PDA

View Full Version : Holden Camaro - Bumblebee to come to Australia?

griffin
20th April 2008, 06:15 PM
This could well be a world exclusive news item. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any confirmation on this, so it is all just alleged at this stage. (I may have already mentioned it briefly in one of the Toyfair reports)

At the Melbourne Toy and Hobby Fair, we (Ian, Paul and I) saw an exhibit for a licensed model car distributor, with a heap of 'Movie Bumblebee' styled 2009 Camaro cars.

http://www.otca.com.au/holdencamaro2.jpg

I asked the lady sitting there about why the Bumblebee display and cars, and she said that it was to coincide with the release of the *Holden Camaro* in Australia late 2008/early 2009.

http://www.otca.com.au/holdencamaro1.jpg

Doing a bit of research and contacting Holden myself, I wasn't able to get any corroborating evidence, but did get a responce from Holden that didn't deny it either.
The US Camaro is being listed as an international release, but doesn't specify (that I could find) any particular countries other than America.

This was the reply I got from Holden Customer Service:

We would like to advise that as yet, Holden has not publicly released any information regarding future Australian sales of the Chevrolet Camaro.
Please check our website for updates.

So if this vehicle is released in this country, it would be fairly pricey (think of it as a replacement to the Monaro, which was about 60-100 grand). But I wonder if anyone would be keen to buy one if it was released in Bumblebee colours.
It might be unlikely that they would do a Bumblebee colour scheme release, but you never know, considering the amount of almost-free global publicity they got for the car and that black and yellow version.

As a side note - those model Camaro cars on display would not be Hasbro licensed, if they don't have any mention of Bumblebee or the Movie. They would be Holden/GM licensed. As such, this wouldn't really be Transformers News.

iceburn
20th April 2008, 06:47 PM
i've saw them on display at the hobby shop (next to JB Hi-fi) in Chadstone today. Unsure of the price range. there is even those Radio-controlled cameros

MV75
20th April 2008, 07:00 PM
Even though it's about time (way late) they replaced the Plastic fantastic eyesore that is the family commodore with a real sports car, I'd rather get a datsun gtr. Man that thing is killer hot.
________
Kawasaki Mt1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_MT1)

E|dan
20th April 2008, 08:28 PM
i am not sure my self griffin..but my friend told me ( A hardcore CAR enthusiast) that the camaro is the upgrade version for the monaro for holden...and if my memory serves me right...we would see a few "new monaro's " soon on our streets...

turtle boy
20th April 2008, 08:38 PM
from what i remember, the were going to kill of the monaros again.

griffin
20th April 2008, 09:07 PM
Well Holden did stop producing the Monaro, but I guess they could still sell a car badged as a Monaro, like the US badged our Monaro as a Pontiac GT (I think that was the name). The ones on display at the Toyfair exhibit were being called Camaro though, not Monaro, (if I recall) so I'd expect the toys to be labelled the same as the AUS car name. But they could just be imported US toys with the Camaro name.
This is why I wanted to make sure this info was noted as unconfirmed at this stage, and we would need to wait until Holden makes some sort of announcement on the issue.

Paulbot
20th April 2008, 09:19 PM
I would buy one in Bumblebee's colours .... if I could afford it.

roller
20th April 2008, 09:21 PM
Lady in photo nice nice

i saw the 70's bumblebee on a WA car hoon tv show

yes i did

iceburn
20th April 2008, 10:02 PM
I would buy one in Bumblebee's colours .... if I could afford it.

whoever's going to Chaddy this week, please check out the price range from that shop??? :)

Tiby
20th April 2008, 10:17 PM
The Camaro is based on the Holden Commodore Platform, which is why they were testing some of them here. Since the Commodore is being sold in the US under the Pontiac badge, including the new ute, there is no reason why the reverse could not be true.

It has been rumoured pretty strongly that Camaro will make a 2009/2010 appearance in Australia. The US will be getting a variety of engines, including a turbo 4 cyl, which makes sense in the current petrol climate.

I am seriously toying with the possibility of getting one depending on interest rates. My dad had an original Monaro in the 70s with Bumblebeen colours so it would be great to mirror that with a Camaro!

Paulbot
20th April 2008, 10:19 PM
I meant I would buy the real thing. I saw those models at Chadstone a while back but never checked the prices.

Pulse
20th April 2008, 10:19 PM
Honestly, I can't see the appeal of cars like this Camaro, current Muzzie etc. when it comes to droolworthy pieces of automotive machinery. I only read (& subscribe to) one magazine - Street Machine. Classic older muscle machines leave today's stuff dead in the water. Today's cars don't even come close in the coolness stakes to yesterday's examples of automotive car craft. I've been to more Summernats than I can recall & I've lurved every second of them. Classic body styles, lashings of chrome, fully-tubbed rear ends & sky-high mountains of metal! Drool...

Call me a bogan, a rev head, a neanderthal - whatever. In my opinion, todays' cars couldn't hold a candle to yesterday's modified examples of muscle when given the magic touch. :)

Tiby
20th April 2008, 10:28 PM
Ha ha Pulse, that is true. Sadly, I don't have the time or patience for the magic touch anymore! Also, warranty comes in handy for the same reasons! My dad now has a '71 Mustang and it still has pride of place in our family, despite some of our more modern, fancy cars.

Pulse
20th April 2008, 10:43 PM
Ha ha Pulse, that is true. Sadly, I don't have the time or patience for the magic touch anymore! Also, warranty comes in handy for the same reasons! My dad now has a '71 Mustang and it still has pride of place in our family, despite some of our more modern, fancy cars.

You haven't seen our family's garage of project cars. My bro used to own an Ochre Yellow XY Falcon with a 351 Clevo (which has since been written off by the new owner), he currently owns a silver & black XE ESP powered by another 351 Clevo & I'm looking at purchasing a 1980 Chevy Camaro Z28 which will ultimately become my dream project car (I'm budgeting around about 100K to see it built the way in which I've envionsed it). Now, who's got the bigger petrolhead family? :D

MV75
20th April 2008, 11:36 PM
Call me a bogan, a rev head, a neanderthal - whatever. In my opinion, todays' cars couldn't hold a candle to yesterday's modified examples of muscle when given the magic touch. :)

I will then. ;)

Today's muscle/super cars do indeed crap all over the old carby stuff. :D Give me efi any day. And give me the finest factory built v8, the toyota 1uz. Good for ~600+ kw stock bottom end.

Ok, I can and do appreciate a well restored/modded older car, and the originals such as the corvette (g1 tracks), that current day even hotter cars are styled after (c06 vette), no doubts there, but are definitly not to my ownership tastes. I personally am zero % interested in owning anything pre 1990.

And normally I don't really like nissan, but the gtr is an exception. It reminds me of what japanese styling is all about, and has abandoned the current euro trend. I love that thing for that. And the fact it's bleeding quick, and relatively cheap.

And yes, I hate modern eurotrash and "euro styling" with a passion. Especially wanker driving/fog lights on cars. But also in the process of making something "euro styled", it becomes dead shite boring and uninspired. Sadly that's the way Subaru is going too.
________
Jeep cherokee (xj) (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ))

SeishinKibou
20th April 2008, 11:57 PM
Woah! This would be pretty awesome to see on the streets! I would so get one if I had the money. *nod* [Though I wouldn't mind a TF:A Bumblebee right now. It would be cheaper and easier to park XD. I just can't find the right car for it. So many smart cars to choose from >_<]

Soundwarp
21st April 2008, 06:19 AM
OK i have a mate that used to work at Holden, he still has friends there. They were in shock and disgust at the mention of this so it was news to them..........

MV75
21st April 2008, 11:49 AM
http://jalopnik.com/377283/2010-chevy-camaro-ss-caught-on-nurburgring-stig-at-the-wheel
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/3907

And from a good source to me:

"Its a VE commodore with a different top. We (as in Australia) helped develop it and yes it has been posted before. Test mules have been photographed in AU for 2 years. Engines will be LS3 (in a possible HSV version) and L98 V8's with a new V6 with direct port injection being tossed about. Suspension is the same as a VE as are the gearboxes. "

At least it follows a design that isn't blind freddy with an excess of plastic mouldings like the 'whore is. :D

So you might want to tell your mates to take a break from selling daewoos and have a look around. ;)
________
Subaru Ea Engine (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Subaru_EA_engine)

goro
21st April 2008, 12:07 PM
urm.. has anyone seen the latest wheels.. monaro is back (albeit a 2 door commonwhore (oops i mean commmodore) again!

MV75
21st April 2008, 12:16 PM
Meh, it made a comeback a few years ago as just a two door 'whore before they put the hsv badge back on.
________
MARIJUANA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWdazX4KGzw)