PDA

View Full Version : Reign of Starscream Special review!

bassbot
22nd April 2008, 08:08 AM
Hi there fellow Ozformers!

I was priviliged recently to be asked by Transformers writer and IDW staffer Chris Mowry to write a review for The Reign of Starscream #1 along with a few others. You can check out all the reviews at this link, but i'll post mine below.

http://idwpublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3841

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Reign of Starscream #1 REVIEW
By Luke Barnett

Issue 1 of “The Reign of Starscream” immediately sets itself apart from any other Transformers comic. Whilst it’s the third series from IDW set in the movie universe, Chris Mowry and co-writer EIC Chris Ryall have truly set the characters in this universe apart from their cartoon and comic counterparts.
The series has evolved from a plot set to be called “The Search For Starscream”, to take on a new and more intense focus. We are introduced to Starscream as the Allspark is launched by Optimus Prime off Cybertron techno-soil into space. His point of view captures the Decepticon captain well, keeping the whine out of his voice and imparting a commanding nobility into the character not seen in previous iterations.
Through his point of view we see the Decepticons, under his tenuous command, setting off to follow Megatron and the Autobots that are on his tale, and eventually their landfall on Earth. The art is captivatingly crafted by pro-Transformer artist Alex Milne and colourist Josh Perez, who infuse both the detail of the movie designs and the fluid, active visuals that enthralled fans in 2007.
This Cybertron echoes the dark wasteland seen briefly on screens, and while they battle with the intricate designs, clever positioning and portrait panels further impart this “other” universe to the reader. The edgy and somewhat cramped Cybertron eventually is replaced by the more spacious surrounds of Earth itself, and it’s here that we see Starscream in all his glory. Some sneaky looks at additional scenes from the movie (whatever happened to Barricade you might ask?) are dealt with here by writer and artist in a crisp fashion, and then taken to the next step after Megatron is defeated and Starscream is left to ponder his next move.
To put it simply, Starscream isn’t going to leave anything to chance.
As an Autobot through and through, I was simply hoping that this series might capture some of the grandeur of the movie as well as the creativity that IDW has infused into so many of its Transformer projects. With #1, we better be ready for a new and more consummate (“Lord”) Starscream to take the mantle from his G1 roots.

Pipesqueak
22nd April 2008, 05:30 PM
Nice work! I'm looking forward to this series (when I eventually read it many months down the track when a tp comes out and even though I didn't bother with the other movie comics) mainly because I'm keen to see some of the non-movie characters like landmine etc get a little bit of the limelight

STL
22nd April 2008, 08:57 PM
Nice work! I'm looking forward to this series (when I eventually read it many months down the track when a tp comes out and even though I didn't bother with the other movie comics) mainly because I'm keen to see some of the non-movie characters like landmine etc get a little bit of the limelight

Aye, the cover of #2 made me really interested in the series for that reason. It had Landmine on it and he's one of my favourite toys, I'd love a context for him and Longarm who I thought were both outstanding periphery character toys.

i_amtrunks
23rd April 2008, 08:50 AM
As much as I want to support IDW and everything they do, I just don't care enough about Reign of Starscream since mostly everything in it will be ignored by the movie franchise itself.

That being said I'll probably only skip the single issues and go for the tpb.

bassbot
27th April 2008, 04:52 PM
well, what's coming in #2 may send people back to buy #1, whilst it covers simply starscreams perspective of the movie, his character is awesome, and i think the series as a whole will be worth it.

one page from #2 was asked to be changed by hasbro too btw. bit too gory.

have a look in the hand when you pop into your local comic store, i think it may speak for itself.

but yeah... enough selling here from me... i just think it's awesome. even if movie 2 will do it's own thing.

p.s hasbro told IDW one character they MUSN'T use. ( don't know who, but i've got a couple of guesses... starting with an "s")