Headmasters Cartoon, as the Narrator refer to Mars as if it wasn't destroyed earlier in the series.

Daniel gets into trouble again, and the Autobots have to abandon their duty (again) to go rescue him. If they hadn't brought him along, the Decepticons probably would have been destroyed ages ago.

Daniel's Exo/Excel suit transforms the same as in the 1986 Movie, but flies this time instead of driving. But then when he falls into a crevice, he doesn't fly out to save himself.

Daniel to Sixshot - 'Shoot me if you have to shoot'. If only I could reach into the TV and pull the trigger for him... then it'd be problem solved. :p

Ep 34 - The Final Showdown on Earth, part one
Ep 35 - The Final Showdown on Earth, part two

The Decepticons erect several 'Death Towers' around the Earth that draw energy from the planet, and send it to a satellite they placed in orbit. To prevent the Earth from being totally drained, the Autobots have to destroy the indestructible towers by combining their powers in the same way the Headmasters combine their powers, and channelling it through the Master Sword. The battle ends with Scorponok being sliced in two (and blowing up) by Fortess Maximus, and the Decepticons just suddenly leave Earth. The Autobots leave as well to restore peace to the Universe. After all their time on Earth, all Transformers have now suddenly decided to vacate the planet as if it is worthless to both sides.

The Decepticons sink a cruise ship called 'Queen World', but later it is being used to transport injured people.

Metroplex reports that the Decepticons on Earth are remnants left behind by Zarak while he went to Planet Master... but, the Duocons on Earth were in the previous Episode on board Scorponok in the Asteroid Belt.

Oooooo, apparently everyone in Canberra speaks Japanese. Actually, it's pretty nifty to see Australia featured in Gen1 somewhere, even if it is in the JP series.

Aaaand once again, Daniel begs to go on a mission, and again they let him go, against better judgement.
Daniel has to help rescue his unconscious mother from the ravine, but the gap looked to be big enough for the Headmasters' heads to fly down and fly her up.

Punch talks in a plural tense, referring to himself as 'we' instead of 'I'.

Sixshot appears to have killed the Decepticon Clones, as their heads are hanging off their necks, but they appear later unharmed.

Gliss is the substance the towers are made from. Apparently it comes from the remnants of an ancient civilisation, and doesn't sound like anything real.

Soundblaster is in the Alps (think Switzerland and Austria), and he sees Maximus flying through the mountains and somehow assumes that they are heading for Egypt.

Well, that's the end of the first of the three extra Japanese Generation One cartoons, and as much as I'm glad I've now watched it, I'm a little disappointed in the way it played out and ended (so many loose ends). It's like there was no bible or series outline, as the stories and mini-arcs seemed to go in all sorts of directions without much sense. The middle arc with the Decepticons out in space plundering planets would have made more sense if it was the arc of the entire series. But just as it started getting into it, the story suddenly changed direction and they were back on Earth for a few episodes... then Planet Master for a few episodes... then Earth again... And what about the changes in leaders on both sides, with some departures not making much sense or becoming loose ends that were never tied up before the end. Rodimus and Galvatron are still out there, somewhere, and so are the rest of the Decepticons, as they were chased from Earth, not destroyed. If there is any continuity, maybe they will return in Masterforce (but I doubt it, judging by the way the next series is written up).
Headmasters used characters from earlier seasons of Generation One (the 'Western' seasons), as if it were just Season 4, so it would be odd not to see any carried over to the next series/season (Masterforce).

Well, the adventure continues...
Next up, Super-God Masterforce!

GoktimusPrime
26th January 2011, 10:30 AM
Universal Translator. :p Cos in the US series almost everyone speaks English (if not then gibberish) anyway... including aliens (including Transformers who've not had contact with Earth). Considering the large number of international diplomats living in Canberra, it's plausible that they may have simply attacked an Australian-Japanese function. It's more plausible than seeing English being spoken on Monacus (even if we were to assume it's an alien language that we simply hear as English, Bosch's gambling machine still has English text on it! Holy Tractor Beam Power (http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/c/c8/Tractorbeamtext.jpg), Batman!)

[quote=griffin]Actually, it's pretty nifty to see Australia featured in Gen1 somewhere, even if it is in the JP series.
+1 :)

griffin
2nd February 2011, 01:37 AM
Super God Masterforce

This is the next series released in Japan covering Generation One characters/toys. But chronologically, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Even though it is supposed to follow on from Headmasters (which was supposed to be a future setting), it appears to be set on a present day, pre-movie Earth. And the Pretenders have been on Earth for thousands of years, according to the first episode, but have never been involved in previous series (obviously, if the toys hadn't been made yet). And (Metal)Hawk says that Cybertron still exists, which would place it before Headmasters.
A quick check of tfwiki.net, suggests that it is easier to understand if you see Masterforce as a stand-alone series, in its own continuity.

I'm looking forward to seeing in action, all the other Gen1 toys/characters that didn't get a chance to feature in Western animation, like the Pretenders, Powermasters, Seacons and second year Headmasters. I don't think the second year Targetmasters are included though.

Ep 1 - Rise Up, Pretenders

Three Decepticon Pretenders appear after thousands of years imprisoned around the globe, forcing the four Autobot Pretenders to reveal themselves to combat them. Using Seacon drones, the Decepticon trio start terrorising humans. Shuta is a human child friend of (Metal)Hawk, who gets caught up in the attack.

The Pretenders in this series are human sized when in their shells, but magically appear as full-sized robots through a dazzling light display or a shimmering shadow. They don't even grow or shrink like Gen1 characters (like Soundwave), they just suddenly appear and the human-sized shell disappears. At least the US comic had the shells the same size, and still existed when the robots were out and about.

All the Pretenders that were released by Hasbro have different names in Japan, so take a bit to get used to them. Metalhawk though is a Japanese exclusive character/toy, but for some reason is just called Hawk in the cartoon.

The squealing of the Tentakil drones is really annoying.

Quite a lot of human carnage in this show. The Japanese kids mustn't get as traumatised as the western kiddies do when seeing death and destruction in cartoons.

Commercial break 'bumpers' are included, showing characters transforming, like we saw with some of the US Gen1 cartoon.
They even include a short clip of the next episode at the end.

The intro credits song sounds like a love song, it's so soft and mellow. It doesn't feel like something an action, warring robots series would have as a theme song. Even the closing credits song is a bit too soft as well.

Ep 2 - The Decepticons' Fearsome Manhunt!

The Decepticon Pretenders steal corpses to turn into zombies to use as weapons against humans and Autobots. The plan fails, so they decide to capture live humans next. They pick an obscure Pacific Island, but coincidently the Autobot Diver is on a boat nearby and reports it to Hawk. Shuta manages to convince Hawk to take him to the dangerous location, and promptly has to save him soon after they arrive. They meet with another child, Cab, who joins them after the Decepticons are chased off and the captured Humans are freed. During this raid on the Pacific Island, Dauros (Skullgrin) attacks and destroys the Observatory the Autobots were using as a base, killing Shuta's father.

It seems that the Seacon drones stay in groups of their own type, as this episode had Lobclaw (Nautilator) drones and Overbite drones.

The Decepticon base looks really organic and weird. Nothing like previous Decepticon or Cybertronian bases.

Shuta is another annoying child able to convince Autobots to behave irrationally.

And Cab has the mystical ability of talking to animals.

The Autobots new base at the end of the episode... it is implied that it is new, so must have been built really fast.

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2011, 02:48 PM
And (Metal)Hawk says that Cybertron still exists, which would place it before Headmasters.
Chromedome makes a cameo appearance which clearly places it after The Headmasters. Perhaps the Pretenders were unaware of Cybertron's destruction since they were secluded from the other Autobots. Or maybe Rodimus Prime, Kup and Blurr founded a new Cybertron and he was referring to that planet. Or maybe Kaneda Masumi forgot that he destroyed Cybertron in the last series. :p

I don't think the second year Targetmasters are included though.
No, you won't see the 1988 Targetmasters as they were never released in Japan. You also won't see Triggerbots, Triggercons, Pretender Beasts, Pretender Vehicles -- basically this series only showcases toys that were released in Japan and excludes any toys that were Hasbro exclusives. You can look forward to seeing Browning though! :D

All the Pretenders that were released by Hasbro have different names in Japan, so take a bit to get used to them. Metalhawk though is a Japanese exclusive character/toy, but for some reason is just called Hawk in the cartoon.
He's usually called Hawk when he's in his Pretender shell and Metalhawk is what the inner robot is usually referred to... iirc.

Quite a lot of human carnage in this show. The Japanese kids mustn't get as traumatised as the western kiddies do when seeing death and destruction in cartoons.
Nope. A lot of death and destruction in Japanese cartoons are either deleted or edited when they're brought over to the West. e.g.
+ In the original Gatchaman, there were similar scenes of destruction that were cut down and sanitised for Battle of the Planets
+ In Hundred Beast King O-Lion the original pilot for the Blue Lion died and was replaced. In Lion Force Voltron... I think he just went missing or was presumed dead, but in later episodes (which were exclusively produced for Voltron and were never in the original Japanese series) he came back, showing that he wasn't dead.
+ In Dinosaur Battle Squad Zyuranger, the original Green Ranger dies, but when it was adapted to Power Rangers, the Green Ranger became the White Ranger.

...a lot of anime that's aired during prime time TV hours are rated M in Australia.

The intro credits song sounds like a love song, it's so soft and mellow. It doesn't feel like something an action, warring robots series would have as a theme song. Even the closing credits song is a bit too soft as well.
I love the opening theme. :) Feels like it focuses more on characters rather than just "pew pew pew" action and thus feels more mature to me.

The Decepticon Pretenders steal corpses to turn into zombies to use as weapons against humans and Autobots.
Very generic looking corpses too. ;) At least the zombies looked more individual in Shaun of the Dead. :p

It seems that the Seacon drones stay in groups of their own type, as this episode had Lobclaw (Nautilator) drones and Overbite drones.
Caste society. :p :p :p

The Decepticon base looks really organic and weird. Nothing like previous Decepticon or Cybertronian bases.
So not purple! And the Autobot's base isn't all orange!! *gasp*

griffin
4th February 2011, 01:57 AM
Ep 3 - Kidnapping! The Targetted Jumbo Jet

The Decepticons attempt to capture more live humans for their zombie scheme, including a scientist for their experiments. The Autobots and the boys rescue the humans and befriend Minerva, a girl who then joins their quest to defeat the Decepticons.

The zombies are called Destroids.

One of the Autobot Pretenders (Phoenix/Cloudburst) has hair like Wolverine, which is very distracting.

Another kid is allowed to join the war... The Autobots must be desperate, or reckless to use children, or allow them to be in harms way.

The Seacon drones in this episode are Kraken (Seawing).

Ep 4 - Birth of the Headmaster Jrs!

The Autobot Pretenders give the three kids, Transtectors (robot bodies) and bracelets to activate their 'Master Force' to become Headmasters. Coincidentally at that exact time, the Decepticons have also given (stolen) Transtectors to 3 people (Cancer, Wilder, Bullhorn), who have joined their cause. On their first outing, the Autobot Headmasters manage to fight off the Decepticon Headmasters.

Shuta is called Go Shooter when combined with his Transtector.

Chromedome makes a cameo appearance, and some Headmasters cartoon scenes are shown, in an attempt to link Masterforce with Headmasters. Chromedome's message says that they are constantly fighting Decepticons around the universe, as a reason why they don't return to Earth to help the Autobots there.

Shuta is trying to rescue a baby, but gets in trouble from Hawk for being targetted by the Decepticon Headmasters who are trying to stop him. He's then sorry and forgiven for it, despite it not being his fault.

snaketales
4th February 2011, 11:47 AM
My kids and I have just started watching Victory.
We watched all of Headmasters, while I watched all of Masterforce but the kids only watched the eps with English audio (subtitles are a bit hard for the littlies)

griffin
5th February 2011, 04:55 AM
Ep 5 - Rage!! Little Devils with No Need for Rules!

The Autobot Headmasters are in training to master their new forms, while the Decepticon Headmasters use their new abilities to get revenge on a rival biker gang, and try to recruit them to their ranks. Minerva has confidence problems, but when they have to take on the Decepticon Headmasters, she is able to find her courage from her duty rescuing a child. While Shuta learns about the importance of teamwork.

An episode that focuses heavily on the three kids.

Oh dear, now the animals are talking... :(

The kids look to be about 10, and yet they seem to be quite good at driving cars like normal vehicles (steering, gears, pedals).

And today's Seacons... Lobclaw (Nautilator) and Seawing.

As bad as the Decepticon Headmaster toys are, the cartoon makes them look really good. Good enough to want to buy.

Bartrim
5th February 2011, 08:03 AM
The kids look to be about 10, and yet they seem to be quite good at driving cars like normal vehicles (steering, gears, pedals).

That confused me as well.

griffin
5th February 2011, 02:43 PM
Considering Cab came from a tribal Pacific Island, and has probably never seen a car/truck before, he's able to drive a fire truck like a pro (which would even be tough to do for those of us who drive a car).

Paulbot
5th February 2011, 04:48 PM
They are driving their Transtectors right? Not other vehicles? The Transtectors are extensions of their bodies so it makes sense they can control them as well in vehicle mode as they can in robot mode.

PS I like the Masterforce songs :)

Tallestblue
5th February 2011, 05:35 PM
I enjoyed Masterforce a lot more than I enjoyed Headmasters, at least Minerva does get involved in the action now and again and there are some really great robot designs in it too. (shame the toys leave a lot to be desired, compare Anime GodBomber Convoy to the toy. Brick City. )

griffin
5th February 2011, 06:03 PM
They are driving their Transtectors right? Not other vehicles? The Transtectors are extensions of their bodies so it makes sense they can control them as well in vehicle mode as they can in robot mode.

PS I like the Masterforce songs :)

That'd be true if they were just sitting inside, and just driving by thought. But these kids are actually steering, using pedals and even changing gears. Even if the Transtectors are just an extension of themselves, if they are using those driving tools (pedals, steering, etc) like a normal driver, they would have had to learn how to use them, in order to look like they are driving like normal drivers.

I know it makes it look more dramatic and exciting, for kids watching and pretending that they could drive a real Transformer, but getting to look like a real driver takes a lot of practice, especially if they are like 10 years old.

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2011, 06:29 PM
They're Newtypes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtype) ;)

griffin
7th February 2011, 01:29 AM
Ep 6 - Go, GoShooter! Showdown in the Wasteland

The Decepticon Headmasters kidnap someone, and the Autobot Headmasters rescue him.

This episode was confusing from the start... trying to explain 3 weird types of energy, that relate to the existence of Humans and the Earth.

The interesting thing about this series, at least at this point, is the way the Decepticons are trying to recruit followers in the Humans, rather than wanting to destroy them or seeing them as mere insects. Megatron would be disgusted. :p
It's also a reversal of the way Humans are usually followers of Autobots, if we ever saw any instance of followers.

Again, so much time is spent on just the humans. And when the 'robots' show up, it's just the Human controlled Headmasters.

Paulbot
7th February 2011, 07:13 AM
Again, so much time is spent on just the humans. And when the 'robots' show up, it's just the Human controlled Headmasters.
Get used to this or you'll complain about it for the rest of the series. :) Masterforce is about the humans in the long run, but I didn't find that to be a bad thing because it's about humans who actually are Transformers.

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2011, 09:57 AM
Regarding the 3 types of energy, it's what's known as Tenchijin (天地人 (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%A4%A9%E5%9C%B0%E4%BA%BA)*) or Chokon (super spirit) power and is based on traditional Japanese spirituality. Keep in mind that this series was intended for a Japanese audience who would be more culturally aware of this.

Masterforce is about the humans in the long run, but I didn't find that to be a bad thing because it's about humans who actually are Transformers.
+1. And it's not that much different from the way binary bonding was portrayed in Anglophone G1; granted the "Transtectors" did retain their original personalities, but we did see some humans/Nebulans becoming the dominant personality, e.g. Spike, Zarak. Even Optimus Prime's persona was eventually merged with Hi-Q's.

----------
*can't find any comprehensive online info about Tenchijin in English, but here's (http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/772205) a brief/basic description

griffin
7th February 2011, 02:40 PM
That quote was posted by Paulbot.

And I'm watching a Transformers cartoon because I want to see *robots* in disguise, not humans... I guess I just gotta get used to it and hope that the next series is more robot-oriented.

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2011, 09:20 PM
And I'm watching a Transformers cartoon because I want to see *robots* in disguise, not humans... I guess I just gotta get used to it and hope that the next series is more robot-oriented.

Yeah but I still don't see how it's fundamentally different from what we had in Anglophone G1 where all the Targetmaster, Headmaster and Powermaster partners were human/Nebulan. Masterforce was aired in 1988 where binary bonding was still a big gimmick that HasTak were pushing.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/binarybonding.jpg "More much more than meets the eye!"

But if it makes you feel any better there's no binary bonding with fleshlings in Victory. All the binary-bonded partners there are robots

griffin
8th February 2011, 03:32 AM
At least the US comic had the sense of making them just one part of the cast and story, not the majority like in Masterforce. And even then, the nebulons were not often on their own, so weren't the central plot or point of the comic... not to mention, they were just an add-on to the Transformer, not the actual 'Transformer'.

kup
8th February 2011, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed Masterforce a lot more than I enjoyed Headmasters, at least Minerva does get involved in the action now and again and there are some really great robot designs in it too. (shame the toys leave a lot to be desired, compare Anime GodBomber Convoy to the toy. Brick City. )

What? She isn't serving tea for the boys?! What a disgrace! :mad: :p

griffin
8th February 2011, 02:36 PM
She does play out the 'scared little girl' stereotype to begin with, but she does indeed get into the thick of the action and even takes on the enemy... unlike Arcee in Headmasters, which I don't think fought anyone or fired a shot throughout the whole series.

Hursticon
8th February 2011, 02:39 PM
She does play out the 'scared little girl' stereotype to begin with, but she does indeed get into the thick of the action and even takes on the enemy... unlike Arcee in Headmasters, which I don't think fought anyone or fired a shot throughout the whole series.

Nope, she certainly didn't - Glad to hear that this trend hasn't continued into Masterforce though because women/females are just as capable, if not more so, of inflicting damage. ;):cool:

GoktimusPrime
8th February 2011, 09:44 PM
At least the US comic had the sense of making them just one part of the cast and story, not the majority like in Masterforce. And even then, the nebulons were not often on their own, so weren't the central plot or point of the comic... not to mention, they were just an add-on to the Transformer, not the actual 'Transformer'.
Well it depends... Fortress Maximus and Scorponok seemed to be quite like Transtectors in the US G1 cartoon - both operated by Spike and Zarak respectively but without any apparent independent will/sentience from Fort Max or Scorpie. Even Cerebros seemed to lose apparent will/sentience when Spike became his head. In the G1 comics Cerebros was pretty much a mindless drone, built by Galen to allow him (and later Spike) to bond with Fort Max's larger Mk II body. As G1 progressed, it seemed (at least to me) that that independent wills of some of the Headmasters became more docile, allowing the wills of their bonded partners to become dominant. For instance, after arriving on Earth Zarak became increasingly dominant as the mind of Scorponok -- in fact, when faced with his imminent doom Scorponok's courage faltered because Zarak realised that as a man of flesh and blood, if he died in this battle it would be terminal for him... then he kinda spoke about "What would Scorponok do?", and then inspired by this took courage. But there was no apparent input from Scorponok himself, unlike say with the relationship between Fort Max and Spike. It could be argued that Zarak and Scorponok's minds merged into one. The minds of Optimus Prime and Hi-Q also merged; hence Action Master Optimus Prime's (and presumably G2 Optimus Prime's) mind is actually an amalgam of Optimus Prime and Hi-Q. In "Guess Who The Mecannibals Are Having For Dinner?" and "Recipe For Disaster!", the Decepticon Powermasters Darkwing and Dreadwind were basically portrayed as vehicles for Hi-Test and Throttle, with Sky Lynx discovering their secret and saying something like Hi-Test and Throttle being the Decepticons Darkwing and Dreadwind. There was no interaction between those Decepticons and their Nebulan partners as if they had separate sentience -- if you looked at those stories independent of the rest of G1, and you didn't know any better, you might think that Dreadwing was pretty much a piloted mecha like a Transtector.

Also keep in mind that the Transtectors are actually sentient Transformers in their own right, it's just that their sentience is dormant throughout most of the series until the end when they awaken and become independent of their human/Godmaster counterparts -- hence when you see God Ginrai and Minerva in Transformers Victory, they are _only_ Cybertronian robots and NOT binary bonded to their former human partners (thus when God Ginrai is slain and later rebuilt as Victory Leo, it's the robot who's rebuilt -- the human named Ginrai remained on Earth and was never involved in the events of Victory)

Yeah, I quite like the Minerva character. :)

Nope, she certainly didn't - Glad to hear that this trend hasn't continued into Masterforce though because women/females are just as capable, if not more so, of inflicting damage. ;):cool:
Hell hath no fury... ;)

griffin
13th February 2011, 10:15 PM
Ep 7 - Panic! Protect the Wild Animals!

Animals in Africa are being herded into stampedes by the Decepticons, who believe that the humans will kill every single animal to stop it, which would cause an imbalance in nature and the foodchain. The plan backfires when the Autobots get involved, with the help of a park ranger.

The more I watch this series, the less it feels like Transformers. Robot content is like a cameo to the story.
In one scene the Decepticons appear in robot mode, only to just disappear without even doing anything.

Just like a previous episode about interfering with 'human energy', this one requires humans to kill every animal to destroy themselves. That may be true, but a stampede concept isn't going to lead to total annihilation of all animals.
But I feel that the plot wasn't the important element of this episode - it was more a character building episode with the Autobot Headmasters.

How weird was it to have the Autobots hiring a transport plane to carry the 3 humans and their Transtectors. I would have thought it would be easier (and cheaper) to just have the 3 kids fly to Africa with the Pretenders. (I'm pretty sure Autobots fly in this series, like they did in Headmasters)

The Decepticon Pretenders have such contempt for their human allies, but I guess the power of the Transtectors keeps them loyal.

GoktimusPrime
14th February 2011, 11:51 PM
The Decepticon Pretenders have such contempt for their human allies, but I guess the power of the Transtectors keeps them loyal.

For now.

***Massive Spoilers***

The Decepticon's ultimate objective is to herald in humanity's ultimate form of evolution -- the Godmaster. When this evolution is complete, the Godmasters lose their organic aspects and become completely mechanical beings. Much like the inhabitants of Gorlam Prime (although the onset is triggered by Devil Z's power rather than an incubation/chrysalis stage). Hydra and Buster volunteer to undergo this change and thus they become entirely mechanical beings -- they look just like their Godmaster armour suits, only that the suits are now their body (i.e. there's no longer flesh and blood on the inside, just circuitry etc.).

Cancer is the first of the Decepticon humans to become morally conflicted when he forms a rapport with Minerva. Eventually the Decepticon Headmaster Juniors do leave the Decepticons - but then they lose their Transtectors which become self-sentient Transformers themselves (and thus no longer need their former human partners anymore). Giga and Mega helped Ginrai to fight against Devil Z, as they felt honour-bound and owed him a life-debt. For their treachery Devil Z forcibly separated them from Overlord, granting Overlord sentience and killing Giga and Mega in the process.

Skullcruncher
15th February 2011, 09:46 AM
For now.

***Massive Spoilers***

Goodness this is a lot deeper than the G1 Cartoon.

Enjoying the reviews - and the spoilers! :D

griffin
15th February 2011, 02:16 PM
Ep 8 - The Super Warriors: The Godmaster Brothers

Introduction of the Powermasters, called Godmasters in Japan. The Decepticon Pretenders and Headmasters are summoned to a secret island base, that has been perfecting the 'Godmaster' process. Now that it is completed, the Pretenders are called in to be shown what real power is, by destroying Human fighter jets and kids hang-gliding. Fortunately/coincidentally, the Autobot Headmasters were in the Hang-gliding competition with their Transtectors close by.

I was really looking forward to this episode, to see how the Powermaster process is explained in the Cartoon universe. (I only know the Comic Universe explanation). We get a vague/confusing explanation of the process, and of Buster and Hydra, but I didn't pick up that they were supposed to be no longer organic. And we get to see their combination gimmick - Darkwings... just not sure if they mentioned their individual names though.

Was pretty disappointed that in a 20 minute *Transformers* cartoon, it took about 15 minutes before we even get to see a robot. Can't the Pretenders walk around without their shells a bit more often? It's not like they need to hide now that the whole world knows about them. Robotech was more interesting, with their similarly 'robot' cameos.

In all the pictures I'd seen and in the cartoon intro, I thought Buster (the pink haired one) was female, and never realised it was a guy until reading the title and synopsis of this episode. The face and body just looked so feminine, 'he' even walks graceful like a female, and I knew there was a few females throughout this series. Maybe it was intended to be a female at first, but changed later.

Mega and Giga are a strange pair (of humans?), who just appear, but seem to invoke fear and loyalty in the real Decepticons (the Pretenders). They are the creators of the Powermaster process, and act like a king and queen. (those who collect JP Gen1 toys will recognise their names, and the toy they belong to, but I won't spoil it until it is introduced).

When the focus shifts to the new Godmaster gimmick, the Autobot Headmasters and Pretenders are able to easily overpower their opponents within seconds, instead of padding out an episode with several minutes of conflict when they were the focus.

GoktimusPrime
15th February 2011, 04:27 PM
As far as Masterforce is concerned, the human characters ARE Transformers. You may personally only count robots as Transformers, but that's not what the premise of this series is. To continue denying this would be like watching Beast Wars and insisting that they're not Transformers because they don't transform into vehicles. For the purposes of the Masterforce story, they have encompassed binary-bonded humans as being Transformers too.

We get a vague/confusing explanation of the process, and of Buster and Hydra, but I didn't pick up that they were supposed to be no longer organic.
They're still fully organic at this stage. It's until toward the end of the series that they become robots (hence why I put the warning "MASSIVE Spoilers" ;)).

Can't the Pretenders walk around without their shells a bit more often?
They need to cover their shame. ;)

In all the pictures I'd seen and in the cartoon intro, I thought Buster (the pink haired one) was female, and never realised it was a guy until reading the title and synopsis of this episode. The face and body just looked so feminine, 'he' even walks graceful like a female, and I knew there was a few females throughout this series. Maybe it was intended to be a female at first, but changed later.
Nah, it's called Bishounen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bish%C5%8Dnen). Fan-girls love it. Don't worry, there's no yaoi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi) in Masterforce. Heh. I thought Buster was a girl too when I first saw her. Him. :p

griffin
15th February 2011, 10:34 PM
As far as Masterforce is concerned, the human characters ARE Transformers. You may personally only count robots as Transformers, but that's not what the premise of this series is. To continue denying this would be like watching Beast Wars and insisting that they're not Transformers because they don't transform into vehicles. For the purposes of the Masterforce story, they have encompassed binary-bonded humans as being Transformers too.

Transformers are, and have always been, 'borne of Cybertron' as Autobots and Decepticons (and Maximals & Predacons in BW), as in given life through Cybertronian means, not through Human or alien bonding. Humans using robot bodies may have joined the Autobot & Decepticon causes, but they weren't born as Autobots & Decepticons. Same with the Godmasters - they don't appear to be of the Transformers Race, as they seem to be some other type of lifeform/race that is effectively gatecrashing the Autobot/Decepticon war.
So far the only pure (Cybertronian) Transformers in this series are the Pretenders and Seacons. And we don't get to see much of either now.

Ep 9 - A Fierce Battle!! The Autobots Are in Trouble

Under the new leadership of Giga and Mega, the Decepticons start to renew their conquest of earth by attacking an energy facility. The Decepticon Pretenders resent being forced to make way for the new recruits. Despite being outmatched, the Autobots still manage to fight off the Decepticons.

Seems that the Godmasters have a lot of special powers, and should be able to easily defeat the Autobots, but still don't manage it.
And one of those special powers appears to be regeneration when they get damaged.

It doesn't surprise me to have the Decepticon Pretenders, the real Decepticons, not liking being treated as inferior to all these people and humans now joining the Decepticons. After all, those three are real sentient robots from the race of Decepticons... all the rest are merely Decepticon wannabees.

Ep 10 - A Hero Is Chosen - His Name Is Ginrai

Buster and Hydra are sent out by Giga and Mega to search for other Godmasters, but Diver finds one first. Or at least, finds a human who has already bonded with one, but doesn't know it until he touches his two bracelets together.

So after a couple episodes with Godmasters, we're kinda told what they really are. It seems that Giga and Mega are some sort of strange lifeform, and their offspring have disappeared around the Earth. And they have the ability to inhabit vehicles (or become them), waiting for a compatible human to then bond with, through special bracelets. Which coincidentally are similar to the Headmaster Bracelets that the off-world Autobots created. Plus, for some reason the offspring don't know who or what they are, so will align themselves to Autobots if they end up bonding with someone who is against the Decepticons.
What this means, the Godmaster Transtectors are actually alive, and the purpose of the human partner is only to combine the 3 energies that the Decepticons mentioned earlier in the series.

The regenerating of the truck bumper wasn't shown, and the damage was even significant enough to be something others would have noticed regenerating. So I don't see how the Decepticons would have heard about a 'rumour of a regenerating truck' within hours of it happening.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to explain why a Decepticon offspring looks so much like Convoy (Optimus Prime). The explanation given so far doesn't say why it would choose that particular truck and robot form.

griffin
16th February 2011, 02:43 PM
Ep 11 - Ginrai: God On of Rage!!

The Autobots are trying to convince Ginrai to join with them permanently, while the Decepticons try to destroy him and his Transtector for siding with the enemy.

Ginrai doesn't know the activation word for the bracelets, but some how activated them in the last episode just by touching them together.

Hydra is destroying red trucks with a giant truck of his own, instead of just destroying them with his Jet like Buster does.

Giga is off playing golf, and destroys a passing plane with a special golfball. Actually, we see a lot of human death in this episode to traumatise the kiddies.

Ep 12 - A Strange Friendship: Cancer and Minerva

Suddenly finding another 3 sets of Godmaster bracelets in his truck, Ginrai is called to Japan to negotiate directly with Hawk to join the Autobots. On the way, they cross paths with the Decepticon Headmasters and capture Cancer (the youngest one who uses 'Squeezeplay'). Ginrai and Hawk interrogate Cancer to find out more about the Godmasters, while Minerva tries to attend to his injuries.

Either the translations of the subtitles aren't accurate, or we have a new version of the Godmaster concept from a couple episodes ago. This time there are 7 individual lifeforms (not 2 parents and offspring), who have entered Transtectors and are 'finding' humans to bond with. Mega and Giga are apparently not humans (because they refer to Humans as if they weren't), so the Godmaster entities aren't just bonding with Humans.

They also mention that there are only 7 Godmaster entities, but that doesn't add up as we have Mega and Giga claiming one between them (which we haven't seen revealed yet), Buster and Hydra have one each (their 2 Jets), Ginrai has one (the truck), plus 3 more Autobot Godmasters (3 cars), and the Spy Clouder (Doubledealer). That should make 8, but there might be an explanation later as to why it is only considered 7.

Minerva nursing Cancer has him seeing her differently now - not just as an enemy out of principle.

And Mega hugging Cancer when he returned, like she is a loving Mother. Actually, Giga and Mega tried to act like the caring parents of their Godmaster children a few episodes back (when they were telling the first version of the story), which is not very Decepticon like at all. Decepticon philosophy has always been that everything is an asset to be used and discarded without attachment when no longer needed.

We also get a very brief cameo of a single 'pure bred' Decepticon with Blood (Bombburst) on screen for a few seconds... Everyone else in this episode were humans and the human-operated robots.

griffin
23rd February 2011, 02:04 AM
Held off posting up these four episodes individually, because a number of questions in episode 13 are kinda answered in episode 17.

Ep 13 - Friend or Foe!? The True Form of the Monster!!

The Decepticon Headmasters are out looking for Ginrai and the Autobot base. Ginrai is still being courted by the Autobots to join their team permanently, when his Transtector kidnaps him and starts driving him towards a mysterious object found in tunnel a construction site. The mysterious object turns into a trailer for Ginrai.

Without any explanation, a strange rock/crystal object turns into a trailer that's just right for Ginrai, and as seen in two episodes time, is designed to merge with his Transtector. Plus it already has an Autobot symbol on it, which means it isn't a Godmaster, as they are supposed to be 'born' as Decepticons. Hopefully it is explained later, and in a way that makes sense. It makes me think of a cocoon.
Okay... in episode 17 we are shown that the Godmasters have become these black lumps of rock, buried in the Earth, and when activated, they can form a human vehicle. Since we are only supposed to have 7 Godmasters, and with the Overlord toy being 2 vehicles that merge, I'm thinking that Ginrai's Truck Transtector was only half of the Godmaster entity/rock, and now that the Trailer half has just been uncovered, it is able to merge back with it's other half (the Truck).
But it is sporting an Autobot symbol... for something that is supposed to be Decepticon by default.
Very confusing.

Minerva, being a girl in a Japanese cartoon, is all apologetic to Ginrai, despite him being the one who was doing something wrong (torturing Cancer).

Humanising the Decepticons (the Headmasters) at the beginning makes them seem less evil, which kinda defeats the purpose of 'evil Decepticons' intent on chaos and destructive mayhem.

It must have been a slow news day in Japan to have the mysterious object being mentioned, and just at the right time for the Decepticon Headmasters to see it...

(I keep thinking of Lion Voltron whenever the Decepticon Headmasters hop into their Beast Transtectors and run off)

Ep 14 - Eliminate the Godmaster Ginrai

Another episode about the Decepticons targeting Ginrai's Transtector/Godmaster for his 'betrayal' to his Decepticon heritage. The Autobots try to understand the meaning of the new trailer, while Ginrai tries to find the other 3 Humans and Transtectors for his extra bracelets. His method of showing off his Transtector on TV attracts Decepticons instead. The Decepticons decide to attack him in a crowded city, to cause resentment of both sides by the Humans.

The Decepticon Emperor speaks for the first time, as the glowing alien object in the Decepticon base, but is not named until Episode 17.
A third explanation is given as to the existence of the Godmasters. This time, the 'Decepticon Emperor' claims that all the Godmasters are HIS children, not Giga and Mega's. And that they had Decepticon Souls before they became Transtectors/vehicles, as opposed to the earlier claim by Mega that the Godmasters were 'a completely different lifeform'.
Very confusing, to contradict itself so much in just the early episodes. That, and the lack of actual robots in a *Transformers* cartoon, makes this one of my least favourite series.

It's been while since we last saw Seacons... with Lobclaw (Nautilator) clones showing up.
And as an epilogue, Turtler (Snaptrap) is introduced (called up by Giga), who merges with one of each Seacon clone to form King Poseidon (Piranacon).

Gilmer (Submarauder) expresses misery at being forced to follow the command of Humans... and I agree. Megatron would never follow a Human, so why should any other (real) Decepticon?

Not a huge fan of the magical powers these Godmasters use all the time. They are indestructible, and are able to channel great power through themselves to fire at others. The Headmasters series had a bit of a medieval theme with the swords and ninja skills, while this series has a more magical/mystical theme... both of which conflict with *Science* Fiction - which I'm more a fan of, and get more of in other TFs series.

Ep 15 - Heroism!! The Birth of Super Ginrai

In yet another attempt to draw out and destroy Ginrai and his Transtector, the Decepticons this time capture a group of children, and hold them hostage. The Autobots arrive, but are outmatched with the appearance of King Poseidon (Piranacon). While trying to fight him off, Ginrai's Transtector suddenly merges with his trailer, and destroys King Poseidon... or at least, the Clones attached to Turtler (Snaptrap), who survives and retreats with the rest of the Decepticons. Super Ginrai is born.

The whole Dolphin-Ultrasonic plot device as a way of letting the Autobots know where Diver and the kids were... very improbable and unnecessary. It would have made more sense to have Diver's watch be a communicator for the kid to talk to the other Autobots, than having a long-winded Ultrasonic plot device being used that required a lot of explaining to the audience by the Autobots.

The Decepticon Pretenders capture children and kill police in front of the parents... and these are the sort of creatures that the Humans like the Decepticon Headmasters want to be associated with? And yet Minerva keeps trying to reach out to Cancer as if he can be 'saved from the dark side'.

The Autobots have their own transport ship for the four vehicles to get to the island, but don't seem to mind it being sunk as if it was an easy resource to just create and replace. The Autobots have to start flying around more.

The logo on Ginrai's bracelet was glowing as a Decepticon symbol, but then became an Autobot symbol while talking to Diver through it. Likely just an animation error.

Ep 16 - Lightfoot: A Dramatic Encounter

Ginrai searches for a person (Lightfoot) who sent in a letter to the TV station he featured on, who claims to have dreamt a robot. As he tracks him down in Canada, the Decepticon Pretenders have followed him to see what he is up to. Learning that Lightfoot's car is a Godmaster Transtector, he gives Lightfoot a pair of bracelets and tells him how to use them. As the Pretenders attack, and call on Turtler, Lightfoot helps Super Ginrai to defeat them, and asks to join him so he can teach him more.

So it seems that the Godmaster entities inhabit a human vehicle, not form one, as Lightfoot's car (Getaway) was built by his father, and 'came to life' 15 years ago with the Godmaster. I guess it means that the Godmaster entities have the power to convert a human vehicle into a transformable Transtector. I guess if they have all these other magical powers, converting a non-transformable vehicle into a Transformer like Vector Sigma did in the original series, is possible. Even though Ginrai mentions that the car is not made from Earth materials, it was indeed built by Lightfoot's father into a car.

The opening scene was probably unnecessary, and a little disturbing. Cab is trying to perve on Minerva while she's in a swimsuit, and even though Shuta is trying to stop him, the boys are caught in a rather embarrassing position. And all three are certainly well built for kids of about 12.

According to the scene with Lightfoot trying to transform, transformations are definitely voice-activated in the Japanese series (for dramatic effect), and not thought-activated like in the original Gen1 series.

Gilmer is hit in the groin by Lightfoot's car, grabs his groin as if in pain like a human male and his 'balls' are mentioned... plus Ginrai says Lightfoot should disinfect the hood of the car... Michael Bay would be so proud of this episode's writer.

Seacon clones really do blow up quite easily. Ginrai throws one to the ground, and it just explodes. And just like the Constructicons in the 2009 Movie, more Seacons appear to unite with Turtler (Snaptrap).

Lightfoot is a teenager... which means yet another kid in this cartoon. But I suppose that's what makes it more interesting for the kiddies watching, to wish they could 'have the power' too.

Ep 17 - An Enemy? The Third Godmaster, Ranger

Searching for the next Godmaster/Transtector and Human, the Autobots head for the site of the alien ore used in Lightfoot's car, while the Decepticons tap into memories within Hydra and Buster's own Transtectors. They come across Ranger in Canada, who has a large lump of the ore in his barn. When the Decepticons attack, Ranger is given a pair of bracelets and instructed on how to use them. He then asks to join the Autobots.

The voice of the Decepticons' master is finally given a name - Devil Z.

In this episode we have a Transtector/Godmaster entity changing from a lump of black rock into a car, suggesting that when the Godmaster entities crashed to Earth, they took on this solid form, buried in the ground, waiting for someone to dig them up. So far we have seen 3 that have bonded with Humans sympathetic to the Autobots, and as such have become Autobots as if they were mindless souls waiting for host. We've also had 2 bonded to Humans that are loyal to the Decepticons, but for some reason took a while for Giga and Mega to perfect the process... suggesting that the Godmasters are actually more Autobot by default than Decepticon. Especially since the Trailer half of Ginrai's Godmaster first appeared with an Autobot logo on it.
Devil Z also says that he wants his troops to find the remaining Godmasters and turn them into Decepticons... despite saying a few episodes back, that the Godmasters are supposed to be Decepticons because they have Decepticon souls. So finding them before they bond to a human shouldn't require turning them into Decepticons.

The 'great Devil Z' is suddenly revered/worshipped when he starts speaking in this episode, but wasn't shown the same respect when he spoke a couple episodes back.

Minerva sees Bullhorn and doesn't tell anyone about it until hours later when it is too late. I'm guessing this is just another case of a stereotypical Japanese Cartoon female character not being able to do anything without someone telling her first.

griffin
26th February 2011, 11:38 PM
Ep 18 - A Powerful Foe!! Sixknight the Wanderer

Sixknight, a six-changer, arrives on Earth and starts destroying things and killing people. He joins up with the Decepticons so that he can draw out and defeat Super Ginrai, a worthy opponent. He underestimates the Human element and retreats when defeated.

Since Sixknight (Quickswitch) is an Autobot toy, it didn't make much sense for him to arrive and kill humans, even if he is supposed to eventually turn good like his toy. And even if he does become an Autobot later, it won't make much sense, as redemption by Decepticons who change sides, is usually only possible if they haven't killed anyone, or have always had doubts about their allegiance. Sixknight has killed hundreds, possibly thousands, and is quite arrogantly evil, like a true Decepticon.
And he looks down on Autobots as inferior beings.

I still can't understand, if after years of having the iconic hero, Convoy/Optimus Prime on their world, why doesn't anyone immediately assume it is Optimus when they first see Ginrai's Transtector transform to robot mode? Or even question why he looks like the legendary Convoy/Optimus. I know it would be due to the plot of this series, but surely something should have been mentioned ages ago when he was first introduced, so that the kids watching the cartoon aren't confused at seeing the 'return' of a character they had been watching for the last few years, including his death only a year before (in Headmasters).

Ep 19 - At Full Strength! The Four Godmaster Gunmen

The fourth Godmaster is suspected to be a race car, as both sides find out it survives crashes undamaged. The driver of the car, Road King' is told about the Godmaster and Master-braces, and joins the Autobots when his mentor/father is threatened by the Decepticons.

The origin of this Godmaster is unknown (at this stage) but could have been built at the same factory as Lightfoot's.

Road King is quite accepting of his fate, and willingly joins the Autobots as if intergalactic warfare is such an easy thing to sign up for.

The battle at the end of the episode was very quick. The Seacons show up and within seconds are all destroyed, and the Decepticons are retreating. Admittedly, the battle was not the point of the episode, but the introduction and fleshing out of the Road King character.

Ep 20 - The Autobot Warrior, Sixknight?!

Sixknight returns, but only to try to find out how he could have been beaten by a human (in a powerful exosuit). He ends up abandoning his evil destructive ways and heads back off into space. Meanwhile, Cancer is given a small Decepticon 'pet' by Mega, called Browning.

Talk about product placement, with Browning showing up, without any need for it in the story. And I wonder if it will appear much in the future, or at all.
And Mega shows concern for Cancer, and tells him to love his new pet... not a very Decepticon trait.

Browning reminds me of Laserbeak from Armada... a cutesy little creature, that doesn't change size when transforming, like Megatron or Soundwave.

Ginrai is asked by Hawk to be the new Autobot leader... a human they've only recently met while being on Earth thousands of years, to lead *their* Autobot mission there. That scene almost felt like the Pretenders were going to announce their departure, so I was glad they didn't.

Ep 21 - Save the Little Girl! The Chojin Warriors, the Godmasters

The Decepticons start capturing doctors so that the Humans start suffering from lack of medical help. When one of Cab's friend's life is in danger, he leads a rescue of the doctors.

Not sure how effective the plan to capture all doctors will be, as there would be millions of them all around the world. With just a handful of Decepticons, it would take years to capture them all, and by then, more would have been trained up. And why not just kill them? Why keep them alive if they want to prevent humans from ever getting medical help? It's not like there hasn't been human carnage in this cartoon already.

We get to see another fancy Cybertron/Autobot vessel, with a giant submersable Hovercraft. Where do they get the time to build all these things?

When Ginrai enters the cave with all the doctors, it's almost looks like he's only interested in rescuing the one doctor who can help Cab's friend... and the rest of the doctors don't seem to care if they don't get rescued, as long as the girl is saved.

Buster is definitely not a dude... in this episode you can see she's got a rack under that jumper.

This show has a lot of english used in it, and I was wondering if it does confuse Japanese viewers, especially if any of our words sound like a JP word with a different meaning. It may be a novelty to have a little english thrown in, but having quite a bit could make it a confusing blending of the two languages.

Ep 22 - Life? Death? The Desperate Lightfoot

The Decepticons again try to target the 'traitor' Godmasters, by focussing first on Lightfoot. They capture his father and demand Lightfoot surrender to them. The rest of the Autobot Godmasters help him rescue his father. Meanwhile, Grand arrives on Earth to give the Earth Cybertrons/Autobots schematics to build Godbomber, an armour attachment for Super Ginrai.

Just on halfway through the series and we get a new intro sequence, to the same music. It looks nice seeing some new action scenes, but spoils it a little seeing Overlord before it's been introduced in the show. Well, it's only supposed to be a couple episodes away until that happens. The new intro only shows Godmasters and King Poseidon, with no sign of Pretenders or any real Transformers/Cybertronians.
I'm hoping this isn't a sign of things to come with the Pretenders, as we are seeing less of them in action now.

The first mention of Grand Maximus, and the appearance of Grand (Cerebros), plus a tiny portion of the Spaceship Maximus is seen before it cloaks. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be Fortress from Headmasters, but if it is, it is one of the few links to the existing Gen1 & Headmasters series.

Lightfoot's father is called Leftfoot... I wonder if his mother was called Rightfoot... :p

Ranger/Joyride tickles Hydra/Darkwing... oookay.

I just noticed something. In the US (comic) series Dreadwind/Buster seemed to be the senior one, but in the JP (cartoon) series Darkwing/Hydra is the senior one.

Skullcruncher
28th March 2011, 11:39 AM
Yesterday I finally sat down and watched the first 13 episodes, I actually quite liked them especially the pretenders, the weird noises the seacons made cracked me up as did Shuta and his kicking of the armadill - tentakil is actually quite good at being a bad guy!

Going to watch the rest during the week, so far I rate it above the headmasters.

jimoinj
15th October 2011, 09:42 AM
I’ve gotta disagree with Gok on the Headmasters Japanese Transformers series.

As far as Japanese culture and females goes, the Arcee as secretary explanation is wanting. What about Evangelion? Look at all of those fighting girl manga. Look at even Astroboy! All of these Japanese written and animated series feature strong, assertive and intelligent women who take up action roles. Well ok, maybe not intelligent for the soft-porn style fighting girl manga. Actually discount anything I mentioned about fighting girl manga, they are demeaning to women in other ways! But for Astroboy and Evangelion, they are not as demeaning to women as this series is. Evangelion is empowering if anything.

As Griff has mentioned, there are numerous continuity errors and nonsensical illogical and thoroughly implausible happenings. I mean, it makes the worst parts of the English language series look thoroughly realistic. Again these can’t be explained culturally, since there are logical and mature Japanese anime series such as Evangelion. It’s just lazy and poor writing, regardless of whether it’s written for kids or adults. The sudden introduction of unnecessary nonsensical plot devices like Maximus’ sword needed for his transformation, him not knowing about the sword, the care bears like group hug to get power. To use a sentence usually used to describe Michael Bay, this version of Transformers G1 is a raping of my childhood.

Gok, I realise you are a Japanese language speaker and perhaps feel closer culturally to this series than you do the American version. But it just comes across as you being an apologist for this series and to be grasping for negative comparisons from the English language G1 series or from other Western popular science-fiction/fantasy shows as a means of defence. I understand you prefer this series (which you admit is weak, at least compared to other Japanese series) to Rebirth. So I would really love to see your review of Rebirth, in a level of detail similar to this one by Griffin, to see where you can even begin to prefer this series over it.

GoktimusPrime
15th October 2011, 07:31 PM
The thing with Arcee though is that in Transformers The Movie and Season 3 (or TF 2010 as it was called in Japan) Arcee was shown to be an active warrior and not a submissive female "OL" (office lady). So even putting aside any cultural bias, it's just an INCONSISTENT portrayal of that character. If the G1 cartoon were a role playing game and, the dungeon master would deduct experience points off the person playing Arcee in the Headmasters for making her act out of character!

This is different from say other female TFs in Japanese G1 like Esmeral and Lyzak who are arguably even MORE stereotypically submissive females (they're literally stay-at-home mums nursing juvenile Decepticons -- at least Arcee still serves aboard a battleship in The Headmasters even if she's not an active combatant); because regardless of whether people think these Transformers have been portrayed in a sexist way or not, at least they've been consistent.

The same thing happened with Carly in The Headmasters too -- when she was younger she was a pro-active risk taker, showing just as much courage as Spike... but then in The Headmaster she just dotes over Daniel. Heck, when it came down to a choice between sending Carly or Daniel to save the day -- they chose Daniel. They chose a child over an adult with experience in fighting Decepticons and what not... most likely because she's "only" a woman.

I know there are plenty of implausible things in The Headmasters... I do consider it the weakest of the Japanese G1 series -- but there are plenty of implausible things in the Rebirth too. The main problem I have with the Rebirth is that everything was too rushed. I know that it's because David Wise originally wrote it as a 5 episode story then at the last minute Hasbro told him to wittle it down to a 3 episode story and he HAD to showcase virtually that entire year's worth of toys in it ... I don't blame Wise for it really - even HE didn't like having to cut his story down. But unfortunately the end result was that yeah -- a lot of things are just rushed and we see a lot of "hi then bye" appearances of characters. Sixshot is a good example of this - I quite like him in The Headmasters where he did get more character development. Was it the best character development ever? Probably not, but at least he got some development! How much character development did Sixshot get in The Rebirth? Sweet bugger all.

Now I'm not saying that I love everything about The Headmasters or that I hate everything about The Rebirth - there are things that I like and dislike in both.
e.g.:
Some things I dislike about The Headmasters:
+ Death of Ultra Magnus: one of the single most crappiest fight scenes I've ever seen. Magnus totally deserved a better death than that.
+ Inconsistent characterisation of Arcee.
+ Too much Daniel and Wheelie (but at least Wheelie doesn't talk in stupid rhymes and Daniel never became a Headmaster)
...etc.

And there are some things I like about The Rebirth, e.g.:
+ I like how they gave the Nebulans green skin and some different facial characteristics to distinguish them from humans. In the G1 comics they all looked human - almost all (except one) like Caucasian humans too. Erm... right. At least the cartoon made them look more alien. Although Zarak is awfully buff for a cripple who supposedly has no use of his body... (do they take steroids just to look hot?)
+ Cerebros' pacifism was interesting. The fact that they even made him a sentient Autobot was interesting (since in the comics he was nothing more than a drone to help Galen/Spike bond with Fortress Maximus Mark II).
+ Showing us the duality of the Transformers and their Nebulan/human partners - talking and working with (and sometimes against) each other. Even in the comics it was often one or the other personality who dominated, and in The Headmasters the Transtectors have no independent will. In The Rebirth it actually feels like a partnership.

So yeah, there are things I like and dislike with both series, but on the whole I much prefer The Headmasters.

P.S.: I first saw The Rebirth in late 1987 or early 1988... and I first saw Japanese G1 around 1990-91 (albeit in the horrific English dub - I first saw The Headmasters in Japanese in 1998) -- so at the time that I first saw these series I young enough to not be scrutinising either series as much as I do now as an adult. And I remember after watching Japanese G1 thinking to myself that it looked a lot better than The Rebirth.

KalEl
12th April 2012, 05:38 PM
Just put on The first ep of headmasters, wow the dub is so bad... and they say cyber ton not cybertron... lol

Hursticon
12th April 2012, 05:52 PM
Just put on The first ep of headmasters, wow the dub is so bad... and they say cyber ton not cybertron... lol

Watch it in Japanese with Subs man, it's far superior in that fashion IMO. :p