Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decision Thread

I think all proper transformers fan should have masterpiece optimus in some form or way, I just luckily got my hands on MP-04 optimus prime convoy thanks to emmai on this forum. So that frees up my double of optimus prime 20th anniversary dvd edition with electronic stand fully complete and boxed. I'm willing to sell it a bit cheaper to you, definitely under 150 around 120 maybe lower, let me know if your interested. I live in melbourne too, but i'm a lazy guy and cbf posting at post office.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Umm... hey guys, let's be mindful of bidoofdude's relatively young age. If I were in your situation bidoofdude, I would recommend either option 3 or 4 -- because that's absolutely what I would do if I were your age. Actually, option 3 is pretty much what I did do when I was that age (i.e. buying lots of toys from local retail stores - only that it was G1 at the time ).

While Masterpiece Transformers appeal to us oldies who grew up with G1, I don't really see the appeal to younger fans who don't hold the same nostalgia. Also, your average Deluxe offers better play value than most Masterpieces which tend to be more like articulated and transformable (and very expensive) display pieces than proper action figures.
    Actually, I am very nostalgic, I seemed to wathc way more G1(2005 reruns) than cybertron. The only thing was, I pretty much only got cybertron toys (beacause they were in). In fact, I am quite particular and really only buy toys that appeal to G1 as they are very nostalgic to me. I've always wanted a g1 prime since i first saw g1 in 2004, so yeah, really wanted one for ages. I don't know why I missed the first too. I plan to start out with some classics, then when the bucks start getting high I can get some G1s. something thats really bad for me is whenever I go to retail stores, its always that time when there's absolutely no G1 styled toys- at all. So I actually am quite nostalgic as its pretty much the only tf cartoon I remember from when I was young.

Also, feel free to ask many decision making questions in this thread as it has been seen here, thre are many willing to answer your queries.

Depending on the wait time between your birthday and Christmas (that wait time might give you the opportunity to earn that extra $100?), I'll toss in my +1 with what Overlord said

Quite the dilemma, I would bring it down to getting the option now that will go up in value the most one year from now (so you don't have to pay the scalpers).

I like Option 1 and 5 as well. If you were to chase Classicsverse figs, I would go with leige's suggestion. Hold onto some monies and hawk for the forums and eBay for the occasional bargains. I skipped Classics/Henkei/Universe/Classicse 2.0 during their retail release (repeated lapses of judgement), and had to pay 120%-200% (MISB) for the majority of those figs, even though I got one I made sure I was paying less than the average asking price. Prices on eBay are static now and set for the most of them.

The game's not going to go up in value over time, and whilst its a good idea to buy figs at retail or retail sale prices now rather than let it go up later, FOC Deluxes aren't really the Deluxes we're used to...

ok, thanks for the judgement guys, but i think we're getting a little off track. No one else has any decision making queries? thought there was more out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    ok, thanks for the judgement guys, but i think we're getting a little off track. No one else has any decision making queries? thought there was more out there.
    yeah guys any other decisions you may require assistance with?
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

I'd go for option 4 or 5. Give yourself a bit of variety, rather than just one or two larger figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    I plan to start out with some classics, then when the bucks start getting high I can get some G1s. something thats really bad for me is whenever I go to retail stores, its always that time when there's absolutely no G1 styled toys- at all.
    Classicsverse _are_ G1 styled toys. They're arguably superior to G1 toys in the following ways:
    + More durable. G1 toys break much easier.
    + Superior detailing in sculpts and colour/paint apps. G1 toys are more blocky and you have to apply stickers.
    + Greater articulation. Most G1 toys have poor articulation, they were designed to transform and wield weapons, and that was pretty much it. Classicsverse toys can do all kinds of neat and exciting action poses.
    + Greater cartoon likeness, which I suspect may be a factor for you as someone who got into G1 through the cartoon.
    + MUCH cheaper compared to buying G1 off the secondary market. A MOSC Generations Wheeljack sold at Kmart for $25 but a MISB G1 Wheeljack - that originally sold for less than $20 - I dread to think about how much they'd sell for now. Even a loose (second hand) complete G1 Wheeljack might cost over $50-60... compared to paying $25 for a new minty fresh Generations Wheeljack you can see which deal offers superior value for money. With G1 collecting you're really more paying for the scarcity rather than for the value of the toy.
    + More convenient/easier to collect. Even if you were filthy rich and could afford to buy G1 off the secondary market, you'd still need to find a considerable amount of time and effort to track all those toys down. Then you run the risk of dodgy sellers, or maybe there's a problem with the toy etc. - with Classicsverse toys you can always bring them back to the shop for an exchange/refund if anything goes wrong (like my first Generations Drift that had two of the same hand!), but I don't know if the same can be done with G1 toys bought off the secondary market.
    + No (or much lesser) risk of unknowingly buying fakes. How bad would it be if you spent hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on G1 toys believing they were real, only to discover that they were fakes? That's not going to happen if you buy Classicsverse toys from your local shops.

Ultimately what you want to collect is up to you, but if I were you I'd stick to Classicsverse. Cheaper, easier, better. Anyway, feel free to have a look through the G1 & Classicsverse comparison thread. Reissues is another option you might like to consider if you're really keen on collecting G1 - they're perfectly legit and are also cheaper and easier -- and also better because they won't have physically aged as much as vintage G1 toys. And in many cases they've made improvements on G1 moulds with the reissues (e.g. full powered missile launchers - original G1 launchers can barely shoot if at all).

Pffft, yeah right , just shows how you really don't buy online at all Gok - G1 wheeljack loose nowadays cost way more than $50-60, try doubling that and with the proliferation of them KOs it's just ever so hard not to get gipped. I got mine 6 years ago and it cost me $80 + postage only because I was the only bidder at 2 am.

Sometimes , I really wish Takara tomy would retromould the remaining G1 figures left for them to issue out under encore just to really drive the prices down and destroy those KOs- Mirage, Sunstreaker and Wheeljack
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Pffft, yeah right , just shows how you really don't buy online at all Gok
    The closest I come to buying Transformers online is standing in a queue at Target.