PDA

View Full Version : Queensland floods

Paulbot
11th January 2011, 07:08 PM
The footage we're seeing from Queensland is awful and unbelievable.

People dead and missing. Three quarters of the state a disaster area. :(

I hope our Queensland members stay safe and are not badly affected. We're all hoping the best for you all.

To those who can help there is a Flood Relief Appeal (http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html)

Hursticon
11th January 2011, 07:19 PM
My family and I made a donation last night, but I too would like to extend the sentiments that Paulbot has expressed - Take care guys, our thoughts are with you.

5FDP
11th January 2011, 07:31 PM
My dad is in a suburb which is likely to be evacuated tonight. I'm not getting any sleep that's for sure.

My heart and thoughts go out to all the families effected by this tragedy.

1AZRAEL1
11th January 2011, 07:45 PM
True that. Saw some pretty crazy footage of one minute there was a parking lot of cars, the next it was flooded with cars being washed away. Crazy stuff.

I too have family up there, my cousin and her hubby moved up there year before last I think, she is down in the Gong visiting family, her hubby is up there. She can't go back yet, as the place they are living is in the evac zone. But he is fine thankfully. SO I know how people would be feeling.

Hope all the guys on here are safe at least.

Vector Prime
11th January 2011, 08:04 PM
Whilst I don't have any relatives or friends up in QLD, my thoughts and heart goes out to all those affected, especially our fellow board members.

I just saw some of the footage and it's absolutely crazy :eek:

Mother nature can be so cruel sometimes.

Hopefully all you guys are safe!

loophole
11th January 2011, 08:41 PM
i just saw some footage as well its amazing how much destructive force mother nature can giveout in such a short time

pray that everyones family and friends stay safe through this disaster

SkyWarp91
11th January 2011, 08:48 PM
For anyone that has relatives in the flooded regions of QLD I found this in my SAS Survival Guide:

Food and Water
Food is not likely to be a problem, at least at first, for animals will also head for high ground. Both predators and prey are likely to concentrate on getting to safety - but beware of injury from panic stricken animals in the water.

Drinking water may be difficult to obtain, for water swirling around you may be contamninated, collect rainwater to drink, and boil any other water before you use it.

Flooded Buildings
If you are in a building when the water begins to rise, stay where you are. You will be at less risk than trying to evacuate on foot. Turn off gas and electricity and prepare emergency food supplies , warm clothing and drinking water in well sealed containers. Collect a torch, whistle, mirror and brightly colored cloths for signalling, and add them to your gear with a camp stove, candles and matches.

Move to an upper floor, or on to the roof in a single story buidling. If you are forced to occupy the roof - erect a shelter. If it is a sloping roof, tie everyone to a chimney stack or other solid structure. If the water continues to rise, prepare some kind of raft. If you have no ropes, use bed sheets. Unless the water rises so high you are forced to evacuate, stay until it stops rising.

Evacuation
Seek shelter on higher ground. You don't have to be at the bottom of the hill to be on low ground. When walking or diving to a safer location remember that a small drop in the level of the roadway down a hill can make a difference to the water depth. If your call stalls, abandon it. You and your vehicle could be swept away. Do not attempt to cross a pool or stream unless you are certain the water will not be higher than the centre of the car's wheels or your knees. If crossing bridges which are underwater take special care if flood has already swept away part of the bridge away.

Flood Aftermath
Do not go outside until you know it's safe. More storms could be on the way.

As flood waters recede they will eave a scene of devastation littered with debris and the bodies of flood victims. With decay and pollution of the water comes the risk of disease. Take extra precaution; burn all animal corpses - do not risk eating them and thoroughly boil all water befor eusing. Some crops may still be available after the flood waters recede and birds that have escaped the flood will be safe and good to eat.

Sleeve
11th January 2011, 10:40 PM
Cheers for the well wishes, folks. I'm alright where I am, only some moderate flooding near my place and was fortunate enough to be able to leave work early to actually get home, but Mum is in New Farm on the river and Dad is in Toowoomba (his store is only a couple of hundred metres from where all the footage was taken), so 'stressed' is the operative word and a damn understatement. That's not to mention all my friends who live in Brisbane that I'm worried about, and poor Tinyjazz having to decide which TFs to pack in case she has to leave.

You picked a good week to fly down to Melbourne, jaydisc.......:(

Autocon
12th January 2011, 01:31 AM
10 dead 4 of those kids:(

griffin, tinyjazz, sleeve who else lives in qld from the boards? and u would pack all of them:)

hope they and everyone else is alright:(

JustOwen
12th January 2011, 02:02 AM
I am in Brisbane too

It's very depressing to sit here watching the news

My suburb is safe at the moment but some surrounding suburbs are marked as flood areas. God bless us all.

Kyle
12th January 2011, 11:12 AM
My thoughts are with all QLD members who might be affected. Wish you and your families are safe.

Hursticon
12th January 2011, 11:37 AM
You've got to love Aussie attitudes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5nq90Vg2s) towards adversity don't you? </shakes head> :p

*Edit: This shows how insanely quick the floods are/were rising, here is a video from Toowoomba (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZUZVmWZF8Y).

Hursticon
12th January 2011, 11:58 AM
Here's another (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axs11ayZ_GI), from Maryborough on the 8-9th of January.

*Edit: Here's the Bruce Highway, North of Caboolture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abMpy1oJXBI) (11/01/11) <- I've been on this stretch and this is insane! :eek:

We keep getting the same footage on the news so I thought I'd try and find some footage that people at 'ground zero' have been able to post in order to give anyone reading this thread in Australia or Worldwide an everyday person's perspective.

My continued thoughts are with those in Brisbane at the moment, if you guys are anything like your Broncos Football Team - You'll hold steadfast and pull through guys. :)

optimus1
12th January 2011, 12:11 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to those suffering in Queensland.

I'm originally from Brisbane, I have friends and family that I am worried about.

My cousin lives next to Southbank so is right near the Brisbane River :(

gantz
12th January 2011, 12:47 PM
Kevin Smith has auctioned off the first poster for 'Red State' sold for US $850
and he will match that $ for $

Burn
12th January 2011, 07:05 PM
griffin, tinyjazz, sleeve who else lives in qld from the boards?

Well there's a few more of us, well away from the flooded areas. Some of us only had to contend with the cyclone that started all this on christmas day.
Which was more a case of "that was a cyclone?" and was a blip compared to the damage these floods are doing.

Thanatos
12th January 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm in North Brisbane and I'm fine, my grandparents have had to leave Fig Tree Pocket now.

I saw the uni underwater and it broke my heart. It's going to be a crazy few days as we watch this all unfold.

i_amtrunks
12th January 2011, 09:51 PM
The footage of Brisbane River rising all day today was scary, I cannot imagine the amount of damage these floods have caused, and will continue to cause as the water moves down western NSW and eventually into South Australia and Victoria. Hopefully the parched land in outback NSW drinks the water before it can do too much more damage. (No such luck for the water on the eastern side of the dividing range.)

I spent a fair bit of today watching the ABC and SBS news coverage, as channel 9 and 7 are just showing the same 45 seconds of footage over and over, and their "reporting" is atrocious.

And for all the Greenies in the Brisvegas region, they cannot complain about dams any more, imagine what the flood situation would be like if the Wivenhoe dam wasn't holding so much water behind it's wall?

Hursticon
12th January 2011, 11:02 PM
I spent a fair bit of today watching the ABC and SBS news coverage, as channel 9 and 7 are just showing the same 45 seconds of footage over and over, and their "reporting" is atrocious.

And for all the Greenies in the Brisvegas region, they cannot complain about dams any more, imagine what the flood situation would be like if the Wivenhoe dam wasn't holding so much water behind it's wall?

Couldn't of said it better my self dude. :cool:
My own TV hasn't moved of ABC News 24 all day for that very reason ;) and yeah, think of it like this: With the Wivenhoe Dam the water levels are set to exceed the 1974 floods - imagine what they'd be like at the moment if that Dam didn't exist!?! :eek:

SkyWarp91
12th January 2011, 11:32 PM
Couldn't of said it better my self dude. :cool:
My own TV hasn't moved of ABC News 24 all day for that very reason ;) and yeah, think of it like this: With the Wivenhoe Dam the water levels are set to exceed the 1974 floods - imagine what they'd be like at the moment if that Dam didn't exist!?! :eek:

The footage of Brisbane River rising all day today was scary, I cannot imagine the amount of damage these floods have caused, and will continue to cause as the water moves down western NSW and eventually into South Australia and Victoria. Hopefully the parched land in outback NSW drinks the water before it can do too much more damage. (No such luck for the water on the eastern side of the dividing range.)

Just watched a Channel 7 Overview of today's news and because the majority of people they interviewed say they feel an eerie calmness in the midst of this tragic incident, the news station then decides to play a music video of the floods to a haunting music track that sounds like it came out of a Tim Burton flick. That's really going to help Channel 7...

............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

STL
13th January 2011, 01:14 PM
I made a donation yesterday as well.

Best wishes to all. As hard as it is, all will be well.

Verno
13th January 2011, 02:41 PM
It's all simply unimaginable. Unfathomable, the sheer scale of the entire situation.

My thoughts go out to all the board members up that way, their families, friends and neighbours.

It's ridiculous the thoughts one has in a time like this. The coverage on TV has shown just how optimistic and funny Australians are, joking about things while their house is swamped.

I'm 3000km from you guys but can't help but say feel free to move down here to Tassie after this is all over. :)

1AZRAEL1
13th January 2011, 03:15 PM
The coverage on TV has shown just how optimistic and funny Australians are, joking about things while their house is swamped.

That's the Aussie spirit for ya, no matter what, we can always joke about things, even in such a trying time. It's either laugh or cry about it. After losing so much, it would be hard to start all over again. As the song goes, always look on the bright side of life :) (even if it's hard to see it)

One thing that made me smile though, was seeing a picture of a frog hitching a ride on the back of a brown snake. Even in the animal kingdom, they forget their rivalries and help each other out.

Hursticon
13th January 2011, 03:25 PM
One thing that made me smile though, was seeing a picture of a frog hitching a ride on the back of a brown snake. Even in the animal kingdom, they forget their rivalries and help each other out.

:eek: Really? says a lot about Aussie Animals too I guess :p, Humans/Fauna - Aussie Mate-ship remains strong. :cool:

1AZRAEL1
13th January 2011, 03:29 PM
:eek: Really? says a lot about Aussie Animals too I guess :p, Humans/Fauna - Aussie Mate-ship remains strong. :cool:

Yea, found it on here (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8195243/frog-hitches-ride-with-snake-to-flee-floods). Quite bizarre to see it.

SGB
13th January 2011, 04:09 PM
Looks like King Wally was prepared for the floods (http://twitpic.com/3pbkz3).

1AZRAEL1
13th January 2011, 04:18 PM
Heh, that's cool.

As someone said in the news, "If we don't laugh, we will go mental"

Burn
13th January 2011, 06:42 PM
So I heard two things today.

1 - A Cyclone is expected to form off the coast in the next 24 hours.

If that doesn't happen ...

2 - We should prepare for "catastrophic" flooding on Saturday.

Okay so we dodged a bullet over Christmas, problem is, if we get rain up here, that system is liable to head down the coast again and bring even more rain down south.

Verno
13th January 2011, 06:52 PM
Shed a tear for Queensland. But do it downstream.

tron07
14th January 2011, 10:04 AM
I have a site in Brisbane, its near the river and its gone....

Power went out late Tuesday, then the river went in the basement and ground floor. Now they are waiting for the river to go down, then the fire service can pump out the water. It will probably take 48 hours for the water to be pump out, then only can the insurance team, hazmat team, etc go in to inspect the building.

After that will be the process of restoring the power, and then start the clean up operation.

Hursticon
14th January 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear Tron07, needless to say you've got quite an agonising wait ahead of you to see how badly damaged, and how costly, the premises is. :(
I hope that miraculously, little damage has been done. :o

Borgeman
14th January 2011, 10:57 AM
well i saw this in a paper yesterday:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x24/borgeman/13012011433.jpg

George

i_amtrunks
14th January 2011, 01:02 PM
Shock horror the insurance companies are doing their best to get out of paying out on flood insurance, claiming that many affected homes have not been flooded as the water "came up from the ground and into their properties".

If that is not a flood, then what is? I know that insurance companies only exist to rip off people, but they should be made to pay out every single claim made by those whose houses have been affected, I don't care if they go broke, that is the risk of the whole industry.

Should also not be allowed to increase their rates, so they cannot just recoup their loses from non-affected policy holders.

griffin
14th January 2011, 02:06 PM
Most QLD insurance companies actually don't cover flood damage, so it wouldn't surprise me that the ones that do, are trying to get out of it.

I was told once by someone in the industry, you can claim for items that get drenched by rain, but the moment a pool of water touches it, you're stuck without coverage... so, people who are in homes that got flooded but had an area that wasn't flooded (like upstairs, inside the ceiling/attic, or veranda), clean off the mud from the flooded items and move them there before taking photos for the insurance claim (to claim rain damage, like if you left a window open by accident during a storm).
It would only cover their contents, not their house, but it might help those struggling with debts and mortgage to get something back from all those Insurance premiums they'd been paying.

Bartrim
14th January 2011, 02:31 PM
They did the same thing in Wollongong years ago with the floods there. My brothers gf lost her house and car and didn't get anything from insurance as although she had coverage for flooding the insurance company called it storm damage for which she didn't have coverage.

Autocon
15th January 2011, 03:33 AM
king insurance companies!!!:mad:

griffin
15th January 2011, 11:35 PM
I just heard that Tinyjazz was in the floodzone, so might have a big cleanup ahead of her and her family. :(
And I think if anyone else here was affected, we might not know about it directly, as they won't be on here for a while.
If you hear of any other member (not just in Brisbane or QLD) who's been affected, and needs a hand with the clean up, post here.

Autocon
16th January 2011, 01:23 AM
:( hope tinyjazz hasnt lost too much in the floods

Hursticon
16th January 2011, 09:52 AM
I just heard that Tinyjazz was in the floodzone, so might have a big cleanup ahead of her and her family. :(
And I think if anyone else here was affected, we might not know about it directly, as they won't be on here for a while.
If you hear of any other member (not just in Brisbane or QLD) who's been affected, and needs a hand with the clean up, post here.

:( hope tinyjazz hasnt lost too much in the floods

This is indeed sad news to hear and I'd like to echo Autocon's sentiments in that I hope Tinyjazz and her family are all safe in good health and I offer my condolences for their losses, there will no doubt be some trying times ahead for them. :(

Vector Prime
16th January 2011, 09:54 AM
Wow, and it's tinyjazz's b'day today too... hope all is well :(

griffin
16th January 2011, 09:07 PM
For those interested in the seeing the extent of the flooding, the nearmap.com (http://www.nearmap.com/) site appears to take photo-maps of the globe and archives them. So the latest maps for brisbane are from last Thursday (the day of the peak), and then select a previous dated map for comparisons.

I was able to find Tinyjazz's house, and it is in the middle of a big patch of water. :(

As for the calendar printer, the water is right next to their building, so it might be okay if they had them back on-site (they had to send them somewhere else to be bound). I might see if I can check it out tomorrow.

Vector Prime
16th January 2011, 09:09 PM
I was able to find Tinyjazz's house, and it is in the middle of a big patch of water. :(

Oh crap! That's not good to hear.... anyone spoken to her lately about the extent of the damage? :(

Bartrim
17th January 2011, 08:03 AM
Oh crap! That's not good to hear.... anyone spoken to her lately about the extent of the damage? :(

She said on facebook that they are gutting their house. So I assume there was some property damage but I think all her family are safe.

Saintly
17th January 2011, 08:40 AM
it's so sad to hear people that you know that are affected by the floods

and incomprehensible to hear that insurance company said that the flood was man-made!

Deonasis
17th January 2011, 09:36 AM
Hopefully those affected continue to get the communty support they need. Anywhere i have seen damage of the Brisbane floods i have seen many many helpers.

5FDP
17th January 2011, 10:53 AM
it's so sad to hear people that you know that are affected by the floods

and incomprehensible to hear that insurance company said that the flood was man-made!

Yeah, Bob Brown's chipped in his 'two cents (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/coal-miners-to-blame-for-queensland-floods-says-australian-greens-leader-bob-brown/story-e6frfku0-1225988806619)' worth and accused the coal miners. This guy needs to go away and take a good hard look at himself.

kup
17th January 2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Bob Brown's chipped in his 'two cents (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/coal-miners-to-blame-for-queensland-floods-says-australian-greens-leader-bob-brown/story-e6frfku0-1225988806619)' worth and accused the coal miners. This guy needs to go away and take a good hard look at himself.

The Greens are loosing their balance and are steadily becoming the other 'extreme' of the equation.

Hursticon
17th January 2011, 12:09 PM
I agree, normally Senator Brown is pretty even keel but yeah - those comments are a little 'off' to say the least. :o

I don't think the Miners have caused this event and Global Warming may have a degree of influence but I imagine it is pretty small really, so I reckon the floods are just one of those 'freak events' that occur once or twice every 40-50 years and they're rather tragic - but no one can be blamed for these natural occurrences. :o

I think Senator Brown has done himself and his party more bad than good here unfortunately, but I think that these multi-billion dollar companies could do a little more than offer condolences - it's also nice to see the wave of offerings of assistance from Nations we've helped in the past too. :rolleyes::mad:
(Like 'em or hate 'em, at least America has stayed true to it's word ;))

griffin
17th January 2011, 02:45 PM
If it was the first ever flood for Brisbane, people could then look at contemporary issues like global warming. But Brisbane has flooded periodically for centuries. It occurred because of a combination of weather events, not because of anything human civilisation did. It actually would have been a lot worse if we hadn't of 'interfered' by building the giant Wivenhoe Dam 30 years ago. It's still holding back several 'Sydney Harbours' of water that was prevented from going through the city last week with the rest of the rain.

Autocon
18th January 2011, 12:33 AM
What lines does tinyjazz collect? did she loose anything? Thinking maybe tf comty can help her and others effect by the floods. If she colect bw or movie line i can give 1 or 2 figs to her that lost in floods :D not much i know. Maybe pack sheets clothes n stuff 4 ppl, like a flood drive if any qld ppl on the boards need it.

griffin
18th January 2011, 01:40 AM
It doesn't sound like she lost any toys, as they moved a lot of stuff out in the day before the water came up. But it did make it about half a meter into their second floor, which meant stuff they left behind but moved upstairs, still got destroyed.

At least if the water doesn't reach the floor of the second storey, the people can still live in their house as soon as the water recedes, and only have to clean/remove/replace/repair just the first floor. Otherwise it's a bigger cleanup, and longer until they can move back home.

Autocon
18th January 2011, 02:04 AM
Insce cpys wont payout coz diff flooding types. Flash floods, riverine floods etc arsholes. Note read carefully n ask qs! Covered by which kinds of floods etc

griffin
18th January 2011, 02:55 AM
That is so hard to 'translate'. You need to use full/proper words, as this isn't a TXT conversation between school friends. Everyone has to be able to understand what you are saying, or else they will start ignoring you and your posts.

And to comment on your post, yes, her family has already had problems from the Insurance company about the type of flooding that damaged their house.

Sky Shadow
18th January 2011, 11:01 AM
My best wishes to everyone affected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter2.htm

Hursticon
18th January 2011, 11:47 AM
My best wishes to everyone affected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/infographics/qld-floods/beforeafter2.htm

Wow! :eek:
Cheers for the links Sky Shadow and Kudos to the ABC, those really show how insane and large scale the flooding has been huh? - poor bastards. :(

griffin
18th January 2011, 12:15 PM
Nice to see a before/after slide photo from that link I posted above. It makes it easy to see the exact extent of the flooding.
I was surprised it didn't end up making it into the Brisbane CBD like in 74. It looks like it only made it into the one street at Eagle St Pier and into the Gardens.

Hursticon
18th January 2011, 12:47 PM
I was surprised it didn't end up making it into the Brisbane CBD like in 74. It looks like it only made it into the one street at Eagle St Pier and into the Gardens.

Thank Anubis for that Dam huh? ;)

Sam
18th January 2011, 09:42 PM
Hoping those who are affected are safe.

For those who haven't donated to relief agencies but have been thinking about it, may I suggest you will not regret doing so. Every little bit helps.

shokwave2
18th January 2011, 10:10 PM
At least if the water doesn't reach the floor of the second storey, the people can still live in their house as soon as the water recedes, and only have to clean/remove/replace/repair just the first floor. Otherwise it's a bigger cleanup, and longer until they can move back home.

Apparently it won't be that easy. The buildings foundations, walls, frames, etc may have been weakened due to the water, and safety checks have to be conducted on most houses to make sure they won't collapse. Electricians will also have to check to make sure there's no chance of electrocution, as the water would have gotten into the walls, wires, powerpoints. It's gonna be a long process by the sounds of it.

Autocon
27th January 2011, 05:40 PM
any updates? how is tinyjazzy?:(

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd February 2011, 07:35 PM
:( I'm bumping this with a Holy **** (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-fn7ik2te-1225998762870)...good luck to any and all Queenslanders 'cos this one's BIG.

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2011, 08:53 PM
Here's to hoping Burn and any others from up in one of the nicest parts of the world have found themselves a nice safe bunker to hide away in.

I wonder what Queensland has done to deserve so much punishment?

Paulbot
2nd February 2011, 09:47 PM
Hoping for the best for all those up there. One of my team members from work was in Cairns yesterday and I was up at Townsville just a few months ago so I'm following the news closely.

Autocon
2nd February 2011, 10:11 PM
hope for the best to all qlders. stay safe and strong!!

dirge
2nd February 2011, 11:48 PM
I'm sure all of our thoughts are with Burn tonight. And everyone else in Innisfail (and Cairns, Townsville etc).

twincobra
3rd February 2011, 12:18 AM
We are getting smashed here in innisfail,sounds like a jet engine at times and we havent coped the balls of it yet.

Burn
5th February 2011, 09:05 AM
I found internet in a stinky water logged office! :p

No power at home, but also no damage. Just a bunch of wiped out fruit trees.

As TC said, jet engines. Wasn't an easy night, we had mandatory evacuations so my family bunkered down in my new townhouse, which wasn't even set up for me yet! Spent the night trying to sleep on the tiled floor. Lots of fun noises outside, didn't know whether roof was lifting or the garage door was going or it was just the neighbours awnings.

Turned out to be the awnings.

We got off lightly though, south in Tully though is a different story. That wasn't a large town to begin with and it's pretty much flattened.

1AZRAEL1
5th February 2011, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear you weathered the storm :)

Vector Prime
5th February 2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, glad to hear you're okay Burn! :)

Hursticon
5th February 2011, 01:41 PM
I too am glad to hear that you've come through okay Burn, considering your proximity to the eye. :o
I'm still concerned for Tinyjazz though, as anyone heard from her at all lately?

Burn
5th February 2011, 04:13 PM
I too am glad to hear that you've come through okay Burn, considering your proximity to the eye. :o

Strangely enough we never even experienced the eye. It was announced on the radio that the eye would be passing in about 15 mins at which point we'd have an hour to an hour and a half of peace but it never eventuated, just a change in wind direction.

Deonasis
6th February 2011, 01:29 AM
Good to hear you faired ok Burn. Like the Toowoomba floods the feroicity would have been terrifying.

Not taking anything away from all the other disasters across the state tho, there have been huge loses everywhere. :(

twincobra
6th February 2011, 07:33 AM
Im glad its all over,just need some power now.

Burn
6th February 2011, 10:07 AM
Good to hear you faired ok Burn. Like the Toowoomba floods the feroicity would have been terrifying.

I think i'd take a cyclone over those floods. At least we had more than 24 hours warning. Those poor folks in Toowoomba barely had 24 minutes. :(

Deonasis
6th February 2011, 10:17 AM
I think i'd take a cyclone over those floods. At least we had more than 24 hours warning. Those poor folks in Toowoomba barely had 24 minutes. :(

Very true. My point was that you could be in an extremely bad situation very fast (like the Toowoombians) if your shelter started to break up.

Autocon
7th February 2011, 12:43 AM
glad everyone has come through okay:) where has tinyjazz got to?

Vector Prime
7th February 2011, 12:51 AM
glad everyone has come through okay:) where has tinyjazz got to?

She doesn't normally post a lot anyway, but I think I saw her online a few days ago.

Burn
8th February 2011, 10:08 PM
Power back at my parents place, still no power at my new place, which is annoying because it's not even five minutes from the CBD which has had power for days!

Paulbot
28th January 2013, 12:26 PM
Oh no, not again.

Be safe QLD people!

SkyWarp91
28th January 2013, 12:36 PM
Oh no, not again.

Be safe QLD people!

I'm in Brissy this week, weather in the city is fine right now but apparently some streets will get flooded overnight. Heard it's nothing as bad as what happened in 2011.

Ultra Mackness
28th January 2013, 04:26 PM
Oh no, not again.

Be safe QLD people!

I echo this sentiment.

SkyWarp91
28th January 2013, 07:37 PM
The winds here are like the fart of Unicron!!

On a serious note though , damn this flooding makes me appreciate more what I have at home back in SA- though it seems kind of frustrating that people who were warned about evacuations beforehand are now being rescued by helicopters as they refused to leave earlier. Hope the wheather gets better though

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2013, 08:56 PM
Wow, I can see the board on my mobile but not on my computer!

Bidoofdude
28th January 2013, 09:49 PM
The board had some problems today Gok so that's what's up.
Hope all QLD members are good and safe and all TFs are intact.:o
I give my blessings.:p;)

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2013, 10:58 PM
The board had some problems today Gok so that's what's up.
Yes I know. Some of us off the board were talking about how we couldn't see the board on our computers but we could on our mobiles.

Hursticon
29th January 2013, 04:14 AM
I echo this sentiment.

Ditto. :o

liegeprime
29th January 2013, 12:15 PM
Wish there was a way for all that flood water to get sucked up by dozens of firetrucks , etc and shipped to those bushfire areas....:(:( they really need it.

Waxpython
29th January 2013, 01:16 PM
Sorry to those at QLD makes us all think how easy it would be to lose everything we care about.

Burn
29th January 2013, 07:17 PM
One week ago the rain was passing through, we had the usual creeks go over. Nothing major though. Hard to believe it picked up intensity as it tracked down the coast and dumped what it did!