PDA

View Full Version : TF Animated Ep18 - Return of The Headmaster

Pulse
21st April 2008, 10:29 AM
Hmm, not a bad episode :). Not bad & not exactly great either.

The human villain wasn't exactly overbearing, but it seemed as though the episode focussed on only 3-4 characters - & that's it. Sari, Bumblez & Bulkhead had a pointless substory (so in the writer's mind, all girls cry because they regularly let their emotions get the better of them?) that appeared as though it was cobbled together at the last minute. Sigh.

No G1 throwbacks today (in this particular episode, that was probably a good thing), no Ratchet & no Decepticons. Oh well.

7 out of 10. They really need to work on these sub-stories so that they don't seem like an afterthought.

Paulbot
21st April 2008, 10:34 AM
So this was on Saturday? Huh. I looked online yesterday but didn't see mention of it.

Pulse
21st April 2008, 10:41 AM
So this was on Saturday? Huh. I looked online yesterday but didn't see mention of it.

Check Youtube. FanTransformers uploaded it, oh, about an hour ago.

kup
21st April 2008, 11:40 AM
From the review it seems as if they have gone back to being mediocre again. That's too bad as I was enjoying the last three episodes and if that pace had continued my opinion on the series would have turned around.

IMO having these 'filler' episodes as the backbone of the series really brings it down as they are so considerably lesser than the Decepticon centered episodes that it almost feels as if its a different series altogether. The atmosphere and pace of these episodes changes radically and that also affects my enjoyment of the series.

MV75
21st April 2008, 11:56 AM
Mmmmm tv.com has it listed for next week, so seeing this thread is a surprise. Well, torrenting I go then. :)
________
No2 vaporizer review (http://no2vaporizer.net)

Tober
21st April 2008, 12:03 PM
It was a development episode for Vector and Optimus - that's about it.

You wouldn't even miss this episode if it wasn't for the return of Headmaster - which the title gives away anyhow. There's no real story development except him returning to Sumdac Systems and them focusing on making military robotics.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Paulbot
21st April 2008, 12:07 PM
Mmmmm tv.com has it listed for next week, so seeing this thread is a surprise. Well, torrenting I go then. :)

I wonder if this is another Canadian or Website leak?

Tober
21st April 2008, 12:22 PM
I wonder if this is another Canadian or Website leak?

It's from a Canadian station that isn't taking a break at the same time as Carton Network - so I guess they are going to stay ahead for a while.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=173342

The current torrent quality is really crappy btw and is labeled as ep 17.

SilverDragon
21st April 2008, 12:24 PM
FYI, Canada got the episode first, since CN is airing something else.

I thought it was better than the Headmaster's debut episode. That said, it was actually really good (like this series ever has any not at-least good episodes...okay, BESIDES Nanosec and Total Meltdown).

I really liked Sentinal getting humiliated by the Headmaster. It's what he had coming to him, after all. The Sentinal/Optimus interaction was really well-done, too.

"You ripped my arm off!"
"It was trying to shove spikes into my neck!"

Tutor Bot gets his revenge! I thought that was pretty funny.

I think Headmaster is my favourite human villain (though I dislike most of them, so it isn't really much). He's funny and he's actually a credible threat.

Sari's subplot did feel a little tacked on, but I felt that it was important to at least address the results of learning that she couldn't prove her existance and

Who's Vector?

Tober
21st April 2008, 12:34 PM
Who's Vector?

The one everyone else calls Sentinel :P

MV75
21st April 2008, 12:44 PM

You wouldn't even miss this episode if it wasn't for the return of Headmaster - which the title gives away anyhow. There's no real story development except him returning to Sumdac Systems and them focusing on making military robotics.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Yea, the rest of the season looks like it has got great potential for what hapens in it.

Yep, I saw that torrent, (comments), I'll wait for a better one to come along before downloading. :)
________
Teen vid (http://teenvid.org)

i_amtrunks
21st April 2008, 02:53 PM
Watched it on youtube while eating lunch.

Apparently CN in the USA are showing the new Ben 10 series, which has put them a week behind YTV in Canada...

Anywho its not a bad episode, I personally enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't in any way "must see" or "pivotal" to the series. Headmaster did more of the same as his first appearance nothing new at all, but his new boss Mr.Powell has shown himself to be fairly conniving and clever, he might be quite the pain until the Decepticons repair themselves.

More screen time for Sentinel, yet he is the same old bot; arrogant, elitist and somewhat moronic. How he is in the Elite Guard with fighting skills such as he has is beyond me, at least Jazz showed why he is in the Elite Guard last week.
Headmaster's ability to power up the Autobots weapons could be used well in the future, although one would think the Autobots would already have their weapons running at maximum efficiency.

Sari storyline didn't really do anything, Bumblebee was told by Prowl for the umpteenth time to listen/sit still/be quiet to learn. That was about it.

So not a bad episode, but not great, missing Ratchet, Jazz and having a cameo from Prowl automatically relegates this episode down my list of favourites, before you start looking at the very little character and plot development that occurs.

Gutsman Heavy
21st April 2008, 03:24 PM
I loved bulkheads glasses, making him look like the Cybertronian equivelent of me, size and all.

Robzy
21st April 2008, 06:22 PM
It was a fairly average episode. Captain Fanzone was great! :)

autobreadticon
21st April 2008, 09:20 PM
great fun, man!! def one the funniest episodes in the series
new robots introduced and a potential toy (leader size) for headmaster sentintel maybe..:)

STL
22nd April 2008, 01:06 AM
I'm surprised to say I thought this was very good. Reading the early comments, my expectations were pretty low but the episode was quite successful in my mind.

I think the exploration of the Sentinel Prime angle really worked well and gave both characters a great deal of growth. They aren't exactly friends but they've moved forward somewhat. What I find particularly interesting is it is alluded to that Sentinel somehow caused Optimus to get demoted many cycles ago. It's a nice little question that I want answered that will only shape this Prime even more.

Speaking of Prime, I really think he's starting to shine here. He's learning the ropes of leadership but showing that he can learn how to handle himself. He learns to deal w/ Sentinel's irritable demeanour while retaining a measure of compassion that Primes are well known for. To me, this looks to be the Prime that will grow the most.

THe subplot w/ Sari was nice too as for once she was actually very bearable and I did indeed feel for her plight. Prowl getting a cameo was nice as well as Bulkhead and BBs depictions.

The guy who is running Sundac now is a veritable prick. I think they've made him a good villain and I wouldn't be surprise if this is some kind of facsmile or pretender that Megatron created to infilitrate Sundac Systems and start global catastrophe.

Headmaster was okay. Still very annoying but there were a lot of other pluses to easily compensate for him. This series is definitely picking up and I hope for more of the same. Quiet episodes like these are perfectly fine. Hopefully the quality of future filler episodes will be as good as this.

Tetsuwan Convoy
22nd April 2008, 12:55 PM
What I find particularly interesting is it is alluded to that Sentinel somehow caused Optimus to get demoted many cycles ago.

I thought that the adventures of Sentinel, Optimus and Elita 1 in "along came a spider" gave a pretty clear view of why Optimus was kicked out of Autobot acedemy and how much of a prick Sentinel is and was.

MV75
22nd April 2008, 09:40 PM
I finally got around to getting and watching this. Torrent was good quality @ 145mb, but I still wonder how they put up with constant bullshite carp constantly interrupting the show. I do mean that stupid promo stuff, (who cares? I'm watching transformers now), and those stupid instrusive network logos.

Anywho, I liked this episode, I thought it was pretty great, and I wonder what will happen with sari when they leave earth. She'll probably stow away, seeing as how this episode has set her up as being totally cut free from sumdac tower.

Also when they were debating on what Sari might be:

Bulkhead: "a robot?" :D
________
802 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_802)

SilverDragon
24th April 2008, 09:47 AM
The guy who is running Sundac now is a veritable prick. I think they've made him a good villain and I wouldn't be surprise if this is some kind of facsmile or pretender that Megatron created to infilitrate Sundac Systems and start global catastrophe.

A pretender, you say. I think that would be very interesting. It'd also be freaky as hell if Powell split in half to reveal a robot inside him. Kids would be traumatised.

Tommy K
28th April 2008, 04:33 PM
i have made a review on the episode on youtube here is the url

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyKhSCI6mo

Paulbot
11th May 2008, 10:00 PM
I was so/so on this episode, although I liked Sentinel Prime more in this episode than the previous one.