Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Alt Mode and Best Robot Mode in Your Collection

My fav alt mode is definitely Generations Jetfire. I love how it homages the original Jetfire and I'm unashamedly a Macross/Robotech fan. I've always been partial to jets anyway.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    My fav alt mode is definitely Generations Jetfire. I love how it homages the original Jetfire and I'm unashamedly a Macross/Robotech fan. I've always been partial to jets anyway.
    I really love how the toy is basically flipping the bird at Harmony Gold after HG's failed lawsuit against Hasbro.

This is a really hard question.
    I love the Alt modes that really look like they could be rea. as such, a whole lot of the movie toys hit that target. The Twins Icecream truck is a standout.

ROTF Mindwipe is outstanding, having no real robot kibble at all in vehicle mode.

I bought MP G2 Sideswipe entirely on the strength of him being a black Lamborghini.

The generations Junkion mould is the best looking motorbike that has ever been produced by the brand in my mind.

The first MP Starscream looked like a model plane it has that good an alt mode.

favourite bot mode:
    ROTF Demolisher has a really unique interesting bot mode, on top of having a very realistic looking alt mode.

The teen Masterpieces, have a great visual aesthetic, what the cartoon characters would look like if they actually transformed from 'real' looking alt modes, the lambos, datsuns, Wheeljack and Tracks all look outstanding in bot mode (and alt mode)

MP soundwave, is pretty much a perfect soundwave.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Okay, I'm gonna go through my collection and pick a stand out alt mode from each year. Again, I'm particularly drawn to modes that look or work well as robots in disguise.

1984: Soundwave. Realistically scaled radio microcassette player where the AA batteries even become the weapons! Also, 5mm posts FTW.
    1985: Downshift. What a silly-car is the Celica.
    1986: Ultra Magnus. Okay, the trailer is unrealistic, but the interplayability with other Autobot Cars is just too much fun. It was always so cool making him haul other Autobots to battle. It's a shame that the scene of Ultra Magnus doing this in the Battle of Autobot City was deleted from Transformers The Movie.
    1987: Goldbug. Finally, a realistically proportioned Volkswagen Beetle.
    1988: Nightbeat. Okay, the chopper flames on the side of a blue Porsche 959 aren't standard, but also not as conspicuous as the racing decoes on Jazz!
    1989: Swindler. Great Scott, he's a DeLorean! Honourable mention to Greasepit for his service station base!
    1990: Big Daddy. A 1957 Chevy, and that name!
    1991: Joe, the Super Hitachi Express train. I've been on this train a few times in Japan.
    1992: Discharge, the cute little fire engine with the funny name.
    1993: Optimus Prime. Yeah, I don't own too many toys from the G2 era (my collecting slowed down during this time), but hey, it's a Freightliner FL86, it works. Ignore the huge stickers on the sides of the trailer.
    1994: Skram; Chevrolet Corvette Stingray with exposed engine.
    1995: Frenzy. Another Porsche 959 only without attention-drawing chopper flames. And yay, another Decepticon on this list!
    1996: Insecticon. Yeah, a lot of the early BW toys had realistic looking beast modes, but a beetle would be able to sneak about human society without being noticed (assuming that he can mass-shift down to the size of an actual insect). And remember that pre-cartoon BW continuity was set on modern day Earth, so my BW picks are based on this assumption.
    1997: K-9. As mentioned before, a German shepherd dog. A popular pet and wouldn't look out of place.
    1998: Big Mos. Don't forget the Aeroguard.
    1999: Mach Kick. No horsing around.
    2000: Super Fire Convoy; Hino Branbilar fire engine.
    2001: X-Brawn; Mercedes Benz ML320
    2002: Crosscut; Honda City R hatchback. Yeah, I know I'm picking a Diaclone mould that was basically reissued as a Transformer character, but 2002 was a crap year for TF collecting with bugger all new toys released.
    2003: Binaltech Lambor; Dodge Viper SRT-10
    2004: BT Jazz; Mazda RX-8. Zoom-zoom. Special mention to Hound/Swindle, Jeep Wranglers.
    2005: BT Overdrive; Honda S2000.
    2006: Alternator Mirage; Ford GT. And one of the few Alternators that I consider superior to its BT counterpart.
    2007: Speed Dial 800; mobile phone. We all have one. Special mention to Frenzy.
    2008: Stockade; modified Cadillac Escalade SUV.
    2009: Alternity Bumblebee; Suzuki Swift. Honourable mention to Ejector the toaster.
    2010: Reveal the Shield Megatron; Walther P38 - not every day that Hasbro makes a gunformer that they can legally sell. Plus it's compatible with MP Jets!
    2011: Wheelack; Mercedes Benz E550. Honourable mention to Soundwave, but the E550 is less attention-drawing than the SLS AMG.
    2012: MP Lambor; Lamborghini Countach - yay, HasTak got the Lamborghini licence back!
    2013: MP Streak; Datsun Fairlady 280Z
    2014: MP Bumble; Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 - yay, HasTak got the VW licence back!
    2015: Offroad; utility truck
    2016: MP Ironhide; Nissan Cherry van
    2017: Sqweeks; beat up Vespa motor-scooter
    2018: Cogman; Aston Martin DB11 and the only Headmaster car with both a driver and passenger seat

That’s a very impressive and comprehensive list! Are you going to do the same for the robot modes?

Oh Mach kick. My partner is very into horses and also very supportive of my transformer love (though my figures are primarily at work) and oh how I’ve longed to get her the one and only transforming horse!

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    That’s a very impressive and comprehensive list! Are you going to do the same for the robot modes?
    Hhnnn... robot mode's harder to choose and this is going to be super subjective. At least with alt modes I had a clear criterion of "robot in disguise," but robot? I guess whatever's the most aesthetically pleasing for me at the time... <shrugs> I won't bother explaining reasons for these, cos yeah... it's just whatever tickles my fancy.

1984: Optimus Prime
    1985: Shrapnel
    1986: Ultra Magnus
    1987: Triggerhappy
    1988: Getaway
    1989: Wildfly
    1990: Gingam
    1991: Sideswipe
    1992: Talon
    1993: Colossus/Clench
    1994: Megatron
    1995: Laser Optimus Prime
    1996: Terrorsaur
    1997: Cicadacon
    1998: Megatron
    1999: Heinlad (honourable mention to X9 Ravage)
    2000: Super Mach Alert
    2001: High Tower
    2002: Super Side Burn
    2003: Binaltech Smokescreen
    2004: MP1 Convoy
    2005: BT Overdrive
    2006: Classics Mirage
    2007: Leader Class Optimus Prime
    2008: Henkei Sunstreaker
    2009: Leader Class Optimus Prime
    2010: Sea Spray
    2011: Jetwing Optimus Prime (hon. mention to TFPFE Arcee)
    2012: TFPRID Deluxe Vehicon
    2013: Metroplex
    2014: Rhinox (hon. mention to Swerve)
    2015: Ultra Magnus
    2016: MP33 Inferno
    2017: LG God Ginrai
    2018: MB Nemesis Prime (hon. mention to MP Sunstreaker)

I found this question too hard as there are too many toys I really love in either robot or alt-mode. Maybe if I broke it down by year like Gok has I might have better success

So since I can't decide I'll just give a few honorable mentions:

Alt-Modes:
    Cybertron Lugnutz - I thought he was a fantastic looking motorcycle, especially for a scout-sized figure. And the missle rack that would pop up from his bike mode when you used the Cyber Planet Key actually looked pretty good on him, like it was meant to be there.
    MP10 Optimus - just the best rendition of Optimus with his trailer ever!

Robot Modes:
    MP36 Megatron - sometimes I find the bot modes a tad bland on the MP's but I think Megatron looks fantastic!
    Thrilling 30 Skids - Loved the amount of weapons and missile racks on this guy! Plus he was very well proportioned with a great colour scheme

I'm sure I could think of many more, it's just so hard to narrow them down. For instance yesterday my son and I were playing with UW Long Haul and I was thinking what a great bulky vehicle mode he had. But then today someone else might be my fav

I had a feeling for those who have absolutely massive collections this would be tough, but its great to see you guys made an effort!

Just a quick shout out to my Car Robot/RiD Autobots. Here's a graphic that I made comparing the toys with their real life counterparts. Far more deserving of the name, "Robots in Disguise" than the recent series which featured 0 actual real-life/licensed alt modes.

That's pretty damn cool for accuracy.

Now I want an updated CHUG version of rail racer