PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tips?

blackoptimus
16th January 2011, 10:56 PM
Hey Guys I wanna paint up on of my trailbreaker's black paint chips and silver chrome and also blurr's wind screen and metal portion leg bits. Any tips on how to get started and where to pick up the paint? If anyone wants to do the job and some extra's I'd be happy to pay $30+ I'd pay postage as a side.

SkyWarp91
17th January 2011, 01:04 AM
Hey Guys I wanna paint up on of my trailbreaker's black paint chips and silver chrome and also blurr's wind screen and metal portion leg bits. Any tips on how to get started and where to pick up the paint? If anyone wants to do the job and some extra's I'd be happy to pay $30+ I'd pay postage as a side.

Start with Games Workshop, they sell paints and I'm sure they sell a few books on how to paint like a pro-modeller.

blackoptimus
17th January 2011, 01:20 AM
Start with Games Workshop, they sell paints and I'm sure they sell a few books on how to paint like a pro-modeller.

What about toyworld paint?

SkyWarp91
18th January 2011, 03:14 AM
What about toyworld paint?

Haven't used Toyworld Paints before, but I'm sure that Games Workshop does sell a starter book for newbies for painting and custom-modelling. Maybe Toyworld would sell the same too. You could always ask the staff at GW for advice as well, most places have nice workers and looking on the shelves there are a great way to getting to know the tools needed for custom painting.

Good luck Blackoptimus.

Dkaris
18th January 2011, 03:25 AM
the ultimate warhammer 40k painting guides is what you would want to google, followed by .torrent if you didnt want to pay for a good book on painting figures and miniatures =P

As far as creating a chipped paint effect, get a sponge, get some silver (or whatever color you want the chips to be) and put a very very small amount of it on a small area of the sponge, when i say small amount i mean hardly any at all. What you want to do is dab the sponge on your desired area quickly, pushing down and kind of rolling your finger to pull the sponge in one direction, if you just dab it on the area it will just blotch, if you roll it will give an uneven chipped effect. Practice on a spare piece of cardboard or a plastic milk bottle or something first.

The thing to remember with transformers is if your going to transform them then most water based paint (like games workshop) will chip or ware off when you transform it. you can get clear spray varnish to seal the paint, i think most craft stores have it in gloss or a matt finish. I've painted all different stuff over the years, if you have any questions just ask.

Doubledealer
18th January 2011, 12:11 PM
trailbreaker's black paint chips and silver chrome = Tamiya Gloss Black enamel spray can + Kosutte Gin San for the chrome (google to buy online)

blurr's wind screen and metal portion leg bits = hand paint using Tamiya enamels (unless you have an airbrush?). You may have to mix white/other colours to get the colours spot on. Mix with Tamiya Enamel Thinner using 1:1 ratio. Very lightly sand using 1000grit+ wet/sandpaper after you've built up enough coats (don't try to get solid coverage on the first layer, enamel paint has to cure and if you apply it too thickly or don 't leave it to cure long enough it can remain tacky for a looong time.

These projects aren't easy, if you aim to do these sort of repairs in the future I highly recommend looking into an airbrush.

blackoptimus
18th January 2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like a long procedure to get the job done.

sideswipes brother
6th February 2011, 07:38 AM
What about automobile touch up paints? Are they any good for Tf's?