Page 924 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 904914919920921922923924925926927928929934944 ... LastLast
Results 9,231 to 9,240 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Eep... I do keep a lot of accessories in various plastic bags in storage...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Eep... I do keep a lot of accessories in various plastic bags in storage...
    So do I
    Nothings melted or blown apart so far & we're talking about 30 y/o accessories

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    There are comments on TFW recently that toys in airtight bags to protect them from corrosion, does damage from the chemical fumes leaching from some plastics in the toys and eating into other plastics because of different chemical recipes and those fumes not escaping from the bag.
    That's really interesting to note. I'm guessing a plastic bag is ok for short term storage but other options are needed for longer term... hmm... need to think on that as I've been keeping accessories and Kreo in plastic bags to keep weapons and smaller sets together.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    That's really interesting to note. I'm guessing a plastic bag is ok for short term storage but other options are needed for longer term... hmm... need to think on that as I've been keeping accessories and Kreo in plastic bags to keep weapons and smaller sets together.
    It is certainly based on the plastic, I have had various toys and items stored in baggies for years and the only ones to come out dodgy were the softer type plastics, especially Dino Riders and weapons with plastic like theirs. Some minor trouble with TF items but it is rarer and the plastic that I can think of for what I collect was last released in the Beast era.
    I'm sure there will be modern figures/accessories that might have issues but if it's relatively short term, I wouldn't stress.
    For those in tropical climates it is more of a concern. Not just with the denaturing of plastic but also discolouration.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

I think it is just the softer plastics that are deteriorating relatively fast, and I'm not sure if it is because they are in sealed bags... as the treads on my TF2 Bludgeon (Voyager tank) have already started melting into the hard plastic they are resting against, but have always been out on the shelf.
    The original topic is here on Allspark (a photo is at post #35), which has more examples on the TFW topic.

I remember people saying there was something similar with the rubber pretender shells (the combiner Pretender Monsters), and some rubber tyres... either the soft plastic is melting like an icecube without doing too much damage to other things, or staying solid and melting the hard plastics it is in contact with.
    Yesterday when digging out my Pretenders (to remove the inner robots), I found the Pretender Vehicle Gunrunner, which had rubber rings around the wheels for gripping, and they were melted onto the shelf, forming a flat base to the wheel. I'll take a photo later to post up.

I remember people saying there was something similar with the rubber pretender shells (the combiner Pretender Monsters), .
    This happened to me as well. I had some for years in a temperature controlled room but they had previously been in storage and they went funny sticky on the "shell" much like my Dino Riders figures. They were both stored in different areas but ended up with the same issues. Heat and perhaps humidity initially got them and no matter how I tried to save them the process had already begun

Storage of toys is so important, once a reaction gets set off, be it denaturing or yellowing it can't be stopped.
    I have many desiccants, and large humidity absorbers in my collection room as well as keeping it around 25 degrees all year round to keep the plastic glory in check.
    For those in in the SE corner of Qld and even the Sydney area humidity is the silent wrecker of toys.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

The rubber on the wheels of my Gunrunner... flattened and stuck to the shelf, breaking when trying to unstick them.

The rubber on the wheels of my Gunrunner... flattened and stuck to the shelf, breaking when trying to unstick them.

Those Dunlops do grip don't they?
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

what is the secret mission that alpha trion and metroplex are on in spotlight metroplex?

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    what is the secret mission that alpha trion and metroplex are on in spotlight metroplex?
    Seems related to the Dark Cybertron event and keeping one of Shockwave's ores from him