Released here - February, 2017
    Approximate Retail Price – $50
    Approximate Size - 17cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-modes - aircraft carrier, jet
    Main Colours - Dark grey, light grey, red
    Main Accessories - gun, "Blunderbuss" Titan Master component

Robot Mode

A pretty decent figure. The robot mode is now a suitably imposing looking hulking mass, as one would expect a robot to be if it transformed into a freakin' aircraft carrier! It looks a lot more gargantuan than the basic block of a figure that the G1 toy is. I like how just 1/3 of the cockpit forms the chest. It's a lot less goofy looking than the G1 figure and also helps to sell the titanic look of the robot overall.
    Points of articulation: 15

Jet Mode

The cockpit and mid-section look quite nice and the arms look alright resting along the side, but the legs are an awkward mess. Being mediocre at best, this would have to be this toy's weakest mode. Not terrible but nothing to really write home about. The cockpit window is also really tight on mine and hard to open. Although I must admit that having Blunderbuss sitting in the cockpit as a pilot does looks pretty cool and helps to make the jet look not gargantuan (if you imagine Blunderbuss as being human sized).

Aircraft Carrier Mode

I quite like this mode! Okay, it's pretty much just a lump of a table, but honestly, that's all an aircraft carrier needs to be. I have a soft spot for aircraft carrier TFs cos they're just so much darn fun - starting with Flattop in 1989, then Tidal Wave in 2003 (although I got Micron Legend Shockwave) - I just like the idea of these mobile fortresses. Broadside has taken this to a whole new level. The Voyager size figure dwarfs both Flattop and Shockwave's carrier components, but another dimension to this toy's play pattern comes in the form of the Combiner Wars Aerialbot figurines included with the toy! These Aerialbots are tiny and are more or less in scale with Broadside as an aircraft carrier (whereas the Flattop Micromaster and Armada Ramjet Mini-Con are oversized). This again helps to make Broadside look massive - as it should, because aircraft carriers are effing huuuge! These tiny Aerialbots also remind me of the little Valkyries that came with this 1980s Macross SDF toy. Okay, there are a lot of seams on the deck, but I can easily forgive it since the robot mode isn't a blocky lump like the G1 toy. The antenna array on top of the control tower is a nice touch. This mode is simple but it works. On the underside is a flip-out keel with the jet's stabilisers and flip out struts acting as supports, allowing the boat to remain upright for display purposes. Okay, the underside doesn't look as nice as say Flattop's or Tidal Wave's, but remember that this is a Triple Changer.

Overall

On the whole this toy isn't as good as Generations Springer or Sandstorm, but on the other had it's much better than Blitzwing. I suggest only using Blunderbuss as a pilot for the jet mode (he just looks like he's on the toilet taking a massive dump on the carrier mode ) and the Aerialbots for the carrier (they look like parasites when attached to the jet mode) as it helps to sell Broadside's "mass shifting" between the modes as also explicitly stated in the toy's tech specs bio.
    WRECK AND RULE!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th May 2017 at 09:49 PM.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Do thw Aerialbots have to be removed between modes or can they be permanently glued down? If I get him Broadside will have to serve a few years as a toy and I would hate to lose the jets.

The Aerialbots plug in really tightly and you kinda need to jiggle them to remove them, so they don't need to be glued into place. They can be left on between modes, although it looks silly in jet and robot mode. You could store the Aerialbots inside the cockpit.

Man I really want this guy and you know why? Because of those little Aerialbots. They close the deal!

I like the look of the robot mode and carrier mode looks cool too. The jet, hrm.... I think I saw on the interwebs some way to make the back fit a bit more flush, but not having the toy, I just glanced upon them.

Did Broadside get released in Japan? I really do hope that TT release this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Did Broadside get released in Japan? I really do hope that TT release this guy.
    Not yet, no announcements yet either.

Did Broadside get released in Japan?
    He most certainly did!
    I really do hope that TT release this guy.
    If I were Takara Tomy I would release Legends Broadside with a whole new Headmaster that resembled G1 Broadside's alternate head design as briefly seen in the G1 cartoon and frequently used in the G1 comics. And I would call this new Headmaster unit "Wrecker" just for that extra level of fan service

P.S.: I've made a photocomic featuring Broadside here.

He looks fantastic, thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos.

Those mini aerialbots - they look tiny! I haven't seen accessories that small since G1

Not a fan of the second ugliest feet in the TR series (as previously shown by the Alpha Trion toy) but I understand they're necessary for transformation into carrier mode which is the strongest mode and it would be a bitch trying to paint those little aerialbot jets. And speaking of jets, I like the humorous jet mode but it doesn't have the hilarity of the voyager OP jet mode.

P.S. I forgot to mention that Twinferno has the ugliest feet in the series.

I love Broadside and his bot mode finally gets some justice, however I just can't shake the opinion that 30 years later they've actually made a WORSE triple changer than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I love Broadside and his bot mode finally gets some justice, however I just can't shake the opinion that 30 years later they've actually made a WORSE triple changer than the original.
    For the life of me, I cannot see how the TR version is worse than the G1 version. Unless you're referring to a specific mode or modes.