PDA

View Full Version : Software query for CG Transformers

UltraMarginal
18th January 2011, 03:25 PM
Hi,

So, i'm an engineer, I've done a fair bit of CAD modelling and I've always wanted to try my hand at making transformers type model's. I've had a look online and so far not found anything particular.

I'm wondering does anyone know what software hasbro/takara use to develop their designs? I realise it wouldn't be free software but there may be a cut down version that is relatively cheap or a limited use free version like there is for some other CAD packages. I might even be able to compare it to software I have and be happy that there are no significant differences.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

blackie
18th January 2011, 05:29 PM
what do you currently use?

UltraMarginal
19th January 2011, 09:07 AM
At work I use CATIA V5, though licences for that prohibit home use. especially on an engineers wage.
At home I am learning to use a piece of software called Co-Create, it's a totally different philosohy to CATIA and I'm having some issues initially with using it. There isn't much in the way of tutorials, it is free though.

Sam
19th January 2011, 05:41 PM
Not sure if Blender is something that suits you?

http://www.blender.org/

(free 3d modelling software)

UltraMarginal
19th January 2011, 08:13 PM
Not sure if Blender is something that suits you?

http://www.blender.org/

(free 3d modelling software)

Hey Sam,
Thanks for the suggestion, looks really interesting, though I think it's more for animation. I'm thinking more along the lines of Modeling for toy design.
And just in case you're wondering I'm not planning on starting an Australian I-Gear and developing a bunch of seeker knockoff's.:)

I'm certainly going to have a play with blender though. just for the fun of it.:D

gamblor916
19th January 2011, 08:51 PM
Rhino3D has a trial version available. I use it a bit and quite like it. There's a functional OSX development version too.
www.rhino3d.com

Tober
20th January 2011, 12:02 AM
Solidworks. (http://www.solidworks.com/default.htm)

I'm not sure what the various licensing structures are or weather there is a trial version etc, but it's what allot of the 3rd party developers use.

KillinSpoon
20th January 2011, 12:17 AM
At work I use CATIA V5, though licences for that prohibit home use. especially on an engineers wage.
At home I am learning to use a piece of software called Co-Create, it's a totally different philosohy to CATIA and I'm having some issues initially with using it. There isn't much in the way of tutorials, it is free though.

I was actually going to suggest that they probably use CATIA, until I saw this...
I have a student license from uni last year for it. I know it isn't much but I POSSIBLY could get you one (they cost about $90, which is a lot better than $15000 haha)

Then again, you have access to it at work and would know it better than I do anyway.

UltraMarginal
20th January 2011, 03:28 PM
I was actually going to suggest that they probably use CATIA, until I saw this...
I have a student license from uni last year for it. I know it isn't much but I POSSIBLY could get you one (they cost about $90, which is a lot better than $15000 haha)

Then again, you have access to it at work and would know it better than I do anyway.

the thing is that 15K is for the base version and it's annual... per license. I wouldn't be surprised if HasTak use CATIA but I was hoping it was something a little more accessible. I'll give SolidWorks a bit of a crack and see what that's like.
maybe in the near future I'll be able to post some work up.

Tabias Prime
20th January 2011, 03:32 PM
have you tried Googles SketchUp......and its free:p:p:p

UltraMarginal
20th January 2011, 03:55 PM
I think my originl question may have been slightly misinterpereted, I'm interested in knowing what specific software HASTAK actually use.

As helpful as peoples suggestions have been and I will be checking out each of these packages, just for curiosity's sake if nothing else. I'm keen to know what HASTAK use so I can either find a cheap/free cut down version to play with or something similar to what they use. that way I can develop an insight into the way they develop the toys/figures.

it may even be something they have developed in house?

Who knows I may even be able to build up a portfolio and eventually get a job with them working remotely in Australia. :D wishful thinking I know.

blackie
20th January 2011, 03:55 PM
Solidworks. (http://www.solidworks.com/default.htm)

I'm not sure what the various licensing structures are or weather there is a trial version etc, but it's what allot of the 3rd party developers use.

<3 solidworks

i_amtrunks
20th January 2011, 04:18 PM
it may even be something they have developed in house?

This is very likely, though really alot of modelling/3d Animation software all had similar roots, just change a few names of tools/processes/filters and whammo. :p

I started out with 3DSMAX, an allrounder program, that did everything okay, but nothing great (light filters were very good at the time around build 7) while Maya is a far better modelling software, and also better for large polygon rendering (lots of items, or detail).

Commercial programs are a different breed to a modelling software (due to the emphasis on being able to manipulate and change the models... so your best bet is to just get a program ans start playing around on it.

KillinSpoon
20th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't Solidworks just be a dumbed down CATIA?
Seeing as they're both made by Dassault?

UltraMarginal
20th January 2011, 11:03 PM
Wouldn't Solidworks just be a dumbed down CATIA?
Seeing as they're both made by Dassault?

I have heard it's basically a simpler version. Same style of operation but with a lot less workbenches.