Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

I just tried this today on the arms and legs of a Lady Giga Power Master from Overlord I recently acquired which I was lead to believe from an eBay image was whiter than it actually was. Results soon.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

I've had a go with some 6% Hydrogen Peroxide recently and had some nice results on a few small parts and a QuickMix who I completely disassembled. It's not all roses though, as I threw Strafe in whole, as he just needed a little lightening.

It definitely does affect the screws negatively, so I recommend taking the time to disassemble your figures if you're going to do this, but the worst thing for Strafe was that the paint on his face was ruined. He is meant to have a red visor and face (see here) but as you can see in the attached image, his red face was bleached into a browny, bone kind of colour. Sorry for the crappy image, but my camera isn't charged so just used the old iPhone.

It's not the end of the world, since I'll just go over it with red paint at some point, but be warned if you are peroxiding figures with red paint on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    I've had a go with some 6% Hydrogen Peroxide recently and had some nice results on a few small parts and a QuickMix who I completely disassembled. It's not all roses though, as I threw Strafe in whole, as he just needed a little lightening.

It definitely does affect the screws negatively, so I recommend taking the time to disassemble your figures if you're going to do this, but the worst thing for Strafe was that the paint on his face was ruined. He is meant to have a red visor and face (see here) but as you can see in the attached image, his red face was bleached into a browny, bone kind of colour. Sorry for the crappy image, but my camera isn't charged so just used the old iPhone.

It's not the end of the world, since I'll just go over it with red paint at some point, but be warned if you are peroxiding figures with red paint on them.
    The paint wear seems to be random, possibly depending on the plastic and paint type. The people who have done Jetfires had no problem with paint wear.

Good to know as it's a nice warning for anyone wanting to do a Strafe.

Lady Giga:

This is the image the seller provided in their listing on ebay Hungary:

I'm still considering whether to leave neutral feedback because they have not provided a reasonable explanation as to why they provide incorrect coloured images on their auctions.

This the is the actual colour of the plastic after disassembling:

In jar of hydrogen peroxide for an entire day, but was very cloudy:

Around mid-day the next day after a very sunny morning:

Reassembled:

The plastic has gone from being approximately 30% yellow stained to 5% yellow stained after nearly two days exposure to the chemicals.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

That looks amazing!

My Giga also had a bit of yellowing on the legs and it got cleared up in one day with the H2O2.

Right now I have Scourge wings submerged. They are not totally yellowed but had yellow 'spots' on them. The right side of the wings cleared nicely and now I am doing the left. I also have another severely yellowed Scourge which I will give it ago once I am finished off with this one.

Default Another WIN for H2O2!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

fark yeah! I no longer have to be paranoid about my rare TF's getting yellowed! . so yeah, Grand and Fort maximus,...im looking at you!!
    Prevention is better than cure, but at least a cure is available should the worst happen.

now, if only we can come up with a sure-fire method for reversing the damage on coloured plastics because not all of the coloured plastics respond well to H2O2.

some coloured plastics repair fine, whilst others fade!!!

Wow, all these results are really positive. I haven't had occasion to try it yet, but I'll be sure to rest easy knowing yellowing now has a cure.

Bruticus, that is freaking awesome!

Was that done with the 30% H2O2?

I am currently trying 6% on spare Scourges which were severely yellowed. They are clearing a noticeably well after 4 days but still have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Bruticus, that is freaking awesome!

Was that done with the 30% H2O2?

I am currently trying 6% on spare Scourges which were severely yellowed. They are clearing a noticeably well after 4 days but still have a long way to go.
    My results are based on 35% H2O2 and after ~9-12 hrs indoors with a UV lamp.
    However, theHandsomeCrab has said earlier that he only needed to use it for a couple of hours to work, so even faster results are possible with the high strength H2O2!

btw, are your scourges the ones with a light blue plastic on the top with a dark blue sticker or the ones with a factory standard dark blue plastic top and no sticker required??
    i'm interested to know if the dark blue plastic version fades or not.

I'm also curious to know if the bubbles that are normally formed, inside the glass jar, are a resultant of a chemical process and indicates that the H2O2 is breaking down? If this is the case, then there is a chance that the H2O2 will lose its strength with multiple use. I dont know for sure, just speculating at the moment.

Maybe someone here will know.